POTY!
    YOU SUCK OF THE YEAR!

TD >>

Is that official ? image
    We need the YS official over here ! >>

CAN I GET AN AMEN????????? >>

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow! This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen on the forum! Awesome job Daniel! Are you planning on selling any of those 1964 Peace Dollars?
    -Paul >>

Maybe, but not yet. See note on this page:
    Moonlight Mint Gallery
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I want one of those 1964 Peace dollars
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    It seems obvious to me that the "1964 peace dollar" needs a copy stamp on it. You might not be selling it as a numismatic rarity. But down the food chain, the possibility exists. And you don't want to be put in a bad position, defending yourself relating to some idiot who has other more fraudulent ideas. You have enough of that with the 8 trillion chinese Ameros. image

That said, I think it is very cool. And I want one without the copy stamp. It's just that I do not trust humans in general and this would end up bad in my opinion.

• Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806

Wow!!! With coins like those you may have Stephen King or Dean Koontz contacting you.
  • Options

<< <i>It seems obvious to me that the "1964 peace dollar" needs a copy stamp on it. You might not be selling it as a numismatic rarity. But down the food chain, the possibility exists. And you don't want to be put in a bad position, defending yourself relating to some idiot who has other more fraudulent ideas. You have enough of that with the 8 trillion chinese Ameros. image

That said, I think it is very cool. And I want one without the copy stamp. It's just that I do not trust humans in general and this would end up bad in my opinion. >>

That is why I want to be sure first. It is a gray area in the law. It is not a counterfeit since it is stamped on a genuine (1922-1935) Peace Dollar. It is an altered coin. It is apparently legal, for example, to take a 1944-D cent, cut off parts of the "4" to make it look like a "1914-D". It is also legal to sell it, so long as you provide the information as to what it really is when you sell it. Down the road, if it is resold several times eventally as a genuine 1914-D, the last seller who failed to disclose the true nature of it would be liable. But that could be hard to prove.

The only way I would release these is if they are widely publicized first, and the specific die markers are published. I might even see about getting them "slabbed" as modern overstrikes.

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

nice, have fun!

• Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388

<< <i>Now that I've been doing my own stamping (and learning along the way !)
    >>snip<<

And speaking of odd minted items, here is one ( see if you can figure it out image ):

>>image of Kennedy half o/s w/1964-D fantasy Peace $ dies<< >>

Here's one that I have. It's a 1968-D 40% silver Kennedy overstruck with dies from the Racine (Wisconsin) Numismatic Society to celebrate their 50th anniversary in 1988.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>KEWL SQUARED!!!!!!!!

POTY!
    YOU SUCK OF THE YEAR!

TD >>

Is that official ? image
    We need the YS official over here ! >>

CAN I GET AN AMEN????????? >>

Not having heard any objections, I hereby declare this

POST OF THE YEAR!

YOU SUCK OF THE YEAR!

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not having heard any objections, I hereby declare this

POST OF THE YEAR!

YOU SUCK OF THE YEAR! >>

So say us all! image
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks !
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome, awesome, awesome.

I wonder if the 2001-D buffalo silver dollars were struck on these Grabener machines or the replacement machines brought in 2001?

As I recall, the 2001-D buffalo silver dollars were struck between March/April 2001 and July/August 2001. Perhaps someone can verify this?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Looks like I'm way late to this party, but I have to offer comment. PM sent.

• Options

<< <i>Awesome, awesome, awesome.

I wonder if the 2001-D buffalo silver dollars were struck on these Grabener machines or the replacement machines brought in 2001?

As I recall, the 2001-D buffalo silver dollars were struck between March/April 2001 and July/August 2001. Perhaps someone can verify this? >>

I wondered about that. The newest struck coin that I found in the coin press was a 2000-D Lincoln Cent. So at this point, I don't know.
    I also wondered about the 1999-D SBA dollars and the 2000-2001 Sacagawea dollars. But I haven't found any feeding system components
    for small dollar coins.

• Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Alright I got a new hero! Your well deserving of the "You Suck" of the year award. I mean come on! how cool is making your own coins?
  • Options

<< <i>

>>snip<<

And speaking of odd minted items, here is one ( see if you can figure it out image ):

Here's one that I have. It's a 1968-D 40% silver Kennedy overstruck with dies from the Racine (Wisconsin) Numismatic Society to celebrate their 50th anniversary in 1988.

image of o/s Kennedy w/RNS dies >>

Here's a neat overstrike I received today from a guy in Arkansas. It's an old brass Eureka Springs trolley token overstruck with a Gallery Mint Museum 1793 (small head) Liberty Head large cent. What I like about it is that it does not have a Hobby Protection Act COPY stamp on it like many other GMM overstrikes usually have, for instance, some featured by Ken Potter:
    (Top of Page) New In Stock

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very Cool!!! Maybe you can have PCGS slab all the stuff you found in the press!!! image >>

The planchets might be worth something if they got the "First Unstrike" designation.

This is one of the coolest threads I've ever read here, and I don't even collect Modern Crud! image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>snip<<

image of o/s Kennedy w/RNS dies >>

Here's a neat overstrike I received today from a guy in Arkansas. It's an old brass Eureka Springs trolley token overstruck with a Gallery Mint Museum 1793 (small head) Liberty Head large cent. What I like about it is that it does not have a Hobby Protection Act COPY stamp on it like many other GMM overstrikes usually have, for instance, some featured by Ken Potter:
    (Top of Page) New In Stock

image >>

Is that overstruck piece without "Copy" possibly a post- Gallery Mint product (Striker Token or Moffatt & Company) ?
  • Options

<< <i>Is that overstruck piece without "Copy" possibly a post- Gallery Mint product (Striker Token or Moffatt & Company) ? >>

It is listed as struck by Gallery Mint in 1997, the same year they introduced the small head, the year previous was the large head, a GMM engraving error. One of four sets struck.

*Struck 10/23/97 and came with a GMM stamped red label for flip.
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Pretty cool.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daniel, you have done some remarkable work. You are truly talented and sometime I think I need to commission you for work in the future.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    $880 for a bolt! Next time find someone with a lathe to make one for you. Total cost: $10.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Received mine today. It was fun showing them around.
    You should send some to DC
  • Options

<< <i>$880 for a bolt! Next time find someone with a lathe to make one for you. Total cost: $10. >>

It wasn't an ordinary bolt. It has a special flange on one end to slip into a slot, a hex head smaller than the radius of the threads, and other odd features.
    But most of all, it is the adjuster for the lower die block, which takes a 400-ton pounding. So the bolt has to be a special alloy steel.
  • Options
    Just posted some new pictures Moonlight Mint coin press restoration

Oops. The US Mint lost track of this reeded-edge quarter-dollar collar and sold it with the coin press. Laser-engraved US Mint serial/tracking number is C-103-7-X #27463-039 . This collar was used when minting the Grabener Coin Press “25” medals:

In action (blurred part of press super-structure is in motion):

2009 Amero just struck:
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so, how much do you think it costs to strike each coin, just in electricity?
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KOOL !!!
  • Options

<< <i>so, how much do you think it costs to strike each coin, just in electricity? >>

Probably just a few cents each - less than the cost if I was using a hydraulic press.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan, thanks for chronicling the restoration of the Graebner Press. image I live very close to the North American

Mint in Rochester, N.Y., and I've toured their facility, which has produced coinage for many third world

countries for many years. I'm always fascinated by the minting process, especially in the way that you

presented some of the technical aspects of the machinery involved. I'm curious about the auction from

which you obtained the Graebner Press; did you have to compete against any foreign governments for

the lot?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    The press was purchased from an individual who had previously won it at auction, IIRC.
  • Options

<< <i>Dan, thanks for chronicling the restoration of the Graebner Press. image I live very close to the North American

Mint in Rochester, N.Y., and I've toured their facility, which has produced coinage for many third world

countries for many years. I'm always fascinated by the minting process, especially in the way that you

presented some of the technical aspects of the machinery involved. I'm curious about the auction from

which you obtained the Graebner Press; did you have to compete against any foreign governments for

the lot? >>

Yes, as Edix mentioned, The press was bought by a machine tool company at auction and then it sat in a warehouse outside Denver for several years while they tried to sell it. I'm technically the third owner (US Mint first, machine tool company second, me third).
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dcarr....how much does your press weigh?????

Did you use riggers to set in place???

I love your story and your coinage!!!

GB
  • Options

<< <i>dcarr....how much does your press weigh?????

GB >>

Thanks,
    The coin press weighs about 15,000 pounds. Then there is the electrical cabinet (about 1,500 pounds) and the transformer (about 500 pounds). A machine intallation company transported it and placed it in my building. Their electrician ran power from my junction box to the machine, although I had to argue with him on the power requirements (he finally saw things my way).
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

GB >>

Thanks,
    The coin press weighs about 15,000 pounds. Then there is the electrical cabinet (aout 1,500 pounds) and the transformer (about 500 pounds). A machine intallation company transported it and placed it in my building. Their electrician ran power from my junction box to the machine, although I had to argue with him on the power requirements (he finally saw things my way). >>

True three phase power or phase converter???
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    Daniel thats one of the coolest reads anyone has posted in a while.

After reading about all the coins and blanks found in there, it makes one wonder who the Mint sold the press that was used for the 1964 D Peace dollars to. image
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

GB >>

Thanks,
    The coin press weighs about 15,000 pounds. Then there is the electrical cabinet (about 1,500 pounds) and the transformer (about 500 pounds). A machine intallation company transported it and placed it in my building. Their electrician ran power from my junction box to the machine, although I had to argue with him on the power requirements (he finally saw things my way). >>

True three phase power or phase converter??? >>

True 3-phase (208 volts) at junction box. Transformer steps it up to 480 volts (3-phase) to run motor.
  • Options

<< <i>Daniel thats one of the coolest reads anyone has posted in a while.

After reading about all the coins and blanks found in there, it makes one wonder who the Mint sold the press that was used for the 1964 D Peace dollars to. image >>

I also thought about that. My press was built in 1986, so no luck in that regard. But I could hide one of my own 1964-D Peace dollars inside it image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Dan, thanks for chronicling the restoration of the Graebner Press. image I live very close to the North American

the lot? >>

Yes, as Edix mentioned, The press was bought by a machine tool company at auction and then it sat in a warehouse outside Denver for several years while they tried to sell it. I'm technically the third owner (US Mint first, machine tool company second, me third). >>

Private minter Greg Franck-Weiby of Portland wrote me that his sometime creative partner, private minter Tom Maringer of Arkansas, had agonized over whether to attempt to purchase one of those US Mint Gräbener presses when they were offered, ultimately deciding it was beyond his financial reach at the time.
    This is a good a moment as any for readers to take a tour of Tom Maringer's work shop.
  • Options
    I find it amazing that people can study a coin and figure out from which dies it was minted from. I find the OP of this thread more amazing.
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    Tried ordering one of the "25" Grabener Coin Press Medallion's... out of stock.

Went all the way up to and way past my budget trying a few other buttons all out of stock. image

Still way cool just wish I'd have acted faster to get one.
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    Great article in the new Coin World about this. image
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Of Daniel's strikes on the recovered cent planchents, "Ironically, one GP_01_A was subsequently lost inside coin press."

And so, the cycle continues!
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great article in the new Coin World about this. image >>

Anyone have a link?

How many forum members purchased a coin or two?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Great article in the new Coin World about this. image >>

Anyone have a link?

How many forum members purchased a coin or two? >>

No link. I copied the article at my local public library. I picked up one of the planchet defect "25"s.
  • Options

<< <i>Of Daniel's strikes on the recovered cent planchents, "Ironically, one GP_01_A was subsequently lost inside coin press."

And so, the cycle continues! >>

I found it again ! I also lost, and then found, a 1/10th oz gold Amero.
    So nothing is missing at this point. But I'm sure I will lose something in there again
    (maybe for good next time).
  • Options
    Just added a few more pictures to my web site showing pieces of interest struck on this coin press.

34mm John Adams president medal with "D" mint mark, found in the oil pan:

I've been collecting one of each coin and medal that the US Mint struck on my coin press.
    Here are some new additions to the collection:

All the medals produced at the Denver Mint from 1986-2001 were made on this Grabener press.
    As such, this 38mm Denver Mint medal struck off-center is one of the few mint error pieces traceable
    to this particular machine (I bought this one off the BST board here):

Another such error coin, and perhaps the most valuable item ever produced by the
    US Mint using this Grabener press, is the 1989-D Congress commemorative silver dollar
    with the reverse rotated 180-degrees from normal. It is estimated that about 200 of these
    were struck in error with “medal-turn” alignment before the problem was corrected and the rest
    were stuck using the normal “coin-turn” orientation. Current market values for these coins,
    which are rarely available, is around $1,500-$2,500 (I acquired this one from Fred Weinberg):
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>snip<<

image >>

That's cool! I'm a member of RNS!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    I found a 1988-P Kennedy 180 degree rotated reverse in a mint set I purchased from the mint. I traded it for a proof 63 1950 Franklin half, back ina day.

Go Racine Numismatic Society!
    Last year I picked up the 70th anniversary medalets designed and struck by Joe Paonessa. He even included a off center strike for me.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    will your coins pass through pcgs and ngc as genuine?
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options

<< <i>will your coins pass through pcgs and ngc as genuine? >>

Do you mean the ones I minted, or the ones the US Mint made on my press ?
    I think NGC will certify US Mint medals. Neither will certify modern private mint items, I don't think.

But anyone can submit anything that is listed in my catalog to ANACS and get this hand-signed label:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file