Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OPERATION "STONE HOLEY"! (I recruited two Florida forum members for this LIVE treasure qu

Comments

• Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    You know, if he was so worried, you should have just said, "You caught us, I am going to have to ask you to step inside while we perform a survey on the outside of your house as per section 5.2.8 of your Mortgage Agreement. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation."

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    ONETHREEONETHREE Posts: 1,126

<< <i>Did you let him keep the business card that you handed to him?

TC >>

Yeah I let him keep it just in case he finds those darn stones!
    "It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's simply that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody." - Brendan Behan

Proud Participant in Operation "Stone Holey" August 7, 2008
  • Options
    MillerJWMillerJW Posts: 649 ✭✭
    WOW!!! Great thread, that was the most interesting thing i have read in a LONG time!!! Great job guys on not getting into a fight with the mad homeowner! image
    MSgt USAF Jan-06 - Present
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Did you let him keep the business card that you handed to him?

TC >>

Yeah I let him keep it just in case he finds those darn stones! >>

IF he does he better call you!!!!!

imageimageimage

TC
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When you get it, send it directly to PCGS to get it slabbed. Maybe PCGS will pickup some of the shipping cost, since this will create some publicity for them.

Headline: Largest Coin Ever being slabbed by PCGS !image >>

They don't have a slab big enough. They'd bag it for the hole, anyway. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if someone rolled the stones into the water? >>

Exactly my thoughts.

People are slobs. They're right on the edge of the property in the water unless smoeone knew what they were.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I wonder if someone rolled the stones into the water? >>

Exactly my thoughts.

People are slobs. They're right on the edge of the property in the water unless smoeone knew what they were. >>

From my estimation, from the front yard, where LordM said they would be, it would be well over a 100+ yard roll......

TC
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When you get it, send it directly to PCGS to get it slabbed. Maybe PCGS will pickup some of the shipping cost, since this will create some publicity for them.

Headline: Largest Coin Ever being slabbed by PCGS !image >>

They don't have a slab big enough. They'd bag it for the hole, anyway. image >>

I would not accept the excuse of a BB because of the hole, they have already set precedence. Now lets see their new YAP slabimage

BTW, a great thread, I enjoyed reading it very much.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Very entertaining guys.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    i rest my case
    Lord
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is priceless!!!!!!!!!

Dare I say I know where there is a gold ring lost in the muck of a pond in Brookhaven Town?

Oh wait, this is the wrong forum for that. A ring's not a coin. image

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    I bet the stones are still there, buried under 3 inches of dirt and grass. I would use a metal rod, like sewer workers use when locating tile. Are they really giving up?
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't you see what you've started here?

This will be the next HOT area of Numismatics. First the mildly curious show up - scrounging yard sales & Flea Markets. Then the idle rich start reading 14th page filler articles in the WSJ. Soon there is a boom going on in YAP Money >>

<< <i> He also stated that the prior owner was antique dealer and if there were any stones of value she would have taken them with her. >>

It's as I suspected. The stones ended up in an Antique Shop or worst - at Renningers. The only question now is how long? How long before the steel-toed shoes? How long before Legend starts singing the praises of authentic Yap Investing?

Strangley, I'm feeling this urge to seek out Yap money. I want to see it - feel it- experience it's heft - and finally..... to own one .... or two ......image
  • Options
    The BEST post I have ever read here.....
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the most likely scenario is that the antique dealer hauled 'em off somewhere.

Number 2 would be that they are buried beneath the new sod. After all, they were flush with the level of the grass when I saw them back in 1973.

Number 3 was that they took a long roll into the pond, but as one of our intrepid scouts mentioned, that would have been a longish roll, and unless somebody just wanted to hear the splash, it would have been more work than it was worth.

Now I'll have to try and find (a very small) piece of Yap stone money somewhere. Just... because.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Let me know if you find some I want some for the yard. I have been looking on the web with no luck.
    "It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's simply that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody." - Brendan Behan

• Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    Nevermind the Yap stones, James Dean is in tha house!image

Excellent thread, your High Holeynessimage
  • Options
    Hey, guess what... in the photo where you cropped out the poor homeowner we scared to death?

Guess where he is standing!

I didn't notice where he had been cut out until just now, but he's standing on just about the spot where the "treasure" was, in 1973!

The distance is about right.

It was hard for me to visualize at first, with the old carport gone.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    OK, I am game to go over to Camp David to look for something, if you lost it there. I also wouldn't doubt that there is Yap money there. LordM, a very enjoyable and fun Thread. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    woohoo ... sorry I missed it real time ... what a great adventure!!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LordM, do you have a YAP setting on your metal detectorimage Go for a midnight raid and leave a three foot crater right in the guys lawn.image And best of all you will be in the clear... the holey investigation will begin by calling the person on that business card that was left behind.image
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, we need more threads like this!image
  • Options

<< <i>I think the most likely scenario is that the antique dealer hauled 'em off somewhere.

Number 2 would be that they are buried beneath the new sod. After all, they were flush with the level of the grass when I saw them back in 1973.

Number 3 was that they took a long roll into the pond, but as one of our intrepid scouts mentioned, that would have been a longish roll, and unless somebody just wanted to hear the splash, it would have been more work than it was worth.

Now I'll have to try and find (a very small) piece of Yap stone money somewhere. Just... because. >>

I vote for number 2, I think they are still there. I once tried to dig up a cement slab in my backyard, probably weighed about 150lbs. I reached the bottom side of the slab but it was so heavy I could not overturn it. After half a day I gave up, and just covered it in dirt.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    To bring this to Friday and for all those who missed the ending yesterday, I suggest that the Holey One send a copy of this thread to the homeowner to asuage his fears, maybe he'll come on board. Thanks LordM for another great adventure.
    Paul
  • Options
    I thought about asking one of them for the homeowner's phone number so I could call him and apologize for ruffling his feathers with our crazy scavenger hunt (I'm not really surprised he didn't believe their story, as wacky as it is), but in retrospect, it's probably best that we leave him in peace entirely.

• Options

<< <i>I thought about asking one of them for the homeowner's phone number so I could call him and apologize for ruffling his feathers with our crazy scavenger hunt (I'm not really surprised he didn't believe their story, as wacky as it is), but in retrospect, it's probably best that we leave him in peace entirely. >>

The homeowner will have nothing to do with us or this thread. Believe me! If we go back he may have a shotgun waiting for us! image

TC
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Especially if he, as has been suggested he commented, is behind in his mortgage payments and is gun happy.

Darn. I really wanted those stones, I would have paid good money for them. Seriously, I like big coins.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Ebay listing for a book on Yap Stone Coins, in case anyone is interested in learning more. Not my listing.
  • Options
    That guy isn't going to be of any more help. What we need to do is track down the prior owner to see if she has any knowledge of the yap stones. Or wait until the home it goes into foreclosure (hopefully it will not) and pretend to be surveyors. That way we ca do a complete search. image

• Options

<< <i>That guy isn't going to be of any more help. What we need to do is track down the prior owner to see if she has any knowledge of the yap stones. Or wait until the home it goes into foreclosure (hopefully it will not) and pretend to be surveyors. That way we ca do a complete search. image >>

Either contact the previous owner or figure out what landscaping company did the sodwork, they may have just hauled the stones off and could still have them.
  • Options
    Youngsters in the general area? "Hey kid, wanna make 10 Bucks?". Oh, forgot this is 8 Aug. 2008-make that 20 Bucks. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    It's probably just as well that the great holey coins weren't found. Can you imagine Lord Marcovan trying to walk around at a show with a yap coin attached to his hat? That would be quite a burden for him to bear.

Bob
  • Options
    Interesting link, rgcoinguy. I wouldn't mind owning a copy of that book. It's not worth $21 + S&H to me sight-unseen, though.

• Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    Someone should go back there and see if the owner is digging up his yard image
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    Nooo! Please leave the poor guy alone!

I hate the idea that my harebrained, wild idea of looking for some funny rocks from my past might cause this total stranger any problems.

It was fun, though. image

The Yap coins ain't there, probably, or if they are, they are long buried, like my grandmother, who lives on in my fond memories. If so, it is best to let them stay buried.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a cool story, even if the ending wasn't optimal. LM, have you considered writing a letter (pen/paper/envelope/stamp) to the homeowner explaining the nature of the treasure hunt and your connection to his home and apologizing for any inconvenience caused? It may set him at ease a bit, and he'd have no obligation to reply. It would also be less intrusive than a phone call.
  • Options
    I suppose I could do that.

I think it is best that we just totally leave him alone, though. He didn't believe the whole tale when those guys were there at his door, and that's partly understandable, as far out in left field as we were coming from. He sounds the suspicious sort and I don't want any trouble for him OR any to come back on me and my two Florida accomplices.

This probably shouldn't have gone down live on an Internet forum, but heck, it was fun that way.

I want this homeowner's privacy respected and I am glad my accomplices edited him out of the photos and so on. I don't like that his mortgage situation is made public here, but I suppose that is a matter of public or semi-public record, anyway? He was rather open about it with them. Having had a mortgage foreclosed on in 1995, I can empathize and sympathize.

We were only innocently looking for some stone coins, not trying to cause the guy any problems. I am hoping the whole thing blows over and is forgotten (except for the fun parts), so I don't need to write him an apology. But I will do so if necessary.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just read this for the first time, "front to back". What a cool thread.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    He wasn't so mad that you would have to write an apology. When he wanted us to leave, we left. He was aggravated that we were taking pictures, although in actuality Google beat us to it.

As far as his mortgage status, there are "foreclosure bus tours" offered by certain real estate agents here in Florida. Last we did not post "his" name or image although according to the public records only a "her" owns the place. In sum, we didn't bug him more than a door to door saleman would have, and we were actually offering him money. When is the last time someone came to your door offering you money for your lawn decorations? Doing it live was ALL the fun LordM, so don't feel bad.

Anybody have any luck on finding a place to buy Yap stones? I am still looking. image

• Options

<< <i>
    Anybody have any luck on finding a place to buy Yap stones? I am still looking. image >>

Yep found one, but its a bit out of my price range. Here you go though!
  • Options
    Yikes! image

I know Littleton has a serious markup, but even so, I had no idea Yap money was that scarce. After all, my grandmother had some as landscaping ornaments.

(BTW, that was an "https" link.)

• Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭✭
    wait for the Chinese counterfeits ...
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yikes! image

I know Littleton has a serious markup, but even so, I had no idea Yap money was that scarce. After all, my grandmother had some as landscaping ornaments.

(BTW, that was an "https" link.) >>

Wouldn't it be a beeatch if the story of how it came to the US and ended up in Littleton's hands had it going through someone's front yard in Stuart, FL.
  • Options

• Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    If you dont want the plaque and stand that will save you at least $25.00.
  • Options
    Very very cool thread image
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    Just a thought and you may have already had the same one.

It wont help you but from what it sounds like you've already given up hope finding them and getting them for memories sake.

It could help the guy who's facing foreclosure though. Send him a copy of this thread in the mail along with a copy of the littleton page.

He might search a little harder if he realizes their worth. Not saying littleton would pay him 9k for one but I'm sure he could probably get a couple grand at the least.

Might get him out of the tight spot he's gotten into on the foreclosure if he was to find them.

Just a my thoughts for what its worth.
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    Just re-reading this thread.....TTT for those who missed the fun!image
  • Options
    It was quite fun reading a few weeks ago when I came across it. Slow night at the lab and doing odd searching in the forum.
    "One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making new discoveries" -A.A. Milne
  • Options
    RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Good story!

I bet that guy is searching his yard now. >>

or starting on the next six pak.... >>

I've been reading this thread in its entirety just today and this made me LOL at the office, good one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file