Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OPERATION "STONE HOLEY"! (I recruited two Florida forum members for this LIVE treasure qu

Comments

• Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not only that, but it also has "four-figure-UPS-shipping-fee" written all over it! image >>

I think a trucking company would be less than UPS.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess Yap Stone Money was just left in the front yard overnight with no worry of being stolen imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    When you get it, send it directly to PCGS to get it slabbed. Maybe PCGS will pickup some of the shipping cost, since this will create some publicity for them.

Headline: Largest Coin Ever being slabbed by PCGS !image
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Try IE intead of Firefox. >>

That did the trick. Thanks!

I can see the pics! But it sure looks different. Very different. Apparently those big Norfolk Island pines are gone. Just some little palmettos there now. And it looks to have been totally relandscaped. Not necessarily a good sign for our quest.

Oh, well. Our intrepid searchers will have some silver comin' to 'em, anyway.

Maybe they moved the Yap stones to the back. Yeah... that's the ticket.

Or maybe they're still there. They were flush with the ground, y'know. Like stepping stones in the grass. They wouldn't necessarily be visible in that panorama on the Zillow page.

The longshot is looking longer.

But let's not give up yet. Maybe TC71 and/or ONETHREE will be posting some pix of them standing on a Yap coin soon, who knows?

After 35 years, it's anybody's guess.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Try IE intead of Firefox. >>

That did the trick. Thanks!

I can see the pics! But it sure looks different. Very different. Apparently those big Norfolk Island pines are gone. Just some little palmettos there now. And it looks to have been totally relandscaped. Not necessarily a good sign for our quest.

Oh, well. Our intrepid searchers will have some silver comin' to 'em, anyway.

Maybe they moved the Yap stones to the back. Yeah... that's the ticket.

Or maybe they're still there. They were flush with the ground, y'know. Like stepping stones in the grass. They wouldn't necessarily be visible in that panorama on the Zillow page.

The longshot is looking longer.

But let's not give up yet. Maybe TC71 and/or ONETHREE will be posting some pix of them standing on a Yap coin soon, who knows?

After 35 years, it's anybody's guess. >>

At least the house is still there.

The house that I used to lived in when I was a kid is just a vacant lot now.

If this does not work out, maybe you can expand this into a national search for the largest stone coin in the country.image
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    One of my other grandmother's houses is a parking lot under a chain restaurant in Atlanta, swallowed by sprawl.

But when I started coin collecting after finding a 1936 dime in the silver drawer just before Thanksgiving dinner of 1976, there were nice woods and a stream behind it. All gone now. image

But I still have that 1936 dime. My first collector coin. Wouldn't take a thousand bucks for that humble, VG-ish 1936 Mercury.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    This is exciting!
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options

<< <i>This is exciting! >>

You know, someone should have thought of a live cam. Do we know if they are taking a camera, at least?
  • Options
    Hey, the fact that my 35-year-old memory of the street address was correct and we're able to see satellite pictures and streetview panoramas of a random house in Florida that none of thought about before this morning is pretty neat by my book. Add in our scouts' live report when that comes, and we've had ourselves a fine hunt, whether or not they score the great Stone Holeys!

• Options
    I'll give you this, you sure can come up with some interesting threads!image I'm settling in for a comfy afternoon in front of the monitor.image
  • Options
    Now you mention this . I used to live in Stuart until we moved to Charlotte 2 years ago.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if the owners have YAPpy dogs? What if the team opens their YAP prematurely and gets the owners to try the motel buyers?

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    %#@$ Da*n it all to H*ll, MAN!

Can't you see what you've started here?

This will be the next HOT area of Numismatics. First the mildly curious show up - scrounging yard sales & Flea Markets. Then the idle rich start reading 14th page filler articles in the WSJ. Soon there is a boom going on in YAP Money. PCGS and all the rest will race to see who can come up with the first authentication technique. Free Hint: Carbon 14 dating & Laser etching

Next thing you know, the Baltimore Show will be taken over by those big 68 wheel Steel Trucks like they got in Detroit ( Yap Stones being very heavy ). People could end up getting hurt! Steel Toed Shoes will become required wearing for numismatists. Maybe even suits of armor like in a mediaeval jousting tournament.

Oh man, I'm getting a major headache here. Hey, that reminds me of something - whatever happened to Major Duty?Never mind. I'm getting a crystal ball moment here - I see Chinese Replica Yap Stones flooding the market. I see big roundish polished hunks of Granite and beautiful Variegated Marble - all with holes in the center. Hey man, I could make a Crab Eatin Table out of one of those. The hole in the middle bein perfect for the trash can to catch all the shells. For you Southerners that would likely be a Shrimp Eatin Table.

Gotta go. Gotta hook up with a Chinese Stone Company to beat the competition to the next hot Kitchen Makeover Fad.

Thanks for your help Lord M. image
  • Options

<< <i> I see Chinese Replica Yap Stones flooding the market. >>

NOOOO!!! Hurry, edit that post! Ssssh! Fer cryin' out loud, man, don't give 'em the idea!

I can see it now... UNCONDITIONALLY GUARANTEED AUTHENTIC! SHIPPING ONLY $375.00!

• Options
    i'm sorry for my ignorance but what is a yap money stone.
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    ResRes Posts: 1,086
    With google, no one needs to be ignorant

fficial&client=firefox-a">Money Stone
  • Options
    ONETHREEONETHREE Posts: 1,126
    Well....
    "It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's simply that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody." - Brendan Behan

Proud Participant in Operation "Stone Holey" August 7, 2008
  • Options
    We are back...
    "It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's simply that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody." - Brendan Behan

• Options
    AND?!
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I smell pics of the Yap coins coming .... image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    So I met Torino Cobra ("Gary") at the Publix shopping center at Military Trail and PGA. I was told to expect a red ford pickup. When I saw one with the Florida Gator front license plate I knew he had arrived. We quickly said our hellos never having met prior to today. I explained to Gary that I had a chain of title on the house all the way back until 1988 with copies of the deeds and the plat in hand. The community itself was platted in 1923. There is more than one house on the lake and I was trying to chase it all the way back to 1980 back to when Ms. Shennick still owned it. Unfortunately for me, Martin County house records don't go back that far online. The rest are on microfiche at the courthouse. So I knew a single woman had owned the place since 2006 and paid $306,000.00 for it. (This fact will be important later.)

Gary informed me that he had his camera, a shovel, and a google map. I then became the expedition's navigator. After receiving the map from Gary I wanted to talk strategy. We did not want to alarm the homeowner and also we did not want the homeowner to think they had the holy grail in their back yard in case we did find the stones.

Continued next post....

• Options
    So I suggested we coordinate a unified story that was somewhat plausible. After all who the heck is going to believe two guys showing up in the middle of the day looking for rocks that were there 35 years ago? I didn't think I would. Gary had promised Lord M that at the very least he would take pictures of the house and the lake behind as is stood now. So Gary stated he would take the pictues before we knocked on the door. I suggested we describe what we were looking for as millstones, cause the moment we start flapping about yap money we were gonna go downhill. Gary agreed. Gary also added the detail that Lord M's grandmother had only recently passed away and that she had mentioned them just before passing away. We also wanted to empasize to the homeowner that the person looking used to live in this house and the only value of thes stones were sentimental value. In this way we might make the homeowner comfortable while avoiding the holy grail dilemma.

Continued next post....

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭
    Is it cool to post the photos here, or just PM them to Lord M? I had to work some photoshop love on one of them to edit out the person that met us at the front door........

TC71
  • Options
    ResRes Posts: 1,086
    Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but I wouldn't admit to lying to these people in order to get the stones from them. Granted, you haven't gotten that far in the story yet, and it might not have played out that way, but still. Probably best to keep that part to yourself.
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭
    How many times do I need to refresh before the story continues???
  • Options
    Oh, this is great.

Millstones. You're a born negotiator, I can tell. image

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    This is the best thread ever in the US Coin Forum. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options

<< <i> Is it cool to post the photos here, or just PM them to Lord M? I had to work some photoshop love on one of them to edit out the person that met us at the front door........ >>

Oh, either way is good. I am eagerly anticipating either way.

Are y'all each gonna get a SILVER dollar, or a GOLD dollar?

Depends on whether or not I get my stone holeys! image

• Options

<< <i>How many times do I need to refresh before the story continues??? >>

I'm dying a little on the inside with each passing second!!
  • Options
    So..... image
  • Options
    So we had about a thirty minute ride (our adventure took about two hours in all) on the Florida Turnpike until we reached the appropriate exit into Stuart Florida. When you get off the turnpike all the buildings are brand spanking new. This is a sign of the recent building boom followed by bust in the state of Florida. Property values skyrocketed in early 2004 to the middle part of 2006. Then the market crashed. Our destination was well east of here. We were looking for old Florida. Where the charming seaside houses reside and you small one -story houses ruled the day. I looked forward to it. Both Gary and I had palpable excitement at this point. Was it possible that the stones were still there? Had we brought suffucient cash to haggle with the homeowner?

Continued next post...

• Options

<< <i>So..... image >>

The SUSPENSE must be killin' y'all. imageimage

When ONETHREE gets done with the story, I will post the pics.

TC71
  • Options
    I have a thunderstorm here and have had three mini-power-outages in the last ten minutes, so with my luck, the screen will go black just as the moment of truth is posted!

• Options
    I can see ONETHREE is a master of timing and delivery. I couldn't have milked out the suspense any better myself! image

• Options
    Anxiously awaiting Chapter 4.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope the mission was a success! Man, this is better then the Discovery channel!

image thread.
  • Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    Keep the saga going. I am getting some popcorn.
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    It's gonna take longer than the two hours you spent to tell the story at this rate. image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    Here. I'll share mine.

imageimage

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    image You guys are whacked! image
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    And no were not going to lie in any material fashion to the homeowner... Anyway I digress. Eventually, we pull into the right subdivision. In fact google had not done us wrong. We made no wrong turns and found the sight easy. Gary pulled into the driveway on the side of the house. There were two cars already in the driveway. A Cadillac and a small import car. I suggested to Gary that we park on the street so as not to intrude on these people's property any more than we already were. So Gary obliged and pulled onto the street. I could see that the car port Lord M had described was no longer there. A small pool now snuggled up to the side of the house. Gary and I rounded the front of the house. I immediately started scanning the property for any sign of the stones. Gary pulled out his digital camera and began snapping photogrpahs of the front of the house. The house had many yard features including a trellace. I examined this area closely as this might be the place I would put a holey stone. Then we set off for the front door with Gary in the lead. Gary and I reached the front door. Just as Gary rang the doorbell the door opened immediately with a man standing there. He had been waiting for us.

I know I am torturing you, I can't help myself.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the Holeys Blackhawk! image

I'll do a thread about my holey type set soon.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I can see the pm meter lighting up and I am sorry but I cannot answer until I get the story out.

• Options

<< <i>I know I am torturing you, I can't help myself. >>

Payback's a beee-otch! image
  • Options
    CheddyCheddy Posts: 411 ✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I know I am torturing you, I can't help myself. >>

Payback's a beee-otch! image >>

True dat!
  • Options

imageimage
    imageimage

• Options

<< <i>I can see the pm meter lighting up and I am sorry but I cannot answer until I get the story out. >>

You must be lucky, I aint getting no PMs. and I am the one with the photos. imageimageimage

Your story telling must be really good. I can see you have a great eye for detail!

TC71
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file