Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OPERATION "STONE HOLEY"! (I recruited two Florida forum members for this LIVE treasure qu

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

They ain't PM-ed me nuttin'. I said I would wait in suspense with everybody else!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    I think my bosses are going to start wondering why I'm not in a meeting!! Oh well, this is much more exciting.

Millertime
  • Options
    ONETHREEONETHREE Posts: 1,126
    The man who greeted us was very suspicious to say the least. You could see it in his eyes. He bordered on the verge of anger. My trusty companion is as honest as the day is long. He was deseed in his T-shirt and khaki shorts with camera slung over his shoulder and I in my french cuff shirt and tie. Although the man looked resentful, when he spoke his tone was even and polite. He asked if he could help us. Gary started right in with the rehearsed story, I kept my eye on the man. I was gauging his reactions and could see that he was having none of this story. Unfortunately for us, he didn't even know what a millstone was. Gary powered on through the story. He had printed a copy of this thread with a picture of the large yapstone. The man said he had seen one of these....

Abruptly the man asked. Are you here to foreclose upon my house? I know we are behind in the payments. I could see our attire was not helping. Me in my lawyer get up and Gary with his camera. We tried to assuage the man that were not here to foreclose on his house but he did not believe us. Apparently their purchase at the height of the market had come back to haunt them.
    "It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's simply that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody." - Brendan Behan

Proud Participant in Operation "Stone Holey" August 7, 2008
  • Options
    ResRes Posts: 1,086
    Onethree - you should change your screen name to Torquemada
  • Options
    Whether I end up giving away two dollars in silver or two dollars in gold, this thread has been worth every single PENNY. image

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please hurry with the story, children with toothaches are waiting in the chair, assistants getting angry.
    But this is so much more interesting
  • Options
    Agreed, LM. If you could do this every day, I'd pay.image
  • Options

<< <i>Agreed, LM. If you could do this every day, I'd pay.image >>

Just warn us LordM so I can take a vacation day!!
  • Options
    engravedengraved Posts: 185 ✭✭
    I am getting no work done with having to constantly refresh this thread. Great stuff!
    Always interested in nice love tokens and engraved coins.
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many of us are hitting refresh waiting for the next chapter??????????
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    No, a thread like this is not an everyday affair. But since it has been what, four months since I posted a "Digs O' The Day", I needed the excitement. Little did I realize I would end up with some accomplices who had a masterful sense of showmanship!

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

• Options
    I've had to pee for half an hour and I don't dare leave the computer. Wait a sec, I think I have a pop bottle around here somewhere...
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder how many of us are hitting refresh waiting for the next chapter?????????? >>

Count me in.
  • Options

<< <i>I've had to pee for half an hour and I don't dare leave the computer. Wait a sec, I think I have a pop bottle around here somewhere... >>

imageimage
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I've had to pee for half an hour and I don't dare leave the computer. Wait a sec, I think I have a pop bottle around here somewhere... >>

imageimage >>

TMI image
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭

You think the suspense is killin' you guys? I am dying to post the pics...........But this story by ONETHREE is great, and Its 100% accurate.

TC71
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

I hope it ain't a Mountain Dew pop bottle! image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    Well, wheres the rest of the story, Paul Harvey !
  • Options

<< <i>

I hope it ain't a Mountain Dew pop bottle! image >>

We used to call Mountain Dew (and I don't know why): carbonated panther piss

Millertime
  • Options
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage

• Options
    We tried to calm the man down. It was apparent he had seen us snapping pictures just prior to reaching the front of the house. He still remained polite. He was Southern, and we had given him no cause to go beyond his feigned politeness. We assured him we were there for the stones. He did not believe us. Being a crafty Southerner, he saw the way to get rid of these two trifling men was to play along with their false story. So play along he did . He began to question us about the stones.

Are the valuable he asked? I said there value was mostly sentimental, but we were willing to pay for them just the same. He pointed to the pavers along the front edge and asked if they were stones like those? I said no. He also stated that the prior owner was antique dealer and if there were any stones of value she would have taken them with her. He also stated that although the grass was dead they had recently redone the entirety of the yard with sod. If there were any stones in the grass they weren't there now.

Alas we did not recover the stones.

I took this for a signal to leave and thanked the man. He was growing hostile now. Gary had promised Lord M to take more pictures of the house and as he rounded the side of the house. Gary did not see that the man was following him, determined to see us of his property. Gary was suprised to see the image of the man in the snap shot he just took. Now the man told Gary, "I told you what you wanted please go. Do not take any pictures of the house." Gary, being as honest as the day is long began to reiterate that were not there to foreclose on his house. I was making for the property line, knowing once we reached it we were in the clear. I finally called for Gary to leave as he was caught up in his expanation, offended that the man did not believe him about the stones. Gary withdrew quickly and we made for a side street behind the house. I took more pictures of the lake and the back of the house.

I have a chain of tile of the former owners. Perhaps we can track them down to find the stones fate. Okay that is the end. I have to get back to work. Oh Torino you can post the photos including the one where you photoshopped out the owner.
    "It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's simply that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody." - Brendan Behan

• Options
    No need to go tracking any further.

You guys went above and beyond, risking life and limb.

Let's hear what the president has to say on the matter.

Just what I thought he'd say. image

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for a very entertaining day at the forums! image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    Still can't wait to see some pics image
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for a very entertaining day at the forums! image >>

Yes, I agree! Great job, guys. Glad to see you made it back safely!image
  • Options
    Picture of the front of the house from the road:

Picture of the side of the house where the car port used to be. (I photoshopped the homeowner out) :

These are photos that Tim took of the back of the house as we were leaving:

TC71
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Good story!

I bet that guy is searching his yard now.
    Ed
  • Options
    So it often goes, in real life treasure hunting.

It ain't the treasure that counts, as much as the quest. image

(Unless of course this whole account has been fictional and they really got the stone money, and are waiting to go "surprise"! When the pics come up. I wouldn't put it past these crafty stone sleuths.) image

Either way, though, I got my two dollars' worth. Whether they be silver dollars or gold dollars.

• Options
    Nice gator blocker in the back image
  • Options
    So LordM does the house look familiar? image

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if someone rolled the stones into the water?
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549

<< <i>Good story!

I bet that guy is searching his yard now. >>

or starting on the next six pak....
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    You know that owner is so confused.

Does he did his yard up before the bank forecloses on the house???
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    You should have told the owner they were buried about 3' deep and very, very valuable but you don't remember where they were buried.
  • Options

<< <i>So it often goes, in real life treasure hunting.

It ain't the treasure that counts, as much as the quest. image

(Unless of course this whole account has been fictional and they really got the stone money, and are waiting to go "surprise"! When the pics come up. I wouldn't put it past these crafty stone sleuths.) image

Either way, though, I got my two dollars' worth. Whether they be silver dollars or gold dollars. >>

Sorry, No surprise. We searched where you told us to and found nothing. With the yard being re-sodded they might have been removed then.

TC
  • Options
    Wow, I see the pics now.

Good ol' Froggy Bottom. How it has changed in 35 years. I wouldn't have recognized it, most likely.

Well done, sleuths.

I was gonna pay y'all in silver holeys if you struck out, but you don't want no stinkin' holey coins, right? (I do have some nice holeys, though).

I suppose you would prefer unholed Morgan dollars?

I don't think I have any nice UNCs handy, but I'll bet I could do some decent XF-AUs, would that be fair?

Common dates of your choice, if I have 'em.

• Options
    I'll bet the previous antique-dealer owner got 'em.

'Tis of no matter. It was all about the quest. And these guys went way beyond what I expected.

• Options
    I don't really need a reward. Give thwem both to Torino he drove. My reward was going and writing about it. How much fun was it to have you guys stuck to the monitor?

Also I am still going to complete the title search back to the early eighties to make sure that is froggy bottom. I joked with Gary on the way home that the guy next door was probably using the yap coins as an ashtray watching Gary explain for the third time we were not there to foreclose!

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>I was gonna pay y'all in silver holeys if you struck out, but you don't want no stinkin' holey coins, right? (I do have some nice holeys, though).

I suppose you would prefer unholed Morgan dollars?

I don't think I have any nice UNCs handy, but I'll bet I could do some decent XF-AUs, would that be fair? >>

I don't want to speak for them, but in a few years i think looking back on a holey would have a lot more sentimental value then a widget morgan in XF. After all, this whole adventure was about the sentimental value, right?

Great job you two!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    It was fun. That was the idea.

And I got two forum members together for an adventure, which is cool.

TC71, you have two Morgans comin' to you. Don't try to refuse. Gas money ain't cheap, y'know.

• Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Great story! Thanks for sharing! Lord M, maybe your calling is has been found. Your ability to have others do your bidding is impressive! image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options

<< <i>I don't really need a reward. Give thwem both to Torino he drove. My reward was going and writing about it. How much fun was it to have you guys stuck to the monitor?

Also I am still going to complete the title search back to the early eighties to make sure that is froggy bottom. I joked with Gary on the way home that the guy next door was probably using them as an ashtray watching Gary explain for the third time we were not there to foreclose! >>

Like Tim said. The journey was worth it and was cool. I wish you could have been there. We were there only about ten minutes, but those TEN minutes are like the credit card saying......."PRICELESS!"

• Options
    Well worth an afternoon in front of the monitor. Thanks, guys!image
  • Options

<< <i> Great story! Thanks for sharing! Lord M, maybe your calling is has been found. Your ability to have others do your bidding is impressive! >>

Ain't it great how I made two strangers get together, hundreds of miles from me, and drive all over kingdom come, looking for some semi-imaginary DARKSIDE coins? Not just Darkside coins, but Fred Flintstone coins? Priceless! image

TC71, I will let your partner off the hook but you drove, so you get two Morgan dollars, PERIOD. No refusals. You will take them, even if I have to get another member to PM your address to me!

Unless you want to give them away here. I will send them wherever you like, but I WILL send them.

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread. I'm glad that I came in at the end of the thread, else my productivity (low as it is) would have plummeted image
  • Options
    One part of the story I forgot... (I know how is that possible.) When the guy asked us about foreclosure, he asked us for the papers we had in our hands. I quickly had to hide the string of deeds and the plat of the community under the google map before I handed him the documents. Luckily for me he didn't examine the entire pile or he would have gone bannanas! image

• Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    I nominate this for "Post of the day".

Ray
  • Options

<< <i>One part of the story I forgot... (I know how is that possible.) When the guy asked us about foreclosure, he asked us for the papers we had in our hands. I quickly had to hide the string of deeds and the plat of the community under the google map before I handed him the documents. Luckily for me he didn't examine the entire pile or he would have gone bannanas! image >>

Dont forget about the copy of the thread that I printed out that fell outta my back pocket. That guy thought for sure that we were there to foreclose on his butt!

TC71
  • Options

<< <i>I nominate this for "Post of the day".

Ray >>

Post of the Month? Post of the Year?

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>One part of the story I forgot... (I know how is that possible.) When the guy asked us about foreclosure, he asked us for the papers we had in our hands. I quickly had to hide the string of deeds and the plat of the community under the google map before I handed him the documents. Luckily for me he didn't examine the entire pile or he would have gone bannanas! image >>

Dont forget that you handed him your business card. When he figures out the line of work that you are in, he might figure that he is finished!

Did you let him keep the business card that you handed to him?

TC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file