Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Fantasy Football League (Season Over)

Comments

• Options
    The NFL season starts today. Be sure to check your line-up, call your bookie, get a babysitter for the kids, put the road block in the driveway and all that good stuff.

It's On!
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I actually won last year in the 2nd PSA league and not a single person contacted me about sending me a single card. Not a big deal, but I had lots ready to give to the people that finished behind me because I thought the top 3 get prizes. I will join this year's league as well, I think with Tony Romo as my quarterback I can possibly do pretty good again. I got so lucky last year, I've never even finished in the top 5 of any fantasy league - I had Romo, Peterson, and Moss. Anyways, it was fun and I will gladly join. Thanks!

- Joe >>

Hopefully this doesn't happen this year. We should come up with a system that states exactly which place you finish in will receive cards from a corresponding rank. For example if you are are in first place you will receive cards from 16th,15th,14th, and 13th place. Second place will receive cards from 12th, 11th, and 10th place, and so on. This will illuminate any confusion. >>

I will note on this because I took 3rd in the same league. I sent one or two messages about such and let it go. I was not the commish or anything so that was about the most I could do, and 3rd only paid 2 cards anyway. (I got hit week 11(?) like most when that blizzard went through the US...otherwise, that title would have been mine I think).

Ok, so as Commish, I will move that you will get your cards by corresponding rank as suggested above. (League can vote to change or adjust, more meaning I will respect a majority league vote on any issue).

So that means:

16th,15th,14th, 13th, 12th and 11th place, owes 1st place (12 cards).

10th, 9th and 8th place, owes 2nd place (6 cards).

7th and 6th place, owes 3rd place (4 cards)

5th place, owes 4th place (2 cards)

Should a loser be a welch, they will NOTED as a welch in my sig. line, forever be known on these boards as a Welch, plus barred from future leagues. Other then that, if you do not get what you think you should have gotten, I would suggest, letting it go like I did last year.

Any final questions concerns should be addressed....otherwise...

Get ready for your first loss Jim!

Clear Skies,
    Mark

Edit to add: On majority league vote, as we have an even number of teams, if a vote is tied, then I guess as Commish, whatever I voted, will be considered majority vote.

Should I do an unfair action by Comish powers (which won't happen) I believe more in league vote then Comish power, I agree to put in my sig. box for 6 months whatever majority votes decide (assuming it is not racist or the like).
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Mark,
    Sounds like a great plan.

Thanks,
    Greg
  • Options

<< <i>I had to work and was delivering mail while trying to stay online. Didn't work so autopick did all my drafting.

Nobody needs my address to send cards to.

QB Derek Anderson
    WR Donald Driver
    WR Dwayne Bowe
    WR Jordy Nelson
    RB LaDainian Tomlinson
    RB Darren McFadden
    TE Dustin Keller

K Mason Crosby
    DEF Green Bay

BN Ricky Williams
    J.T. O'Sullivan
    James Hardy
    Brandon Manumaleuna
    Aaron Stecker
    Philadelphia

Ricky is a contingency in case McFadden isn't what I hope he is.
    Manumaleuna is a contingency in case Gates stays hurt.
    The Packers are homer picks.

Favre used to love the TE in the end zone, I'm hoping Keller is the guy. Favre lost some confidence in Bubba last year or 2.

Overall not quite what I was hoping for, but looking forward to the season. Thanks again to Mark for setting this up. In week 1 Mark gets his first win! >>

Jim I think you actually have a pretty good team. Williams appears to have been a bargain where you got him. Yahoo even has you at like a 95 pt. projection, which is about average in a 10 man league. But they also have you beating me by two projected points, so they don't know everything....image
  • Options
    I just hope my lack of a premier reciever does not hurt me. I do have Gates though. If Brandon Jones does what I am thinking this year he could become a premier reciever in Tennesee. He has several things that seem to be going for him.
  • Options
    Mark,
    You might want to put your payoff post in the league messages so that it doesn't get buried in the fourms come mid December or whenever we have our playoffs.
    I think everybody stops paying attention to a league when the playoffs start and they are not in them. I don't think anyone got cards last year, since the 1st, 2nd (me) and 3rd place people didn't report anything. I still had a great time playing though.

And for those of you who don't think your team is that great -- hang in there, there will be tons o' injuries coming soon and surprise busts and booms. Last year, we had the Derek Andrerson explosion, the year before that it was the Saints. So far, we are all undefeated!
    Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    I just went to Vegas and be the farm on Pauls team.
  • Options

<< <i>Mark,
    You might want to put your payoff post in the league messages so that it doesn't get buried in the fourms come mid December or whenever we have our playoffs.
    I think everybody stops paying attention to a league when the playoffs start and they are not in them. I don't think anyone got cards last year, since the 1st, 2nd (me) and 3rd place people didn't report anything. I still had a great time playing though.

And for those of you who don't think your team is that great -- hang in there, there will be tons o' injuries coming soon and surprise busts and booms. Last year, we had the Derek Andrerson explosion, the year before that it was the Saints. So far, we are all undefeated!
    Good luck everyone! >>

Noted on the Yahoo league.

(Let's go Chiefs!......we WILL have a .500 plus record this year!)
  • Options

That is one reason I am keeping Shaun Alexander as much as I really don't care for him around. I know its a matter of time before he gets a call from someone and then Shaun may go out with something to prove.
  • Options

<< <i>And for those of you who don't think your team is that great -- hang in there, there will be tons o' injuries coming soon and surprise busts and booms. Last year, we had the Derek Andrerson explosion, the year before that it was the Saints. So far, we are all undefeated!

That is one reason I am keeping Shaun Alexander as much as I really don't care for him around. I know its a matter of time before he gets a call from someone and then Shaun may go out with something to prove. >>

If you're keeping Alexander around you should probably pick up Cedric Benson - He's got to be able to land somewhere????
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>And for those of you who don't think your team is that great -- hang in there, there will be tons o' injuries coming soon and surprise busts and booms. Last year, we had the Derek Andrerson explosion, the year before that it was the Saints. So far, we are all undefeated!

That is one reason I am keeping Shaun Alexander as much as I really don't care for him around. I know its a matter of time before he gets a call from someone and then Shaun may go out with something to prove. >>

If you're keeping Alexander around you should probably pick up Cedric Benson - He's got to be able to land somewhere???? >>

And don't forget Tatum Bell, who the Lions released the other....he did what?......never mind. Benson is cool.
  • Options
    well both of them are already on teams in the league. With 16 teams you just about are going to end up with at least one player like that.
  • Options
    I don't want to play any more. My first round auto-draft pick was Matt Haselsomethingorother
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't want to play any more. My first round auto-draft pick was Matt Haselsomethingorother >>

I have no idea who to start. My auto-draft picked guys I don't know much about. I'll probably get it figured out when I'm 0-6 and sitting in last place image
  • Options
    My fantasy TE had a great day!

8 catches 84 yards 1 TD 22 fantasy points image

Unfortunately I started my other TE.

0 catches 0 yards 0 TD 0 points.

• Options
    Looks like I may have high score of the week...although not counting Jim and his 4 players out quite yet.

The match up to watch tonight in our league...

Get out of my Trees 103
    lsutigers 98

LSU still has his kicker, while Get out of my Trees has turned in his score card (figuratively). Average kicker gets about 5-6 pts a game, will we have our first tie? Will LSU kick his way to victory....or will GOOMT, keep his trees free? Both are decent scored games and either loss will be a steal.

Monday Night Football...glad to see it back.

Mark
  • Options
    My only consolation yesterday was my fantasy team eliminated Tom Brady.
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    I have Brady in this league. Now I have to start Jeff Garcia image. I'm not really sure what to do now. I think I am pretty much screwed. Any suggestions?
  • Options

<< <i>I have Brady in this league. Now I have to start Jeff Garcia image. I'm not really sure what to do now. I think I am pretty much screwed. Any suggestions? >>

When you are allowed to drop Brady, should take a few days, I would scramble for another back up. With the slim pickings available on the wire, I would also look around the league for someone with a good backup to possibly trade.

For example, I see Brady's back up is already taken....now he might be a good low trade candidate, as that person has 3 QB's. (Or perhaps Chris Simms when he shows up). Only reason I see this as viable, is because last year, that line gave Brady time to find Moss, Welker or whoever. Give any QB enough time and they should do alright.

Anyway, I would not stress too much. With a 16 team league, the talent is pretty spread around. Also, one must consider all the Pats took a big hit fantasy wise....so yours was not the only top pick in hindsight wasted.

Mark

• Options

<< <i>Looks like I may have high score of the week...although not counting Jim and his 4 players out quite yet.

The match up to watch tonight in our league...

Get out of my Trees 103
    lsutigers 98

LSU still has his kicker, while Get out of my Trees has turned in his score card (figuratively). Average kicker gets about 5-6 pts a game, will we have our first tie? Will LSU kick his way to victory....or will GOOMT, keep his trees free? Both are decent scored games and either loss will be a steal.

Monday Night Football...glad to see it back.

Mark >>

Yeah, I have to sweat this one out now! If it weren't for that fumble return for a TD, I would have this one in the bag already! I have a bad feeling that I'm gonna lose this one.
  • Options

<< <i>I have Brady in this league. Now I have to start Jeff Garcia image. I'm not really sure what to do now. I think I am pretty much screwed. Any suggestions? >>

I dropped JT O'Sullivan today so I could add Chris Simms. I figured JT would be ok in a few more weeks with Martz' system. Not sure if he's better than Garcia but at least he's starting (for now)

I lost Steven Jackson for a lot of last year, I feel your pain. image
  • Options
    Mark - I would have a chance if I had started my other TE and DEF/ST. You're in the clear unless McFadden is this year's Adrian Peterson in week 1.

Your guys almost all overperformed. Had to be fun for you to watch yesterday!
  • Options

I just dropped Kyle Orton so he is there for you... Good luck finding a replacement image
  • Options

You still got the Win.. This week anyway. Thanks alot the Jones-Drew only getting me 3 points.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Jimq,

Don't feel bad, I only have 44 points right now (the lowest score so far). However, I do still have a chance to win, my opponent has 68, and I've got 3 that will play in the Raiders/Bronco's game. Fargas, Curry and Denver. Perhaps a comeback for the ages!!

Mike

Edited to add: Oh well, doesn't appear to be going my way, just checked the box score and my opponent has one player playing for Minn, Sidney Rice who has caught 3 passes for 31 yards AND a touchdown, so I'll probably be down at least 40 by the time of the late game. Oh well, there's always next week image
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    I don't feel bad. I have Driver, he had a 65+ yard td called back tonite. GB defense played good, ST had a TD return.

I'm having fun and not worried about winning/losing. It makes games like Raiders/Broncos fun instead of boring for me.

• Options
    That's the beauty of the league -it makes all the games somewhat interesting. We are hanging on the balance to see how a kicker does in the last game of the week. AQnd for those of us with injuries - Brady, Burleson, Young, ..and even lesser injuries like marion barber, joe addai, and the rest, just remember that there are plenty more injuries to come, and plenty of nobodies waiting to become fantasy studs. don't give up hope because one guy is down or sucked on sunday!
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    navarro-you've got an uphill battle before ya buddy image

Hope my guys hang on,
    Jerry
  • Options
    Dang it. lsutigers nips me at the end. I never seem to be able to get MNF to go my way when it comes to fantasy football.
  • Options
    Ya I picked up Orton. No sure who I will start next week. I havn't cut Brady yet. I will hold onto him for another week on my bench and pray for a miracle. Knowing my luck if I cut him now they will anounce that he will only be out for 4-5 weeks and someone else will pick him up and use him to beat me.
  • Options
    You can cut Brady. He was placed on injured reserve which officially ends his year.
  • Options

<< <i>Ya I picked up Orton. No sure who I will start next week. I havn't cut Brady yet. I will hold onto him for another week on my bench and pray for a miracle. Knowing my luck if I cut him now they will anounce that he will only be out for 4-5 weeks and someone else will pick him up and use him to beat me. >>

Hes on IR he is done.
  • Options

<< <i>Mark - I would have a chance if I had started my other TE and DEF/ST. You're in the clear unless McFadden is this year's Adrian Peterson in week 1.

Your guys almost all overperformed. Had to be fun for you to watch yesterday! >>

I did pretty good this week, 6 of 7 fantasy football teams won, however only 1 of the 2 more desirable leagues. My big pay league (for me at least, $100 a week) I drafted Tom Brady.

I could have actually done a lot better in this league. (But with high score first week, I am not complaining....for at least one week, I am in first place). I ran Detroit against Atlanta, and Atlanta scored a billion points after pretty much being the unanimous pick for bottom of the NFL. My backup RB is Felix Jones, well out performed LenDale White. And Forte could have gotten that 1 yd. touchdown.

Overall, looks I did pretty good on draft, my rookies panning out so far, and I did not pick Brady or Moss (both of which I would have jumped at....my first pick late in the round was Reggie Wayne, a 2nd rounder in 10 man leagues). Brees gained a spot in top QBs (with his performance and the Brady issue) and teaming him up with Shockey seems to have some good upside.

So with Forte a solid starter right now on my team, do I pair him with LenDale or Felix. Granted Lendale is only going to get 3 yds per a carry, but the Titans have proven so far they will continue to feed him the ball and he is pretty good at getting that 1 or 2 yards when it is needed. Next week the Cowboys play the Eagles, in what may be the best game of the week. McNabb is back....not sure if Felix will get the touches he needs for FF. The experts will surely say Felix, but I don't really like the ideal of running on two rookie RBs, and if you can't tell, I like Lendale more then I perhaps should.

In other news around the league...

Ryan Longwell used his foot to bring LSU his victory last night, while AP carried the Fighting Ditka's over Wolfbear, although perhaps his team ball should go to Fast Willie Parker, who apparently learned what an end zone was in the off season. With that performance I will quit calling him Fumbling Willie Parker....for a week or two.

Der Meister breezed by Gator with a 35 pts. from Michael Turner, who had a league leading 220 yds and 2 td's for Atlanta, who even more amazingly didn't need the pts. to beat Detroit. (It will take me a week or two to understand that).

• Options
    Has nothing to do with this league, but in one of my other leagues, my team scored the second most points in the league out of 12 teams. I only won by 3 points.
  • Options
    I am in a Salary cap league too. i had a quick question. Would you rather have Brandon Marshall and Seattle's defense (vs. SF) or T.J Houshman and NYG defense (vs STL)?
  • Options

<< <i>I am in a Salary cap league too. i had a quick question. Would you rather have Brandon Marshall and Seattle's defense (vs. SF) or T.J Houshman and NYG defense (vs STL)? >>

I think those combinations are pretty close but I would go with Marshall and Seattle. Cutler looked great last night, while Palmer and the Cincy offense looked just terrible. On the defenses, SF is going to be good for a couple of TOs and Seattle ought to be able to collect some sacks. The Giants are much weaker on the DL vs last year and the STL offense has more potential than SF (even though the Rams were just awful in week 1).
  • Options
    69Cubs69Cubs Posts: 150 ✭✭
    I would definitely take Marshall over T.J. Housh, Marshall is Cutlers favorite target and it looked like Cutler was hitting on all cylinders Monday night. Depending on your scoring system for defenses I don't see the Giants defense making up for Marshalls advantage.

Mike
  • Options
    Looking good for me this week after a slow start

For those who don't have Stattracker

Der Meister 37
    Twin City Phantoms 59

Dr J's Ballers 19
    The Meteorites 83

DES1984 56
    jimq 60

So. Central Rockcats 41
    Gator 19

DZnuts 60
    Wolfbear 64

Fighting Ditka's 25
    lsutigers1973 62

Get out of my Trees 48
    X-Factor 38

thenavarro 36
    Rugby's Marines 10

• Options
    Leias- thanks for the updates- that's cool of you. I hate that fox makes us have to pay extra to get stats- no other league that I know of does that. Worth it if you have multiple teams on Fox, I suppose, but I always check it first thing Monday AM and then start waiting for the MNF game(s)
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    As of 8:30 Central Time Sunday Night week 2:

Rugby's Marines 73 thenavarro 50

Dr J's Ballers 57 The Meteorites 86

DES1984 123 jimq 116

So. Central Rockcats 102 Gator 71

Der Meister 56 Twin City Phantoms 75

DZnuts 75 Wolfbear 105

Fighting Ditka's 37 lsutigers1973 89

Get out of my Trees 113 X-Factor 68

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Scores going into Monday night, most games are already decided
    Dr J ballers and DZnuts are the only teams that really have a factor in tonights games and they need some big points
    Everyone else the games are either totally decided or the winning team has players tonight

Der Meister 56
    Twin City Phantoms 76

Dr J's Ballers 57
    The Meteorites 83

DES1984 123
    jimq 116

So. Central Rockcats 102
    Gator 71

DZnuts 75
    Wolfbear 118

Fighting Ditka's 68
    lsutigers1973 89

Get out of my Trees 117
    X-Factor 69

thenavarro 50
    Rugby's Marines 84

• Options

<< <i>Scores going into Monday night, most games are already decided
    Dr J ballers and DZnuts are the only teams that really have a factor in tonights games and they need some big points
    Everyone else the games are either totally decided or the winning team has players tonight

Der Meister 56
    Twin City Phantoms 76

Dr J's Ballers 57
    The Meteorites 83

DES1984 123
    jimq 116

So. Central Rockcats 102
    Gator 71

DZnuts 75
    Wolfbear 118

Fighting Ditka's 68
    lsutigers1973 89

Get out of my Trees 117
    X-Factor 69

thenavarro 50
    Rugby's Marines 84 >>

Come on the Ditka's only need 21 points out of the Dallas Def and Kicker... wish me luck - I get to root for DEF td's and Field Goals - should be a fun Monday Night!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Scores going into Monday night, most games are already decided

Der Meister 56
    Twin City Phantoms 76

Dr J's Ballers 57
    The Meteorites 83

DES1984 123
    jimq 116

So. Central Rockcats 102
    Gator 71

DZnuts 75
    Wolfbear 118

Fighting Ditka's 68
    lsutigers1973 89

Get out of my Trees 117
    X-Factor 69

thenavarro 50
    Rugby's Marines 84 >>

Come on the Ditka's only need 21 points out of the Dallas Def and Kicker... wish me luck - I get to root for DEF td's and Field Goals - should be a fun Monday Night! >>

The Dr. J's Ballers (0-1) 57 to The Meteorite (1-0) 83, a 26 pt. difference. The Meteorites are done for the week, while Dr. J still has his kicker (David Akers - Phi) and his tight end (L. J. Smith).

The Fighting Ditka's (1-0) 68 to lsutigers1973 (1-0) 89 pts, a 21 pt. spread. lsutigers1973 is preparing for next week, while Ditka has two tricks in his sleeve. Philly receiver Greg Lewis and Dallas Kicker Nick Folk.

The Fighting Ditka's have a lot better chance at 21 with a receiver, then Dr. J. should at 26 with a tight end, I would think. Still, would feel a little better with an extra 10-15 pts. Factor in that the league gives a bonus pt. for a reception and long field goals earn bonuses, and either game is still open.

Good luck to everyone,
    Mark

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>The Fighting Ditka's have a lot better chance at 21 with a receiver, then Dr. J. should at 26 with a tight end, I would think. Still, would feel a little better with an extra 10-15 pts. Factor in that the league gives a bonus pt. for a reception and long field goals earn bonuses, and either game is still open. >>

The dust from Week 2 has settled.

The Fighting Ditka's and the lsutigers 1973 ended at an amazingly close 89-88 lsutigers, while I was able to hold onto the lead against the Dr J's Ballers 83-73

The top leaders after Week 2, including a place positions and all teams that have scored at least 200 pts.

1. So. Central Rockcats 2-0 / 230 pts.
    2. The Meteorites 2-0 / 209 pts.
    3. Rugby's Marines 2-0 / 206 pts.
    4. lsutigers1973 2-0 / 194 pts.
    5. Get out of my Trees 1-1 / 237 pts.
    6. Wolfbear 1-1 / 215 ots.
    7. DES1984 1-1 / 200 pts.
  • Options
    i can't wait to crush LSU with Kyle Orton this wek it will be great when I loose considering his team was auto drafted image
  • Options
    The Ditka's feel screwed! Greg Lewis dropped a pass on the final drive that would have given me the win or Philly could have held Dallas to a FG on Dallas final Position!
  • Options

<< <i>The Ditka's feel screwed! Greg Lewis dropped a pass on the final drive that would have given me the win or Philly could have held Dallas to a FG on Dallas final Position! >>

I feel your pain - been on the receiving end of those many times! I think a lot of people got screwed by guy Desean Jackson dropping the ball before he crossed the goal line last night. In one of my leagues it changed the outcome of a matchup because one team had McNabb and the other had Westbrook - that was a 12 pt swing.
  • Options
    I rock when it comes to autodraft!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I rock when it comes to autodraft!!! >>

LOL - and you were complaining that you got shafted by the autodraft!

Edited to add: Your team is looking pretty good at 2-0 by the way!
  • Options
    Around the League for Week 3

3rd place Rugby's Marines (2-0) takes on 5th place Get out of my Trees (1-1). With a league leading 237 pts. coming into week 3, Get out of my trees has almost a 100 pt. spread from the 16th place thenavarro (0-2,141). A solid win could Get out of the trees at the top of the board and give the Marines their first defeat. The Rugby's Marines is led by veteran Bret Favre who Get out of the Trees is depending on Kurt Warner, who looks like the Warner of 1999-2000.Yahoo predicts a 20 pt. lead for Get out of my Trees, but are the not counting the injuries (?) of Braylong Edwards and Frank Gore....and when was the last time you could depend on 25 from Gore. The Marines have their own Yahoo pt. predict-a-wrongs. Houshmandzadeh for 17...guess someone didn't tell Yahoo to flip their colander. Fans may not be yelling where is Houshmandzadeh....but if they could pronounce his name they might.

League leader So. Central Rocks, with Eli Manning, and who has thus far average a very healthy 129 pts. a game, takes on the Twin City Phantoms (1-1) led by Peyton Manning, in a showdown with the Manning brothers. Was last week's 4th quarter drive by Peyton a sign of things to come, or was the struggling first half? Is Eli for real? Will Tony Scheffler be the end zone target...SCR is wondering just that.

The Meteorites (2-0) take on the (0-2) Gator, and I have responded by investing in New Orleans, with Dree Brees, David Patten and Jeremy Shockey. Rookie Matt Forte and almost veteran LenDale White anchor the ground. Will it be enough to show Yahoo its predictions, with their 8 pt. favor to Gator,wrong? Led by Cutler, Westbrook, Brandon Jacobs, Roddy White and featuring the return of Steve Smith?