Home U.S. Coin Forum

what does one do with euro change?

I have about $400 face of euros in a book and a jar from my trips to amsterdam. The book I can probably
sell on bst, but what does one do with loose euros, is there a euro coinstar machine?

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Comments

• rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    I believe one euro is worth over a buck fifty, you may need to take them to a money exchange place, or a bank that will credit you the 600 or so bucks they are worth.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe one euro is worth over a buck fifty, you may need to take them to a money exchange place, or a bank that will credit you the 600 or so bucks they are worth. >>

You are correct Sir....One Euro is worth $1.58 ....
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    Many banks will exchange it for a small fee. Just call a few till you find one that is friendly.
  • banks only exchange paper money. dump them on ebay.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call around to some coin shops. We buy them in at 2/3 face value, and the boss carries them to Europe when he goes to coin shows there.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>Call around to some coin shops. We buy them in at 2/3 face value, and the boss carries them to Europe when he goes to coin shows there. >>

That is less than half of it's full value.
  • mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    I think they factor the exchange rate and give 2/3 face or 2/3 of $1.58 per euro. I could be wrong though.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Foreign coins are generally not accepted for exchange here in the US. Take them with you on your next trip to Europe and make sure you spend all of them.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • 500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    I'd keep it for your trip to the Euro zone. It is not worth the high commission you would pay to exchange coins.

I'm going to Italy next month, if you are near Philly I'll take them off your hands.
    Finem Respice
  • mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    I have a Idea Bill, Go back to Amsterdam & dump it in a coinstar machine over there.

P.S. no need to thank me image Have a good one!!!
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Save it for your next trip yo Amsterdam. Though its all legal there, it aint free!!!
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Call around to some coin shops. We buy them in at 2/3 face value, and the boss carries them to Europe when he goes to coin shows there. >>

That is less than half of it's full value. >>

Is it my math or does this not make sense? How is 2/3 less than 1/2?
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    My last trip through Amsterdam earlier this month I dumped a sandwich bag full of small denomination euros (20 cents and below) in one of the charity buckets. They do accumulate quickly!

For the higher denomination euros, I just make sure I carry 5-10 euros worth at all times when I'm in the Euro zone. Great for purchasing coffee or sandwiches, but this does lead to those pesky small change euros. Tip jars at coffee houses are another place to dump these. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use them to practice your dipping skills...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Sell them to me. I'm going to Europe.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Is it my math or does this not make sense? How is 2/3 less than 1/2? >>

1 Euro is $1.58. 2/3 of 1 is .33 +.58 = .92

half of $1.58 = .79

Hence 2/3's of face is much less than half.

edited: 1 meaning face value as stated in the original quote.

edited again: face value in U.S. dollars.

<< <i>

How the hell is 2/3 face value less than half of its full value???????
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>

<< <i>

How the hell is 2/3 face value less than half of its full value??????? >>

If you take face value to be 1 U.S. dollar it is less than half of the value, see previous post.
    You work for the U.S. Treasury, do ya?
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Euros are also used by overseas possessions, such as the French islands in the Caribbean and St. Pierre (off the eastern coast of Canada.) Planning a trip?

<< <i>You work for the U.S. Treasury, do ya? >>

• thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use them as an excuse to take a trip to Europe soon? image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Living in Holland I can't think of ANY reason how you could end up with that much money after a trip to Amsterdam...

• gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>

<< <i>

Here is the confusion Tom. If I bring you 1 euro, and you give me 2/3 of face, you are giving me 66 cents. Since the euro is worth $1.58, is not 66 cents worth less than half of that?

Of course the confusion came in the wording of the problem. When you say you will pay 2/3 of face, im assuming you meant 2/3 of the current market value, or $1.58, which is $1.04.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Here is the confusion Tom. If I bring you 1 euro, and you give me 2/3 of face, you are giving me 66 cents. Since the euro is worth $1.58, is not 66 cents worth less than half of that?

Of course the confusion came in the wording of the problem. When you say you will pay 2/3 of face, im assuming you meant 2/3 of the current market value, or $1.58, which is $1.04.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

image >>

Of course! 2/3 of face value is (approximately) US$1.05! That's what I said in the first place!!!!

The face value of a Euro is not 100 U.S. cents. Why would anybody think it was???

TD

<< <i>The face value of a Euro is not 100 U.S. cents. Why would anybody think it was???

TD >>

Because you're a coin dealer? image

<< <i>

<< <i>The face value of a Euro is not 100 U.S. cents. Why would anybody think it was???

TD >>

Because you're a coin dealer? image >>

Because we are in the US and not in Europe. Face value is relative unless put into context, like 2/3 face after exchange rate.

<< <i>Because we are in the US and not in Europe. Face value is relative unless put into context, like 2/3 face after exchange rate. >>

Not all all. I knew exactly what he meant. Face value is face value in the currency it represents. You just don't take the number and assume it's USD.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Because we are in the US and not in Europe. Face value is relative unless put into context, like 2/3 face after exchange rate. >>

Not all all. I knew exactly what he meant. Face value is face value in the currency it represents. You just don't take the number and assume it's USD. >>

Barry is correct, when I used the term "face value" I ment the number imprinted on the coin itself. I am well aware
    the US dollar is not worth what 1 euro is. Being a ticket broker for many years as a hobby, not a living, face value always
    ment to me what the ticket cost coming out of the box office. I just carried the term over to this analogy image

After starting this thread last night, I dug out whats left of the loose euros (not notes, coinage) which had been raided
    by, well thats not important. I have around $100 face left all coins and thats what I am looking to turn into capital for someone I am
    currently trying to help out.

according to the raider of the lost euros, they had a real good time with the other 300+ image

edit to say, I am sorry if my verbage caused any misunderstandings here image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

• << <i>
    Is it my math or does this not make sense? How is 2/3 less than 1/2?

>>

Them there "new" math. Try and keep up.

Edited because I hit the wrong button.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little OT, but for what it's worth, if you buy tangible personal property in Europe, save the receipt and go to a special booth at the airport right before leaving to get the VAT refunded. I did this re my '04 trip to Portugal and actually got a refund check in the mail.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    imageimage
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>A little OT, but for what it's worth, if you buy tangible personal property in Europe, save the receipt and go to a special booth at the airport right before leaving to get the VAT refunded. I did this re my '04 trip to Portugal and actually got a refund check in the mail. >>

does cafe or redlight district purchases count as tangible personal property?

could not resist. most of my time there is spent in cafes, concerts all over europe (train rocks there, can pretty much go anywhere)

and the occassional stroll thru the redlight district. Id post some personal tangible pics, but would surely be booted and poofed
    very fast image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file