Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Official 2008 Allen & Ginter Rip/Trade/Show Off/Information Thread....

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I know nothing excites my wife like when I rip open packs of cards, it usually takes a day or two for me to recover.

Now that's off-topic >>

Totally not off topic...because Allen & Ginter is a natural aphrodisiac.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Here's one reason why I'm glad I'm NOT opening Hobby cases -

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball/10649-g-hot-box-taiwan.html

22 Rip Card in one box - good for him, but you know that means 21 of you with hobby cases are NOT getting a rip card in it.

He ripped 4/22 of them. His four minis were Chrisy Mathewson, Lou Gehrig, Hunter Pence and I forget the fourth. Sorry.

kshorton says: i gots an Empire State Building card... seeking advice.. is this better and worth more than my psa 3 franco harris 1973 topps card which i defouled by trying to make a baby with ? Please advise. the franco card is graded.. the ESB card is not yet, and I do not want to have a baby with the ESB card.
  • Options
    What ships this weekend?
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    I can totally see Topps doing that and I think it's a good idea. Unlike the fears posted in that thread, I'd guess Topps has accounted for such hot boxes and each case on average will have its designated Rip Card.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd guess Topps has accounted for such hot boxes and each case on average will have its designated Rip Card. >>

If I'm not mistaken, the Rip Card inserts have increased to 100 this year, there were only 50 different the last two years. This could be one of the reasons why.
  • Options
    In as popular as they are, I can see Topps making that decision.
  • Options
    Hopefully that won't drive the buying prices for those rip cards down...Because sadly I sell mine to try to get that +/- closer to the green side.

On another note, thanks for all you guys for making this really exciting. And to quell some of my anxiousness, I'm going to wish you good luck for a 17th time.

- p.m.
  • Options
    Question, why aren't there any modern Allen & Ginter cards on SMR?
  • Options
    Saw this on another board and hadn't seen it here so I thought I'd share. Some of the champions (or maybe all?):

Nicky Hayden- Motorcycle Champion
    Stevie Williams- Skateborder
    Bonnie Blair- Champion Speedskater
    Dan Jansen- Champion Speedskater
    Kerri Strug- Champion Gymnast
    Matt Biondi- Champion Swimmer
    Joey Chestnut- Hot Dog Eating Champ
    Billy Mitchell- Pac-Man Dude
    Rampage Jackson- Fighter
    Janette Lee- Billiards Player
    Lisa Leslie- basketball player
    Serena Wiliams- Tennis Player
    Andrea Farina- Rock Paper Scisssors Champ
    Takudzwa Ngwenya- Rugby Player
    Todd Clever- Rugby Player
    Wang Liqin- Table Tennis Champ
    Aaron Pryor- Boxer
    Danny Green- Boxer
    Edison Miranda- Boxer
    Jeff Fenech- Boxer
    Joel Casamayor- Boxer
    Kelly Pavlik- Boxer
    Marcus Henderson- Guitar Hero
    Ochi Yosuke- Air Guitar Champ
    Allen Fisher- Arm Wrestling Champ
    Bob Motley- Umpire/ Negro Leaguer
    Mark Spitz- Swimmer
    "WITH GORILLA GONE, WILL THERE BE HOPE FOR MAN?" Daniel Quinn, Ishmael
  • Options
    For those of you who normally order your cases from Blowout Cards, how close to the actual release date do you usually receive them? I'm just wondering if I'll be ripping next week or the following week.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>For those of you who normally order your cases from Blowout Cards, how close to the actual release date do you usually receive them? I'm just wondering if I'll be ripping next week or the following week. >>

That is who I ordered my case from and I would be interested in knowing this as well.

On a side note: I had Chinese for supper and my fortune cookie said that Wednesday is my lucky day. I really hope that is referring to the A&G release and the amazing DNA or cut signature pull that I will have. image

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    I'm going to try something in the hopes that it works out. I want to find out by the number on here what type of product seems to be producing better results. So, with that I'd like to be PMed information about what you receive. So, below is how it works:

PM me-

Blaster and where you bought it, Retail (you bought a box of retail), or Hobby

Other than base cards and base minis, what did you receive? (wood mini's, bazooka mini's, relic, auto, rip card, printing plate, etc.)

If you have more than one box, please list by box.

I think as time goes on we'll start to see a trend. Anyone want to help with this?
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Guru,

I thought it would be cool if we could keep all the important info in one place. I know last year sometimes I would have to search for the SP list or the odds, or the trading standards. You know the important stuff that gets lost in the hundreds of pages we're going to rack up.

Can you edit all that into the 1st post, so that we all can refer to it quickly?

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For those of you who normally order your cases from Blowout Cards, how close to the actual release date do you usually receive them? I'm just wondering if I'll be ripping next week or the following week. >>

That is who I ordered my case from and I would be interested in knowing this as well.

On a side note: I had Chinese for supper and my fortune cookie said that Wednesday is my lucky day. I really hope that is referring to the A&G release and the amazing DNA or cut signature pull that I will have. image

Chris >>

What these guys said. I have never ordered from Blowout before. Do they send an email when it is shipped? Also UPS, USPS? Any info would be great.
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Chris,

Whatever about odds, Zep is going to pull the premier insert, so chance goes out the window. He is one lucky Mofo.

Whammy (still at the beach and going to miss out on prime ripping time).
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I'm sending all my boxes to Zep this year to open.

Kevin
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Good call, Kevin. Namky is the next best bet and Jason is close behind. You might have to send all over the country. Lord knows I need to ship out to get good pulls (insert drum roll, the wife won't do it!)
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    If someone can send me the checklist and any other important information regarding the product, I will be happy to edit the first post to reflect this information. Also, last year we kept up with the Cut sigs that had been pulled. I believe Rube was in on that. I'd like to do the same this time.

From a stats standpoint, I want to see what product and from where is pulling in the best results.
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What these guys said. I have never ordered from Blowout before. Do they send an email when it is shipped? Also UPS, USPS? Any info would be great. >>

I've ordered a lot of cases from blowout and they are very reliable and ship fast. I don't think they send tracking info automatically, but if you email them they will send you the tracking info. Good luck!
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good call, Kevin. Namky is the next best bet and Jason is close behind. You might have to send all over the country. Lord knows I need to ship out to get good pulls (insert drum roll, the wife won't do it!) >>

I'm flattered Whammy, but if 2008 Heritage was any kind of indicator, im in a bit of a drought. I agree that Zep is always the solid first choice.

Namky
  • Options
    kshorton says: i gots an Empire State Building card... seeking advice.. is this better and worth more than my psa 3 franco harris 1973 topps card which i defouled by trying to make a baby with ? Please advise. the franco card is graded.. the ESB card is not yet, and I do not want to have a baby with the ESB card.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    if i dont get my case of ginter soon, im going to go thru withdraw symptoms and have to go to the methadone clinic image
    must touch shineys lol
  • Options

<< <i>if i dont get my case of ginter soon, im going to go thru withdraw symptoms and have to go to the methadone clinic image
    must touch shineys lol >>

I thought that said hineys at first. image

Hi Rube.
  • Options
    hi nick- i just saw a pic of too much hiney on the beer and cards thread some douchbag put on, its pretty funy, i put in my 2 cents as usual image
  • Options
    Check out this LINK I wonder how many of us will be getting cases with no rip cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Check out this LINK I wonder how many of us will be getting cases with no rip cards. >>

That has already been discussed since there are more rip cards and apparent hot cases it is believed the rip cards will be distributed at least as stated. If not Topps has usually been pretty good about replacing guaranteed cards that are missing.
  • Options

<< <i>Check out this LINK I wonder how many of us will be getting cases with no rip cards. >>

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

That has already been discussed since there are more rip cards and apparent hot cases it is believed the rip cards will be distributed at least as stated. If not Topps has usually been pretty good about replacing guaranteed cards that are missing. >>

You don't seriously believe what you are saying, do you? This is so FAR beyond "replacing guaranteed cards" - they just killed a BIG money ticket to this product and ruined where busters expect to make back at least a full 10-15% of the case cost and they aren't going to just print up more of them - they are all serial #'d.
  • Options
    Leiascards, I posted it because I do not believe it has been discussed here. Whether or not Topps makes good on any missing rip cards is not really the point, I think Bill hit the nail on the head.
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Let's say that this is legit, and there are indeed some hot cases that have 100+ rip cards in them. Why does that automatically mean that there will be some cases without rip cards? Sure, there's a fixed number of rip cards, but we don't know how many hobby cases were actually produced so we don't know that any of them will necessarily have to be shorted. Its no different than some cases being hot-auto cases - having 10-15 autos in a case, where most cases maybe yield 5 (just making up those numbers for illustrative purposes). Also, its not beyond question that Topps has held back from general distribution more than a few rip cards, so that they can fulfill replacement issues. I believe they always hold back some of all types of cards (chrome, serial#d, auto, etc) so they can address issues. Remember someone on this board last year had a problem with a rip card that was damaged prior to opening and they got a replacement from topps. I myself have gotten several replacements on several heritage cards from topps over the years.

• Options

<< <i>Here's one reason why I'm glad I'm NOT opening Hobby cases -

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball/10649-g-hot-box-taiwan.html

22 Rip Card in one box - good for him, but you know that means 21 of you with hobby cases are NOT getting a rip card in it.

He ripped 4/22 of them. His four minis were Chrisy Mathewson, Lou Gehrig, Hunter Pence and I forget the fourth. Sorry. >>

From an earlier post in this thread..
  • Options
    As parker pointed out we don't know nothing yet. Some of those rip cards may only be available in the "hot boxes/cases" we just don't know yet. As also pointed out you do not know the exact distribution of the cards and you also have to remember a few of these cards are held back by the company to fulfill NPN obligations and any other problems that may arise.
  • Options
    I seem to remember this last year...anyone else..the early case that had like 11 autos in it? Everything was fine after that and I didn't hear of anyone
    getting shorted. I would like to know why Taiwan is getting their boxes before us!

Called my dealer today and he said Wednesday. I was really hoping for today or tomorrow. This sucks! Is it too early to comb the retail stores?

Kevin
  • Options
    Kevin, I'm right there with you called the local shops today hoping to get lucky, but it was not to be. I did reserve a couple of boxes locally to hold me over until my case arrives.
  • Options
    There was something early last year where there were some outrageous cases. Anyone ever thought the first cases shipped may actually be the last cases produced and they use these to get rid of the leftovers that are not being held out for replacements and NPN.
  • Options
    Japan is already on ebay. This really makes me mad. I sent an email to Clay at topps and he agrees its unfair that Taiwan and Japan get product
    first..he says he will have a talk with some people. I really wish there were more stores here.

Kevin
  • Options
    Someone in Taiwan pulled 129 rip cards WTF!!! This is not starting off the way I wanted it to.

Kevin
  • Options
    Now that does make you start to wonder. Remember though Taiwan and many asian countries are notorious counterfeiters of things like these so that is another possibility to what is going on.
  • Options
    Everyone needs to calm down about the Rip cards. There's plenty of product out there and Topps has never not helped people because they didn't receive something. If you don't get one in your case, just save all the wrappers and call Topps. I'm sure they'll take care of it.
    It seems that people are more upset about the Rip cards because of the chances of not having one to sell on fleabay than because you just want one.
  • Options

<< <i>.......It seems that people are more upset about the Rip cards because of the chances of not having one to sell on fleabay than because you just want one. >>

No, I just want to hold one. Of course that's the reason. Who's trying to disguise it?
  • Options
    It seems that people are more upset about the Rip cards because of the chances of not having one to sell on fleabay than because you just want one.

Thats the only reason I would want a rip card to sell it. As pointed out they typically can make back 10 to 15% of the total case price. There are NO cards I buy that I will not sell if the money is right.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I always rip. Just laneded in Tiwan, grabbing everything i can get my hands on! image
  • Options

<< <i>I always rip. Just laneded in Tiwan, grabbing everything i can get my hands on! image >>

The hot cases are in Taiwan, you went to the wrong country. image
  • Options
    Does anyone know when blasters are supposed to hit retail shelves?
  • Options
    Most likely about a week or 2 after the release
  • Options
    Just talked to a guy at a local shop. His case is here already. Fedex just dropped it off. $89 a box.
  • Options
    The last thing I want after waiting 6 months for a product is have to send in 144 wrappers delivery conf to topps and beg for a replacment. Topps is going to
    take MAJOR heat for this crap.

Kevin
  • Options
    Guru, what are you still doing at home, I'd already be on my way to pick up a few boxes. For those of you that wondered about when Blowout will be shipping, Chris from Blowout told me the cases would be shipping out tomorrow and tracking numbers would be available later in the day.
  • Options
    Well, to be honest, the fundage is very low. Other than the blasters my mother in law is getting me for my birthday, I don't think I will be able to purchase much more. I've had a few things the last couple of months that need financial attention. I will have fun watching on here what everyone is getting though.
  • Options
    cool heritage addict, want my case now lol-thats who i ordered from too- prie has already shot up on em since i ordered em