Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Official 2008 Allen & Ginter Rip/Trade/Show Off/Information Thread....

Comments

• Options
    GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    Wow, a thread that I started actually hit 100 posts.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, a thread that I started actually hit 100 posts. >>

No relatives + no "woe is me" = success
  • Options
    Also, if this is going to be the thread all the trading happens on, I would make the title something simple like "The official 2008 Allen & Ginter trading thread." Just my opinion though.
  • Options

<< <i>Also, if this is going to be the thread all the trading happens on, I would make the title something simple like "The official 2008 Allen & Ginter trading thread." Just my opinion though. >>

yeah, Guru should change the title once ripping commences. last year's was simply "2007 Allen and Ginter"

two weeks isn't going to come fast enough!!!!
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    OH MAN, the sign is up for Allen and Ginter at target. Time to strap it on....urrrrr...fasten your seatbelts!

Kevin
  • Options
    I'll change the title once ripping begins. We don't want 2 threads about this floating out there and people posting all over the place.
  • Options
    10 days!
    White Whales:
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Has anyone seen the checklist for the cut signatures for this year's set? I can't find it on the Topps website.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Since we are now less than two weeks out on this I went ahead and changed the name. Have fun!
  • Options
    Actually, it drops on the 23rd...so that makes it 8 days from today.

Just curious, when do you guys expect to get your orders. I ordered mine online and was told to expect them on the 24th...
  • Options

<< <i>Actually, it drops on the 23rd...so that makes it 8 days from today.

Just curious, when do you guys expect to get your orders. I ordered mine online and was told to expect them on the 24th... >>

I was wondering that as well. I hope it's not more than a day or two. I'm going nuts already.

Chris

PS Any word on the cut sigs yet?
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I pray to god I get mine before July 30th since I leave for the National that day.

This is what I heard from my local dealer. Topps will ship on the 21st. Dealers should recieve them 22nd and 23. My guess is I will recieve my case on the 28ish. Although if my local dealer gets them first I am going to get a box or two for the weekend, just to hold me over.

Anyone seen a checklist?
  • Options
    Oh that is good, good news. I'm going nuts already too...almost bought a box of last years product but held myself back at the last minute. ;-)

I think there's a checklist on Topps.com but its horrifically organized (if you want to call it organized at all). My sources give me this cut sig list, taken from a dealer brochure from late May:

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    Adolph Coors
    John Paul Getty
    Eddie Rickenbacker
    Yuri Gagarin
    John Glenn
    J Edgar Hoover
    Henry Kissinger
    Roy Rogers
    Norman Schwarzkopf
    Daniel Webster
    Walter Winchell
    L Ron Hubbard
    7 TBD

Good luck everyone...7 days honestly cannot come soon enough.
  • Options
    There is the whole checklist at http://www.tradingcardcentral.com/forums/index.php?s=c2be5bf4a13380df2c2512a90af7f57d&showtopic=142010&st=0

<-----One question - how do I change my profile pic? I could only find those preset pictures and couldn't figure out how to upload my own. Any help would be great. Thanks
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Pogue, you can only upload icons on the 15th of each month; at the bottom of the "profile" page (see tab above right) you will have an upload feature.

The image must be 100x100 pixels or less.

Unfortunately, you missed the cut off by a day. Next month, A&G will be in full swing, and you'll have plenty of sweet A&G images to upload.

In the mean time, you can use a pre-loaded image by going to the same area on the profile page and selecting an image under the "view all" tab.

Good luck.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    psu92psu92 Posts: 283
    The checklist referred below still has TBD for a few cards. This is the same checklist as topps.com. Does anyone have a complete checklist yet?

<< <i>There is the whole checklist at http://www.tradingcardcentral.com/forums/index.php?s=c2be5bf4a13380df2c2512a90af7f57d&showtopic=142010&st=0

<-----One question - how do I change my profile pic? I could only find those preset pictures and couldn't figure out how to upload my own. Any help would be great. Thanks >>

• Options
    I just sent Topps an e-mail requesting a complete checklist. I'll let you know if they respond.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    Hey Guys! How's everyone been? I can't believe it took me this long to find this thread image
    I have 5 - 16 box blaster cases coming in. I am foregoing some of the inserts to increase the # of SPs and auto hits (assuming the autos are inserted at the 2-3 per hobby case rate again this year). The $75-150 on a rip card sale isn't worth the price differential between these blasters and the hobby boxes and the box toppers are always junk anyways.

As for trading, I am going to be looking for stuff. I don't think I'll do the black border set this year, but definately the mini set and after all my cases are broke, I should be able to get a list up pretty quickly. It is getting harder and harder every day to wait the arrival of this stuff out!

Best of luck to everyone with their breaks. You can email set need lists directly : themenards@cox.net or you can send me a PM too!

Talk to you all real soon!
    Bill
    kshorton says: i gots an Empire State Building card... seeking advice.. is this better and worth more than my psa 3 franco harris 1973 topps card which i defouled by trying to make a baby with ? Please advise. the franco card is graded.. the ESB card is not yet, and I do not want to have a baby with the ESB card.
  • Options
    Blasters are my method of choice too. Can't wait to get mine. But the hobby will be fun as well!
  • Options
    I have noticed that retail has been coming out very close to hobby. You used to have to wait a week or more, but that doesn't seem to be the
    case now. With all the short prints this year, the mini set is going to be TOUGH to put together. Trading is a must.

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>Blasters are my method of choice too. Can't wait to get mine. But the hobby will be fun as well! >>

Oh definately - hobby is fun too. And like Kevin said, there is usually a slight lag between hobby and retail, so I'm sure I'll do a few hobby boxes to hold me over until the blasters get here image
    kshorton says: i gots an Empire State Building card... seeking advice.. is this better and worth more than my psa 3 franco harris 1973 topps card which i defouled by trying to make a baby with ? Please advise. the franco card is graded.. the ESB card is not yet, and I do not want to have a baby with the ESB card.
  • Options
    Adolph Coors I need this cut sig to land in my case. I am a fan of the silver bullet
  • Options

<< <i>Adolph Coors I need this cut sig to land in my case. I am a fan of the silver bullet >>

Well unless there are 2 I don't think you are going to get it because it will be in one of my boxes. image

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Adolph Coors I need this cut sig to land in my case. I am a fan of the silver bullet >>

Well unless there are 2 I don't think you are going to get it because it will be in one of my boxes. image

Chris >>

now now. we all know that it will be in the first and only pack that Zep33 opens image
    White Whales:
  • Options
    I have a feeling that because of the popularity of this product last year, the blasters are going to be hard to come by in the retail stores. I guess what scares me the most is hearing people who do not even collect cards talk about buying these things just for the resale value.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Chris >>

now now. we all know that it will be in the first and only pack that Zep33 opens image >>

He won't get that one. He will probably get 2 or 3 of the others in his pack, however. image

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    OH MAN more news from topps...Fu*udome is in A&G IN LIMITED QUANTITY!

This will be one his first RC's and looks like it will be short printed. This could get pricey!

I love added value a week before the release.

Kevin
  • Options
    Nice!
  • Options

<< <i>OH MAN more news from topps...Fu*udome is in A&G IN LIMITED QUANTITY!

This will be one his first RC's and looks like it will be short printed. This could get pricey!

I love added value a week before the release.

Kevin >>

This would have to be a relic or rip card then I am guessing?
  • Options
    So Topps e-mailed me back today with a link to the checklist that they have online. The only reason that I e-mailed them in the first place was to find out who would be on the TBD cards, which are not on the checklist. I guess I will just have to wait and find out next week when I get to start ripping. Thanks for the help, Topps.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    How much per box is it going to be?
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    This will be my 1st year of A&G. The great time I've had collecting & trading Heritage here made me want to try the A&G as well. I have a hobby, blaster, & retail case coming. Hoping the retail looks better than the Heritage did this year. Good luck to all !
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    I'm starting to get a little pumped about A&G, so I thought I'd show off a bit and maybe get the rest of you pumped up right along with me.

I don't think I've scanned these before; if I did you are just gonna' have to deal with it. image
    Grady had more cards in last years set than anyone. The only one's I'm missing are the two printing plates, a wood, and the original sketch.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Man, thats sick. You got me thinking now, I might give that a shot. Maybe with F*kudome, that'd be fun eh?

Just a few days left. Let's hope the anticipation isn't better than the real thing.
  • Options

<< <i>How much per box is it going to be? >>

i'm selling hobby boxes for $86 shipped image

less if you want more than one image
    White Whales:
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>How much per box is it going to be? >>

i'm selling hobby boxes for $86 shipped image

less if you want more than one image >>

86 is a good price, especially for just one box delivered. Paul is an excellent trader too. That Grady collection is sick....might you tell us how much the wood
    set you back?

Kevin
  • Options
    wow that is more than I thought, these must really be special. Not sure if I am going to buy some, do you think you can make your money back?
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to this year guys, all of these posts, plus the speculation and scans of cards (that's a wonderful Sizemore collection) is getting me more and more excited. I have my set boxes labeled already, and my desk is clean and awaiting various stacks of pseudo-sorted cards. The trading is still the most enjoyable for me - I'm hoping to break my record for trades (set with this year's Heritage product) this time around. When is it shipping again? Bring it on!
  • Options
    Ships this weekend and should be in stores Tue/Wed. Time to load up on the mini top loaders!

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>Ships this weekend and should be in stores Tue/Wed. Time to load up on the mini top loaders!

Kevin >>

edit: found an answer to my own question... from the Topps site "In Hobby Stores: 07/23/2008" NICE!!!

It's shipping this weekend? I hope so! I thought it wasn't shipping until the 23rd. Or does the release date mean it's already out there and ready to sell?
    White Whales:
  • Options
    Usually a product is live on the date they give, which means it starts shipping before that. Guys across the pacific might have it anytime now.

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>wow that is more than I thought, these must really be special. Not sure if I am going to buy some, do you think you can make your money back? >>

To answer this question, this product is like ANY other product on the market - you win some, you lose some. If you hit the right combo of cards, yes, you can make your money back and then some. If you don't, then you will lose money.

The thing with A&G though is that it's less of a risk compared to other products on the market because of the popularity of the product and the relatively low cost/pack of the cards (compared to say $500 for one pack of exquisite). It's like playing the $5/hand black jack table vs. the $20/spin slot machine. You won't get as much out of it in terms of a huge payoff, but you didn't have to put up a whole lot of your cash in order to gamble for one massive payoff.

I've opened large quantities of this product in both years of it's release. I have made money off it both years. In 2006, I opened 4 sealed cases (48 boxes) of hobby, 8 retail boxes and about 25 blaster boxes. I made about $2,400 profit in the end.

In 2007, I opened 80 blaster boxes (3 sealed cases and 32 random boxes), 6 retail boxes and about 15 random hobby boxes (I didn't buy a sealed case this year). I made a couple hundred bucks in the end.

This year, I've preordered 5 blaster cases (80 - 8 pack boxes). Part of my thinking is this: SP's are 1:2 packs in both hobby and retail. The base cards are 5 per pack vs. 8 (if i remember correctly) in hobby. Since I've ended up with way more base cards than I have a use for in both years, hopefully this will cut down on my # of extra base cards and give me more SP for my $$$, allowing me to assemble more master sets and recoupe more funds that way. There are 50 SPs, and 64 per retail blaster case, so I should be able to assemble about 6 full master sets from my breaks and about 3 more base sets. Of course, this is where the trading comes into play with all you guys too image

I'll sell 5 masters, keep one for me and I'll sell the 3 base sets w/o SPs too. I figure that will be somewhere around $450-$475 in sales.

I'm also going to get 640 minis. So, given that a blaster box should give me 5 base minis per box on avg, I should get about 400 of them and be close to a master set. I'll sell this and probably get somewhere around $200-225 for it if I list it quick enough.

The other 240 should be some decent mixture of blacks, A&G backs, NNO's, Bazooka Backs and insert minis. One or two decent names on the NNO's or Bazookas and I should be able to recoup the cost of one case with just those.

If I bought hobby, at the BEST price, I could only get about a case and maybe one add'l box of this stuff for what I paid for all the blasters. That, at best, would yield 312 TOTAL mini cards. I'm getting more than TWICE that for the same price from my blasters and twice the chances at hitting the bigger $$$ mini parallels b/c the odds (which, to my knowledge aren't changing this year between retail and hobby and historically have always been the same - fingers are crossed!) are the same across the product outlets.

Add in the relics & autos and this is where I will either make money or lose money on my purchase. There SHOULD be at least 2-3 autos per blaster case and 4-5 relics (is what I averaged last year anyway). Even if the autos only avg $15 (which is HIGHLY unlikely) and $4 for relics, this shoudl be about $225-250.

So, as you can see, it's awefully hard to lose your shirt on this product - in fact, I don't think you can. I know I'll recoupe at LEAST 95% of my money based on the above figures in the WORST case scenario. In the best case scenario, I probably stand to make $300-400.

IF it were truly about money though, I could just sell off the boxes and make a good $500 doing nothing other than flipping them, but I really enjoy the breaks, the trading and the conversations around the cards - so you know that's what I'm most looking forward to with you guys image

Hopefully, some of us will do live breaks on the board. Those are always fun. I know I will!

Bill

So

• Options
    I think Bill is right on with all of that.

For my story... Last year I bought one hobby case. I made a master set and most of the flags and emperors mini sets. From trading I finished the flags and emperors and 2 more master sets. I sold all of my minis (except for Cardinals players), the extra master sets and I hit a 1/1 Jeter wood that I sold for big $. All in all I broke even on $ and ended up with some nice sets. This year I bought 4 hobby cases with intent to open 2 of them, sell one to everyone here and play "wait and see" on the 4th. I will be selling/trading a lot of it and hope to end up not too far down on $ while keeping a master set and a mini set (all A&G back would be nice).

I changed my mind on 2007 minis and have spent some $ getting them back. I have also spent a decent amount of $ trying to finish the relic set (only 2 more to go, Thanks Bill for filling the latest hole!). Anyone have a Bruce Lee or Arthur Shorin relic that they want to trade for some 2008 hobby boxes?

White Whales:
  • Options
    I'm glad to see so many familiar people and quite a few new people as well, should make for some great trading again this year. Dave, glad to see you on board the A&G addiction is nearly as strong as Heritage so be prepared.
  • Options

<< <i>.....the A&G addiction is nearly as strong as Heritage so be prepared. >>

It just doesn't sustain itself nearly as long as the Heritage action does.
  • Options
    I love the mystery surrouning A&G this year. The Fu**dome could be anything..from slightly short printed to only found in retail blasters at an alarming rate.
    There are still some TBD on the checklist, and topps has mentioned a special surprise too. The rip cards are enigimas in themselves..to rip or not to rip, that
    IS the question!

..and of course the thrill of turning over each and every mini and having a chance to turn a 1 dollar card into sometimes a 100 dollar card if you pull a bazooka
    back. I'm not too thrilled with the black borders this year on the GU and Auto, don't get me wrong, they look nice, but pack searchers will be able to hunt
    them down easy. I would only buy sealed boxes of retail.

I just can't wait to start ripping into these boxes. Get your scanners ready!!!!

Kevin
  • Options
    gstarlinggstarling Posts: 463 ✭✭
    Last year, I ended up with a really cool addition to my personal collection - a regular back Master mini set (base cards, snakes, flags, emperors, etc). I'm hoping to do the same this year. I got a really good deal on a hobby case ~$62/box and I really excited about busting it. I'll probably do some sort of live rip here.

We'll also need to come up with some kind of trading formula pretty early on to help us set builders. Man, I can't wait.
    Currently Buying:
    2004 Tommie Harris SPX Printing Plate (White Whale will pay top $$$)
    1994 SP Football Die Cuts PSA 10s
  • Options

<< <i>Last year, I ended up with a really cool addition to my personal collection - a regular back Master mini set (base cards, snakes, flags, emperors, etc). I'm hoping to do the same this year. I got a really good deal on a hobby case ~$62/box and I really excited about busting it. I'll probably do some sort of live rip here.

We'll also need to come up with some kind of trading formula pretty early on to help us set builders. Man, I can't wait. >>

Wow, great deal on the hobby case.
  • Options

<< <i>The rip cards are enigimas in themselves..to rip or not to rip, that
    IS the question! >>

Always rip!