Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Official 2008 Allen & Ginter Rip/Trade/Show Off/Information Thread....

Comments

• Options
    GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    I still have my fingers crossed that one of us will get a 1/1.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭

<< <i>I still have my fingers crossed that one of us will get a 1/1. >>

you mean a cut or a 1/1? There were actually several wood 1/1's pulled from board members. Jeter I know, I pulled Varitek and got crazy money for
    it. Heck even a no number Griffey can get you 100-125 is you pull early. Set builders are all over this stuff.

Kevin
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pulled a Prince Fielder wood 1/1 last year from my hobby case, and sold it for $400.
  • Options
    I can tell you right now as far as a trading formula, I don't really care - as long as I'm helping you out with your sets and your helping me, I'll trade high in your favor, but expect a return favor on the other end too if you have more for me than I have for you. It speeds up everyone completing their set, keeps a friendly atmosphere and helps get rid of all the extra crap I have lying around. Seriously - I still have a boat load of 07 singles that I have no idea what to do with, so I would have much rather of seen them go into people's sets last year.

Many of you from last year will recall that this is how I trade anyway. I don't pay any attention to a book value or odds ratio. As long as I'm helping you and your helping me and everyone is helping everyone, I'm happy and we'll all be happy.

If you don't agree, that's fine. But I'll be putting all the weight on you to figure out the book values and stuff, b/c I have no interest in wasting the time to do so!

Bill
    kshorton says: i gots an Empire State Building card... seeking advice.. is this better and worth more than my psa 3 franco harris 1973 topps card which i defouled by trying to make a baby with ? Please advise. the franco card is graded.. the ESB card is not yet, and I do not want to have a baby with the ESB card.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention - I have 10 packs of mini toploaders available - that's 100 total toploaders and 100 mini sleeves that go inside the toploaders - $40 delivered if anyone wants them. They are a tough to find and costly image
    kshorton says: i gots an Empire State Building card... seeking advice.. is this better and worth more than my psa 3 franco harris 1973 topps card which i defouled by trying to make a baby with ? Please advise. the franco card is graded.. the ESB card is not yet, and I do not want to have a baby with the ESB card.
  • Options
    More crappy info - wood cards, per the sell sheet, appear to be Hobby only this year.

• Options
    Bill trades wildly in your favor! Especially if you give him orders like "just send me some Cardinal stuff".

Thanks again Bill!
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    gstarlinggstarling Posts: 463 ✭✭
    PM sent on the mini toploaders
    Currently Buying:
    2004 Tommie Harris SPX Printing Plate (White Whale will pay top $$$)
    1994 SP Football Die Cuts PSA 10s
  • Options
    Just found this live break...lucky bast*rds got it a full 3 days early!

http://www.beckett.com/estore/news/?eskin=beckett&a=9751&s=1
  • Options
    Well, I decided not to watch it just as they opened the box to show the packs. All the surprise and anticipation will be mine!!

Look forward to trading with some of you guys...do you do it through TCC or another site?
  • Options
    What stores can you buy them from?
  • Options

<< <i>Just found this live break...lucky bast*rds got it a full 3 days early!

http://www.beckett.com/estore/news/?eskin=beckett&a=9751&s=1 >>

They got serious junk - you pray you don't get those boxes! LOL - Obviously, those boxes weren't sent directly from Upper Deck. They would have contained Lincoln DNA hair relic, a rip card #'d to 10 with a 1/1 Babe Ruth autograph and an extra 15 cards in each pack. image
  • Options

<< <i>What stores can you buy them from? >>

Blaster boxes (8? packs) you can find at Walmart or Target for $20. Or, you could get hobby boxes (24 packs) from any local card specific shop for probably around $100.
  • Options
    what a pair of morans. Not only did they know nothing about the product, they didn't know who half the people were...Marie Curie?? Bram Stoker? To
    think, these are the guys who come up with the prices of your cards! Two boxes and two autos.....gotta call bs on that!

OUCH

Kevin
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    I am unable to get in for this year--Any newbies who need the 2006 and 2007 sets send me a pm -I will not seperate sorry. Mike
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    dang so you can't get hobby boxes at wal mart or target? I have no card shops near me
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Aragorn:

prscott933 is selling hobby boxes for $86 delivered I believe. PM him.

Pogue:

As for trading, we just do it on good faith. Everyone in my sig line is someone I've bought from, traded with, or have been fortunate enough to receive a gift from. I've dealt with most of these gentlemen on multiple occasions.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    k thanks
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
  • Options
    Does anyone collect any of these players? I have NNO versions of their mini cards from 2007 still available. I was going to make the set, but bagged it at about 130 cards. It was too expensive and too tough.

Anibal Sanchez, Corey Patterson, Mark Zupan, Jake Peavy, Joe Crede, Josh Bard, Joe Borowski, Craig Monroe, Aramis Ramirez, Michael Young, John Lackey, Scott Rolen, Carlos Beltran, Bob Baffert, Xavier Nady, Ryan Shealy

Got these 2 - 2006 ones as well: Danny Haren, Jim Leyland

I also have some of the box topper cards if anyone needs those? I have 11 N-43s: Mario Andretti, Ryan Zimmmerman, CH Felicity's Diamond Jim, Bruce Lee, Vlad Guerrero, Greg Louganis, Joe Frazier, Ichiro, Ryan Howard, David Wright, Alex Rodriguez

I also have all the Cabinet size National Pride Box Toppers EXCEPT #10 USA. All others are available.

Lastly, I have about 400 singles left over from 2007 if anyone can use them. There are no SPs in there.

Let me know! Bill
  • Options
    I've got an Ali relic for sale right now on ebay if anyone wants to take a look.

Laila Ali Relic
  • Options
    Did anyone actually watch the live break? Those morons made me sick. Slamming the cards around and throwing teh packs, then whining about the cards being damaged. Then these foold pulled a Les Miles card and had no idea who he was!! AAARRGGHHH!!!
  • Options
    I'm watching the box bust right now. I like the black borders for the relics. Those seem nice.
  • Options
    The video froze up on me after 18 minutes.
  • Options

<< <i>The video froze up on me after 18 minutes. >>

Consider yourself lucky!

Kevin
  • Options
    Thread deserves a bump...

I can't wait until I open my packs but I am very new to the Allen & Ginter cards so you guys will have to help me by telling me which ones are valuable
  • Options
    Bill,

I'll take the Scott Rolen NNO. Save for a trade on the upcoming 2008.
    White Whales:
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just found this live break...lucky bast*rds got it a full 3 days early!

http://www.beckett.com/estore/news/?eskin=beckett&a=9751&s=1 >>

They got serious junk - you pray you don't get those boxes! LOL - Obviously, those boxes weren't sent directly from Upper Deck. They would have contained Lincoln DNA hair relic, a rip card #'d to 10 with a 1/1 Babe Ruth autograph and an extra 15 cards in each pack. image >>

OMG that is 25 minutes of my life I am never getting back! Those two dudes need to pick up a newspaper or hit the library every now and again. I may actually be dumber about the product after watching that.

But seriously it was cool to see the product for the first time. I like the rookies in the set, Bruce, Longoria, F**dome. The ginter code thing could be interesting. If I win it, I will sign my 2009 card TTM for a $5 donation to the FUR72 Baseball Card Research Center.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    im getting anxious- must open my allen and ginter case-hurry up image
  • Options
    Who is this new guy Rube that keeps posting?
  • Options
    Wow, I wonder if the PSA message boards are going to explode because of all the posts that are going to take place about this next week?
  • Options
    <Who is this new guy Rube that keeps posting?>
    yeah whois that???????? hi nick, hi guruimage
  • Options
    Hey Randy!!!! What's goin on?!
  • Options
    Hi Randy!!!
    White Whales:
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Where is anyone getting their mini sleeves? I just want sleeves, no top-loaders necessarily?
  • Options

<< <i>Where is anyone getting their mini sleeves? I just want sleeves, no top-loaders necessarily? >>

i got the combos from columbia sportscards. i am not sure where to get just sleeves.
    White Whales:
  • Options
    My dealer had a bunch of them, but Im not sure if they will be there, Ill try to pick up extras. I use them for my no number and bazooka backs, also rip minis. I believe
    everything else will be inside a window.

Back to the beckett rip....did you see them try to expalin the crack the code cards and then proceed to go right by them when they were pulled? It looks like
    certain cards have letters all the way around them and perhaps lining them up in a certain way will get you the code. Oh man, added work, Loving it.

I was also VERY happy to see Ruth and Mantle come out of the packs..I wonder what other great they will have....can you imagine the price on a ginter wood
    Ruth. WOW

I need this stuff now!!!

RANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You been in the bunker since last years A&G? LOL
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>My dealer had a bunch of them, but Im not sure if they will be there, Ill try to pick up extras. I use them for my no number and bazooka backs, also rip minis. I believe
    everything else will be inside a window.

Back to the beckett rip....did you see them try to expalin the crack the code cards and then proceed to go right by them when they were pulled? It looks like
    certain cards have letters all the way around them and perhaps lining them up in a certain way will get you the code. Oh man, added work, Loving it.

I was also VERY happy to see Ruth and Mantle come out of the packs..I wonder what other great they will have....can you imagine the price on a ginter wood
    Ruth. WOW

I need this stuff now!!!

RANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You been in the bunker since last years A&G? LOL >>

I think the Ruth is part of the Baseball Idol insert set. He may be in the regular set as well for all I know but I'm pretty sure that was one of the inserts. I'm not sure if they will make woods of those or not.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Good to see you on board Mr. Ruble.
  • Options
    hmm, the Ruth mini that the beckett guys pulled looked like it was part of the base set. Did you see that?

Kevin
  • Options
    i been hiding, trying to sneak up on this years allen and ginters, havnt saw a checklist or anything so ill be surprised, i never watched the video thing
  • Options
    Yes, that Ruth did look like a base card if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    08 Ginter is officially on the bay. From Taiwan of course. A few comments:

1) Lots of other things now...sharks, famous champion moments, states and other mini sets. and you thought the snakes were hard to pull!
    2) Looks like topps fixed the window problem on the autos..but
    3) The cloth cards have the window which looks dumb, but the "cards" do look nice!
    4) 3 cases looks like it only yeilded one F***dome...it was a no number, but I couldn't tell if it was a mini...I think not.
    5) The box topper auto of Man Ram did not have a topps sticker of authenticity on the back..hmmm
    6) Ruth is part of an insert set, but Mantle is #7 and part of the base set.

Kevin
  • Options
    Great info. Thanks! I'm always scared of those South Pacific cards...
  • Options
    looks like there is a 5 card deadliest sharks this year.
    also a pioneers of avation 5 card set
    greatest victories...5 card set?
    ancient icons 20 cards including my fav beowulf
    also he lists short prints already (not sure where he got that from) many are the non-baseball players...including my fav Tchaikovksy!

the mini set is going to be a mother this year!

Kevin
  • Options
    Yeah, this sucks...I've sunk a lot of money into other ventures recently...including vet bills...I didn't buy enough product...
  • Options
    I haven't seen many posts about the actual topic of the thread.
    -Rome is Burning

• Options

<< <i>I haven't seen many posts about the actual topic of the thread. >>

In as much as people are annoyed by you, I appreciate your farcical approach to handling the naysayers. In my opinion, there is very little that constitutes true "high jacking" of a thread; I think threads should go where the natural discussion leads.

In the case of this thread, every comment, other than your own and my reply, are spot on topic. They concern individual board members' excitement, the latest A&G sightings, reminders of when the product drops...just little notations to make the time between now and the day the first one of us rips a pack go by.

So, I reject the notion that the posts in this thread are largely off topic; in fact, I'd say this thread is one of the more popular on topic threads on the boards.

My advice, buy some product when it drops. You'll mellow out, live longer, and your wife may spend a little quality time with you.
  • Options

<< <i>I haven't seen many posts about the actual topic of the thread. >>

I've seen very few posts that aren't on topic, or is there something I'm not getting here?
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I know nothing excites my wife like when I rip open packs of cards, it usually takes a day or two for me to recover.

Now that's off-topic