1955 Topps All-American Set

Comments

• Options
    i just got my first one today scan to come soon!!! yay
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options

<< <i>i just got my first one today scan to come soon!!! yay >>

Ok, new rule... no one can start any sets I am working on in the grades I am working on until I am done with mine!

Between OTW on the 1948 Leaf and REC on the 1955 TAA my eBay win folder doesn't exactly runeth over.

A pox be upon your houses, good sirs!

Snorto~
  • Options
    ha ha..i am here so deal with it..ha ha jk

though i really do love this set.
    my t-205's

• Options
    Reese3333, That Doc Blanchard is a killer card! Love it!
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Thanks! I appreciate the kind words.
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    FYI
    there is a lot of 27 55 Topps All Americans up on ebay right now its $250

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270274219042

good luck to anyone that needs them.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    another upgrade for my set

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

• Options

<< <i>it's a great set and seems to be gettign more and more popular if that can be. i finished my set in i think 06 with a psa 7 don hutson what a great card i remember the first and last card i got to complete it. and i was getting 6's for about $9-$13 and 7's for about $16-20. so its nice to see them going up but i feel for you guys putting it together now. its a great set and i loved putting it together. i was going to do another on, i had about 40+ doubles in psa 5-6 from my first, but i traded them for some t206's. i now have 4 doubles from upgrades.

its like the 52 topps baseball set, they seem to have taken a jump in the last year or so. where you could get commons in psa 5-6 for about $12 now there $18+. i have slowed on my low number set since then, i'm picking up more raw now but those prices are up too. how about the decent raw 55 AA are those prices up as well? >>

wich 4 do you have? and are for trade or for sale or anything like that?
    my t-205's

• Options
    Ive been out of action on the set for awhile. Looks like you all are getting way ahead of me.
    My goal is PSA 6/SGC 80 (EXMT) cards or better. Ive been awful picky as I only go after cards with nice centering
    and eye appeal. I much prefer a centered 6 over a off centered 7 or 8.
    While my pickiness on the centering has caused me to pass on many cards, I feel it will be worth the wait in the long run.
    Had a chance at some PSA 7's and even a few 8's but the centering on those cards was just not acceptable to me.

The latest additions to my set have arrived.

Heres a perfect example. The eye appeal and centering on this card make it much more desirable to me than lots of other
    higher graded cards that are off centered or miscut. I actually think this card is under graded myself.

Now look at this card of the same grade. God I just hate that centering. I feel like SMASHING it with a hammer!
    The myth that SGC is weaker on centering is simply not true. This card crossed straight from PSA.

AHHH! Now this is more like it! No doubt this Nomelini has found a premanate home in my set.

Another example of why a nice centered 6 is a nicer card than the off centered 7,8. at least in my eyes.

Again Ive had a few chances at a "NM" example of this card, but I simply could not justify it. The Flips may have said
    NM 7, but the eye said it was not as nice as my 6 here.

OK, OK... Now yes I have been slamming some of the higher grades because of their centering. But when a card has the
    right centering to justify the grade it can and is a beautiful thing. Man I love this card!!!

After looking at so many miscut and grossly off centered Thorpe's I was down in the dumps and figured I was
    just going to have to grin an bear it on one of the o/c cards. Then a hole opened up in the sky and a bright light led me
    to this beauty! Not perfect centering, but by far the best of all the Thorpes I looked at. I can live with this

NOW for that Don Hudson Rookie! I know there is one out there for me somewhere!

John
  • Options
    this is what i have
    GRAYSON sold
    JUSTICE $25
    DOOLEY sold

GREEN $35

ALL PRICES ARE DELIVERED, I WOULD ALSO TRADE IF ANYONE HAS AN UPGRADE FOR ME.
    Fred

• Options
    i lowered the price a little

i have another upgrade coming soon also.
    Fred

• Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    another update

Fred

• Options
    Hi All

I have a few extra's if anyone is interested.

$20 each delivered
    $70 takes all four delivered

imageimageimageimage

Also Have a few extra Raw's

#50 Ken Kavanaugh. Clean mid-grade card. light corner wear. NO: Creases, Writing, stains, etc......... $5.00 delivered

#58 Ed Franco. Clean Mid-grade card. moderate corner wear. NO: Creases,writing,stains, etc........$5.00 delivered

#74 Gene McEver. Very clean,sharp card. I think it may pull a PSA 7............................$15.00 delivered SOLD

Pay-Pal: johnclayes@comcast.net

Will consider trades for 55 AA cards I need. What do you got?
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    I just looked on EBAY for some of these cards as I am buying them here and there in PSA 8. I saw a whole bunch of PSA 8.5s that are currently on there from the same seller. The certs are practically in sequence. Here's the issue I have --- none of them look like 8.5s. What's going on? Was PSA in a giving mood that day? This type of stuff is disturbing. Everyone has their opinion on what 8's and whatever should look like but there is too much corner wear on those cards. JMO.

Mickey71
  • Options
    Get use to it PSA is all over the board on these cards, as well as most others.
    The sheer volume of cards PSA now does is its own worst enemy. It has left them
    short handed of quality experienced graders. The janitor may have been called in to
    grade them cards.
  • Options
    I've got a few for my auto set to show

Johnny Lujack- I finally got this back after about 4 months of waiting! Thanks Johnny!

Dick Kazmaier- I had this one signed over the summer at the National in Chicago.

Leo Nomellini- D. 2000 Picked this up at the National this summer

Tom Harmon- Just got this one back from PSA
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

I received the last card I needed in the mail today to complete the set, #19 Bruce Smith PSA 6.
    I finished 36th with a GPA of 6.02.
    I scanned the front and back of every card if anyone wants to take a look.

recbball's '55 Topps AA set

Thanks,
    Tom
  • Options
    Congratulations on Finishing the set Tom!!!!!

How long did it take you to put the set together? I have been working on the set for 6, 7 months and hope to someday finish it,
    but things have slow down on it for me. Maybe Im getting to picky on the centering of the cards I want in my set.
    I have just sent 20 in on the SGC crossover special. If all goes well it should get me close to halfway on the set.
    Still need a Don Hudson Rookie. There have been a few 7's up for sale, but none of them had good enough centering for my needs.

Oh Well I'll keep plugging away when and where ever I can. Again Congratulations on completing the classic set.

John

I have the Following extra 55 for sale or trade if anybody is interested

$20 each delivered $70.00 Delivered for the lot of 4

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    congrats tom i didn't see this when you posted it. it nice to have it done isn't?
    Fred

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Just getting started on this one, but with some of the other projects I'm building, this will be a mid-level set. I'm looking to build it in PSA 6 and better, but looking for very solid centering. If anyone has any nice PSA 6 commons that are centered virtually 50/50 side to side and 55/45 top to bottom, I'm paying $15 per dlvd for the ones I need, and I need most as I have yet to crack 10 cards.

Just bought these recently, so this should give an idea of the centering I'm looking for:

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I have a nice VG/EX to EX Benny Friedman that I'd like to sell. I'm asking $20 dlvd if anyone is interested. If so, please PM or e-mail me at montooth13 at yahoo.com.

Rgs,

Greg M.

Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    I have several (33) 7's and 7.5's on ebay that are ending 1-13. I know recbball has some of my cards, as they are mostly from the cellos opened recently. I probably have several more avail. which includes Hutson in different grades if anyone is interested.
  • Options
    A couple new additions for my autograph set. The Goldberg is a huge addition considering how tough his autograph is to find.

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Reese,

You bum - that Graham is gorgeous! Congats. I just picked up an Otto Graham signed Exhibit card (JSA certified) for $25!! It's very nice...

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>I have several (33) 7's and 7.5's on ebay that are ending 1-13. I know recbball has some of my cards, as they are mostly from the cellos opened recently. I probably have several more avail. which includes Hutson in different grades if anyone is interested. >>

Interested in any nicer PSA 6 cards you may have that are very well centered. Can't mail you as your PM's are not turned on. Please advise or email otwcards@aol.com. Thanks.
  • Options
    Have more of my '55 AA's on the BAY again. Many in PSA 7.5. Will be adding some lower grade (5's, 6's and 7's) soon, keep a look out.

Scott - I'll try to get your four 6's out tomorrow, as the Post Office is only open a half day and it is pouring buckets here in sunny SoCal.........
  • Options
    Thanks Jim...
  • Options
    I have raw 55's of (all VG/EX to EX):

Benny Friedman
    Bruiser Kinard
    Ken Strong

$15 each or all 3 for $40. Prices include delivery.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

Finally figured it out. Now can share the best of the best............
  • Options
    WOW!!!! Those are incredible! image
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    WOW is right

that's all i can say

WOW!!!
    Fred

• Options
    the hutson is unbelievable

are you putting the set together? i know you have opened a number of the packs with some fine results i might add
    Fred

• Options
    Can't reply just yet re. "putting sets together"............just having lots of fun with it. here's some more quality:
  • Options
    reese. Leon, the Net54 Vintage Card Forum owner is going to be selling his '55 AA Luckman autographed card very soon. If you are interested go to Net54 Postwar football and you can view it.
  • Options
    Thanks so much for letting me know. I'll send him an email since his looks much nicer than the one I have!

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Reese,

In case you have not yet seen, the Luckman autog. card is now up for auction.............@ Brockelman & Luckey (The Net 54 guys who own it).

http://www.b-lauction.com/

fyi................this is from N. 54

leon
    (Premier Login leonl)
    Forum Owner hmm February 10 2009, 3:17 PM

starting lineup? That must be in the next generation ....

This auction is a bit smaller than the last one but has some nice collector cards. There has been a fair amount of interest in the Sid Luckman signed '55 Tops All American card.....so we shall see. Good luck to any and all....

Textfyi................this is from N. 54
  • Options

More tens
  • Options

Insert - Header from my '55 AA Cello boxes. Generic, but one can't help but think of Notre Dame.
  • Options
    macboube got any more 7's avilable on the bay?
    Fred

• Options
    Yes, still have lots of 7's. Maybe I'll get them on the Bay soon. Got another 7.5 of O'Brien, and that is the last of the 7.5's. Got tons of 8's. Thinkin about selling some. The 9's and 10's are NFS.
  • Options
    i'm always looking to upgrade if the price is right
    Fred

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    macboube - turn on your PM (profile -> Allow Private Messages on)

Could you share your cello box find with us? The box is very cool and any other scans of the packs would be appreciated.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    This is a scan of the box top: image
    This is a scan of an end: image

Notice how Topps' Trading Card Guild used a generic box (copyright 1953) and would just stamp the particular product they were including on the end. In this case FOOTBALL, but see the reference to PLANES? Cool. They would then pack the insert/header card loosely inside so "Mr. Dealer" would set it up and display it on the shelf. The boxes were recently authenticated and the original tape used to seal it from 1955 is still in tact in places.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Awesome find and thanks for sharing!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Stown: Sent you an email of the AA's avail. Let me know. If you purchase $100K worth, I'll throw in.............image
  • Options
    WOW!!!!!!!

they must have been fun to open!!!

send me a list of whats available, but i won't be buying 100k worth.

how many different 10 do you have? i suspect you could take over a top spot on the registry if you wanted. can't wait to see a complete set run of those cards.
    Fred

• Options
    Giving Stown the first shot at some 7's and 8's. Just got two more 10's, so we have 21 of the 28 that exist. We will rock some people's worlds on the Set Registry for sure. Joe Orlando will even have to eat his words re. the "set that would never be passed"!!!!!!!!

I love this card image
  • Options
    macboube
    i see you have taken the plunge on the registry, good luck with finishing the set.
    how was teh distribution in the cello?
    Fred

• Options
    Added a new auto to my collection

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333