Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1955 Topps All-American Set

What, no love for this beautiful set?

Last thread, other than spam, was from over three years ago.

Come on, who's with me?!?!

Here's my basic and master sets.

With my 2 recent pending purchases, currently sitting at 87% and 85% (respectively); looking to upgrade anything I have below PSA 7.

Even during the off-season, prices are still ridiculous for anything 7 or higher.

Discuss or I'll talk to myself untill this sucker hits 100.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Stown

I love the 55 Topps set...have most of the big ones. I picked them up back in the early nineties..which I am very glad I did. I don't buy them much anymore because the prices have gotten very high for them as you said. I check them out all the time, but have not pulled the trigger on one in the past year or two.

My 3 favs:

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never gave this set much thought in the past but after seeing some of Stowns gems being posted I took a second look and realized I do like them as they are a great looking set. I only have two of them right now but plan on buying a few more after I get a few "Larger" items out of the way first.. image
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    2dueces - Those PSA 5's and 6's look really really nice for the grade.
  • Options
    Stown. Im a little upset with you for starting this discussion/thread on the 1955 Topps All-American Football set without AT LEAST sharing with us a pic of the four Horseman card that I know you own...
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    great set!!!!
    my favorite football set. mine is complete with all 6-7-8's and i too am looking to upgrade my 6's to atleast 7's. it is very difficult to get that done now the prices are going up and i'm glad i finished mine about 2 years ago. when i was working on the set i loved talking about this great set. i'll try to get some scans up when i can i think they just look fantastic especially the real high grade copies.

cool thread and i agree the set should be talked about, it may help me start looking for more upgrades.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Lotsa love here.

A great thread to revive for a great set!

Although I only collect HOF Rookies, I absolutely love this set.

The only card from this set that I currently own is a treasure (for me at least)-- a Don Hutson PSA 9 NQ (ooh ahhh).

Marc (MAD)
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The only card from this set that I currently own is a treasure (for me at least)-- a Don Hutson PSA 9 NQ (ooh ahhh). >>

Holy crap.

Scans please..

And per perkdog's request:

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    << The only card from this set that I currently own is a treasure (for me at least)-- a Don Hutson PSA 9 NQ (ooh ahhh). >>

yeah i would love to see that one too, i have a 7 i really like
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

• Options
    Very Nice Stown image

• Options
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    Check out my complete master set sitting at like #7 or 8 on the registry.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    WTB

Low grade (PSA 3 to 5 quality):

Johnny Lujack
    Bill Dudley
    Ace Parker

Please PM or e-mail me with offers.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    One of may favs for design and great info on the backs.
  • Options
    i am looking to acquire a complete low grade set of these...any idea where to get one?
  • Options
    I picked this up a while ago for under $400, which was due to the centering:

However, the corners are perfect and if I sent in for review, probably get a 9 with a qualifier.
  • Options
    Wow!
    Fantastic cards you all posted here! Now I know why I choose this set. Over the past year I have wanted to do a vintage 50's set,
    Just recently I had narrowed it down either the 55 Topps All American Set or The 52 Bowman Small Set. Both are beautiful sets, but I chose the 55 AA's. The Star Power and the Great Card design, as well as being the 1st Topps set made it the obvious choice.

I just started the set and I am looking to build it in the 6, 7 range with decent centering. Scans and slabs can hide most any flaws and still make the card present well with nice eye appeal. It can't hide centering. In the 6,7 range there is always going to be some corner wear and I will trade a bit of corner wear for centering.

I actually won three cards from this set 20 years ago at a "Brick & Mortar" Auction. I think I gave a couple bucks apiece for these.

These two have a very faint hairline and some surface wear so I doubt they will find their way into my final set. Another thing I
    just love about this set is all the nicknames, "Brick" and "Tank". Its just classic stuff!

Here is the other card I won at that auction.

No creases, but some surface and corner wear. Im still trying to gauge how PSA and SCG grades on these older cards.

About a month ago I picked up these from ebay and thus, got the ball rolling. All have a bit of light wear

Im not sure if these are nice enough to get a grade 6.

Then I picked up this one

This one has nice corners and stil has some nice gloss to it. Im not real happy with the centering.

So now I have a handful of Raw 55's and thought it's time to quit playing the guessing game with these raw cards. Yes I may still pick some up if I see the right ones.

Im all in now! as I picked up these last week from "Rube"

These cards are awesome and I thought they was as nice as any 7's I've seen. Point in case, I picked up this PSA 7 that is no way as nice as the 6's I got from "Rube"

I don't have this one yet, but I won it on ebay a week ago.

Im currently trying to work a trade for a psa 6 Four Horseman card. I can see right now this set is going to cost me out the WAAZOOO.
    But I figure to just keep chipping away. SO LOOK OUT! Im after well centered 6,7 cards and I will be in the bidding wars most likely against most of you guys. .

My long term plan is to cross the set into SCG holders. They just display and look so much better to me and really make the cards standout as museum pieces.

Well I better be going, I have to go out and pick up some more alumimun cans so I can buy the next card. My wife says if I buy one more card she is going to leave me................................. MAN...... Im sure going to miss her<G>

John
  • Options
    Glad to see my former cards found a nice home.

• Options
    Stown,

Which one were formerly Yours? Have you sold me some on Ebay? Either way I just Love the condition and centering of the psa 6's I have gotten. I would go after a few 7's but most I have seen so far are to off center for my taste. Im content with being a bottom feeder of centered high quality psa 6's that the big boys disguard while chasing the big money upgrade cards.

I am now TOTALLY obsessed with the set. I just picked up some more beautifully centered 6's tonight from ebay.

#7 Andy Bershak PSA 6
    #16 Knute Rockne PSA 6
    #27 Red Grange PSA 6
    #53 Jack Green GAI 7
    #60 Tiger Hill GAI 6.5

Am I making a mistake with the GAI cards? Does a GAI 6.5 and 7 have a chance of crossing to SCG 80 (6 EXMT)? The cards looked very nice and I figured I would take a chance on them.

Now onward!!!!!! in my quest for Thorpe, Baugh, Luckman, Hudson and The Horseman Cards. Well ok Im kinda broke at the moment and need to replenish my alumimn can supply for the funds, But hey! Chip away at the stone!

Taking donations as well. Please check out my "Rookie Cards for Sale" Thread. Selling these will go right to the 55 Set fund. A nice 73 Franco Harris Rookie as well as a nice 70 Bubba Smith Rookie and a ton more I have listed there. ALL WITH PICS Check it out.

I will post scans of my new cards once I recieve them.

John

• Options
    hey john nice as start, congrats on a great choice for a set. it does get addictive it's a beautiful set and a great journey, i wish this thread was up when i was putting it togther the scans are great.
    keep them coming.
    Fred

• Options

<< <i>Stown,

Which one were formerly Yours? >>

Most, if not all, of the ones you got from rube.

Next time, we'll squeeze out the middle man and pass the savings onto you.

I started off the same way with clean midgrades but got bit by the registry bug.

Dam them all!

• Options
    Yup,

Rube told me he got them from you for his buddy, but then his friend passed away and his wife gave them back.
    I told Rube I would take good care of the cards for his friend. As I said Im extremely happy with the condition of the cards.
    I can't wait to get the Knute Rockne and Red Grange I won, Both had great centering and looke nice for the grade. The Rockne I paid right at SMR and the Grange just under SMR, So Im pretty happy with that.

Stown, I know how easy it can be to get caught up in the "Registry Game" But I doubt that is going to happen to me on this set. Ive already be caught up in that game with my 72 Topps Football set. While naturally I will buy the best I can afford, I simply want to have a nice midgrade set with nice eye appeal. I won't have no problem checking my ego at the door on this set.

Any of you guys had any luck or advice about GAI cards. I won a couple of them as well in the hopes that a GAI 6.5 and 7 will cross to SCG 80(6 EXMT).

John
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    i need to get a better scan

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I got a few Heisman RC's today. The 7 seems graded high and the 4 about right I imagine. I paid under $10 for the pair and they are free of creases so I am happy with them. Never heard of the grader before.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Hi guys,

Great thread! I've been toying with the idea of attempting to get as many cards from this set autographed. I have a few HOFers already, and it would be incredibly challenging but I think I may give it a shot. If anyone has any signed for sale let me know.

Thanks!
    Reese

Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options
    reese
    i think it would be a great set to get signed. i kno0w there are a couple of the players still alive, dudley, parker and a couple others but it's tough to find them.
    good luck
    Fred

• Options
    I've pondered on doing it, since the set is only 100 cards.

Unfortunately, most of the "key" players are either dead, unable to sign, or unable to locate through 3rd party address lists.

However, still would make a really fun project.

Good luck image
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement guys! Greg M sent me a list of everyone that is alive and also when the others passed away. I know for certain a few key cards would be impossible-Thorpe, Rockne, Kinnick, Henry, Heffelfinger, Coy, Schultz, and Cagle. That leaves 92 possible cards. I know some others would present problems as well, especially getting the four horsemen card signed by Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley, and Layden. If anyone else is interested in working on this, I could post the list Greg M sent me.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    The Autographs seem like a cool ideal, But I personally want my set to be original with no writing etc.. Here are a few more of my most recent pick ups. Im really happy with these EX-MT 6 cards. They are half the price as the higher grade cards and display just as nice to me if you get nicely centered ones.

My plan is to eventually cross my set into SGC Holders I took a chance on some GAI cards as well. They look to be as strong as the PSA cards and the price was right on them.

I have made a deal for a few others including a PSA 6 Four Horseman Card. I will post it when I get it.
    So at this point I will have most of the big name cards in the set. I still need the Thorpe, Hudson, Luckman and Baugh(Although I have a pending deal going foir a Baugh)

Until next time!

John
  • Options
    Well, if you look over the registry from this set, you can see that I had a love for this set as well.

At one point in time I can say I actually held the #1 spot for a short period of time.

Unfortunately, I ended up breaking up my set to buy my first house. So, I think it was a good decision.

It had taken me rough 5 years to put my set together. Quite a bit of the help came from Rick Snyder at Mint State Inc.

If anyone ever wants to chat or discuss the set, and the love of it, please feel free to drop me an email anytime.

Rob Ruth

rruth@comcast.net
  • Options
    Nice cards BigRed! Those are some blazers in 6 holders!
  • Options
    Perkdog, Thanks! Im real happy with them. I only hope they will cross to the SGC holders I want them in.

Rob!! A house? I would live on the street first<G>
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>reese
    i think it would be a great set to get signed. i kno0w there are a couple of the players still alive, dudley, parker and a couple others but it's tough to find them.
    good luck >>

A signed set would be nearly impossible to complete. As a matter of fact, I think that getting to 50% would be a long, expensive task. That probably won't deter me from trying to build an autographed set image

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options

<< <i>If anyone ever wants to chat or discuss the set, and the love of it, please feel free to drop me an email anytime. >>

But that's what this thread is for.

• Options
    The Sammy Baugh Deal fell through. Eyeballing a real nice 7 now.
  • Options
    These arrived at my doorstep the other day. The horseman I seen before dealing for it and I am happy with it.
    The Justice and O'Rourke were part of the same deal and I should have requested scans of them as well. The Justice I can live with on the centering. The O'Rourke is just to off center and I will probably try to move it and get a better centered one.

I did win the PSA 7 Sammy Baugh I spoke of in my previous post, as well as two other nice PSA 7's. I will post those cards when I recieved them.

I now need to focus on the last three Big cards from the set I need. Don Hudson, Jim Thorpe and Sid Luckman.

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Just starting the set, I can't afford it so it will be a long term goal.

• Options

<< <i>image >>

Oh sweet mother of Geshnu and holy father of Jebus.

• Options
    Wow! Nice Hudson Rookie!
    Im looking to find a centered PSA 6,7
  • Options
    i finally got around to scanning some cards. i wish there was a thread like this one when i was putting this set together. i'm itching to put another set together but i traded about almost 40% of the set (my doubles) that i was thiking about completing. but now i have too many irons in the fire and not enough cash. i like seeing your latest pick ups though. i'm always looking to upgrade my set so if anyone has any 7's laying around let me know.

this was my first one bought raw cause he was a golden domer, probably about 15 years ago.

this was my first graded and i was hooked probably about 10 years ago, its just a great looking card, i'm sure the scanner won't do it justice.

these are some of the others, i hope to scan more and add them. bought the berwanger and oliphant raw at the last national in A.C.
    Fred

• Options

<< <i>Thanks for the encouragement guys! Greg M sent me a list of everyone that is alive and also when the others passed away. I know for certain a few key cards would be impossible-Thorpe, Rockne, Kinnick, Henry, Heffelfinger, Coy, Schultz, and Cagle. That leaves 92 possible cards. I know some others would present problems as well, especially getting the four horsemen card signed by Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley, and Layden. If anyone else is interested in working on this, I could post the list Greg M sent me. >>

#46 lassman is also impossible, he drowned in 1929 or 1930 trying to save some kids at summer camp.
  • Options
    My latest pick-ups

I now have 25% of the set and the Thorpe,Hudson and Luickman are the biggest cards I need now.

• Options
    Big Red, very nice Baugh! image
  • Options

<< <i>#46 lassman is also impossible, he drowned in 1929 or 1930 trying to save some kids at summer camp. >>

Ahh, missed that one. Thanks Jim!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    I pulled the trigger on a PSA 8 Sid Luckman. I know.... I know... I promised myself I would not
    get caught up in the higher price higher grades, But the card had the beautiful centering I am always looking for
    and nobody even bid on it. I see alot of PSA 8 commons getting bids upwards of $200. I just couldn't
    pass on it for $229 start bid. SMR is $300. Must have caught the snipers napping. I will post scan when it arrives.

NOW.... The Thorpe and The Hudson Rookie are the last Big cards I need. Then I can relax and start in on the semi-stars and the rest of the commons.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Hello,
    These are all the '55 AA cards I have. Right now I'm collecting the HOF rookies set, but this is a set I would like to collect in the future.

I still need these cards in a PSA 5 or 6 for the HOF set if anyone has doubles from upgrading:

1955 TOPPS ALL AMERICAN FRANK (BRUISER) KINARD #66
    1955 TOPPS ALL AMERICAN WILBUR (FATS) HENRY #100

Picked up the NEVERS last week:

Thanks,
    Tom
  • Options
    This will be in my next sub, should get a 5 or 6 depending on the grader I hope -

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Nice Hutson Jim.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    BigZBigZ Posts: 78
    Does anyone have any idea why the Angelo Bertelli rc's have jumped so high over the last month. A psa 6 went for way over VCP and almost 3 times over SMR which I think is a joke to begin with. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Heisman Collection set singles
    Eddie George PSA rookies