Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Official Basketball HOF Autographs Thread

Comments

• GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    A Willis Reed story. A number of years ago he was appearing at a P C Richards out here in Long Island signing autographs for their opening. I am a big Knick fan and headed over their with a Sports Illustrated that I had for him to sign. The ad in the newspaper stated he would be signing for a couple of hours and I arrived about 35-40 minutes into the scheduled time. The line was very long and extended down the Ave. I waited about an hour and there was about 20 or so people still in front of me outside the store as well as 15 others on a line in the store. About this time a security guy they hired for the event came out and politely told the people directly in front of me that he was sorry but it appeared that Mr Reed was not going to be able to sign for everyone and that he was cutting off the line by us and the 20 or so people behind us. Their wasn't much we could do but I politely asked him if we could stay on the line anyway on the outside chance he would stay and he had no problem with that but told us we probably were wasting our time. Well as we approached the door opening Willis got up from the table and personally walked outside telling everyone left on the line that he wanted to thank everyone for coming and that he would not be leaving until we all came in to meet him. Needless to say I have always admired him as a sports legend in New York but his compassion for the fans showed the true content of his character.

• << <i>A Willis Reed story. A number of years ago he was appearing at a P C Richards out here in Long Island signing autographs for their opening. I am a big Knick fan and headed over their with a Sports Illustrated that I had for him to sign. The ad in the newspaper stated he would be signing for a couple of hours and I arrived about 35-40 minutes into the scheduled time. The line was very long and extended down the Ave. I waited about an hour and there was about 20 or so people still in front of me outside the store as well as 15 others on a line in the store. About this time a security guy they hired for the event came out and politely told the people directly in front of me that he was sorry but it appeared that Mr Reed was not going to be able to sign for everyone and that he was cutting off the line by us and the 20 or so people behind us. Their wasn't much we could do but I politely asked him if we could stay on the line anyway on the outside chance he would stay and he had no problem with that but told us we probably were wasting our time. Well as we approached the door opening Willis got up from the table and personally walked outside telling everyone left on the line that he wanted to thank everyone for coming and that he would not be leaving until we all came in to meet him. Needless to say I have always admired him as a sports legend in New York but his compassion for the fans showed the true content of his character. >>

Nice!!, thanks for sharing image
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    and he at least used to sign through the mail
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
    A interesting point about TTM's which I did heavily in the late 80'-90's. Nowdays with the card companies paying current and former athletes to sign exclusively for them it appears that contractually some of them are limited in what they can sign for the public and that includes cards and other items sent through the mail. I am interested and curious how other members of this thread who may currently be sending out TTM items to Basketball players/Coaches etc are making out. Please opine.
  • airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Good thread and pictures!

~"A interesting point about TTM's which I did heavily in the late 80'-90's. Nowdays with the card companies paying current and former athletes to sign exclusively for them it appears that contractually some of them are limited in what they can sign for the public and that includes cards and other items sent through the mail. I am interested and curious how other members of this thread who may currently be sending out TTM items to Basketball players/Coaches etc are making out. Please opine. "~

Goodlieu - I am running about 40% return rate on my TTM's. Mostly Boston Celtic players but the odd HOFer thrown into the mix.

• bump
    "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21
    This thread is alive again as PSA finally added Jordan,Stockton and David Robinson to the Registry List.
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I have a Drazen Petrovic Skybox RC autographed on the back (for some reason). I loved Drazen as a player. I even played in a local league for a season in which our team name was "Croatia," after the 1992 Olympics.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Great thread! Anybody have any Elgin Baylor autos?
  • How come PSA didn't add Cynthia Cooper to the HOF rookies set?
  • ZBobZBob Posts: 102 ✭✭
    ZBob Is Back I Have Over 30 Baylor Autos He Was Not A Bad Boy Just A Great Player On And Off The Court To Help Make Basketball The Great Sport Of All Time.I Don't Think That He Sighed Alot Of Cards.I Say That Because I Have Most Of HOF Rookie Cards DNA AUTHENTIC Signature Cards And Still Need His Card And The Late Wilt Rookie Auto,Hal Greer,Triple Double Big O ANd Jerry West In The 1961 Series. What Auto Are You Looking For ZBOB
  • Hi Bob, can you give me a list of Baylor autos you have? Love your Naismith and Yeadly autos, they are out of this world!!!
    You Can Find Baylor Auto's In These Auto Sets. 1996 Topps NBA Stars Reprint Auto's. 1999 UD Century Legends Epic Signatures. 1999 UD Legendary Signatures. 2000 Legendary Signatures. 2003 UD Generation Signature Classics. 2005 Topps 52 Style Fan Favorites Auto's. 2006 UD Chronology Decades Auto's

• << <i>You Can Find Baylor Auto's In These Auto Sets. 1996 Topps NBA Stars Reprint Auto's. 1999 UD Century Legends Epic Signatures. 1999 UD Legendary Signatures. 2000 Legendary Signatures. 2003 UD Generation Signature Classics. 2005 Topps 52 Style Fan Favorites Auto's. 2006 UD Chronology Decades Auto's >>

ZBob you have a ridiculously nice collection of HOFer rc auto!!! Did you pick up new stuff lately?

Which ones you are still missing ? I have never seen Wilt auto rc or Maravich auto rc, have you?

<< <i>

<< <i>You Can Find Baylor Auto's In These Auto Sets. 1996 Topps NBA Stars Reprint Auto's. 1999 UD Century Legends Epic Signatures. 1999 UD Legendary Signatures. 2000 Legendary Signatures. 2003 UD Generation Signature Classics. 2005 Topps 52 Style Fan Favorites Auto's. 2006 UD Chronology Decades Auto's >>

ZBob you have a ridiculously nice collection of HOFer rc auto!!! Did you pick up new stuff lately?

Which ones you are still missing ? I have never seen Wilt auto rc or Maravich auto rc, have you? >>

Ive seen a couple of Wilts through the years but Ive never seen a Maravich signed rookie.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I see that he did not say so himself, I just wanted all the good people in this thread to know that EB22 is actually Gio, the twice banned CU member who was banned as SportsItUpCards and as HobbyKings.

Sorry to interrupt your thread, please go back to enjoying the hobby.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>You Can Find Baylor Auto's In These Auto Sets. 1996 Topps NBA Stars Reprint Auto's. 1999 UD Century Legends Epic Signatures. 1999 UD Legendary Signatures. 2000 Legendary Signatures. 2003 UD Generation Signature Classics. 2005 Topps 52 Style Fan Favorites Auto's. 2006 UD Chronology Decades Auto's >>

Which ones you are still missing ? I have never seen Wilt auto rc or Maravich auto rc, have you? >>

Ive seen a couple of Wilts through the years but Ive never seen a Maravich signed rookie. >>

Mr Goodlieu, do you remember what Wilt auto rc went for? just an estimate for its worth, thanks!
  • Quick question, is Sabonis gonna be a HOF? what is his best auto card? thanks!

• << <i>Quick question, is Sabonis gonna be a HOF? what is his best auto card? thanks! >>

Goodlieu, ZBob image ?
  • Anybody have any updates to their collection?

Whats happened to this thread?

I'm waiting on a few cards and will posy once they get in...

• << <i>Anybody have any updates to their collection?

Whats happened to this thread?

I'm waiting on a few cards and will posy once they get in... >>

Hey this must be a record in how many times a person introduces themselves in a thread image
    Are you still doing the top 50 autos/patches?

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Hi Mex! image

I actually collect HOF and Legends patches/jerseys and I do collect autos, but only pick up an Elgin Baylor from time to time.

Are you into patches and jerseys?

• << <i>Hi Mex! image

I actually collect HOF and Legends patches/jerseys and I do collect autos, but only pick up an Elgin Baylor from time to time.

Are you into patches and jerseys? >>

What I would like to get one of these years is a full jersey, but they go for 1000's!!!
    With some of these players like Archibald(one jersey sold for 18k another for 15k), I wonder if the cards with the little pieces go for alot less in total.

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Press Pass Legends
  • Yeah tell me about it, a full jersey is out of the question for me.... Besides, I like a little tease, not the whole thing image

I would love to own an Elgin Baylor jersey one day, maybe when I hit the lotto, but for now, a jersey card gotta do.

Don't you collect the 2001 Legends jerseys? Did you ever complete the set?

• << <i>image >>

very nice goodlieu! that's his UD rc right? I have his Fleer one -

Nice Auto Art.Sabonis Started In 1981 The Euro Card Around That Time Would Be His Rookie Card. Drafted In NBA 1985 Did Not Play In USA Until 1995 Russia Would Not Let That Happen. He Will Go In As International Within Next 5 Years. Google And See GOLD.
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    thought I'd ask the experts on this thread for their opinion. Should I get this card reslabbed by PSA???? or is it not worth the effort?? thanks in advance
    al.

• << <i>thought I'd ask the experts on this thread for their opinion. Should I get this card reslabbed by PSA???? or is it not worth the effort?? thanks in advance
    al.

image >>

I would think if you want to sell it no. I bought one of these for less than $20(I think), If it was in a Psa holder I don't think it would sell above $40,
    the West header version #/2500 probably would be worth the effort.

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Press Pass Legends
    thanks, I'm on the fence on whether I want to keep it or not. I think it would look nicer in the PSA slab.
    al.
  • alnavman,

Nice card, I never seen it before....

I would say its not worth the effort is your going to sell it, but if you plan on keeping it and you like the PSA slab look better, than I would get it slabbed. I have no idea why anybody would slab a card like that from a company like that.

Thanks for sharing!
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just in case my post above was missed, I just wanted all the good people in this thread to know that EB22 is actually Gio, the twice banned CU member who was banned as SportsItUpCards and as HobbyKings.
  • I'll tell you what you have there. You have if memory serves me correctly a card which was inserted into the 1991 Upper Deck inaugural set and was part of the 10 card Jerry West Heroes insert subset. As far as I know it is the #1 autograph released by a major NBA licensed card company.
  • I have a Denny Crum PSA/DNA card. I gotta get it scanned so I can post....

• << <i>I'll tell you what you have there. You have if memory serves me correctly a card which was inserted into the 1991 Upper Deck inaugural set and was part of the 10 card Jerry West Heroes insert subset. As far as I know it is the #1 autograph released by a major NBA licensed card company. >>

I think the #/500 was sold separately.
    The inserted West was

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Press Pass Legends
    thanks everyone for the help, I sent a message to Upper Deck and they verified that the hologram certification number does indeed match a Jerry West. I may get it graded by PSA if they will do it under the current special. al.
  • Check this out!!!

What cha think? image

I love this design image
  • Nice hopefully they are on-card

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Press Pass Legends

• << <i>Nice hopefully they are on-card >>

I know.... That would be a dumb start for the company. I sure would love an on-card auto of Baylor like that!

The companies gotta stop with all these stickers. They might as well make a card that contains a sticker that you can peel and stick it where you want. But to put it on a card and call it "autograph card" it just makes no sense to me. They also need to keep autos limited like they used to, not like that new product where they have like 5,000 autos of each player, can't remember what its called. That new Topps set, the one with the stupid design with those lines going thru the card. Too tired and lazy to go research it right now.
  • Chronology auto pickup...

• WOW ZBOB, your collection is SICK! I just went back to look at all your scans .. you have some massive auto rc!!

My favorite of yours was the Naismith one image

Any latest pickup for you Bob?
  • Anything new EB22?

I got a load of cards out to PSA/DNA which hopefully will pop soon.
  • DrJ any auto rc you have in your PSA/DNA sub?

<< <i>Anything new EB22?

I got a load of cards out to PSA/DNA which hopefully will pop soon. >>

• << <i>DrJ any auto rc you have in your PSA/DNA sub?

<< <i>Anything new EB22?

I got a load of cards out to PSA/DNA which hopefully will pop soon. >>

>>

This last sub was devoid of signed Rookies. I have a Billy Cunningham (tough signer), Barkley (tough signer), Bird (UDA), Frazier and a few other I can't remember right now. I also sent in a handful of baseball autos I had sitting around.
  • My Barkley finally made ti to a slab. Let's just say this card was submitted more than once to PSA/DNA. PM for the full details...

My Billy Cunningham also was authenticated on the first shot. PM me if anyone is interested as I already his signature on a UD card.

• NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Donruss Legends and a few other sets have flooded the market with some of the older, low-demand HOFers. I've now picked up 2 Bobby Wanzers, a Dolph Schayes, and an Elvin Hayes for $4 or less apiece delivered (none slabbed, but all manufacturer-certified). I can't justify ever spending the money to slab these.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.

• << <i>Donruss Legends and a few other sets have flooded the market with some of the older, low-demand HOFers. I've now picked up 2 Bobby Wanzers, a Dolph Schayes, and an Elvin Hayes for $4 or less apiece delivered (none slabbed, but all manufacturer-certified). I can't justify ever spending the money to slab these.

Nick >>

Wanzer even has his nickname image

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Press Pass Legends
  • Dr. J nice Barkley! Did you TTM this ?