Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"I guarantee it is authentic. If it a fake, I will give you double refund of you bid price.&quo

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
Would you buy this "PCGS-Graded" Trade Dollar from this eBay Power Seller???

eBay Link

Comments

• Options
    EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭
    AH, NO
    ED
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Chinese seller eh? image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    PCGS = Professional Chinese Grading Service?
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Boy, hell may be the life of an honest seller in China.
  • Options
    No.
    J.Cordeiro
    "I has a bucket." - Minazo.
    Minazo the LOLRUS, 1994-2005
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the seller listed a USA address, he'd hook a sucker in a heartbeat!
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it a fake, I will give you double refund of you bid price

If it a fake, you outa luck!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    No, but you know China is full of real Trade Dollars, the problem is there's a ton of fakes too.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trade with China should cease until they decide to get legitimate on all fronts. That will be a cold day in hell. They are attacking us economically and technologically - make no mistake about it.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jmski52.... you are correct... and they are winning. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>No, but you know China is full of real Trade Dollars, the problem is there's a ton of fakes too. >>

But this one is in a PCGS slab with a valid cert number and priced at market. Feedback looks real and very reasonable. I'm not saying that I would buy it but I can't find any reason not to other than guilt by association. --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>Trade with China should cease until they decide to get legitimate on all fronts. That will be a cold day in hell. They are attacking us economically and technologically - make no mistake about it. >>

Are you kidding? That is the only thing that keeps the economy from heading into massive inflation. Sad but it seems, the we have let them have the upper hand in that deal. With the world growimg, China can find someone else to unload their durable goods to, I don't think we could do the same.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options

Not a chance,I have bought 2 items from China in the past(not coins) both items had super low s/h and the
    sellers had good feedback,but with everything going on over there I would never buy a coin I do not care what kind of feedback he had lol

<< <i>If the seller listed a USA address, he'd hook a sucker in a heartbeat! >>

I bet he still gets one image
    Ebay Seller I.D
    the_northern_trading_company
    ace@airadv.net
    imageimage
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

I'll bet the thing has lead paint on it and will soon be subject to a recall.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    Looks like he is in no hurry....coin has offers declined from February?
  • Options
    Well even if in a PCGS holder I'd be concerned that it was fake with a valid PCGS number. If I were bidding I'd want to see his paper trail back to PCGS or who/where he purchased it from.
  • Options

<< <i>Would you buy this "PCGS-Graded" Trade Dollar from this eBay Power Seller???

eBay Link >>

Yes, I would buy the coin from this eBay Power Seller if I were in China. But I'm not in China, so I probably won't buy it. But I agree with Jerry. There is nothing inherently wrong with the item or the seller at this point.
  • Options
    It is undoubtedly a stolen picture, and good luck claiming the double your bid refund from China when you receive a worthless pot metal piece of junk.
  • Options

<< <i>It is undoubtedly a stolen picture, and good luck claiming the double your bid refund from China when you receive a worthless pot metal piece of junk. >>

I don't know about that since if you look at some of his auctions of the past from his feedback he's sold holdered coins to US collectors before.
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I can send someone for a local pickup?image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    Funny thing if they're real he'd be better off consigning the coin to a US dealer.
  • Options

<< <i>It is undoubtedly a stolen picture, and good luck claiming the double your bid refund from China when you receive a worthless pot metal piece of junk. >>

You're basing that conclusion solely on his location?
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355

<< <i>Trade with China should cease until they decide to get legitimate on all fronts. That will be a cold day in hell. They are attacking us economically and technologically - make no mistake about it. >>

Don't forget politically. You know Hillary knew all about what Norman Hsu and Charlie Trie were up to. When she's president, then you'll really see what our new Chinese Overlords are all about.

And remember, a vote for Hillary or Ron Paul elects Hillary.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options

<< <i>Don't forget politically. You know Hillary knew all about what Norman Hsu and Charlie Trie were up to. When she's president, then you'll really see what our new Chinese Overlords are all about. >>

Firstly, Ron Paul would make a great President… he’s a real Republican, a Goldwater Republican, not a neo-con.

As for “Don’t forget politically”? Are you kidding me or what? There has been more outsourcing of our jobs to Communist China in the last 12 years than in the history of our country… and what party controlled Congress for the past 12 years?

In the past 12 years China has purchased all our debt! 12 years ago under Bill Clinton we had the largest surpluses in the history of our nation, today… one of the largest deficits in history…. And China has brought it! Although, it would be the largest Deficit if the Neo-Cons didn’t cut billions from Head Start, Medicare, Medicaid, Housing for the Homeless, Student loans, etc etc... basically steal from the poor and give to the rich and outsource our jobs to Communist China.

There’s a reason that every single Democrat incumbent won last year, there’s a reason that every single loss in the House, Senate, and Governorships… every loss was a Republican loosing to a Democrat.

The people are still frustrated that Congress can’t get anything done, with the filibusters in the Senate (Remember the Neo-Con “constitutional option” garbage; you don’t hear that much anymore do you?) but, we will get things done in 2008 for sure. 22 Republican seats are up for re-election in the Senate.

As for the seller… he sounds like his struggling with the fact that he’s from China and having trouble selling items. It sounds like he ‘might’ be one of the honest ones but, and I hate to admit it but... there are so many counterfeits from Communist China, its’ really hard to separate the good sellers from the bad ones.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    It is unbelieveable how much animosity there is here towards the Chinese people...instead of becoming competitive in the economic world, xenophobia rears its head.

Assuming the picture is hijacked, stolen, etc. without the benefit of evidence is absolutely wrong. If you personally feel uncomfortable about bidding on the coin in question then the best thing you can do is to not bid.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    mrmommrmom Posts: 348
    the seller looks legit to me.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't forget politically. You know Hillary knew all about what Norman Hsu and Charlie Trie were up to. When she's president, then you'll really see what our new Chinese Overlords are all about. >>

Firstly, Ron Paul would make a great President… he’s a real Republican, a Goldwater Republican, not a neo-con.

As for “Don’t forget politically”? Are you kidding me or what? There has been more outsourcing of our jobs to Communist China in the last 12 years than in the history of our country… and what party controlled Congress for the past 12 years?

In the past 12 years China has purchased all our debt! 12 years ago under Bill Clinton we had the largest surpluses in the history of our nation, today… one of the largest deficits in history…. And China has brought it! Although, it would be the largest Deficit if the Neo-Cons didn’t cut billions from Head Start, Medicare, Medicaid, Housing for the Homeless, Student loans, etc etc... basically steal from the poor and give to the rich and outsource our jobs to Communist China.

There’s a reason that every single Democrat incumbent won last year, there’s a reason that every single loss in the House, Senate, and Governorships… every loss was a Republican loosing to a Democrat.

The people are still frustrated that Congress can’t get anything done, with the filibusters in the Senate (Remember the Neo-Con “constitutional option” garbage; you don’t hear that much anymore do you?) but, we will get things done in 2008 for sure. 22 Republican seats are up for re-election in the Senate. >>

You went to great lengths to avoid my point about illegal Chinese campaign contributions to Hillary Clinton. Ignoring that renders the rest of your diatribe meaningless.

Oh, and you also avoided addressing this truth:

And remember, a vote for Hillary or Ron Paul elects Hillary.

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options

<< <i>You went to great lengths to avoid my point about illegal Chinese campaign contributions to Hillary Clinton >>

There were no illegal Chinese campaign contributions to Hillary Clinton.

Norman Hsu is Chinese and he dontated money to Hillary.

Norman Hsu has a felony count of grand theft in 1991 that he didn't show up for.

There is no campaign contributions issue with Sen. Clinton, Sen. Clinton gave back $23,000 when she found out that Hsu had a felony count of grand theft... that's all this is.

The whole issue has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with Sen. Clinton getting illegal Chinese campaign contributions... Hsu stole a car and didn't appear for his court date... but, since Hsu gave money to Sen. Clinton and he is Chinese well, give that story to a neo-con and they can just make crap up!

Sen. Clinton did nothing illegal at all... .it's just another Neo-Con spin crap, Drudge makes it up, Fox news repeats it, and you think it's fact... just like WMD in Iraq, it's not true.

BTW: Rudy went overseas to court money... don’t' mention that at all

Money returned
  • Options
    Look, I see all this Ron Paul crappola on here, and realize that like 1992 and Ross P. Rowe, he'll take enough votes from Rudy Guliani for Hillary Clinton to win and become President of the United States Hillary Clinton. Sound good to you? Get used to it then. And the Ron Paul-luddites can take the credit. "It felt good to vote for Ron Paul. And that's all that counts, feeling good. It was bad for the country, but good for me."

• Options

<< <i>take enough votes from Rudy Guliani for Hillary Clinton to win and become President of the United States Hillary Clinton. >>

Just a slight correction…. Ron Paul is running for the Republican Presidential nomination, he’s not running as a third party independent, like Ross Perot did 1992 & 1996 and Ralph Nader did in 2000 & 2004.

If Ron Paul gets the nomination from the Republican Party, he’ll run against the nominee from the Democrats. In that situation, a vote for Ron Paul, is a vote for Ron Paul… not Hillary (persuming Sen. Clinton gets the Democratic node).
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome interest rate

buy $10000
    get $20000 back

better than the stock market
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    CgbCgb Posts: 710
    Cert number checks out.

http://www.pcgs.com/Cert/08524030.html

Either a stolen pic, or simply a fake cert number put into a fake slab.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    The label doesn't look like a PCGS label....
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>take enough votes from Rudy Guliani for Hillary Clinton to win and become President of the United States Hillary Clinton. >>

Just a slight correction…. Ron Paul is running for the Republican Presidential nomination, he’s not running as a third party independent, like Ross Perot did 1992 & 1996 and Ralph Nader did in 2000 & 2004.

If Ron Paul gets the nomination from the Republican Party, he’ll run against the nominee from the Democrats. In that situation, a vote for Ron Paul, is a vote for Ron Paul… not Hillary (persuming Sen. Clinton gets the Democratic node). >>

Sadly Ron Paul's foreign policy position explains why I can't vote for the Libertarians. Neo isolationism is not the answer to our problems or the world’s problems. Iran’s threat to wage nuclear war will not go away because a politician as chosen to ignore the problem.

And no, Barry Goldwater would not have agreed with Ron Paul. His stance on the Vietnam question was to bomb them back to the Stone Age. LBJ used that stance to run as the “peace candidate” in 1964. And we all know what LBJ did with the Vietnam War.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is unbelieveable how much animosity there is here towards the Chinese people...instead of becoming competitive in the economic world, xenophobia rears its head.

Assuming the picture is hijacked, stolen, etc. without the benefit of evidence is absolutely wrong. If you personally feel uncomfortable about bidding on the coin in question then the best thing you can do is to not bid. >>

You all miss the point..just like Mattel..it is not the China people..it is the Communist government system....
  • Options

<< <i>

The people are still frustrated that Congress can’t get anything done, with the filibusters in the Senate (Remember the Neo-Con “constitutional option” garbage; you don’t hear that much anymore do you?) but, we will get things done in 2008 for sure. 22 Republican seats are up for re-election in the Senate.

As for the seller… he sounds like his struggling with the fact that he’s from China and having trouble selling items. It sounds like he ‘might’ be one of the honest ones but, and I hate to admit it but... there are so many counterfeits from Communist China, its’ really hard to separate the good sellers from the bad ones. >>

My Dear Sir Anthony,

Thou sounds a wee bit too liberal for my tastes, me thinks.

I do I agree with your last statement about China.

It's tea time somewhere....ta ta!!

Sir G. Bully

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cert number checks out.

http://www.pcgs.com/Cert/08524030.html

Either a stolen pic, or simply a fake cert number put into a fake slab >>

Or it's for real. I wouldn't gamble on those odds, but the seller might be on the level, who knows. Not everyone in China is crooked.

"Guilt by association" is mighty dang powerful, though. Perhaps the seller has to struggle with this.

The slab looked weird to me, too, at first glance- I thought it was a new-style ANACS until I looked at the label. But I think the photo is just a little distorted.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder where all those nice pictures came from??
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

"It felt good to vote for Ron Paul. And that's all that counts, feeling good. It was bad for the country, but good for me."

A candidate must be good for the country to secure a vote? The current Republikans have serious trouble in that scenario.

You might want a different measuring stick... such as "is great at pretending to be conservative," or "shies away from actually doing anything." Plenty of Republicans would get votes if that were the standard.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I wouldn't simply because I don't buy such coins (if I collected that series in particular now) on eBay unless I know the seller and the images are suitable for assessment. Looking over his offerings, I am inclined to believe he is on the level.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    By all means, liberaltarians, do your jingoistic thing and complain about the Chinese both here in the coin thread, as well as in your inane and innumerable gold bug threads (Help! Help! They're buying all our debt!!!imageOnly gold can save us now!!!) and then elect Hillary "So Hsu Me" Clinton with your wasted, futile vote for Ron "I Am NOT A Loony" Paul, and fail to see the irony. Deep thinking is not the hallmark of the Paul-luddites.

• Options

<< <i>By all means, liberaltarians, do your jingoistic thing and complain about the Chinese both here in the coin thread, as well as in your inane and innumerable gold bug threads (Help! Help! They're buying all our debt!!!imageOnly gold can save us now!!!) and then elect Hillary "So Hsu Me" Clinton with your wasted, futile vote for Ron "I Am NOT A Loony" Paul, and fail to see the irony. Deep thinking is not the hallmark of the Paul-luddites. >>

I think I liked your post! image
  • Options

<< <i>Look, I see all this Ron Paul crappola on here, and realize that like 1992 and Ross P. Rowe, he'll take enough votes from Rudy Guliani for Hillary Clinton to win and become President of the United States Hillary Clinton. Sound good to you? Get used to it then. And the Ron Paul-luddites can take the credit. "It felt good to vote for Ron Paul. And that's all that counts, feeling good. It was bad for the country, but good for me." >>

wow, Ron Paul is Bush's Ralph Nader.
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Its bad enough that my shirts, pants and

underwear come from China. I am not buying

any coins from China. Even if they offer triple

refund of you bid price.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>Its bad enough that my shirts, pants and

underwear come from China. I am not buying

any coins from China. Even if they offer triple

refund of you bid price. >>

Confucius says: "The cautious seldom err."

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Unless you are alleging that the slab is counterfeit - if the price was right - why not? image
  • Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c0c0c0">The powerseller rating was acquired from a string of oriental coins
    at small bucks. Now going bigger bucks with slabbed Trade Dollars.
    Does PCGS grade coins for Chinese dealers?</FONT>

• Options
    The coin and holder look real to me. Although there are a bunch of fakes from China you shouldn't assume that everybody in China is dishonest or is selling fake coins.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    If they copy our coins, why can't they

copy the TPG Salabs?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461

<< <i>The coin and holder look real to me. Although there are a bunch of fakes from China you shouldn't assume that everybody in China is dishonest or is selling fake coins. >>

WHY NOT ???

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file