Home U.S. Coin Forum

David Hall calls today and asks....

UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let's suppose David called you today and appointed you the CEO of the company. What three changes would you make?
I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Comments

• flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    1) Resign.

2)

3)
  • percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    Start grading more collectables. Buy a major auction house. Increase the cost of grading. Oh, and buy back $500 million worth of stock.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

Change the prices of 1881-S Morgans in MS63 to 1 miiiiiiillion dollars (cause I got a lot of these here widgets and just to mess with everybody)

Resign

Give PCGS my bank account # in Switzerland to forward my gazillion retirement dollars.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    #1. a partial refund for no-grade or body bagged coins.
    #2. a lincoln short set in the registry, 1934-1958
    #3. I'd resign as CEO so I could go back to collecting.

-David
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Free submission for all half dimes
    2) Free TrueView for all half dimes
    3) Complimentary half dime upon paying yearly dues for membership
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    1. Grade more international coins.
    2. Cut costs (there is a little fat in all organizations)
    3. Don't water down the brand with marketing ploys.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭
    1. Stop all the "First Day of Issue", "First Strike", etc. stuff.
    2. Take public recommendations for different Registry Sets
    3. ?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He keeps calling. I told him I don't want the job.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Get rid of a bunch of the problem people, and alts, on the forums image
    2. Work on the MS 70 issue with regards to SAEs
    3. Make holder options more available to all submitters, not just bulk/dealer submissions....ie, multiholders, flag holders, etc

Since I'm just a simple collector, those are the changes I would make.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• 1) Dump First Strike
    2) Fire the lousy graders
    3) Hire better ones
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) A-la ICG - if it can be authenticated and assigned a grade - slab it (tokens, varieties, darkside, errors, medals, etc)
    2) Completely different holder for BB/Problem coins - I'm paying for it anyhow. Some will get cracked out, but some won't saving problems down the road
    3) Open submission without being a "Member" of the club.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1) Resign.

2)

3) >>

OMG, I just split my sides. image

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I acting in the best interest of PCGS or the hobby?

Edited to add: It makes a big difference you know...

John
  • CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    Present grading seminars, for a reasonable fee, at major coin shows. Also produce and sell series specific grading videos, complete with both the basics of grading the series in circ and MS and PR grades, plus explanations of why certain “liners” get or do not get to go into the higher grade holder, and of course detection of altered surfaces, AT etc.

CG
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

Honestly, I'd do the following:

1. Stop grading any coin less than 30 years old.

2. Stop grading bullion. They may be beautiful, but they're not coins.

3. Hire more FINALIZERS. The graders are not the problem.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Introduce "Authenticity Only" slabs that are identical to standard slabs, without the grade. No mention of problems, details, etc. Coins valued under $300 slabbed for $5, more valuable coins at $10.

2. Hire a designer to develop safe deposit box-friendly slab albums, as compact as possible.

3. Hire a business development genius to develop relationships with mints around the world, for the purpose of certifying and distributing new issues in the home market and around the world. Grading and encapsulation would likely take place at the mints.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    1. Attribute the Birthmark Die SMS Kennedy.
    2. Recognize the Birthmark Die SMS Kennedy.
    3. Add the Birthmark Die SMS Kennedy as a variety.

Russ, NCNE

• #3 Expand into the International Arms market (getting hotter!)

#2 Buy a 3rd World Countries Mint, produce coins pregraded! Sure, we will mint you a MS64, you want hairlines or bag marks?

#1 Outsource grading to India and move corporate offices to the Cayman Islands.

Brian Kuszmar
    Second Generation Coin, Currency and Precious Metals Dealer

Coin, Currency or Bullion Questions?
    Call anytime 954-493-8811
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1) Resign.

2)

3) >>

Please elaborate. Why should he resign?
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    1. Eliminate the MS70 designation. There is no such thing as manmade perfection. The Olympics were cheapened by handing out "10's" and the same holds true for coins. If you must get close use decimal places to the tenths or hundredths, but there is no such thing as a 70.

"to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd award myself a very big bonus for having positive thoughts about the future of the company.image
    All glory is fleeting.
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1) Resign.

2)

3) >>

What? No other options??

TorinoCobra71

• CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    1. Attribute all known and generally accepted varieties of US coins. That is precisely a service one should expect from a professional TPG.

2. Publish combined totals for grades 68-70 in pop reports and leave the details hidden.

3. Add a service that will independently assess with a tamperproof letter any coin slabbed by NGC, ANACS, ICG, PCI and SEGS (and PCGS, obviously). Could render an opinion on the grade, variety, whatever is pertinent. The letter would be valid as long as the slab is not tampered with. Would not require crossover and would provide something much more meaningful than the brief grade on a tag.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I'd do the following:

Shamika - I guess you're not looking to keep this job for more than a day or so?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1. Attribute the Birthmark Die SMS Kennedy.
    2. Recognize the Birthmark Die SMS Kennedy.
    3. Add the Birthmark Die SMS Kennedy as a variety.

Russ, NCNE >>

Is all about the HairyHeads, aint it Russ?

TorinoCobra71

• I'd award myself a very big bonus for having positive thoughts about the future of the company.

Don't they do that already?
  • homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

Interestingly...as a project...I am talking to all 239 people in our company (it's taking about 2.5 months.)

One question I ask...

If you were CEO of Collectors Universe...what's the first thing you'd do?

• << <i>Interestingly...as a project...I am talking to all 239 people in our company (it's taking about 2.5 months.)

One question I ask...

If you were CEO of Collectors Universe...what's the first thing you'd do? >>

I was going to be a SA and list take stock option, cash stock options, retire again, but this is a great idea. Hope they have some good ideas.

• 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I like these answers

. a partial refund for no-grade or body bagged coins.

Don't water down the brand with marketing ploys

Make holder options more available to all submitters

Hire a designer to develop safe deposit box-friendly slab albums, as compact as possible

Attribute all known and generally accepted varieties of US coins.

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interestingly...as a project...I am talking to all 239 people in our company (it's taking about 2.5 months.)

One question I ask...

If you were CEO of Collectors Universe...what's the first thing you'd do? >>

Give myself a raise and force the granting of a boatload of options through the board image

Seriously, though, I would assign a working committee to explore authentication only certification as an option for all collectables within the CLCT universe.

I would do anything and everything in my power to dispel appearances of favouritism in grading, including for-profit invitationals. While they might enhance brand loyalty, the practice detracts from the certainty of a level playing field, and that all graded coins stands on their own merit.

As CEO of CLCT, any appearance of favouritism towards any submission channel would be cut out like the cancer that it is. Not that it is not already...
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Focus hard on the graders and grading. Make sure who-graded-what-coin is well tracked (hopefully, it already is). Look at feedback in the marketplace (like these boards!) and investigate instances where the grading was clearly improper. Hold the graders more accountable for the grades they assign, and award bonuses for graders who have little or no questionable grades.
    2. Set up some sort of online 'pre-grading', in which, for a (very) small fee, a dealer or collector can submit photos of a coin they are considering having graded and get an opinion of what the grade might be, or if it might be bodybagged (NOT guaranteed, of course). I can already feel some of you shaking your heads and rolling your eyes, but as I've seen in this forum, people are capable of taking some very good photos of their coins, and a lot of forum members have nailed the grade pretty consistently on the 'grade this' threads when the grade is revealed, using those photos. This would (hopefully) help with costs from having coins get bodybagged, or grade lower than expected. If successfully done, the volume of use of this could offset the lower revenue from lost submissions.
    3. Set up an NCS-style restoration and conservation service and instead of returning BB coins, grade and slab them. All of PCGS's competitors slab problem coins, and that is money that is going to them instead of PCGS. (remember, I'm CEO- I have to drive sales!)image

--Christian
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    1.) Offer to slab problem coins with no grade and just a description of the problem. Else a partial refund of the grading fee because it really stinks to get a BB in the mail. (It's also nice to keep coins together. I hate having mostly slabbed coins and then having to find places to keep all of the loose change.)
    2.) Start dipping all silver eagles in Acetone before slabbing. Yeah it's tedious but still much better than customers complaining daily that they have big white spots on their slabbed coins.
    3.) I would have to think to hard to fill this spot.
  • "#1 Outsource grading to India and move corporate offices to the Cayman Islands"

PCGS would be the last company to do it... everyone else already is.

LOL. I laughed, but we should all be cryin'
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭✭
    1. Open an East Coast office. Philadelphia would be an excellent choice.image

THAT'S something you won't hear from the PCGS employees. I know control is an important issue, but it might make sense from a submission, coin show and customer service perspective.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Honestly, I'd do the following:

3. Hire more FINALIZERS. The graders are not the problem. >>

You got to be kidding...It would put all the TPG'S out of business...not enough decent classic stuff still to be graded to stay in business.

1. Stop the b.s. label....."First Strike"
    2. Listen more closely to what the "Modern" coin collector wants.
    3. Stop playing second fiddle to NGC on inovations for new holders.

MONTHLY FREE BEER & BRATWURST ALLOTMENTS TO ALL PAID FORUM MEMBERS.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me add 1 more to the list....

Set up another, side, company for "problem" coins. If a coin doesn't make it into a PCGS holder (scratched, cleaned, AT'ed, etc), then it goes into this other slab, if warranted (ie...not counterfeit) and desired by the submitter.

Don't use the PCGS name with this slab.....make it something else. Many times, people want their coin in a slab and there is value to it, but they can't get it into PCGS (or maybe not even NGC) holders, so it stays raw, goes to ANACS, or goes 3rd world TPGS slabs.

This would answer the people who want problem coins in PCGS slabs and noted as such, to a degree. It would drive more people to paying for PCGS services since a borderline problem coin can still get slabbed, just not in PCGS plastic, and there is no dilution of the PCGS brand by doing such.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1. Open an East Coast office. Philadelphia would be an excellent choice.image

THAT'S something you won't hear from the PCGS employees. I know control is an important issue, but it might make sense from a submission, coin show and customer service perspective.

Joe >>

You gave me an idea, Joe...
    Satellite affiliates image Interesting concept.
    Perhaps purchase an internet television station and teach grading or have live auctions or , or , or ...
  • drkilmerdrkilmer Posts: 166 ✭✭
    1. Dump the special inserts
    2. Simplify the submission forms
    3. ???

• << <i>#3 Expand into the International Arms market (getting hotter!)

#2 Buy a 3rd World Countries Mint, produce coins pregraded! Sure, we will mint you a MS64, you want hairlines or bag marks?

#1 Outsource grading to India and move corporate offices to the Cayman Islands. >>

Ok, so my first answers were a little extreme but not out of the Question. image

Me? Perhaps reduce overhead and operating expenses by relocating the whole enterprise to a central national location, perhaps the Memphis area near Fed Ex & a USPS Hub to reduce transit times.
    Housing and numerous other expenses in general would be far cheaper than California. PCGS would cease to be a west coast grading Company and more of a National Co.
    Have all familiar numismatic invested interests/personalities far removed from the public view and hire pro PR and marketing people to be the face of the Company.
    Marketing has become lame, if not just plain generic. Online presence is not that of what one would expect from a premier grading service.

Becoming complacent in ones mkt place is dangerous and causes laziness, not looking outside your sphere and at the big picture can also cost money.
    Anyways It seems so simple from the outside yet sometimes it's hard to remember your objective is to drain the swamp when your waist deep in Alligators.
    So many things, so little time or motivation...heh

Regards to all

Brian Kuszmar
    Second Generation Coin, Currency and Precious Metals Dealer

Coin, Currency or Bullion Questions?
    Call anytime 954-493-8811
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) I would admit that as much business savvy as I have, I don’t have all the skills necessary to be the CEO of CU … but I could try

2) I would charter a jet to Hawaii … we need shirts image … and pack the golf clubs

3) On the course, in private, we would discuss the best way to crash the Classics market temporarily, and use all of CU’s cash (do we have enough), and all we can garner from our top-secret friends and partners to buy up everything we could, which we would then pay out to ourselves in bonus money, or buy back from ourselves in a private take-over.

After all, I am in this as a collector image

Seriously though, not that these ideas are any better;

1) I would change the holder back to a two-piece. The first piece being relatively small (2.5*2.5”?), inert, as air-tight, optical and indestructible as possible, with design to view from all three sides. This would be the authentication portion of the holder, and would provide no grade. It would have two different looks; one for cleaned, damaged or otherwise messed with coins, one for generally “problem-free” coins.

The second piece would then be installed around the first, and would state the technical grade, if desired.

Submitters could ask for “authentication only”, where as they would get back the coin in the smaller slab, with it’s marking or coding for problem or problem free, or “Authenticate and Grade”.

If the grade wasn’t what you wanted, you could crack the first part and resubmit without affecting the coin itself. These smaller modules could also be used to create multi-holders, or could be used to preserve coins without the grade stigma.

2) I would try to have any coin ever minted available for grading and authentication. This would require finding more graders and authenticators, and finalizers too. It would probably also require a different type of holder for certain coins, which could be tricky.

3) Through my team of finalizers, I would try to reverse the course of market grading. Before the wealth of information the world has created, market grading made more sense. Frankly, today it does not (IMO). In circulated coins, grade by wear … the same for the most common as the most rare. In Unc’s and Proofs, the same for the best in terms of strike, luster, marks, etc., and the same for the worst. Let the market Price the coins, I would keep CU’s purpose and guarantee in Grading the coins.

3a) Humbly accept my dismissal as CEO image

too much time today image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    I think Shamika summed it up for me:

3. Hire more FINALIZERS. The graders are not the problem.

• << <i>1. Get rid of a bunch of the problem people, and alts, on the forums image
    3. Make holder options more available to all submitters, not just bulk/dealer submissions....ie, multiholders, flag holders, etc

Since I'm just a simple collector, those are the changes I would make. >>

I'd have Bochiman thrown off the forums until his paranoia and rudeness clear up with the use of meds. How about a poll?? LMAO
  • in all seriousness, I'd drop the First Strike label.
  • dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>1. Get rid of a bunch of the problem people, and alts, on the forums image

I'd have Bochiman thrown off the forums until his paranoia and rudeness clear up with the use of meds. How about a poll?? LMAO >>

Make sure to include your own name in that thread, you'd probably surprise yourself.
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    1. I'd introduce a new-look PCGS label (ivory with maroon ink), in hopes of spurring a signficant increase in resubmissions.

2. I'd aggressively look at growing our international presence.

3. I'd start slabbing medals and tokens.

4. (Extra credit) I'd seriously consider eliminating cross-over submissions of any kind. You want your coin in PC plastic? Send it in raw.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>1. Get rid of a bunch of the problem people, and alts, on the forums image

I'd have Bochiman thrown off the forums until his paranoia and rudeness clear up with the use of meds. How about a poll?? LMAO >>

Make sure to include your own name in that thread, you'd probably surprise yourself. >>

If I wanted any crap out of you, I'd squeeze your face.
  • Expand customer service. They are the frontline with the general public and play a critical part in customer retention and loyalty to the brand. It has been my personal experience that they can be overwhelmed at times, and on occasions can give different answers to the same question. In many cases, customer service is the only contact the average person has with CU, and the longevity of their business relationship can be made or broken right there. A public company is about recurring revenue generation, and I would rather have a customer spend $100 a month with me than a one shot deal for substantially more.

Pay more attention to what the little guy has to say. He is the backbone of the hobby and is a source of wisdom and ideas that can often be capitalized into revenue producing collector friendly vehicles for the company. Avoid the bigshot quickbuck artists and their schemes who will be gone as soon as the market turns. Joe Average collector will still be there. Without him, we might as well pack up shop, melt the precious metal coins and spend the rest.

Use more common sense and be more proactive when issuing submission directives for newer mint issued material. Half the time, they are to little and too late (ie. the 20th anniv set directive which was issued after I had received my personal sets and ripped them open.....sour grapes on my part? You bet!) and don't change the directives after the fact, ie. box submissions of Presidential dollars. It's a huge market and it's slipping away IMHO.

Make PCGS exciting!

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>Pigpen, the only point is on your head. Go cry on the Refuge for some help. Maybe TDN and TherapyWill can help you. >>

I see. You're one of those people.
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd pass on the job offer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file