Options

David Hall calls today and asks....

13»

Comments

• Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    As pertaining to coins:
    1...Allow NGC graded coins and Authentic coins into the Registry

2...Ending of the First Strike™ label......completely...!!..

3..As PCGS is a grading co. and relies on it's expertise and standards it would not be improbable,although I do not know if it's unethical,but PCGS buy back some of it's graded coins at a fair market price.Then in turn sell or auction on the open market in stores or public venues......eg.........The PCGS Coin Store.........!!!!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Being the market leader (as PCGS is), I would look to the future... before my competitors (known or unknown) take the lead. Invest in computer grading and corner the market with the final arbiter. Yes, it does take investment - that is what an R&D budget is for... It will become reality - it all depends on who will be first. The technology exists.. it will take programming and standards. For grading, this is the final frontier. Cheers, RickO >>

One of the grading factors is "eye appeal". How do you program a computer to measure "eye appeal"? It can't be done. >>

You don't. You have a human eyeball the coin after the computerized grading process in order to adjust for eye appeal, or lack thereof. In a perfect world, eye appeal would have no bearing on a coin's grade.

Bob
  • Options
    I would add a checkbox to the admission form that requests pcgs to revalue the coins for shipping insurance AFTER they have been graded, (since the grading process is actually a re- appraisal of their value...)so I dont have to guess what their value is before they have been graded. I would establish a pricelist for grading coins that is not dependant on the guestimated value of the coin before grading...but rather based on the level of expertise required to grade the coin....(for example: lincoln cents - $10, silver morgan vams - $50, etc).

I would attempt to negotiate an agreement with CAC and NGC for cross grading as a value added service, and introduce a slab with a computer chip and a LCD display that could store and display all pertinant data for the coin in the slab. Each slab would have all 3 grades (aka. opinions) stored on the chip with notes. This would reduce the number of regrades and increase submissions due to reliability, as well as increase the accuracy of the population numbers. The price of the slab would be prohibitive to crackout artists, as well as leave them no one to send it to, since everyone with a valued opinion would have graded it alreadyimage

I would branch the PCGS franchise out in every country with a mint that produces bullion coins...and repeat the process that has made PCGS the national leader in TPG's.

(I also like many of the ideas proposed above...no need to repeat them.)

Stephen

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to change my phone number image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invest more into the Gem Certification and Assurance Lab sector (GCAL) of Collectors Universe as that is where the biggest potential of CLCT lies.

Lets face it, PCGS is within a hobby/business that is basically quite mature except for new issues from the various government mints.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Hmmm ...

As President/CEO of a publically traded company ...

1) Tighten grading by a point or so on most coins to encourage crackout/resubmission game ... more submissions = more profit.
    2) Bodybag more coins for fugly (dark/black) toning, nasty copper spots on gold, and downright odd toning on copper.
    3) Expand merchandising of various products and services to beat competitors to the puch.
    4) Increase fees more frequently for CU memberships & submissions to increase revenue.
    5) Obtain sole rights to current slabbing patents and increase the licensing fees to other grading companies.

As benevolant President/CEO of a respected company ...

1) Get graders who can accurately grade and attribute all world and ancient coins, tokens, errors, medals, and varieties.
    2) Offer the option of a different holder for BB/Problem coins for those who want the coins authenticated, and a partial refund of service fees for those who don't choose to have the coins slabbed reguardless.
    3) Open submission without being a "Member" of the club.
    4) Take into consideration public recommendations for different Registry Sets without actuallywaiting a decade or longer before implementing reasonable changes.
    5) Quit changing coin numbers on a whim thereby throwing off Registry Sets and quit giving the same coins two or more coin numbers.
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

I love this thread and we appreciate all suggestions!!!!!!!

Please add your two cents...and we'll answer the suggestions in a later thread.

Here's one answer now.

Suggestion: Partial refund on body bags.

Our comments: We don't want to do anything that would even partially encourage coin doctoring, so we don't wwant to refund on body bags.

But some of your suggestions we will definitely impliment. Please keep the suggestions coming.

David

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love that idea of invisibly tagging coins prior to slabbing so that when they're sent back for re-grading, the pop reports don't get all screwed up.

Of course, the pop reports are already all screwed up, so I suppose it couldn't correct years of bad reports.....
  • Options
    Better watch out HRH we all seem to be lusting after your job.image
  • Options
    OH yeah HRH, I forgot to add that when you buy that G-IV, PM me lol.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SHtt can them both for failing to listen to the collectors and their request (that NGC has now completed) to list Satins and Business Strike coins separately in sets. The no comment, lack of response either verbal or in writing and the last noted comment from Hall in Jan of 06 is the worst public relations that has fallen the company since its inception , thus they deserve to be terminated immediately.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Boy, am I gonna get it on this one.

We don't want to do anything that would even partially encourage coin doctoring....

Don't you think the Low-Ball set partially encourage coin doctoring?
    Maybe we have a difference of opinion of what that is.
    But I see 'doctored' as taking a coin that has been purposely altered.
    Pocket pieces are worn down intentionally, and so, doctored.

But I can be swayed, just what is the definition of 'doctored' as it relates to coins?
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________
    If not a partial refund on BB coins, why not slab it as authentic/counterfeit & (cleaned/altered surfaces/scratched, etc)?
    Maybe a net grade, but not necessary.
    I am just of the opinion that with the cost being the same for graded & BB coins, the service (slabbing) should also be the same.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Oh, another change I would make is to offer the bulk rate for 100 or more coins of the same series, not just 4 dates.
    OK, so that a little self serving, but I have a few 100's of a couple of series.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    Lastly, if I was CEO, I would retire with a HUGE severance package like all the other CEO's I've worked for.
  • Options
    Mr. Hall -- What is the difference between you selling PCGS slabs and Pete Rose
    betting on games he was playing or coaching???

Big Steve
    Collecting XF+ toned Barber dimes
  • Options
    Here's one answer now.

Our comments: We don't want to do anything that would even partially encourage coin doctoring, so we don't want to refund on body bags.

I really didn't expect this one to be taken seriously, but not for the reason given. Since PCGS is part of a publically traded company, of course they wouldn't want to give credit for body bagged coins because it would reflect negatively on the balance sheet which would make stockholders very unhappy.

One of the major reasons ICG continues to get the bulk of my business at present and will continue for the forseeable future. Along with faster turnaround times, equally accurate grading on classic world coins, faster shipping, and better customer service ... based upon my own personal experience of course.
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Mr. Hall -- What is the difference between you selling PCGS slabs and Pete Rose betting on games he was playing or coaching???

Don't know if HRH will reply or not, but I would equate it to Marge Schott, knowing she would be sued, disgraced, and banned if caught betting on games.
    NOT WORTH IT.

I am sure Mr. Hall has a very extensive paper trail on the coins he purchases, maybe more than other dealers, just because there will aways be questions like this raised.

Now how about more IDEA'S?
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I love this thread and we appreciate all suggestions!!!!!!!

Please add your two cents...and we'll answer the suggestions in a later thread.

Here's one answer now.

Our comments: We don't want to do anything that would even partially encourage coin doctoring, so we don't wwant to refund on body bags.

But some of your suggestions we will definitely impliment. Please keep the suggestions coming.

David >>

Not to mention it would hurt your profit margin.....

TC71
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he called me, I'd say :
    David, there is a real financial guru looking for quality companies to buy. He might even like to buy you out. He has diamonds, railroads, restaurants and in 100 yrs they'll still be talking about him more than they talk about the "witch of wall street".
    He lives down the street and if I have my people get hold of his people and he makes a purchase, would grading standards change ?

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    1. I would tool up so that larger coins (large world coins, Libertas Americana medals, etc.) could be encapsulated in the (exising but seldom used), large sized PCGS holders, much the way NGC does with their large holders.

2. I would open a grading division in Europe to grade world coins exclusively (not US coins), thus greatly broadening PCGS's market presence there.

3. I would grade problem coins in (different) problem slabs.

4. I would "spot check" a sample of coins leaving the facility each day agains the PCGS grading sets, to insure that grading standards do not slip. This could be designed to be statistically valid test procedure, as is often done in industry today.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    FAQ around submissions. Alot of newer members ask theses questions "Alot" and would be very helpful.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Say specifically why the coin got BB'd. That would help the submitters and allow them to learn something from a BB.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options

<< <i>1) Resign.

2)

3) >>

Humblepie

I have found power in the mysteries of thought.

It is always a question of knowing and seeing, and not that of believing.

Our virtues, and our failings are inseparable, like force, and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    It's RYK's thread for 2008, this one's from 2007.
    Paul
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    << 1) Resign.

2)

3) >>

Whatever happened to flaminio??
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    Longest post evvveeerrr...
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    It's now done! Say hi to your new President.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mr. Hall -- What is the difference between you selling PCGS slabs and Pete Rose
    betting on games he was playing or coaching???

Big Steve >>

I dont think selling the slabs would be the issue, sending them in for grading and graders knowing who sent (or walked) them in would be an issue.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    These are my suggestions:

1. Redesign the slab inserts or offer various attractive slab insert designs at a small fee to collectors and dealers equally instead of only allowing dealers to purchase them. First Strike inserts are attractive to people because they are colorful and pretty. Other designs would attract collectors as well and increase revenues. For example, I would like to have a faded image of "Liberty" as part of my slab inserts for my Platinum Proof Eagle set. Others would probably enjoy having an image of "Seated Liberty" or "Walking Liberty" instead.

2. Improved customer support would be greatly appreciated. Often times a call to customer support puts the customer right back where he or she started. I have personally called customer support three times on an issue and have received three completely different answers in the past.

3. Speed up the grading process for world coins.

4. Grading Consistency is a good point that many have brought up.

5. Continue doing a great job. PCGS is number 1 for a reason. Please keep that way. And, please don't take away the privilege to submit (whether is bulk, express or any other way) to collectors as we are an integral part of coin collecting too.

Thank you!

Edited to correct spelling errors.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file