Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First Spouse Pricing Announced! Who is going to bite?

Comments

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are not tied to any currency issues, and are not even bullion though struck on half oz. blanks.

In a sense, they are "tied" to the corresponding Presidential dollars. This should provide them with some ongoing attention as the Presidential series continues to grow.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭
    I certainly enjoyed reading the various opinions here. I am still undecided as to whether to order or not. My finances dictate the unc set but I am ok with that. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insights. It has helped me to look at this with several new viewpoints.
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    the spouse uncircs are also b]24 karat

has anyone mentioned that b4 out of all the posts??? I'm not smart enought to waddle through the search engine, here.

so they are a deal, IMHO

• Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    they are both 24k, its just hard to decide which ones will have the most profit potential. For my own collecting interests, I want a set of the Proofs cause they's purty.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>they are both 24k, its just hard to decide which ones will have the most profit potential. For my own collecting interests, I want a set of the Proofs cause they's purty. >>

"I'm in" for one of each (probably will regret it)....My impulse buying got the best of me. image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>they are both 24k, its just hard to decide which ones will have the most profit potential. For my own collecting interests, I want a set of the Proofs cause they's purty. >>

"I'm in" for one of each (probably will regret it)....My impulse buying got the best of me. image >>

Yep, same here!
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

"I'm in" for one of each (probably will regret it)....My impulse buying got the best of me. image >>

How will you regret it if you like them? At that point who cares about profit potential. The plus side is it is 24K gold and will never lose the majority of its value. You could have bought stock in a company Enron and lost everything.

Enjoy life and buy what you like, that said I am in it as well and have filled out my subscription to get the free collectors case.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I wont quibble, I do not intend to nibble.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

How will you regret it if you like them? At that point who cares about profit potential. The plus side is it is 24K gold and will never lose the majority of its value. You could have bought stock in a company Enron and lost everything.

Enjoy life and buy what you like, that said I am in it as well and have filled out my subscription to get the free collectors case. >>

Yep, that's right. If these came out 10 years ago you'd have done well just because the price of gold has doubled.

Same with the Platinums. It would have been nice collecting that series from the beginning. You would have done well just on the spot price of Platinum.

Some things are buy and hold, some things are flipped. What these are remains to be seen.

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Only 220, there has to be some life left in this thread
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The profit maker for the set (other than the obvious later very low mintage coins) may be for those who have the Mint issue special box to house the set.

From what I can tell from the posted comments from the Mint... it sounds like the special box will only be offered to the subscribers. At this time, it does not sound like a box will be available for the uncs, neither does it appear that a box will be offered to be purchased later. So, even if singles are offered later, there may be a very limited number of the boxes out there. (they are going to be shipped later... after they know how many they have to have manufactured).

With few boxes available, it the series gets 'hot' after the first year or two... those that have the original sets with custom box will be calling the shots... there will not be enough boxes to go around.

Those that take a wait and see stance may just lose out on the best opportunity!
    ----- kj
  • Options
    come 'on, the box? I stayed on board with buying the holder for some of these issues, but I just cant buy because of the box....!!

• Options
    The box should not be the reason for one to purchase these coins.

But... just saying, that it could become very desirable in the future. The items that appreciate the most from the US Mint are those that catch everyone by surprise, or who aren't paying attention until it is too late. Just saying, that it may be the only ones to get the box may be the subscribers during the first year.

As always, trying to predict what the US Mint will do is futile. They will always do opposite what you would think.....
    ----- kj
  • Options
    mrmommrmom Posts: 348
    The box was one of the reasons that I subcribed the sets.

It is only available to subscribers if I read it correctly.

If the series gets heated up later, this box can be a sought after commodity.

• Options

<< <i>The box was one of the reasons that I subcribed the sets.

It is only available to subscribers if I read it correctly.

If the series gets heated up later, this box can be a sought after commodity. >>

That's what I'm thinking. When the series are all over with.... I'll bet there are not too many full sets with the original issue box....
    ----- kj
  • Options
    I'm only kidding guys, I like the box too. its an added bene ......

• Options
    mrmommrmom Posts: 348
    frankly, I won't be surprised if good portion of 40,000 is sold through subscription, leaving few for online, telephone orders.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe if you cancel your subscription, the Mint Police come out to your house and confiscate the box.......
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Seeing as how the boxes will be made in China - I would bet "counterfeit" boxes will pop up on eBay very soon. image
  • Options
    I think it is noteworthy that the sets will ship in mid-June, meaning the return period will expire in mid-July, and the boxes will ship sometime in August. ergo, returns equal no box

FloridaBill
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    So do subscribers get the regular box and the special larger box?. Or do the coins come in some other cheaper version since you will get the bigger box? Be nice to have both the boxes if you subscribe?. I subscribed for both the unc and proof vers and hopefully will be in for the entire run. I am not a collector of gold except when it comes to commemoratives and these come close enough.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect to get two boxes. The smaller one will sit in the safety deposit box with the coins. The larger one will go into storage until I forget where I put it........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I think these will sell out due to the fact that the 20th Anniversary Silver Eagles brought a lot of people into coin collecting (either for collecting or flipping). If the mint doesn't issue singles, the flippers will have a ready customer base for single coins judging by the comments in this thread and collectors will have the ability to pick and choose a particular coin they want from the flippers. If they sell out and enough collectors want particular coins, the price may rise. The only drawback is the price, it's a little steep for most people especially to speculate with but only time will tell!
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
  • Options
    ill buy when Bill Clinton is on one of these. it will mean hell froze over..
  • Options
    i got a set of each,plan on keeping.see what happens when it's over $$$$.9999 gold got me to buy.
  • Options
    CoinMaster1229CoinMaster1229 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭
    40,000 sets between proof & Uncirculated versions. The Proof version gets you a bonus Box. the way last years platinum boxes sold, the box could sell for more than its contents. image Just Kidding!!!!

Also, however the first year mintages end up being split between proof & Unc., It is likely the mintage split will stay some what the same thoughout the program. If In future years, mintages stay at 40,000 (year after year). Those owning the subscriptions are all locked in thoughout the series. If these sets are a hit !!! Cha-Ching.

Count me in for the max 5 & 5. image
  • Options
    If i'm not mistaken, you can buy 10 and 10. Proof and Unc.
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭
    I asked this earlier, and didn't get a response, so I'll ask again. Has anyone called/contacted the Mint to see if the series box will be available for the Unc's? The price between the Proofs and the Unc's isn't that great to stiff one group of collectors over the other. If nothing else, they should offer the box to Unc subscribers at addtional cost. If the proofs fit, the Unc's would too.
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    just buy one proof set and sell off the set, keep the box

then you have a nice box for your unc's
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Ok, so what's the deal with the order status for subscriptions? A few orders say In stock and reserved, some say in process and others say Your order has been shipped?
  • Options
    I think my order for a subscription to both the First Spouse proofs and BUs is not working right. When I hit 'suscribe' the form came up, but without a price. I thought that was odd, since a price for the first set had been announced, but knowing they also said that the prices would be announced before each set, thought maybe that was OK, and I would be billed when shipped. Checking my orders the next day (last Thursday), it said that the orders had shipped-but still had all zeros for cost. It also said there was no info on the tracking of the shipment. This is a bad sign, as my order for 2006w platinums went through this sequence and were then cancelled. I am going to call Monday, but was just wondering what had happened to other folks.
    Xokie
  • Options
    when first ordering, the subscription process says In Stock and Reserved, and order status goes to "In Progress"; shortly afterwards when you check your order, The status says "Shipped". Of course, they are not shipped, only accepted.

Sometimes, subcriptions go right to "Shipped" and bypass "In Progress".

Cant figure that one out yet.
  • Options
    To clear things up. The subscription itself is an order which cost $0. To order the subscription you go through the same process as if you were ordering and item. Once your subscription has been approved the subscription will say shipped.

Now it just means you are setup to receive your new coins for the subscription when the coins are available. You will get a new order number when the coins are available and this time it will say a much bigger number than $0.
  • Options
    Ugg.. why is the mint torturing me. I can't afford all these coins! But I envision the day (10 years from now) when I have a box full of gold! How fun would that be. I mean we are talking about 20 ounces of gold here. How fun would that be to have and hold for my lifetime?

But then again, I am into the AGE Uncircs, ASE, and am definately getting the plats anniversary set. So jeez. I need to make more money. I need to make an extra 10k just to set aside for next years issues!

Swest
  • Options
    Question:

For those guys getting multiple sets. What impact does the multi-year subscription box have on your grading aspirations? I feel silly getting a box for the coins if I am going to have a graded set.

Swest
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are MEDALS! The lack of encapsulation should be no problem as future sales will only require a scale.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ugg.. why is the mint torturing me. I can't afford all these coins! But I envision the day (10 years from now) when I have a box full of gold! How fun would that be. I mean we are talking about 20 ounces of gold here. How fun would that be to have and hold for my lifetime?

But then again, I am into the AGE Uncircs, ASE, and am definately getting the plats anniversary set. So jeez. I need to make more money. I need to make an extra 10k just to set aside for next years issues!

Swest >>

Gees .. I b spending at least $31K+ over the next 10 years for the "Old Hags" ... I must be loosing my mind. I can alway claim...Alzheimers coin syndrome when they come to take me away...image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    I don't have any medals that say $10 on them. They are bullion coins, like the silve or gold eagles, but they are coins. The neat thing (maybe) about the subscription is that it is the exact equivalent of buying season tickets. If I understand it correctly, the mintage for each first spouse coin is, at least at the moment, supposedly limited to 10,000. Maybe this is 10,000 for the proof only, or maybe it is 10,000 for proof and unc. This is consistent with the 40,000 for the first four proofs, anyway. If there are 8 or 9 or 10 thousand subscriptions, then there will be few or no available for the rest of the market. This should have a very nice effect on the price.
    Xokie
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

My take is that there will be 40,000 sets.. The Mint website says, "Each First Spouse Coin is limited to 40,000 coins across all product options."

I think these are close to bullion coins but don't quite qualify. They're initially available only from the Mint, they're priced a bit higher than equivalent gold eagles, there are specific order limits, and each coin has a specific issue limit.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I am wondering about the billing. Do you think the whole amount will be billed at once,, as in all four coins ship together? Or will they break it down per coin when issued?

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    Ok, I just signed up for 2 of each. Now I have to find a way to make the money before I have to pay it. By doing this, I plan to get 1 set each graded by PCGS or NGC (depending on stipulations). If PCGS handles it like the $1 coin covers, I am NGC all the way.

Then I can decide if I help pay off one set by selling another. Although I really hate the idea of breaking up a set like this. These coins really do belong together!

Swest
  • Options

<< <i> If PCGS handles it like the $1 coin covers, I am NGC all the way. >>

These are coins not envelopes. image
  • Options
    uh huh...so are the coins IN the coin covers image.

Swest
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    I really don't see much of a future for this.

• Options

<< <i>I really don't see much of a future for this. >>

Come back and say that when a PCGS PR70DCAM or PCGS MS70 Liberty ( Jefferson ) goes up for auction
  • Options

<< <i>I am wondering about the billing. Do you think the whole amount will be billed at once,, as in all four coins ship together? Or will they break it down per coin when issued? >>

All four coins will be shipped together in a really nice box.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stand corrected on the "medal" belief.

Didn't know they WERE coins.

• Options

<< <i>I asked this earlier, and didn't get a response, so I'll ask again. Has anyone called/contacted the Mint to see if the series box will be available for the Unc's? The price between the Proofs and the Unc's isn't that great to stiff one group of collectors over the other. If nothing else, they should offer the box to Unc subscribers at addtional cost. If the proofs fit, the Unc's would too. >>

1-800-USA-MINT

let us know what they say
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file