Home U.S. Coin Forum

First Spouse Pricing Announced! Who is going to bite?

Comments

• LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to see the set sold individually. It would be better for the overall after market. People could get a Jefferson that they want without having to get the others. And the ugly ones will become the keys.

-David
  • Forget it. I wouldn't consider it.
  • At least we know the Mint will be making money on these coins.

...and the dealers will make a few bucks on them.
    ...and the slabbers will be making money on them.
    ...and the Home Shopping Network will be making money on them.

...and a few people on eBay will flip them over and over and over again as the hype slowly drives up the price.

...and my brother-in-law with more money than sense will by them. (He's the one who thinks a modern gold bullion coin is prettier than any old half eagle made way back in the 1820's.)

Predictions on the "Spouse coins'" future value?

...after the bubble full of hot marketing air bursts, they will just be bullion.

I keep remembering the hype over the P-Mint Pennsylvania State Quarters back in early 1999. Remember, you couldn't buy a BU bank roll for less than $60. What are they worth today?

...and look how valuable my two hundred year anniversary 1976 Proof Set is after waiting 31 years.

I would rather spend my money on dirty old coins and/or the race track.

• << <i>At least we know the Mint will be making money on these coins.

...and a few people on eBay will flip them over and over and over again as the hype slowly drives up the price.

...and my brother-in-law with more money than sense will by them. (He's the one who thinks a modern gold bullion coin is prettier than any old half eagle made way back in the 1820's.)

...after the bubble full of hot marketing air bursts, they will just be bullion.

I keep remembering the hype over the P-Mint Pennsylvania State Quarters back in early 1999. Remember, you couldn't buy a BU bank roll for less than $60. What are they worth today?

...and look how valuable my two hundred year anniversary 1976 Proof Set is after waiting 31 years.

I would rather spend my money on dirty old coins and/or the race track. >>

You will fit in to this Forum with ease..........Keep up the Morgan ( 2007 GW ) collecting.......Hope is with you !
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Gee, If you can get all of these coins graded 70 First Strike,

you might make a few buck per coin.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

• << <i>Gee, If you can get all of these coins graded 70 First Strike,

you might make a few buck per coin.image >>

WISE OLE BEAR
  • Persaus...

...personally I won't buy any coin minted after 1836.

I have set standards for my collection.

I like the old, but ugly coins. (the play on words [take out the comma] is intended)

...but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

And it was fun to state my opinon(s) on the "Spouse coins."

It sure beats watching TV.

Regards,

edmerlr
  • <Can anyone verify that the mint is NOT going to sell these individually?>

I think I can verify that the Mint IS going to sell the proof versions individually.

1. They say they are in the 2007 Product Listing page:

May/June Presidential Spouse Gold Proof Coin

2. If you subscribe to 2007 to the coin set, you will get a collectors case that seems to be made to store the proofs as they come out.

So the question is, how many of the individual proofs will they make? Looks like the uncirculated set may be the better bet, if you're betting.

• << <i>At least we know the Mint will be making money on these coins.

I would rather spend my money on dirty old coins and/or the race track. >>

You really feel so strongly about this issue? People want to pick up a new set of gold coins at 15-25% over spot; why should you care?

• GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Most modern gold commemoratives sell at melt or below. Why should these be different? image
    USAF vet 1951-59

• << <i>Wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Most modern gold commemoratives sell at melt or below. Why should these be different? >>

In all honesty there never has been a series like this.. over a pound of gold when completed.

"I am sorry you are unhappy with the care you recieved, is their anything I can do for you right now, how about some high speed lead therapy?" - A qoute from my wife's nursing forum

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." – Thomas Jefferson
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why should these be different? image >>

Because of this and the others like it to follow...

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a lot of subscriptions are reserved, there won't be very many (if any) individual coins available except in the aftermarket.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Is the subscription price firm? Or is it subject to change?

If it is firm, it's a free call on Gold, regardless of the rarity value...

FloridaBill

• Pentimento

You ask: "Why should I care if people want to pick up a few coins at 15 to 20% over spot?"

I believed this Thread asked for my opinion/ feelings. I gave it/them. Was I incorrect by voicing my opinion?

Opinions/feelings have no postive or negative value. They simply exist as opinions and/or feelings.

The spouse coins are not for me.

People are free to do what they please. If buying spouse coins makes them happy, then let them buy them.

Bottom Line: To me, it is silly. To them, it is a deal. If they're happy, I'm happy.

...and if a few middle men/companies can make a buck on the spouse coins and keep their employees employed, great.
  • I'm a little confused. Does the 40,000 limit mean 40,000 sets or 10,000 of each spouse coin? If its 10,000 of each coin(unc and proof) this seems like a low mintage to me. any thoughts or clarification? Thanks
    "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."
    - Jimi Hendrix

• << <i>Wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Most modern gold commemoratives sell at melt or below. Why should these be different? image >>

- Jimi Hendrix

• << <i>Wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Most modern gold commemoratives sell at melt or below. Why should these be different? image >>

The key here is the word most ----some sell for way over melt----1995 civil war unc, 1996 smithsonian unc, 1997 jackie robinson unc, 2001 capital visitor center unc......do you see a pattern here? The trick is to get the keys....
    - Jimi Hendrix
  • RarityRarity Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm a little confused. Does the 40,000 limit mean 40,000 sets or 10,000 of each spouse coin? If its 10,000 of each coin(unc and proof) this seems like a low mintage to me. any thoughts or clarification? Thanks >>

It sounds like 10,000 per coin type and a maximum of 40,000 4-coin set.

But the Mint probably (or surely?) will offer them in single coin option

"Each First Spouse Coin is limited to 40,000 coins across all product options."

Sounds to me like a limit of 40,000 of each design type, including those in sets and those sold individually.

But, I could be wrong.

• anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    40K Each First Spouse Coin is limited to 40,000 coins across all product options.

I would think that they would sell singles too, as the sets are out of most folks budgets. And if so then some singles would sell out more quickly.
    If only sold in sets then some "year" sets could have VERY low mintages. Would be interesting to see the results 12-15 years from now.

Edited for grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

Mike
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    Yeah... No.

<< <i>Wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Most modern gold commemoratives sell at melt or below. Why should these be different? image >>

I don't collect or hoard gold. But this is the first true US series of gold coins with a theme. Yes, 40,000 of each is high but think of the audience. Probably the best deal these "plus 60 lonely persons" will ever get. Of which 65% are women.

I'm sure someting in that statement is *-est.

So shoot me.

W.C. Fields

<< <i>If a lot of subscriptions are reserved, there won't be very many (if any) individual coins available except in the aftermarket. >>

Good point.

W.C. Fields
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

Edmerlr and I see these First Spouse goldies much the same. Better to spend our money on something with some character, and some real collector value. I have no interest in buying a set of old women gold coins, and these are only bullion coins. Maybe Hilary can sell them to her admirers. image The thought of a US gold coin with Hilary on it makes me wonder about those that approved this silly series.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭
    Women, 60 years old-plus clogging the mint's phone lines trying to be the first on their block to get the spouse goldies... image

• << <i>I have no interest in buying a set of old women gold coins, and these are only bullion coins. >>

go ahead... say it to her face

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bear is right! 40,000 mintage!!! That's too high!!! >>

I don't think they"ll sell any where close to that many. What was the limit on the Robinson uncirculated $5 gold commem?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

If Hillary wins, there will eventually be a Bill Clinton first spouse coin . . . image

• RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    At 40,000 mintage per coin, in my opinion, most of these are destined to sell at melt value.

At $400 x 40 that is approximately $16000 for a set. How many folks have that much money for a set?

Collect them if you like them, but it doesn't look like good financial odds from where I sit.
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>thanks for the link...
    how did you get to that from the mints site? i can get there from your link but can't seem to navigate there from scratch?
    /ed >>

Sometimes it is easier to do a Key word search: Spouse

Rookie Joe
  • tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    image That was funny and scary...I hadn't seen her before:
    go ahead... say it to her face

But I agree, this one does look nice:

I'll be sitting this series out, too; with a seemingly long horizon, the opportunity cost seems steep...although with many of us saying so, aren't the gold ladies likely to be sleepers?
  • ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I don't know but it sounds like $800 dollar an ounce gold for the UNC's aren't out of line since gold is approaching $700. I won't be a buyer but I don't think you'll get burned on these since gold will continue to rise. I also think the prices will be a bit more as the series continues and the mint's trying to get collectors before jacking the price up to where they want it.

If I were buying it would be the UNC's they are always a much lower mintage and making these hags nice and shinny isn't going to improved them any IMOimage
  • bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    edmerlr, what are you thinking? don't you know forty thousand coins all kept in a pristine state, will all have a collectable value now and in the future way above somthing like a dirty ole'crusty busty with a pop of 100 ar so.image
    Seriously, If they sold individual coins I might buy a different liberty or two but if you have to buy four at once I don't think this will work at all for collectors or the mint. I mean, who really wants to buy any of the flipper's 10 Abigail Adams(or many of the others for that matter) mint state 70 or not?

• I don't see any short-term or long-term value to these coins. BUT if you want to collect them for beauty, novelty, bullion, etc., then go for it!
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • I think, if the Mint does not "cartoon" them up (ala the Prez $1), that these coins could actually look good. And that would set them apart from most of what the Mint produces nowadays. If that turns out to be the case then I'm in....image

Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• ghh101ghh101 Posts: 243 ✭✭
    I am in for both subscriptions. Only time will tell.

Gabe

• I'm waiting for the Presidental Pet Series...

I hear Teddy had a Bear..."-)

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nah, gotta save up for college... >>

Tightbudget, yours is the most valid reason I see for not getting them. However, I can steer you toward a few men around here, who've thrown their DEGREE out the window and dropped their careers in some great fields to follow Numismatics. (we need educators in the colleges for numismatics/economics/history/common sense)
    As for the coins, ... They're likely to go up in value, but one still needs a buyer in order to capitalize. Now, if you're in it for collecting; these orbs , I think, will eventually be like ROYALTY.... they're awesome.

Still, that's a lot of gold to be holding onto when the program ends...and it might take a pound of gold to get a loaf of bread by then.
    Study hard ! Stay focused on what is right ! Do well image

HE>I

• I don't think that 40,000 is too high. Don't forget that it is 40,000 across all product options, so if you break it down it will be approximately 20,000 proof sets and 20,000 uncirculated sets. The 20th Anniversary set was a total of 10,000 and it sold out in one day. In this situation you will have 20,000 or so proof sets. How long will it take to sell out 20,000 sets? The value of gold will also increase so these will be profitable. 20,000 sets of each is not a really high number.

What do you guys think of the proof box which ships in August? You only get this box if you order a subscription............
    GUINZO1975

<< <i>I don't think that 40,000 is too high. Don't forget that it is 40,000 across all product options, so if you break it down it will be approximately 20,000 proof sets and 20,000 uncirculated sets. The 20th Anniversary set was a total of 10,000 and it sold out in one day. In this situation you will have 20,000 or so proof sets. How long will it take to sell out 20,000 sets? The value of gold will also increase so these will be profitable. 20,000 sets of each is not a really high number.

What do you guys think of the proof box which ships in August? You only get this box if you order a subscription............ >>

On moderns sets around 10k to 15k seem to be the ones doing the best 40k would be consider real high and sell at bullion value IMO. Not to worry I don't think there will be 40k people completing this set but some may start out thinking they might. As far as proof vs unc, they won't be split in half and never have been it's usually like 2 proofs sold for every 1 unc. The rarer coins in this series won't be these first ones IMO but those being minted in a few years esp. if gold continues to raise at $100 bucks a year.
  • BeeManBeeMan Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    If they are not selling singles no way. I was thinking about getting the Jefferson Liberty but the picture of it looks kind of crappy too. I'll save my money to add to my 7070 instead.
    Watch the mirror count the lines
    The battle scars of all the good times

<< <i>If they are not selling singles no way. I was thinking about getting the Jefferson Liberty but the picture of it looks kind of crappy too. I'll save my money to add to my 7070 instead. >>

When they say all options I assume they'll be selling singles in the future.
  • They will have low populations but will anyone want them in the future. I won'timage
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

Shoot, if people pay thousands for a silver eagle with a tiny w on it, who's to say they won't pay thousands for this stuff.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If they are not selling singles no way. I was thinking about getting the Jefferson Liberty but the picture of it looks kind of crappy too. I'll save my money to add to my 7070 instead. >>

When they say all options I assume they'll be selling singles in the future. >>

Well, I drank the Kool-Aid and subscribed to one set of each.

If they sell all 40,000 subscriptions, there will be no single coin sales, I would assume.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • It would be funny to see how all of you on this board would change your minds if these sets could be flipped for a premium. All of a sudden people would be instant fans of the series. It all comes down to the bottom line. As far as the coins go, those women are ugly as sin, their faces could actually stop a clock. I don't blame Thomas Jefferson for being a fruitcake. If women looked like that I would become a fruitcake too.
    GUINZO1975
  • coinmickeycoinmickey Posts: 767 ✭✭
    It would be funny to see how all of you on this board would change your minds if these sets could be flipped for a premium

I think that's exactly what most people here are thinking....

And I just ordered 1 + 1....image
    Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

Most people like to think anything the mint puts out maybe a flipper, most aren't. I'm a simple collector and I've got some I could flip too but most I could buy on the secondary market cheaper. When you get to high dollar coins with high value metals the best series for collectors are the 1/10 ounce, had they been that and cost around $100 a lot would take the chance but that kind of money is just too much to be setting taking up space for a flip for me. Of course I think gold will rise and take care of the issue but I'd rather have a classic gold coin for the same money or less (per ounce) in case it doesn't but that's just me.image
  • I just ordered one of each. I still think that the mintage for these is low. 40,000 total across all product options is not a lot. If 10,000 20th Anniversary sets sold in one day, I don't see a problem with these selling out within a month or so. That leaves approximately 20,000 sets of each. It may be 18,000 Uncirculateds and 22,000 proofs, or it may be 15,000 and 25,000. No matter what the breakdown is, there will be 20,000 or so sets of each. There is a lot of interest in the Jefferson coin. I noticed most people stated that they would only buy the jefferson coin. Maybe the mint read the posts and figured if they make them only available in sets, then people will be forced to buy all 4 coins if they want the Jefferson. Simply brilliant marketing! Here is another scenario......... What if gold skyrockets this year and goes to $750-800 dollars an ounce? How many people will wish they had gotten these sets? Even for the gold value alone, it is a good deal.
    GUINZO1975

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file