Home U.S. Coin Forum

First Spouse Pricing Announced! Who is going to bite?

Comments

• I'm in for a set of each. 20% over melt in 1 year will look like a bargin. Gold will hit $1000 in 2007.
  • mrmommrmom Posts: 348
    I am in for 5 sets each for now, might increase later.

Liberty alone can cover the whole set IMO
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amongst us we bought 6 sets personal and ten sets for the store.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think this program will see 2015. And if it does, I will be looking down on all you kids from my dome in Luna City. >>

It will continue, just because the 40K is the limit does not mean they have to produce that many. If it is 1K in orders they will still continue the program.

• << <i>It will continue, just because the 40K is the limit does not mean they have to produce that many. If it is 1K in orders they will still continue the program. >>

I meant that I am not 100% confident that the US Mint will still be selling gold in 2015. If good odds were offered, I would bet against it. That said, I'm in, and I know a couple of other guys in my office are too.
    If the program continues beyond 2015 and if Hillary becomes the presidet,

we might see Bill on both Presidential coin and first spouse coin. image
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

Hows everyone putting in their orders?

I did a 1 - 4 - 5 subscription under 1 order number.

Now I'm thinking maybe put each subscription under an order number.

Also, with these subscriptions, I'm thinking I have even LESS to lose. Before I had a 30 day return policy, now I can subscribe, maybe get a sell out, PLUS I still have 30 days. This is going to be interesting.

Also, lets say half are taken for the subscriptions, when they actually go on sale, there is only 20,000 left. Those may go real fast, thus creating even more hype.

OR we could all be losing our A$$es... guess we'll find out soon enough.

<< <i>If the program continues beyond 2015 and if Hillary becomes the presidet,

we might see Bill on both Presidential coin and first spouse coin. image >>

They'd have to both be dead.

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭
    OK I bit for the proof set, but I sure hope they offer the singles and if they do I see a quick sellout for the Liberties.
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    Is the liberty really that great, the reverse is the ugliest design of the four, its just words.
  • It's just nice to see any Liberty back on a circulating U.S. coin.

Adam

<< <i>

<< <i>If the program continues beyond 2015 and if Hillary becomes the presidet,

we might see Bill on both Presidential coin and first spouse coin. image >>

They'd have to both be dead. >>

No, the First Spouse does not have to be dead first.

Curiously, as I reread the law just now, it seems that in the few cases where a President remarried while in the White House, EACH spouse gets her own coin.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    Did you all see the box you get with the proof subscriptions, you can put all the coins as they come out in one box, its in the top wording of this page, US Mint there is a link to a picture of it.

<< <i>Did you all see the box you get with the proof subscriptions, you can put all the coins as they come out in one box, its in the top wording of this page, US Mint there is a link to a picture of it. >>

yap, the way I read it, it is only offered to the subscription buyers and only the first year.
  • Don't know why the GPO links posted above weren't working. They looked good... This Thomas.gov link is hopefully working.

Edit -- Thomas timed out and died too. Thanks Flaminio.

• << <i>

<< <i>Did you all see the box you get with the proof subscriptions, you can put all the coins as they come out in one box, its in the top wording of this page, US Mint there is a link to a picture of it. >>

yap, the way I read it, it is only offered to the subscription buyers and only the first year. >>

Unfortunately, I don't think the uncirculated subscription buyers get the the nice series box image
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.

• << <i>

<< <i>

yap, the way I read it, it is only offered to the subscription buyers and only the first year. >>

Unfortunately, I don't think the uncirculated subscription buyers get the the nice series box image >>

Buy me one....I'll let you know. image LOL

<< <i>SEC. 103. FIRST SPOUSE BULLION COIN PROGRAM.

Don't know why the GPO links posted above weren't working. They looked good... This Thomas.gov link is hopefully working. >>

Thanks. I thought I was doing it wrong.
    So, in two of the years of the program, for Tyler's and Wilson's second wives, we get five coin sets.
    TD
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>SEC. 103. FIRST SPOUSE BULLION COIN PROGRAM.

Don't know why the GPO links posted above weren't working. They looked good... This Thomas.gov link is hopefully working. >>

Thomas links never work -- the searches always expire before anyone else gets a chance to see it.

ubl145.109.pdf">How about this link? It's a PDF, so hopefully you've got Acrobat Reader installed to see it.
    Meh, that one didn't work either.

Here's the mint page with all the enabling legislation. You can click on the Presidential Dollar link there, which includes the First Spouse stuff.
    Hmmmmm, that's interesting. I changed my tagline about half an hour after making the previous post, and the system goes in and changes it on all previous posts.
    TD
  • Mystery solved. The link contains a ": P" so the link auto generates a image and wont work. Kinda funny I guess, at least it's explicable.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=109_cong_public_laws&amp;docid=[DOCID: fimageubl145.109]

<< <i>Mystery solved. The link contains a ": P" so the link auto generates a image and wont work. Kinda funny I guess, at least it's explicable. >>

Gotcha.

Maybe this Snurl'd link will work...
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you all see the box you get with the proof subscriptions, you can put all the coins as they come out in one box, its in the top wording of this page, US Mint there is a link to a picture of it.

By my count, the box holds 21 coins. Isn't the series going to have more coins than that?

Edited to add: (The website says the box will hold up to 46 coins. Maybe there's another compartment underneath.)

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Did you all see the box you get with the proof subscriptions, you can put all the coins as they come out in one box, its in the top wording of this page, US Mint there is a link to a picture of it.

By my count, the box holds 21 coins. Isn't the series going to have more coins than that?

Edited to add: (The website says the box will hold up to 46 coins. Maybe there's another compartment underneath.) >>

I was looking forward to a nice Dansco album. While I like the box it just seems easier to store in an album. When you get too many different size shaped boxes they get hard to stack. image
  • ddinkddink Posts: 2,748

<< <i>Gold will hit $1000 in 2007. >>

Would you mind sharing the winning Powerball numbers for October 3, 2007?
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    Newbie here: I was thinking of adding a subscription to these. Do they charge you for them when you add them to the subscription or when they ship them?

<< <i>Newbie here: I was thinking of adding a subscription to these. Do they charge you for them when you add them to the subscription or when they ship them? >>

When they are shipped.

<< <i>Newbie here: I was thinking of adding a subscription to these. Do they charge you for them when you add them to the subscription or when they ship them? >>

when they ship them
  • I am brand new to this forum, and just as new to coin collecting. Actually, I started out two years ago with precious metals in my portfolio, and it grew into coin collecting.

I have read through all of the replies to this post, and I have the following observation. I don't think that anyone can loose on the spouses- here is why! The worst possible thing that can happen (baring a serious pull back in gold bullion prices) is that 5, 10, 15 years or even more from today, the 2 ounces of gold in either set will be worth spot+. Rather, given the current and coming economical and geopolitical climate I would say one will have a handsome return on bullion price alone. Now, what if these Ladies (or just some of them) become a great success in the collector world, well then lot of people will be kicking themselves in the pants for not getting in on the "IPO" price.

In short, I for one see no downside to owning these coins, I was looking to add some gold to my portfolio. APMEX would charge me ~$2,850 for 4 ounces of gold bullions. Instead I subscribed to the proof and unc sets, 1 of each, and I will pay Uncle Sam ~3,200 on delivery. The difference is $350 – a small price to pay for the good possibility that these coins or some of them will real collectors’ value far beyond that of gold price.

Lastly, I hope that the prevailing lukewarm attitude for these coins on this forum, is an indicator for the wider collectors’ attitude. This way the Mint may on sell 20,000 sets rather than the limit of 40,000 thus adding that much more collector’s value in the years to come.

<< <i>The worst possible thing that can happen (baring a serious pull back in gold bullion prices) is that 5, 10, 15 years or even more from today, the 2 ounces of gold in either set will be worth spot+. >>

Which would make these a great deal, if there was no such thing as "opportunity cost."
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."

<< <i>I am brand new to this forum, and just as new to coin collecting. Actually, I started out two years ago with precious metals in my portfolio, and it grew into coin collecting.

I have read through all of the replies to this post, and I have the following observation. I don't think that anyone can loose on the spouses- here is why! The worst possible thing that can happen (baring a serious pull back in gold bullion prices) is that 5, 10, 15 years or even more from today, the 2 ounces of gold in either set will be worth spot+. Rather, given the current and coming economical and geopolitical climate I would say one will have a handsome return on bullion price alone. Now, what if these Ladies (or just some of them) become a great success in the collector world, well then lot of people will be kicking themselves in the pants for not getting in on the "IPO" price.

In short, I for one see no downside to owning these coins, I was looking to add some gold to my portfolio. APMEX would charge me ~$2,850 for 4 ounces of gold bullions. Instead I subscribed to the proof and unc sets, 1 of each, and I will pay Uncle Sam ~3,200 on delivery. The difference is $350 – a small price to pay for the good possibility that these coins or some of them will real collectors’ value far beyond that of gold price.

Lastly, I hope that the prevailing lukewarm attitude for these coins on this forum, is an indicator for the wider collectors’ attitude. This way the Mint may on sell 20,000 sets rather than the limit of 40,000 thus adding that much more collector’s value in the years to come. >>

well said,

I couldn't have said better.

• CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭
    image HonestMoney...So far I am in for 1 each. I would like to throw caution to the wind but I have to prepare for other coins of interest. So I have to pick and choose today, so I will not be shut out tomorrow on other series coming or I collect..image
    One advantage also is at least these coins have a changing design every year unlike the ASE and AGE's. Though I do collect all the ASE's. The change in design will only help no matter how unflattering and unpopular some may be. Welcome to the forum.

• << <i>Which would make these a great deal, if there was no such thing as "opportunity cost." >>

opportunity cost is unavoidable, if you don't invest here, then you would invest someplace else, but "someplace else" may not be as good as something other then "someplace else". You cannot get around it. The best thing anyone can do is have a good hedge. I think I have presented this with either value increase: bullion or collector

• tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    NOT
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    interesting action on this thread, what is the consensus guys?
  • uh.................Yaaaaaaaaaaa

• JimDepotJimDepot Posts: 957 ✭✭
    From the mint

"2007 First Spouse Proof Gold Coin subscribers will receive their four-coin set in June 2007, and the custom-designed subscription box in August."

Mint should start selling the proofs in May/June.

No word on the uncirculated.

I hope they sell 39,500 sets of the proofs, that would leave 496 (subscription) uncirculated sets for you guys.

• CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone called/contacted the Mint to see if the series box will be available for the Unc's? The price between the Proofs and the Unc's isn't that great to stiff one group of collectors over the other. If nothing else, they should offer the box to Unc subscribers at addtional cost. If the proofs fit, the Unc's would too.
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will the uncirc and proof have different mintmarks or will they both be the same except for the finish?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

<< <i>opportunity cost is unavoidable >>

This is true. However, having your capital tied up in relatively illiquid assets compounds your opportunity cost immeasurably. What if you buy all you can of these, with the expectation that they increase dramatically in a few years, and miss the 10th Anniversary Platinum later this year? If that 10th Anniversary Platinum doubles in a month, your opportunity cost is staggering.

That said, I do wish you the best of luck.
    I collect the platinums but the only way this annivesary set will take off is if its a low mintage. If they make 30,000 of these I don't see this set taking off.

Also so what happens if they are all sold out during the subscriptions. Does that basically shut out everyone for the future sets on the spouses that did not sign up for the subscriptions or will the mint increase the mintage of these to allow more subscribers. Of course you could cancel your future subscriptions but if its a sell out who would?
    It could get interesting. Is the set mintage of 40,000 set in stone and part of the congressional bill for this?
  • ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>opportunity cost is unavoidable >>

This is true. However, having your capital tied up in relatively illiquid assets compounds your opportunity cost immeasurably. What if you buy all you can of these, with the expectation that they increase dramatically in a few years, and miss the 10th Anniversary Platinum later this year? If that 10th Anniversary Platinum doubles in a month, your opportunity cost is staggering.

That said, I do wish you the best of luck. >>

I agree the 10th Anniversary Platinum set is the one I'm after and after seeing the schedule for the Plat's these should be low mintage. The mints not one to make a ton of coins in a run or two. For all of those buying UNC not having the fancy packaging maybe a blessing since many like the proofs the best already and should encourage more to get the free collectors box. I'm sure you can pick one up off Ebay since even if they sell out the scripts (which I doubt) most will drop out way before the end of the series.image
  • coinmickeycoinmickey Posts: 767 ✭✭

<< <i>I collect the platinums but the only way this annivesary set will take off is if its a low mintage. If they make 30,000 of these I don't see this set taking off.

Also so what happens if they are all sold out during the subscriptions. Does that basically shut out everyone for the future sets on the spouses that did not sign up for the subscriptions or will the mint increase the mintage of these to allow more subscribers. Of course you could cancel your future subscriptions but if its a sell out who would?
    It could get interesting. Is the set mintage of 40,000 set in stone and part of the congressional bill for this? >>

Agreed for the most part on the Anniv. Plats BUT...if they put a one-time/first-time kind of coin in there (reverse proof, etc.) then the set will be a must for most collectors. In any event, they'll probably price the set to the heavens so they'll never sell a large amount.....I hope!!

Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• That Jefferson Liberty is going to be hot IMO.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, looks like they sharpened up the nose line and covered up the bustline on Jeff's girl.

Seriously, would folks on this column buy ANYTHING the mint makes if it was low mintage?

I still can not see how these hag issues are anything but US minted versions of the old Franklin Mint NCLTs (hey they are back in business now too!). They are not tied to any currency issues, and are not even bullion though struck on half oz. blanks.

People could say the same thing about the Jackie Robinson gold, but at least that was a commemorative to somebody that actually did something whereas these are just coins showing ladies by default, some good, some not so good.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

<< <i> Did you all see the box you get with the proof subscriptions, you can put all the coins as they come out in one box, its in the top wording of this page, US Mint there is a link to a picture of it.

Edited to add: (The website says the box will hold up to 46 coins. Maybe there's another compartment underneath.) >>

There are at least two trays. The top tray holds 21 coins, which would be the first five years worth including the two wives of John Tyler. The next, presumably bottom tray should hold 25 coins, the next six years including the two wives of Woodrow Wilson.

It is also possible that there are three trays of 21, 21 and whatever to allow room to continue the series past the current First Spouses.

TD

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file