Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Show Your Collection

Comments

• Options
    KikoKiko Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Forgive me if this topic has been addressed before on CU, but I have a question. I've been considering putting together a display like the ones in this thread. However, I'm somewhat concerned that over time exposure to light may affect the cards. Anyone out there experienced this, or researched this before? Many thanks!
    Working on these raw sets:
    54 & 55 Bowman
    55, 56, 58, & 60 Topps.
    Have lots of cards, including some PSAs, 53-58 to trade.
    Also, have Football 55-57 to trade for BB cards.

YOU DON'T RUN ON ROBERTO CLEMENTE!!!
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Kiko,

I have never researched it, but exposure to direct sunlight is not a good thing. My collection is in my finished basement and there is 0 exposure to sunlight. I also monitor the humidity in the room and turn on the dehumidifier when necessary.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Ray (Kiko)

I agree, keep the sets in a dark closet and bring them out when you want to look at them.

Sunlight is a killer

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I love the graded card wall display...totally killer. Unfortunately, my cards are now on display on Ebay.

Foxx, Freehan, Gehinger, Bob Gibson, Goslin and much more

• Options
    Just thought I'd add this interesting item to the thread. I got a couple of these Reggie Bar wrappers autographed by the man back in '78 or '79 and just recently had this one framed. The auto isn't stellar, because it's ball point pen on wax paper, but I still love it. In person it's very evident, but the photos suck because there are all sorts of reflections of my hands and camera in the glass. Oh well...hopefully people will enjoy seeing it anyway.

Always looking to trade 1957 to 1971 baseball cards!

CMB: http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/JollyElm/
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭
    some of my stuff in room one,i gotta work on my photo skills.

not quit as organized as others but i know here everything is.as always a work in progress!
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NICE STUFF!!!!!!
  • Options
    TJMAC, sorry for the late reply but I as well have to spend my money wisely with 2 young(under age 3) kids at home too. They can be rather expensive. Great displays guys. I'm slowly organizing in hopes of displaying some(someday).
  • Options
    kidzfundkidzfund Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Love the pictures. We just got a new printer/scanner combo so I'll try to post some scans soon. But I don't have a room dedicated to collectibles like many of you.

Joe
  • Options
    You are not kidding about kids being expensive and mine are still young!!! They are certainly worth it though.
  • Options
    Goraiders, very nice display!!! That has got to be hard to dust.

The framed Reggie wrappers are a unique items and display nicely. Many in their mid 30's and up remembers those sitting in the grocery check out line.
  • Options
    tjmac,
    lucky for me my wife has a huge shoe fetish,so we have a deal,

you get more than 10 pairs of shoes a month,you must dust!

i won 11/12 last yearimage

i also am in to collecting unworn jordans,63 pairs so far!
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    Nice collection Go Raiders.

My wife would kill me if I decorated a room like that. As it is my collectibles are confined to my home office where she still complains from time to time.
  • Options
    she gets the living room and bedroom decorations,
    i get the den and garage.am in the process of adding another room to the back of the house
    16/20 so i'll be able to spread out a little more and have one room just raiders,
    other room for all the other teams and misc. stuff.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    My wife is pretty understanding about my stuff, but I am impressed that your wife will actually dust it.
  • Options

<< <i>Goraiders, very nice display!!! That has got to be hard to dust.

The framed Reggie wrappers are a unique items and display nicely. Many in their mid 30's and up remembers those sitting in the grocery check out line. >>

I loved Reggie and I loved the candy bars...even though they tasted like stale Baby Ruths.
    Always looking to trade 1957 to 1971 baseball cards!

CMB: http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/JollyElm/
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    I'll now post these on the right thread:

• Options
    Fantastic stuff man. I especially like that Ali auto.

• Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the displays and setups look great. I have plans for a memorabilia room when I finish the remodel on my basement. You guys have given me some great ideas. Below is a link to my collection if anyone wants to take a look. I am working on a Career in cards for Hall of Famers from 1950 to 2005, and a few hopefuls.

Hall of Fame
  • Options
    Dont have my FF's in one pic so.....

My 2005 BDP Martins

My Dodger auto's. Traded quite a few of these away recently though.

My Kershaw Collection. One /5 incoming and gonna win another today !!

My Bat collection. Black one is signed and GU and other has 20+ Dodger auto's. Hope they're real.

My only Jersey. Not GU but it goes with my 2005 BDP Martin Futures collection

imageimageimage
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Well, there was some good to come from the Mario hating.

Got all of these for less than 75% of what they are going for today; most were $5 to $10 a pop. Sad thing is I have a bunch more but don't know where they are.

And before you ask, no, I was not bit by the modern bug.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

And before you ask, no, I was not bit by the modern bug.

image >>

Glad we cleared that up. :chuckling to myself:

• Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    These are a couple of my favorite pieces in my collection. They aren't as nice as most of the stuff on this thread but they mean a lot to me. The first is a Nolan Ryan Coor's Light stand-up advertisement that was in the local Wal-Mart back in 1997 or 1998. It's about 5' tall and still has the tear sheets.

The next pic is of an autographed 8x10 of the photo used for The Mick's '52 Topps card. It is matted with a copy of the '52 Topps card and is limited to 1952 pieces.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Chris that Mantle piece is AWESOME! Thanks for the pic image
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Thanks, Perk! I love the blue ink on the black and white photo, especially that black and white photo.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Chris that Mantle piece is AWESOME! Thanks for the pic image >>

I agree! That is a great Mantle piece.
  • Options

<< <i>

I agree! That is a great Mantle piece. >>

And if I had a Mantle, I would put that Mantle right on it!
  • Options

<< <i>

I agree! That is a great Mantle piece. >>

I also agree. That is awesome !!!!

Here's my only vintage cardboard. "Spread yourself and smoke". Hmm.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    TJMAC very impressive. What a collection you have amassed.

Everybody else who posted pics, thank you. I love these types of threads. They give me ideas and goals to shoot for. I also like the Time Magazines and Sporting News.

As far as showing off our collections. That is the point isn't it. Why stick your cards in a safe where you can't even view them. I think at that point it, you turn from a collector to an investor. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    I love this thread.I thought I would give it a bump
  • Options
    A very cool thread indeed.

Is danp still hangin around?
    His displays were awesome but his links are no longer working. image

Somebody fix those links or post new pics. image
  • Options
    I thought I would get this thread going again since I finished my 30 key PSA card sets for 1961 and 1964. I uploaded these to my photobucket and decided to share them since no one around me really collects nor cares. Here is where I stand with getting 30 key cards from 1956-1985 (Topps)

1956 - 11/30
    1957 - 1/30
    1958 - 12/30
    1959 - 30/30
    1960 - 2/30
    1961 - 30/30
    1962 - 13/30
    1963 - 22/30 - Still need a few of the big guns Clemente, Aaron, Brock. Like I said earlier, I will not be getting Rose or Stargell.
    1964 - 30/30
    1965 - 7/30
    1966 - 28/30 - Only need Perry and McCovey
    1967 - 29/30 - Only need the Seaver. I just won the Robinson tonight.
    1968 - 29/30 - Still need Ryan
    1969-1980 - 30/30
    1981 - 28/30 - Still need Niekro and Stargell
    1982 - 29/30 - Only need Yaz.
    1983-1985 - 30/30

I have always loved the 1964 Topps Rose Card. It just has great visual appeal!!!

• Options
    TJMAC, how do you decide what the 30 key cards are for each year?
  • Options
    Good question. First off, I count only regular cards of the players, no combo's or All Stars unless it is a rookie i.e. Carlton, Niekro, Sutton etc. The only exception would be the Pete Rose and Stargell from 1963. I am sure I will give in and eventually buy them, but they are such ugly rookie cards I have a hard time justifying forking over around $400 for a Rose rookie.

Then I include all the major stars - Mantle, Aaron, Clemente, Koufax, Brett, Reggie etc. Then the minor star Hofers such as Billy Williams, Sutton, Perry, Niekro I would rotate theircards each year to stay under 30. I have pretty much all their cards in the 60's but in the 70's I am misisng one here and there. Once I complete the 30 for each year I will finish the Fleer and Donurss issues up to 1985 and then will eventually work my way back to Topps and Bowman pre 1955, which will take probably the rest of my life since I buy only PSA 5 and higher in the 50's. I may even expand a bit to finish my run of Perry, Williams, Sutton, Niekro etc and even add some of the new and future Hofers i.e. Rice, Sutter, Gossage. Who knows I may even branch into 60's, 70's and 80's Football, Basketball and Hockey. I will definitely stick with buying the star cards and limit my complete set building.

I started with 30 because that is what fit in my display cases and it seemed like a nice number to encompass all the stars from each year. It is really cool looking at all the great players from each year. It is like viewing little pieces of history and really takes you back to that time. It is also neat seeing how the big names changed over the years.
  • Options
    TJMAC, are those self-made display cases or something else? I sure would like to get my hands on a couple!
  • Options

Hi Des1984,

I am sorry I did not respond soon as I missed your post. Anyway, I talked about the cases back on the first page of the thread. Here is part of the post:

"Those are the Pennzoni cases that are decent for displaying. They are not top of the line, but they do the job. The key is putting a couple of screws or hooks behind them to make them move up a little bit. This keeps the cards against the wood. You can't tell the screws are back there since they don't stick out too far."

Thanks,
    Terry

• Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Terry -

Very nice. Great way to collect and display.
  • Options
    Thanks Bob. It is a lot of fun, but like most projects it is hard staying focused the deeper you get into it since the cards you need don't come up as much. Especially, when you are looking for certain grades and want to stay somewhat within budget. That is why I try collecting a wide range of years so there is variety.

Terry
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I just wanted to compliment you TJMAC on that awesome display of cards, VERY Well Done!!!! I think I'm going to have to start making me a wall display for my cards when I get back to work.

Brian
  • Options
    sayheykid54sayheykid54 Posts: 779 ✭✭
    Great display! I like the fact that you concentrate on Star and HOF players.
  • Options
    Sorry for the bad pics/glare

2005 BDP Russ Martin
    Missing from pic is the white paralell and the patch cards

Clayton Kershaw future Dodgers Pitcher
    3 more incoming

Dodgers Bowman Xfractor RC's (most are RC's)
    Need to get a pic of the 30+ more I have

imageimageimage
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought I would get this thread going again since I finished my 30 key PSA card sets for 1961 and 1964. I uploaded these to my photobucket and decided to share them since no one around me really collects nor cares. Here is where I stand with getting 30 key cards from 1956-1985 (Topps)

1956 - 11/30
    1957 - 1/30
    1958 - 12/30
    1959 - 30/30
    1960 - 2/30
    1961 - 30/30
    1962 - 13/30
    1963 - 22/30 - Still need a few of the big guns Clemente, Aaron, Brock. Like I said earlier, I will not be getting Rose or Stargell.
    1964 - 30/30
    1965 - 7/30
    1966 - 28/30 - Only need Perry and McCovey
    1967 - 29/30 - Only need the Seaver. I just won the Robinson tonight.
    1968 - 29/30 - Still need Ryan
    1969-1980 - 30/30
    1981 - 28/30 - Still need Niekro and Stargell
    1982 - 29/30 - Only need Yaz.
    1983-1985 - 30/30

I have always loved the 1964 Topps Rose Card. It just has great visual appeal!!!

image >>

TJ, awesome 61s and 64. That is a great collection!!!
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Pretty bored so I figure I'll post some junk up here. I'll limit it to my decent baseball stuff (autos/not much of my game used or rookies) because I'm not sure how much people would actually want to see of my stuff.

Some Braves junk....

imageimage

Rays...(I picked up about 3/4 of these cards for half of what they're going for today image )

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

Onto my Braves vintage/Franchise Hall of Fame collection, which is what most of you will probably enjoy the most. (Spahn auto is at PSA as we speak)

That's the brunt of it. Hope you somewhat enjoyed it and sorry for size and number of pics!

• Options
    Just a little taste of some of the junk I collect.

• Options
    Goot, very nice Braves and Rays collection! I like the diversity of eras. I am not much of a Braves fan, but I always liked Chipper Jones. He is the closest thing to Mickey Mantle in baseball today. Doesn't have the power of Mantle, but is a switch hitter, plays hurt and is a team leader.
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    nice stuff!

but steady eddie, im not sure what to make of your 86 fleer basketball box and wrapper collection, not like they are rare...
  • Options
    Hmmmm, I didn't see the word RARE in the thread heading. It said show
    your collection. I showed a small part of it. I'll try harder next time.