Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

70s/80s Football Wax rip official Thread (RIPPING IN PROGRESS!!!)

Comments

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Here are my 76 highlights:

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    No stars, this is my only gradable card:

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice Sipe!

Zef .. Jim Hart is underrated. I loved watching him sling the ball around. Nice card there as well.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Anyone want my wrappers from this rip??
  • Options
    I collect the all pro's from 76-80. If anyone gets any nicely centered ones and are willing to sell them, let me know. Hopefully, a rip like this happens again!
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I will get mine posted later tonight. But the best card I got was a 2nd year Drew Pearson. PSA 8 quality. I got a Packer but he has wax on it but I should be able to get it off with some pantyhose 'cause it is on the front.

I have two takers for their Packer Cards. If anyone wants to trade their Packers let me know. All of my Raiders are spoken for.
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    I'll give up my Packers for any LSU players you come across.

Let me know what you get!
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    The amazing thing with those cards is the size of the players, they are not very big.

Before roids and supplements.

Bobby Bryant looks like he might go 170 lbs with his pads.

On a side note, who the heck is J.J. Jones, don't remember him.

Peace

Doug
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    just ripped my 76. the gum was sticking thru the wrapper and 3 of the 4 corners were torn so i figured i would open rather than grade...this would've been my first graded pack however. image

nothing gradeable but pulled a nicely centered sam cunningham with wax stain on the front. it appears to be the best centered and best condition overall from the pack.

had a jack ham and bob kuenchenberg, both oc along with a couple of checklists.

better luck on the next packs... image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Those '76s look fantastic. (Is that Terry Hanratty or Terry Jones from Monty Python?) Thanks for posting scans.

Really looking forward to seeing how the '78s come out.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    76: AFC championship, bills checklist, scoring leaders

all cards were in nice shape.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    My '76 highlight was a nicely centered "Too Tall" Jones rookie card. Slight touch under 10x by lower right would probably keep from a 9 holder, but definitely a solid 8. The centering was really nice on all the cards, with great corners too. Couple cards could be possible 10's.
  • Options
    After reading about your guys '78 packs, I gave mine a quick whiff and it too is musty. Basement Wax, I presume. I pulled that pack out of the box and into a ziploc bag because I don't want my other packs to smell like that. Will our water-damaged '85 packs smell like that sooner or later?
    I have several unopened semi-vintage boxes that I store wrapped in bubble wrap and then in a shoebox or appropriate size box. Sometimes I throw a packet of silica gel in with my boxes to try and help ward off any humidity problems. Is this wise or dumb? Even if it doesn't do much, it doesn't seem like it could hurt anything.
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Here are some of my better 76s. No rookies yet, but some will come from the other packs.

• Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Piman at least your Anderson looks better than mine. I wonder if he is difficult to find centered?

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Jeez, a couple of Rice rookies already...

Where's Montana and Payton??? Those are the two I really want to see.

Keep the scans coming, those of us that missed out on the rip need to live vicariously through the rest of you. image
  • Options
    "Keep the scans coming, those of us that missed out on the rip need to live vicariously through the rest of you."

I agree.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Since it's nearly Midnight here on the East coast, I'll post my '77s.

Nothing out of the '77 pack, but a couple of cards in decent shape.

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    My 77's. This is also my 2nd Ken Anderson, but not my last.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Anybody pull a Second year payton yet ? OR a LArgent Rc ?

• Options
    So far the Stars are not showing

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    No rookies in the 77 for me..Here's my best:

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Thats a darn nice card !

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    A couple more 76s - someone say they collect Packers?

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Best of the 77's.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    The cards in my '76 packs were in great shape. I got all commons, though.

I liked Steve Furness' pose. The receiving leaders had Chuck Foreman on it for me, but there is a bubble in the card's surface.

Nice Tingelhoff, sidepocket!

Doug
  • Options
    Doug, I need that John James for my All Pro collection. It looks like it is in pretty good shape. Is it for sale?
  • Options

<< <i>Doug, I need that John James for my All Pro collection. It looks like it is in pretty good shape. Is it for sale? >>

Sure, I can send it to you. Most of my cards are in the VG-EX to NM range, so I'm less confident in higher grade cards, but it might be an 8. The upper right corner isn't perfect, but the card looks great otherwise.

You're looking for other all pros, right? Let's see if I get any others too.

Doug
  • Options
    Doug,

I sent you a PM. I am fine with centered 7 and 8 type cards. I can't tell you how much money I have saved over my collecting life by "settling" for centered 7 and 8's. To me, a corner touch kinda dissapears inside the holder.

Thanks!
  • Options
    here are my 76s ....

not a good sign when my best card is:
    1) Gene Upshaw
    2) Wax stained on the reverse

oh well --- condition was near perfect on these 21 year old cards. Can't beat that.

- Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    For 1977 I got a Mike Haynes RC that I think will grade PSA 9 (maybe higher ?). The other cards were in great shape. I pulled out 4 other commons I thought might have a shot at PSA 10.

What does a box of 1977 go for? What did ours cost? If I could get a box made up of packs as nice as the one I got I would be very happy.

I'll post scans when I get a chance.
  • Options
    I don't see any full boxes on the BBCE website. He sells them for $25 a pack though. Great pull on that Haynes. I look forward to seeing a scan. I have been trying to pick one up lately, but there is a fair amount of interest in that card since it is his rookie. I missed out on a high end 8 that went for $28. In 9, that might very well be a $100 card.
  • Options

<< <i>A couple more 76s - someone say they collect Packers?

image >>

PM Sent. Thanks
  • Options
    Here are my 1976 and 1977 packs. Nothing huge but I got a couple Packer Cards.

• Options
    i pulled a largent rookie. i will scan it later tonite.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    <<What does a box of 1977 go for? What did ours cost?>>

Mike I paid 850 for our 77 box from dacw
  • Options
    i'd be interested in some 77s and 84s.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    Here's my '76s. Another beautiful pack of these...

Including Bears RB.....

... Roland Harper.

I bet someone ended up with a VERY nice Payton RC, though, judging by the condition of my pack.

No real highlights, but more than one card in the 9/10 area, including Cowboy Preston Pearson.

My LSU Autographs

• Options
    And here's the 1977s.....

A frighteningly sharp Alan Page.... and another beauty of a pack.

The Alzado is nice, but has wax on the back.

By the way, if anyone sees anything that they want, let me know. I am going to keep some of the dead on stars (like the Page), but most of it is available. I am interested in any ex-LSU players you pull or your '86 "scrub commons." I think I'm going to put this set together raw.
    My LSU Autographs

• Options
    here's the largent. the 77 pack was by-far better condition-wise than the 76. any guesses to the grade?

jasp, nice oj.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Here are my 77s. I always liked Plunkett as a quarterback and Marinaro was great in Hill Street Blues.

• Options
    ld, that Largent looks like a solid 8. Nice card.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    how do you post pics of cards?
    just did my 76... not bad....
  • Options
    Since I won't get online until later tomorrow night, I'll post the two best cards from my '78 pack....

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>here's the largent. the 77 pack was by-far better condition-wise than the 76. any guesses to the grade?

jasp, nice oj.

image >>

probably an 8 but it looks like there is a tilt to the cut. check bottom border of the box. looks a little off to me.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    My musty 78's:

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    My 77's were junk.

My 78's yielded this however...

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    And if you think the right edge looks funny, you are right. It really looks like it was sheet cut by someone who doesn't know how to cut a sheet.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    nice pull, Zef --- you dirty bastage!
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    Look at the baby face on Dorsett - nice card Zef!

My smelly 78's produced a Garo Yepremian but I'll save you all from having to look at his pic.

"Molon Labe"