Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Drum roll please...

Here is the newest PSA 9 Willie Brown rc (pop 3 now) to the population report.

Greg M.

Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    VERY nice Greg. You hit the lottery with that one!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Another 1993 SP Bettis 10 was graded this week as well...#4 came from me..I've been searching for #5...lol..Now I'll have to be on the look out for #6!

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Sweet card!!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Another Largent 10 popped yesterday and it wasnt mine image Anyone know who has it?
  • Options
    I didn't even notice that one Joe, but probably the same guy who got the Bettis 10...lol

Ok, so I've got my final stack of cards ready to go to PSA this afternoon and be one of the first in the half grade grading chute. I will post the results here once I get them back in a few weeks. To use our HOF qualifications on them, I would say I have quite a few STRONG POSSIBLES, and only a few LOCKS. Kinda running blind as we don't know exactly how they will be grading on this new scale, but I have 4 cards that I will be absolutely shocked if at least each of these 4 don't bump:

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

I know we are looking at scans, but I would be shocked if one, or more, of those don't get a full grade bump. Those are some beautiful cards Jason.

- Chris
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Jason,

I am willing to bet that only two of those get the bump. Just because they are not going to bump every card that everone sends in.

Just my opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>Good luck Jason,

I am willing to bet that only two of those get the bump. Just because they are not going to bump every card that everone sends in.

Just my opinion. >>

I agree..These are part of a 60 card sub though...I just like to make predictions, and just posted my A grade LOCKS here...I've got 11 others as strong possible bumps, 5 are in my long shot group, and all the rest are up for grabs, could go either way...

Jason
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    The Tunnell looks to be the surest bet for a full grade bump (what kept it from a 9 on the last sub?). The others are legitimate half grades from the looks of the scans.
  • Options
    Jason what`s the breakdown on the levels you are paying for the 65 cards ?

Out of those 4 i think 2 or 3 get .5 grade bumps ,Don`t thing the Yale Lary will make it the bottom right just looks a little touched and off color ,And i really wonder how many bumps they will give big name stars like the Unitas.

I think they are only going to bump the near perfect card corner wise what most nines are now.Not sure how centering will come into play i agree with your thoughts from what you are picking that centering will be huge but how will they treat that pure mint card corner wise @ surface wise now that has say 70/30 or 65/35 it will be interesting to see.

I want to hold off a bit to try to get a clear idea 65 bucks a wack adds up quick but as we all know things change day to day grader to grader so bottom line i guess its always a gamble.

Best of luck please keep us in the loop
  • Options
    I think a full-grade bump is going to be too much to ask, but I agree that all are definitely .5 bump material.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>I think a full-grade bump is going to be too much to ask, but I agree that all are definitely .5 bump material. >>

I agree, I'm not looking for full grades on these 4. I've already sent most of my "full grade" possibles in for bumps in the past..lol..Hoping for half grades on these ,although I do have a few PSA 9's sprinkled in that I think have a shot at PSA 10 (1972 Rayfield Wright RC comes to mind)...

Art, I have one going in on the $60 level (PSA 8 1933 Grange)...14 on a $35 sub, and the rest are on the $13/5 day special. I'm hoping they will be generous to the new process. My over/under is 10% on this as with all of my review or crack and resub orders. Less than 10% I won't be happy..10-20% overall bumps, I'll be happy..20%+ I'll be ecstatic!

Jason
  • Options
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    how can this be a 5???

Nammath PSA 5 RC
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>how can this be a 5???

Nammath PSA 5 RC >>

Um...wow.

You know what though, I think I may have been watching that card raw a few months back. Seems to me it sold for around $120. I know there was a Namath that had "rat chewed" corners on it that did sell. I thought about it up til $60 or so then decided to pass. I wonder if it wasn't this exact card.

Not sure how that's a 5 and this card below is my PSA 4 (I dont' have a pic in the holder here at work, just raw before I sent it in)

• Options
    Something is absolutely not right with that Namath 5. It's at least 3 grades too high. WTF???
  • Options
    but grading is subjective. so there must be some really redeeming quality about this card. but i cant see it. maybe the grader just missed the corner thingy.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Anyone who would pay more than PSA 2 or 3 price for that PSA 5 card needs their head examined.

Let's take babysteps on card buying priorities shall we...

1st- Card
    2nd- Slab

Pretty simple...Anyone who mixes those 2 up deserves every ugly 5 they get...lolol

Jason
  • Options
    You can't really tell without close inspection but that looks terrible. Maybe someone sat a cold drink on the corner and it got a little soggy but never tore apart so it now looks like it does????? It could still have all the papaer there but just not look real nice I guess. And we all know this theory is good because we all leave raw Namath rookie cards laying around on coffee tables. Simple: don't buy it.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Not sure how that's a 5 and this card below is my PSA 4 (I dont' have a pic in the holder here at work, just raw before I sent it in)
    >>

Josh, while your Namath has its issues (corners, centering, off-color), unless it has a noticeable crease somewhere, It definitely belongs in a higher grade than PSA 4. Easy 5 IMO, if not a low end 6 on a lucky day..lol... And i'm not even using the ugly 5 as comparison, just on its own merits via the scan.

Jason
  • Options
    Thanks, It's probably the nicest looking 4 I've ever seen. image

I paid PSA 5 (at the time) money for it, fully expecting it to get into a 5 holder. There is a small stain on the card just above the football. It looks exactly the same in person as it does in the scan. No creases anywhere on the card, no puckering or surface wrinkles. I even brought it to PSA at the SUn Times show in October 2006 and had them look at it again, told me it was a PSA 4. They did do it for free though.

I'll probably crack and resubmit it at some point, but at $35 it's kinda spend. Although if it bumps, it's worth every penny of the $35 I suppose.

Speaking of sending stuff in, did you find out if they were doing any kind of special in Feb for reviews? I've got my stack pulled out ready for the .5 bumps.

• Options
    Anyone hear from Jon lately?
  • Options
    He kinda hinted he would be laying low for a while.
  • Options
    One of my latest pickup's. I overpaid but this one might be a 7.5?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I would definitely think so Dave...Here's my 8 for comparison:

Jason
  • Options
    After having won a PSA 10 Portis rookie tonight, I have an extra PSA 9 if ayone's interested. $15 delivered. LMK.
  • Options
    Anyone know what time the annoucement will be on Saturday?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    2:30 Mountain. So I'll have to wait until 4:30 being on the East Coast image
  • Options
    I think the HOF announcement show starts at 4 PM EST on NFL Network...Some tidbits--

-Darrell Green MIGHT NOT be the lock we assume he is..As you know it takes 9 NO votes of the 44 voters to keep a player out. There are at least 3 not voting for Green..

-Been hearing a lot of push on Art Monk (as usual). I won't be surprised if he gets in this year...A couple of the voters have been doing radio interviews and Monk is going to have the most guys in the HOF meeting actually "fighting" for his election.

-Dr. Z made some "not likely" comments in reference to Andre Tippett. Although with the Patriots where they are right now, Tippett might get a few extra votes...He could even beat out Derrick Thomas...Tippett may actually get the strongest push from the group of pass rushers this year.

-Ray Guy won't even make the cut to 10 this year..Too many voters who don't think special team players belong.

-I don't think Tagliabue is going to get in until the NFL solves it's labor disbute that Tagliabue never finished. He put a band-aid on it, and we aren't going to know if that band-aid was good or bad until the NFL and players union strike a long term deal.

Here are my updated predictions for the Class of 2008:

Marshall Goldberg (yes, I'm flip-flopping here..Basing this on the fact that no senior selection has ever missed getting in on their 2nd senior selection..)
    Cris Carter
    Darrell Green
    Bob Kuechenberg
    Andre Tippett
    Art Monk (I really think this might be the year)

Cut to 10:
    Derrick Thomas
    Richard Dent
    Randy Gradishar
    Russ Grimm
    Randall McDaniel
    **(Fred Dean could replace one of these Guards)

Two more days and we'll shall see...lol

Jason
  • Options
    OK Jason...I just bought your PSA 9 Tippett...Hoping your right. If not, I'll stick it in my sell box....LOL.....

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>OK Jason...I just bought your PSA 9 Tippett...Hoping your right. If not, I'll stick it in my sell box....LOL.....

dave >>

LOL..I have another PSA 9 I'm going to wait and list after the announcements if he gets in. I also have a extra Derrick Thomas 10. One of the 2 is getting in. My selection of Tippett over Thomas is just based on what I have read and the interviews I've heard this week from some of the HOF voters. John Hannah is the only current HOFer from the 80's Patriots Super Bowl team.

The thing I keep hearing on Tippett that, to me, says he is going get a huge push is if it wasn't for Lawrence Taylor, Tippett would be considered the greatest pass rushing LB of his era. He was also better against the run that LT.

This is quote from Peter King:

"I'm solidly in Andre Tippett's corner, and I will vocally support him during the meeting," King said. "I've always thought the guys who played on losing teams in their career get short shrift in Hall of Fame consideration. This is a classic example."

"When Tippett played, he was a strong-side linebacker - ask [the Giants'] Carl Banks how tough it was to get sacks from the strong side, with a tight end in your face all the time - and in most seasons was the primary focus of the opposing game plan. To have been consistently outstanding for a decade, and to have averaged 10 sacks a year with what he faced every week is worthy of my Hall vote."

• Options
    Awesome - a shout out to Carl Banks. He, along with Joe Morris, were my favorite Giants growing up. Nice!
  • Options

<< <i>My selection of Tippett over Thomas is just based on what I have read and the interviews I've heard this week from some of the HOF voters. >>

Jason, Where do you read these interviews at? Is it on the web or is it "classified info"?..image

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My selection of Tippett over Thomas is just based on what I have read and the interviews I've heard this week from some of the HOF voters. >>

Jason, Where do you read these interviews at? Is it on the web or is it "classified info"?..image

Dave >>

You can google search the news section for a few. Others you have to go to each HOF voters newspaper or website. I think the HOF site lists them all by name, you just have to find out who they work for, it's not "classified", but does take a little leg work. They are all media members and the majority write columns for their local affiliates. Lastly, for interviews you can listen to many of the talk radio broadcast stations from across the country on the web. If you have Sirious Radio, the NFL channel(Channel 124) is a must. They have nothing but NFL talk and typically have a ton of inside interviews.

I also get "heads up" e-mails on HOF info around this time from a couple of guys I've done business with in the past. They have helped me acquire much of the old game footage that I have in my collection. Neither is a voter, but one of them works in Canton.image...

Jason
  • Options
    So I just got the e-mail from PSA about additions to the Modern HOF Rookies set, and sent in my reply with the names of the players I felt were worthy. But I got an e-mail from PSA stating that I had to either vote for all these players or none of them. I don't understand this. It's never worked this way before. ???

Hello Everybody,

A fellow registry member has made a request for the 9 players and cards listed below along with suggested weights for each player to be added to the Football Future HOF Rookie Players - Modern set.

Ken Stabler 1973 Topps#487 - Suggested Wt. 8
    Randy Gradishar 1976 Topps#257 – Suggested Wt. 2
    Andre Tippett 1984 Topps#143 – Suggested Wt. 1
    Ruben Brown 1995 Finest#212 – Suggested Wt. 1
    Warren Sapp 1995 SP#99 – Suggested Wt. 1
    Terrell Owens 1996 SP#7 – Suggested Wt. 5
    Walter Jones 1997 SP Authentic#6 – Suggested Wt. 1
    Randy Moss 1998 SP Authentic#18 – Suggested Wt. 7
    Alan Faneca 2002 Upper Deck XL# Suggested Wt. 1

In consideration to all of the registrants in this category, we would like to poll you on this request.

1. Yes, allow these cards with the suggested weights in the set

or

2. No, do not allow these cards.

Please reply with either a YES or NO vote.

Thank you,

Gayle Kean
    Collectors Universe
    949-567-1234
    949-833-7660 fax
  • Options
    i got an email about the poll to add new cards to the Football Future HOF Rookie Players - Modern set.

how is the stabler weighted an 8 yet the moss a 7? granted i havent been following stabler sales but in the latest smr both the moss and stabler have the same value. i find it hard to belive that with the season that moss and patriots are having that his rc has gotten hotter than is reflected in the smr. as much as i would like to vote yes to add the cards i find it hard to with the weights that are present. maybe i missed the chat when weights were discussed.

please enlighten me so i can make an informed vote.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    I bet they lumped them all together becasue they "knew" we had a thread about it and came to this conclusion....

I can't vote since I deleted all my set's except the HOF RC...image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Tippett will need to be added to the HOF set anyway..image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>i got an email about the poll to add new cards to the Football Future HOF Rookie Players - Modern set.

how is the stabler weighted an 8 yet the moss a 7? granted i havent been following stabler sales but in the latest smr both the moss and stabler have the same value. i find it hard to belive that with the season that moss and patriots are having that his rc has gotten hotter than is reflected in the smr. as much as i would like to vote yes to add the cards i find it hard to with the weights that are present. maybe i missed the chat when weights were discussed.

please enlighten me so i can make an informed vote. >>

The weights on this set are based on PSA 9 prices. Simply because the majority of cards on the set are less than $10 in PSA 8 form. PSA 9 Stabler's sell for much higher than PSA 9 Moss.

That being said, I have updated weighting for the ENTIRE SET ready to go to PSA. I am awaiting approval from Joe O. for my new weights on the NFL HOF RC set first. Reason being is that I did not use SMR this time, but rather ACTUAL REALIZED PRICES from VCP pre-90s and from my own tracking sheet 1990-present. Based the Tom Brady going up so much, some of the bigger weighted cards (like Manning, Stabler and Rice) are going to go down in weighting.

Don't worry about the weights, I update them for the HOF and Key Card sets (at least the ones that I collect) every January. If PSA doesn;t buy off on my realized pricing weights, then we will go back strictly SMR.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>So I just got the e-mail from PSA about additions to the Modern HOF Rookies set, and sent in my reply with the names of the players I felt were worthy. But I got an e-mail from PSA stating that I had to either vote for all these players or none of them. I don't understand this. It's never worked this way before. ??? >>

This SHOULD BE Individual voting as always. Either hold off on your vote or continue voting for each individual. I will get back with Gayle to try and find out what's up. This WILL NOT be an ALL OR NOTHING vote...Worse case, I will have her recall this poll and send out a separate poll for each individual person. I thought having the players numbered would make things easier, but there is a disconnect somewhere.

Jason
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the writers that think a special teams player should never get in have ever watched an entire football game.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if the writers that think a special teams player should never get in have ever watched an entire football game.

Joe >>

The argument that I always hear used is that why vote for a player who only steps foot on the field 5-6 times per game when you have others HOF candidates that played every offensive or defensive down, scored TDs, made sacks, catches, yards, INTs, etc...

I kinda see that point, but at the same time, if you have a player that was so above and beyond the average player at the position..How can you not put that player in the HOF?

Jason
  • Options
    Ray Guy gets a lot of love (from everyone except HOF voters), but I confess to having seen little to no game footage of him. Was he really THAT much better than pretty much any other punter who's ever played the game? Or does rhe Raiders mystique and 1st round pick spent on him weigh too heavily?
  • Options

<< <i>Ray Guy gets a lot of love (from everyone except HOF voters), but I confess to having seen little to no game footage of him. Was he really THAT much better than pretty much any other punter who's ever played the game? Or does rhe Raiders mystique and 1st round pick spent on him weigh too heavily? >>

All-time? I wouldn't go that far..Best of his era? Yes, I would say so. Jerrell Wilson, who also played during the 70's wasn't that too far behind him...

Guy was a career 42.4 average and had a 62.1% Touchback:Inside the 20 success..(128 Touchbacks, 210 Inside the 20)

Compare him with Sean Landeta...43.3 career average and had a 69.7% Touchback:Inside the 20 success..(166 Touchbacks, 381 Inside the 20)

These are the reason's Guy isn't in,and once again won't get close. Punter is just too tough to quantify what is HOF material and what isn't. If we ever have a guy average 50+ a year for 5-10 years, we might have our first HOFer.

Jason
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I watched a lot of Raiders back then, and yes he was that much better than everyone else. I even recently watched a Raiders game from 1982, and he he's still better than anyone who plays today. It's not just his average, but his aim, his legendary hang time, his quick release, and the intangibles - like a play where the snap was way over his head, but he leapt, brought the ball down with one hand, and still got the kick off. Ray Guy IS punting, and he belongs in the HOF.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options

<< <i>I watched a lot of Raiders back then, and yes he was that much better than everyone else. I even recently watched a Raiders game from 1982, and he he's still better than anyone who plays today. It's not just his average, but his aim, his legendary hang time, his quick release, and the intangibles - like a play where the snap was way over his head, but he leapt, brought the ball down with one hand, and still got the kick off. Ray Guy IS punting, and he belongs in the HOF.

Joe >>

I JUST watched that same highlight the other day..Where Guy one hands the ball, literally 10+ feet in the air, comes back down and gets the punt off...He was a GREAT athlete and probably could have played other positions...

As in my previous post, Punters are just so hard to quantify...You can't look at the numbers and determine who was the best. It's all about how they affected the game. And Guy most certainly placed the punts in the right spot at the right time. Think of him as the Adam Vinatieri of punting. Vinatieri doesn't have the huge numbers like Stenerud or the Anderson's, but its all about WHEN he made his kicks and how he affected outcomes that he is usually mentioned as one of the best kickers ever, and HOF material. Guy pinned teams back at crucial spots in the game. He helped the Raiders win the battle of field position that pushed them to not only 6 straight AFC Championships in the 70s, but he was also with the team during the 2 80's Super Bowl wins..

Jason

• Options

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    In addition to all that was said about Ray Guy...all true....I can't remember how many bad snaps he saved. He would catch a bouncing bad snap like a shortstop and get the punt off. Many a many times I saw him take that bad snap and run for a first down.....unlike any punter I have ever seen. Also, he was the 3rd string QB...saving a player position...and took game snaps as the QB. He did an admirable job. He didn't have a great arm..but knew the plays and could bring a team down the field. Taking the MVP voting criteria....take away ray guy from the raiders..an I don't think they would have had the great success they had. Other punters were good...he still stands in a class by himself.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets