Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Jason,
    I'm sorry. I thought that was a list of all actives, not just 2001 and later. My bad.

Question for the board. What percentage that Bettis gets in on his first try, with all of the compeition he will face?

Mark >>

IMO, zero chance on first try.

Deion Sanders
    Marshall Faulk
    Willie Roaf

All 3 first ballot locks....Curtis Martin and Bettis will fight for votes, and I think Martin will get the slight edge over Bettis. With only 5 slots available for modern guys now, it would be unprecedented to have all 5 be first ballot. I'd say 50/50 that Curtis Martin makes it first ballot as well. In the past 30 years of HOF voting, we've never had a class with more than 3 first ballot guys..COULD be the first with 4, no chance we'll see 5 of 5 first ballot guys go in, with 3 of them at the same position (RB).

I can't imagine Jerome will have to wait more than a year or 2 though. 2012 and 2013 are looking fairly weak. Will Shields being the top 2012 guy right now, and Warren Sapp being the top 2013. Neither is first ballot material.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Larry Allen to retire......Countdown to HOF begins..His RC seems to be one of the tougher modern to find. Glad I have my PSA 9.....

LOS ANGELES (TICKER) -- San Francisco 49ers guard Larry Allen is expected to announce his retirement after 14 seasons, according to a report on the NFL Network on Thursday.
    One of the strongest lineman to ever play the game, the 6-3, 325-pound Allen has appeared in 11 Pro Bowls in his illustrious career.
    A virtual lock for the Hall of Fame, Allen played most of his career with the Dallas Cowboys after being selected out of Sonoma State in the second round of the 1994 draft.
    After 12 standout seasons with the Cowboys, he was released by the team in March 2006.
    Allen is one of three players in NFL history - along with Chris Hinton and Bruce Matthews - to be selected to the Pro Bowl at more than one offensive line position.
    He won a Super Bowl with the Cowboys in 1995 and also was part of four teams that won NFC East titles.

The report of Allen's retirement comes one day after San Francisco received a big boost with the hiring of former Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz to awaken an offense that finished last in the league in a number of categories, including points and yards per game.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Larry Allen to retire......Countdown to HOF begins..His RC seems to be one of the tougher modern to find. Glad I have my PSA 9.....

LOS ANGELES (TICKER) -- San Francisco 49ers guard Larry Allen is expected to announce his retirement after 14 seasons, according to a report on the NFL Network on Thursday.
    One of the strongest lineman to ever play the game, the 6-3, 325-pound Allen has appeared in 11 Pro Bowls in his illustrious career.
    A virtual lock for the Hall of Fame, Allen played most of his career with the Dallas Cowboys after being selected out of Sonoma State in the second round of the 1994 draft.
    After 12 standout seasons with the Cowboys, he was released by the team in March 2006.
    Allen is one of three players in NFL history - along with Chris Hinton and Bruce Matthews - to be selected to the Pro Bowl at more than one offensive line position.
    He won a Super Bowl with the Cowboys in 1995 and also was part of four teams that won NFC East titles.

The report of Allen's retirement comes one day after San Francisco received a big boost with the hiring of former Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz to awaken an offense that finished last in the league in a number of categories, including points and yards per game. >>

Yeah, that story came out over a week ago and still no announcement/press conference anything. He will be a 2013 candidate and immediate become the #1 guy eligible that year. One of the All-Time Great OG's in NFL History...Even made All-Pro as a Tackle one year after moving there because of injury.

Those 1994 Playoff are tough..

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Jason,

How much does a 2001 PSA 9 Topps Chrome Tomlinson normally sell for? I picked one up on E-Bay last night for $185..which I thought was reasonable.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options

<< <i>Jason,

How much does a 2001 PSA 9 Topps Chrome Tomlinson normally sell for? I picked one up on E-Bay last night for $185..which I thought was reasonable.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

I believe $200-$250 is the usual going rate. $185 is descent price. I think I saw one listed yesterday with a $285 BIN/OBO, is that the same one?

I paid $600 for my PSA 10, then like 2 weeks later got my PSA grades back and got another PSA 10, which I then sold for same $600..lol

Jason
  • Options
    Thanks Jason. The card appears to be well centered - so it may be a review candidate.

PSA 10's seem to be tough in the 2001 Topps Chrome set. It seems that the centering is surpisingly tough for that set.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Jason,

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

I believe $200-$250 is the usual going rate. $185 is descent price. I think I saw one listed yesterday with a $285 BIN/OBO, is that the same one?

I paid $600 for my PSA 10, then like 2 weeks later got my PSA grades back and got another PSA 10, which I then sold for same $600..lol

Jason >>

No - the one I bought was an E-Bay auction. I'm still surprised that I won @ $185. My max bid was ~$200.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    boy those have really tanked....I remember when the going rate was about 300..

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>boy those have really tanked....I remember when the going rate was about 300..

Dave >>

Well, I think for the 9's its a couple of things..

#1, Many of the Future HOF collectors already have them..
    #2, the POP has gone WAY up on PSA 9's..
    #3, well its a modern 9...Only a few 10's, I think they will hold descent value as the supply dries up. Only /999 produced and a lot of them, as Greg stated, are way OC.
    #4, LT had an off year by his standards, bumped out of the playoffs yet again.

Jason
  • Options
    Question for you guys. Is there a factory crimp in the 1968 Bob Griese RC? I've purchased four of these and all four have a had a crimp. Coincidence or fact.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>boy those have really tanked....I remember when the going rate was about 300.. >>

Maybe because Tomlinson tanked in the playoffs. I lost an immense amount of respect for him this year. He's the consummate non team player.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>boy those have really tanked....I remember when the going rate was about 300.. >>

Maybe because Tomlinson tanked in the playoffs. I lost an immense amount of respect for him this year. He's the consummate non team player. >>

I just read an article by Bill Simmons of ESPN on this. This is two years in a row now where he has acted like a crybaby quite a bit. He mentioned that only LDT knows his body, but he sort of questioned his heart by not getting out there, especially when his QB was playing with a torn ACL. Even on the sidelines during the NE game, he just moped around, didn't give any help/guidance to the other players.

He mentioned the 'real' LT would never sit on the sidelines during a Championship game...
  • Options
    I never quite understood the guys who were putting Tomlinson in the All-Time Top RB rankings anyway...Long way to go IMO...

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>I haven't done any ebay watching of these really, because for whatever reason many of these cards have very few graded and they haven't been any on ebay the last few weeks.

Jason,

As I've mentioned on here before, this is really the years when BGS has taken away a lot of cards from PSA in terms of grading. I was checking the populations on 2006 Leinart Exquisite RC and 12 have been graded by BGS, only 1 by PSA. I know this is only one card, but I think it is indicative of what you'll find as the HOF RC set creeps up closer to the 2000 RCs. I think the set will still be OK if you plan to use the Chrome as the RC for the set, as there are plenty of these out there and the 9s and 10s are plentiful as well. Personally, I will still probably be working on the set as it exists today when those guys are eligible, I still have about 75% to go. image
  • Options
    FYI - I no longer own the PSA 9 Willie Brown. I'll leave the bragging rights to the proud papa (if he wants to post publicly).

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>I just read an article by Bill Simmons of ESPN on this. This is two years in a row now where he has acted like a crybaby quite a bit. He mentioned that only LDT knows his body, but he sort of questioned his heart by not getting out there, especially when his QB was playing with a torn ACL. Even on the sidelines during the NE game, he just moped around, didn't give any help/guidance to the other players. >>

I saw it too, and I LOVED it. Simmons called out Tiki too. Tomlinson and Tiki, two of my absolute favorite running backs prior to the end of last season, can now both kiss my a$$. Can't stand either one any more.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>

I saw it too, and I LOVED it. Simmons called out Tiki too. Tomlinson and Tiki, two of my absolute favorite running backs prior to the end of last season, can now both kiss my a$$. Can't stand either one any more. >>

Finally, you've come to your senses...lol
  • Options

<< <i>Finally, you've come to your senses...lol >>

Well, love the player, hate the person. Who would have thought that the 2007-08 Giant running attack of Jacobs, Ward (now on IR) and Bradshaw with a sprinkling of Droughns would be better than what they had last year? The G-Men have just been such a pleasant surprise this year in so many facets. Strahan has had an unforseen rebirth. Eli's FINALLY maturing right before our eyes. Even the franchise-long achilles heal that is the Giants secondary has stepped it up. All reasons to be excited about the Super Bowl! image
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Eli's FINALLY maturing right before our eyes. >>

Eli's maturation is directly related to the absence of the immature and selfish Jeremy Shockey. It will be interesting to see if Reese decides to jetison Shockey in the off season. He would fetch a nice price and the G-men are well under the cap! I'm sure it would be easy enough to find a solid blocking TE and leave the pass catching TE spot to Boss (too bad he can't block!).
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>Question for you guys. Is there a factory crimp in the 1968 Bob Griese RC? I've purchased four of these and all four have a had a crimp. Coincidence or fact. >>

I've owned 3 (PSA 6, 7 & 8) and none showed that.

Greg - I sold an LT Chrome PSA 9 about 2 weeks ago for $287.50 on best offer. After they tanked in the playoffs and he did absolutely nothing (including play in the AFC Champ game) his stuff tanked. I now have a PSA 8 and 9 on their way back from PSA again. I agree with the other poster too, BGS defintely has PSA killed in the graded market for these numbered and/or high profile rc's Post-Y2K. If you want any of them already graded, you'll have to look hard at bgs holders for them. I bought two Tomlinsons raw (The 8 & 9) and my other 9 was a BGS 9 I paid $250 for then crossed. It's probably a 10 and I should have cracked it out and tried again...oh well. I've not seen much in the way of centering problems on the LT, I've owned several. Some of the other guys (Wayne, Brees, Smith and Vick) I've seen that problem with however.

Congrats on the sale of your Willie. image
  • Options
    Alstott officially announced his retirement today, which got me thinking. Now I know he is not a HOF candidate, but if he were, would he be eligible in 4 or 5 years? He was on IR for the entire season.
  • Options

<< <i>Alstott officially announced his retirement today, which got me thinking. Now I know he is not a HOF candidate, but if he were, would he be eligible in 4 or 5 years? He was on IR for the entire season. >>

I think 4 years. He would have to be active in at least 1 game for him to be considered "having played" for that season.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    That's what I was thinking Greg. I wasn't sure if it would matter if a player was on the roster but did not take the field.
  • Options

<< <i>Alstott officially announced his retirement today, which got me thinking. Now I know he is not a HOF candidate, but if he were, would he be eligible in 4 or 5 years? He was on IR for the entire season. >>

2012 for Alstott. The discerning factor being that he was not on any active roster during the 2007 season, which means 2006 was officially his last season. Which makes him 2012 eligible. If any Full Back ever gets in again, I would have to think Alstott would be the choice.

Corey Dillon will also be 2012 if he never plays again...Rod Smith on the other hand, I believe was initially on the PUP list to start this season, so he would not get the retroactive year if he's done. But i'm not positive on that, haven't looked into it just going off memory on Smith...None of these guys will ever get in anyway but all will at least be candidates (nominated).

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>

I think 4 years. He would have to be active in at least 1 game for him to be considered "having played" for that season.

Regards,

Greg M. >>

I think the key verbage is active roster. It doesn't matter if he plays or not. If the player is on I.R. for an entire season and never part of the active roster then that season doesn't count. Recent examples of a guy who didn't play during a season that counted and made him wait longer for HOF election was Tony Boselli. Although he ended up on I.R. his last season, he was either on the PUP list or on the active roster at some point before going on I.R. in 2002, but never played a down his last season. 2008 was his first year of HOF eligibility.

I'll see if I can find the actual HOF rule/regulation..I've got it somewhere..

Jason

• Options

<< <i>If any Full Back ever gets in again, I would have to think Alstott would be the choice. >>

What about Lorenzo Neal?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If any Full Back ever gets in again, I would have to think Alstott would be the choice. >>

What about Lorenzo Neal? >>

Alstott-11 seasons, 6 Pro Bowls, 3 First Team All-Pro, 7371 yds, 71 TDs---1 Super Bowl Ring

Neal- 15 seasons, 4 Pro Bowls, 2 First Team All-Pro, 1833 total yds, 18 TDs

I'd say Larry Centers has a better shot than Neal...

Most likely, non of these guys will ever get in. The position has just become mostly unimportant.

Jason
  • Options
    I doubt any of them get in either, but if I needed a true fullback, I'd pick Neal over the other two. And, I'd bet my running back would gain 1200 yards behind him image
  • Options
    Best pure FB's of recent history....Tom Rathman and Darryl Johnson come to mind. Ok rushers. Excellent Pass receivers. And either could take a LBs head off when necessary. Neither will get a sniff at the hall nor should they but they were great to watch
    David
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    I didn't know we were drafting...lol.. I thought we were talking HOF credentials...If drafting, I'd take Moose Johnston and Rathman over Neal if I HAD to draft a FB...Honestly, I'd probably take a 3rd WR instead and go with a one back set. Jim Brown didn't need a FB. image

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but John Lynch was recently added to the Pro Bowl as an injury replacement. That makes 9 Pro Bowls for him, and I think solidifies him as a HOF lock.

Only 4 players who are currently eligible for the HOF have had 9+ Pro Bowls and not gotten in. 2 of them are going to get in, the other 2 are now senior candidates.

Randall McDaniel- 12
    Derrick Thomas- 9
    Chris Hanburger- 9
    Maxie Baughn- 9

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>Not sure if anyone else noticed, but John Lynch was recently added to the Pro Bowl as an injury replacement. That makes 9 Pro Bowls for him, and I think solidifies him as a HOF lock. >>

I was wondering if being named as a Pro Bowl replacement added to the official number of Pro Bowls, but I guess this answers my question. I can't believe Jeff Garcia made it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Not sure if anyone else noticed, but John Lynch was recently added to the Pro Bowl as an injury replacement. That makes 9 Pro Bowls for him, and I think solidifies him as a HOF lock. >>

I was wondering if being named as a Pro Bowl replacement added to the official number of Pro Bowls, but I guess this answers my question. I can't believe Jeff Garcia made it. >>

It's actually Jeff Garcia's FOURTH Pro Bowl.. Only active QB's with more: Brett Favre (9), Peyton Manning (8), Donovan McNabb (5)...That's it...

Surprising to me as well...He has the same number as Tom Brady in only one more year of service. More than every other active QB in the league last year...

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I was wondering if being named as a Pro Bowl replacement added to the official number of Pro Bowls, but I guess this answers my question. I can't believe Jeff Garcia made it. >>

Kinda got in their backwards then? Is there a list of Pro Bowlers who made it in because of injury or like Garcia, someone did not want to go? Jason?
  • Options
    Nope, a Pro Bowl is a Pro Bowl. If a player is SELECTED to the Pro Bowl, he is officially credited with it, even if he doesn't play in the game.

Pro Bowl Alternates are only credited if they play in the game. This is the purpose for having the 1st, 2nd and 3rd alternates...The alternates are chosen the same was as the Pro Bowlers, which is via voting process.

For example, last season Tom Brady was the 1st alternate at AFC QB. Philip Rivers was selected but couldn't play due to injury. Tom Brady declined to go as 1st alternate, so Vince Young went as the 2nd alternate. Therefore, Brady did not get credit for a Pro Bowl last year. Rivers did and Vince Yound did.

Jason
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Does Roger Craig(49ers) have even a remote shot at becoming a HOFer?

Doc
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does Roger Craig(49ers) have even a remote shot at becoming a HOFer?

Doc >>

The first 1000/1000 guy
    Four Pro bowls
    Four All Pro's
    All in the 1980's
    Three Super Bowl rings.

I say he has a decent shot of 50%
  • Options
    Is the HOF announcement open to the public at the Super Bowl or do you need a press pass/media credentials? IMO they should make the annoucement a public event at the NFL Experience.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Does Roger Craig(49ers) have even a remote shot at becoming a HOFer?

Doc >>

The first 1000/1000 guy
    Four Pro bowls
    Four All Pro's
    All in the 1980's
    Three Super Bowl rings.

I say he has a decent shot of 50% >>

I agree with everything here, but would add a SHOULD be a 50% shot. He was also only a ONE TIME first team All-Pro..For whatever reason Craig has never even got a whiff of the HOF. Never ever been a semi-finalist (top 25) much less a finalist (top 15)..He's been eligible since the class of 1999. This was his 10th year on the ballot, and he's not even getting close.

I really don't understand why. If you've watched him play, he was a key cog in that great 49ers offense. He has over 13,000 yards from scrimmage and 73 TDs...He was the prototype for Ricky Watters and Marshall Faulk...At this point though, I think his only chance will be as a Senior Candidate many years down the road. He just isn't highly regarded by the HOF voters/media.

Jason
  • Options

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Just an FYI for everyone.... I will be listing my PSA 7 Goldberg RC on Ebay starting on Thursday. It will be started at .99 and be ran for 10 days... Hopefully it will coincide with his announcement of being elected to the HOF....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Is the 2001 LT refractor we have in the futuer HOF set no good for the rushing set? I just tried to add mine and it wouldnt go, noticed it wasnt a refractor style.

joe
  • Options
    I sent an e-mail to Gayle late on Friday about that Joe. It should be straightened out on Monday. She didn't realize the refractor is the base card for 2001 Topps Chrome.
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    I would have thought that Craig had gotten more consideration over the years, he's certainly deserved it. I think his problem is that he gets lost on that 49ers' team that was loaded with talent on both sides of the ball and it also had Montana/Rice.

Doc
  • Options

Though these are only scans, I was hoping to get some opinions on whether or not I should submit these two in for review. They are the only remaining cards of what was my NFL HOF Rookie set. Tough decision to part with them, but if I ever have any hope of completing my Baseball HOF set (post war) I had to narrow my focus (i.e. funds). What do you guys think? I wasn't sure if the tilt on Brown or the two soft bottom corners would prohibit a .5 bump.

Thanks in advance for your opinions

- Chris

• Options

<< <i>Though these are only scans, I was hoping to get some opinions on whether or not I should submit these two in for review. They are the only remaining cards of what was my NFL HOF Rookie set. Tough decision to part with them, but if I ever have any hope of completing my Baseball HOF set (post war) I had to narrow my focus (i.e. funds). What do you guys think? I wasn't sure if the tilt on Brown or the two soft bottom corners would prohibit a .5 bump.

Thanks in advance for your opinions

- Chris

I'd say no to both based on the scans...The Brown might be too OC T/B, plus quite a few large print spots..Not sure how PSA will treat those in the new half grade system. You should measure the centering and see what the actual % is on it. If its 60/40 or better then definitely DO send it. Let us know if the print spots is what keeps it from bumping...

The Namath certainly has the centering worthy of the higher grade, but looks to have 4 weak corners.

Just my opinion,
    Jason
  • Options

Thanks for your reply Jason.

For the Jim Brown, I measured the centering at it's worst point and came up with 63/37 (bottom/top left). For some reason it appears a little worse in the scan than it does with the card in hand. It's close, the print circles do worry me a bit, again magnified because of the scan, but combined with the centering, might not cut it.

As for the Namath, the two bottom corners def are soft. Upper right is ok, upper left is good. I guess it comes down to how PSA will handle 'visual appeal'. The centering is nice enough, but with corners being so subjective it could bump or it could be the saving grace that earned it 7 to begin with.

- Chris

• Options
    The Tomlinson card can now be added the Rushers set.
  • Options
    Yikes, the Tomlinson has a 5.0 grade weight???? That will need to be fixed..No way the card should be higher weighted than Joe Perry and Marion Motley...lol

PSA 10 Tomlinson doesn't sell as high as a PSA 8 Motley!

Jason

• Options
    I was wondering how I shot up to 11th place image
  • Options

<< <i>I was wondering how I shot up to 11th place image >>

And I'm in 1st for a couple minutes..lol

Once the weighting for the HOF RC set is approved (still waiting) I will have a base to work from as I update the other Key Card set weightings that I collect. Would be awesome to get all the set weightings to actually reflect true market prices like I'm hoping the HOF RC set will be approved for.

As always, will post here for opinions before ever sending anything to PSA requesting changes.

Jason