Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    JasP - I generally don't buy modern graded, nor am I searching for most of the current players' top rookies. Once I have a numbered rookie (or rookie parallel) of a player, he generally drops way down my "to acquire" list, although when I see a good deal on more (usually at a show or as part of a lot), I'll certainly go after it.

I think over the long haul, the price spread will disappear from rookies of similar numbering unless there is something else that really sets them apart (jersey and/or auto being the big ones).

If it does, my stacks of Fleer Gametime, Fleer Genuine, Fleer Showcase, UX Rookie FX, Pacific Prism (an absolute nightmare to find without chipping, BTW), Playoff Prestige, Vanguard, Donruss Elite, Upper Deck Ovation, Ultimate Victory, etc. will be looking good.

If it doesn't, oh well. I still paid near the floor of the then-current market on everything.

As for what things are actually selling for on eBay, Finest is beating P&P for Tomlinson, with no Chrome showing up. McNabb, Urlacher, Holt and Bailey have no activity on some of the cards that would need to be considered. Searching the names with more false positive hits (Lewis, Alexander, James) would have taken more time that I was ready to put in.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Nick all the ones you mentioned with less than 999 are already off the table...lol

when I was speaking about ebay completed austions I was particulaly tealking abou tmodern..Just look at the highest priced sales then compare those to SMR..in 90% of the cases the actual prices far exceed SMR..

As far as the moderns go, I dont own a card newer than the year 2000...I'm mainly a vintage guy with an eye for the future..There is a PSA 9 Topps Chrome Tomlinson on ebay now..Watch the ending price then compare to Finest and Pros & Prospects..Its not even close...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
    JasP - but should 9 or 10 be the key point in modern graded cards?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
    When comparing market prices, I dont know of a player that has a card that sells higher in PSA 9 when another card of the same player sells higher in 10. Obviously taking away all low serial numbered cards...

The best card typically will sell for the most in PSA 9 and PSA 10.

To answer your question though, some of the modern PSA 9s are literally worth $5...lol...So 10 is probably the best indicator..Unfortunately, no PSA 10 Tomlinson Topps Chrome cards are listed right now...I can assure you, as can others in this conversation that it sells for quite a bit more than the Finest or Pros and Prospects...Just like the PSA 9 does...

Maybe someone can invent VSA, and they can tell us the true "most valuable" cards of these players...That way we stop wasting time worrying about it....

Like I said before, I doubt I will buy anything dated 2001-present until the card is actually added to the Registry in a set that I collect. Thats my way of knowing for sure which card is the right one...

Im just glad it will never be an auto/jersey/game used gimmick card!!!lol

Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Guys,

Thanks for the congrats!

I will definately try to keep upgrading when possible.

Jason, Its a shame about getting run up on ebay. I miss being able to check out the new additions to your set.

maybe after you get back to 100 % , and add a few upgrades you can make your set public again ??

Gabbs

<< <i>Guys,

Thanks for the congrats!

I will definately try to keep upgrading when possible.

Jason, Its a shame about getting run up on ebay. I miss being able to check out the new additions to your set.

maybe after you get back to 100 % , and add a few upgrades you can make your set public again ??

Gabbs >>

That's the plan Gabbs..I'm still scanning everything and eventually the set will be re-opened. Most likely once I get back to 100% and/or done upgrading the 70's HOF cards. Those are the ones I was being run up on...

Jason
  • Jason- I'm giving fair warning. I need a Selmon PSA 9 or 10 RC. image
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Jason, I feel your pain. The difference is, I've just been losing, not getting run up on stuff intentionally, at least I don't think so, but rather getting outbid a lot more than I was when I was using my wifes account as a buying account. Maybe it's coincidence, maybe it's paranoia, I'm not sure.

I sure hope I wasn't lumped into the category of outbidding or running you up. Though I don't know how I could be as I never know what you'll pay for some items. I did notice I outbid you once or twice, but it was for cards I knew you already had and I still needed. ie. Easley PSA 9 and Munoz PSA 9. Normally I stay out of your way if it's something I know you need though. No hard feelings I hope. image

I did start using a sniping service and it has paid dividends on three occassions already. Only thing that sucks about is I don't get my credit from bigcrumbs, but I am convinced I save more by sniping than I would get in my rebate so it's a wash.

I sure love these sets. Even my wife gets interested when I get a package in the mail. Who did you get today? Is this for your HOF set? Upgrade or a new addition? How long have you been trying to get it? ...and most importantly, How much did that cost? lol

<< <i>Jason, I feel your pain. The difference is, I've just been losing, not getting run up on stuff intentionally, at least I don't think so, but rather getting outbid a lot more than I was when I was using my wifes account as a buying account. Maybe it's coincidence, maybe it's paranoia, I'm not sure.

I sure hope I wasn't lumped into the category of outbidding or running you up. Though I don't know how I could be as I never know what you'll pay for some items. I did notice I outbid you once or twice, but it was for cards I knew you already had and I still needed. ie. Easley PSA 9 and Munoz PSA 9. Normally I stay out of your way if it's something I know you need though. No hard feelings I hope. image

I did start using a sniping service and it has paid dividends on three occassions already. Only thing that sucks about is I don't get my credit from bigcrumbs, but I am convinced I save more by sniping than I would get in my rebate so it's a wash.

I sure love these sets. Even my wife gets interested when I get a package in the mail. Who did you get today? Is this for your HOF set? Upgrade or a new addition? How long have you been trying to get it? ...and most importantly, How much did that cost? lol >>

No, not you at all...I only consider it running me up if you knew what I was bidding, because you previously asked me...Then bid just up under that amount..That's running me up...Blindly bidding or sniping I dont consider running me up..As far as the Easley PSA 9 goes, I do already have it, but been trying to win one from gswass (Glenn's HOF RC set)..He a good friend of mine currently in Iraq..I've been buying for him so he'll have a nice surprise when he gets back in 2008...But only buying at set prices. He wouldn't want the Easley if I paid over $40.....lol..Hes a bargain hunter like me..Well, most of the time anyway...

Frank, I've got the 9 Selmon, so no need to worry about me if one pops up..Quite a few guys are hunting that one, so I would expect it to sell pretty well..I couldnt afford a PSA 10..lol

Jason
    Ah yes, Glenn. He's the one you won the last good PSA 9 Earl Campbell for. image Every other one since then has paled in comparison if I remember correctly.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't on the "Jasp24-Sh*tlist". lol

3 days and we get the new class. Can't wait!

-Josh
    What George Young cards are out there? Tagliabue is easy, although grading a 1/2 cent Pro Set card has to give people a bad feeling.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

• AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    George Young has a 1991 Pro Set card. Now you can grade a 1/2 cent card and a 1/10 cent card!

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
    I didn't even remember Young being in that set. But if he gets elected, it becomes a 1/2 cent card. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Luckily we won't need that card for the HOF ROOKIE PLAYER Set...lolol

All the coach cards go on the player/coach/admin...

Jason
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Luckily we won't need that card for the HOF ROOKIE PLAYER Set...lolol

Jason >>

I think George Young has a 1950 Topps Magic card that would be considered his rookie for the player/coach/admin set.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
    Is that the same George Young? I know there have been a couple associaed with the league.

Joe

<< <i>

<< <i>Luckily we won't need that card for the HOF ROOKIE PLAYER Set...lolol

Jason >>

I think George Young has a 1950 Topps Magic card that would be considered his rookie for the player/coach/admin set.

Regards,

Greg M. >>

Player/coach/admin set takes any card...Doesnt have to be a rookie specifically, although you use the rookie if you wanted to.

Jason

<< <i>Is that the same George Young? I know there have been a couple associaed with the league.

Joe >>

Joe,

I believe it's the same George young. I believe if you read his bio, it states that he went to whatever school (Bucknell??), which is the school listed on the 1950 Topps Magic card for George Young.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
    Cool! Thanks, Greg.

Joe
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Just moved up to 44th in the set. My goal is just completion in any grade. I am collecting the All-Time Packer Set so I have higher grades there. Just got a Canadeo PSA 7 from LU Champions for $300. Greg is a great guy and a huge Packer Fan.

<< <i>Just moved up to 44th in the set. My goal is just completion in any grade. I am collecting the All-Time Packer Set so I have higher grades there. Just got a Canadeo PSA 7 from LU Champions for $300. Greg is a great guy and a huge Packer Fan. >>

You've come along way with your Packers Set. Excellent job. Looks like your set will be the one to knock my retired All-Time Packers Set of the list...lol

Best of luck,
    Jason
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Nice snag on that St. Clair Jason. I've been waiting several years for a nicely centered 7. Let me know when you get an 8 and I will take the 7 off your hands....image

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    I actually already have a PSA 8, but the one from ebay is already headed to Craigzav...Otherwise I would have sold to you...

Jason
    HOFers announced:

Gene Hickerson -1966 Philly
    Roger Wehrli- 1971 Topps
    Charlie Sanders- 1971 Topps
    Thurman Thomas- 1989 Score
    Michael Irvin- 1989 Score
    Bruce Matthews- 1989 Score

I didnt do to bad on my guesses, and all 3 of my "stone cold locks" went in.

Solid class, and i knew we'd get at least one surprise, and this was Wehrli's last modern candidate shot. Look for Bob Kuechenberg to go in next year...Will be his last try as a modern candidate.

Jason

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    Well it's official, Hickerson, C. Sanders, Irvin, T. Thomas, Matthews and Wehrli are your new class of pro football HOF'ers. I must say the Wehrli pick really surprised me. As did the fact that Derrick Thomas didn't make it. There aren't many Wehrli rookie card graded ('71 Topps), including zero 9's, so there should be a LOT of competition for high-grade examples when they pop up.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    I'm dissappointed Ray Guy didn't make it again.

I have 3 that I need to get

1. 1966 Hickerson psa 7
    2. 1971 Sanders psa 7
    3. 1971 Wehrli psa 7

I still need a 72 Rayfield Wright psa 7 if anyone has an extra lying around.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Jason,

How much do you think my PSA 9 Charlie Sanders rc is worth now - Pop 3?

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
    Does anyone have an extra PSA 10 Michael Irvin for sale?

Regards,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>Jason,

Regards,

Greg M. >>

I'd say anywhere between $300-$600..You want to sell it?lol

Jason

<< <i>

<< <i>Jason,

Regards,

Greg M. >>

I'd say anywhere between $300-$600..You want to sell it?lol

Jason >>

Jason,

It's for sale for the right price image

Greg M.

References:
    Am I correct in assuming that someone has already shot an email to psa regarding the new addtions??

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    I was going to wait until Monday when Cosetta is in...I will include the correct grade weights as well.

Jason
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>I'd say anywhere between $300-$600..You want to sell it?lol

Jason >>

I would think it would go for quite a bit more than that. No?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

<< <i>

Jason >>

I would think it would go for quite a bit more than that. No? >>

Zef,

It did image

Greg M.

References:
    Congrats on the sell....I'm sure you made out very well..image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Thank you. The PSA 9 was above my collecting target, so I'd rather sell it and upgrade somewhere else. I have my eye on a beautiful Unitas PSA 8 rc.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>

<< <i>

Jason >>

I would think it would go for quite a bit more than that. No? >>

Zef,

It did image

Greg M. >>

I concur...image

Those crazy HOF RC collectors again!!!!!!

If anyone hasn't noticed, Dave Lemon has listed basically his entire NFL HOF RC collection in his ebay store. ebay ID dlemon01. Some of you might find something you need.

He's got a ton of stuff and is accepting best offers.

Jason
    Jason,

Why is Dave Lemon selling his HOF rc set? That's really too bad - he has an incredible collection.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>Jason,

Why is Dave Lemon selling his HOF rc set? That's really too bad - he has an incredible collection.

Regards,

Greg M. >>

I think he is just focusing on some other sets. He's got some great stuff no doubt...

Jason
    Thanks for the tip. I finally got a Trippi for my HOF set. Woo Hoo! image

Wish I had some extra coin laying around, he has a few others I'd love to grab right now.

BTW Greg, did you see he has a PSA 8 Tommy 'Two Five' McDonald up for sale?

..sorry, I just couldn't resist.
    I saw that - it did make me laugh...

Greg M.

References:
    Just got some new grades back from PSA...Anyone interested in purchasing/trading for any of these let me know--

HOFers:

PSA 10 1961 Fleer Don Maynard (Had a PSA 10 Jim Otto previously graded that I sold..It was 1/1)
    PSA 10 1970 Topps Elvin Bethea (Pop 2, I also had the first one graded PSA 10..lol)--------------------------no longer available----------------------------------
    PSA 10 1973 Topps Jack Ham (Pop 2)
    PSA 10 1984 Topps Howie Long------------------------no longer available-----------------------------

Future HOFer:

PSA 9 1989 Score Supplemental Dermontti Dawson

You can reach me via e-mail at jabeduco@yahoo.com.

Jason

<< <i>Just got some new grades back from PSA...Anyone interested in purchasing/trading for any of these let me know--

HOFers:

PSA 10 1961 Fleer Don Maynard (Had a PSA 10 Jim Otto previously graded that I sold..It was 1/1)
    PSA 10 1970 Topps Elvin Bethea (Pop 2, I also had the first one graded PSA 10..lol)
    PSA 10 1973 Topps Jack Ham (Pop 2)
    PSA 10 1984 Topps Howie Long

Future HOFer:

PSA 9 1989 Score Supplemental Dermontti Dawson

Jason >>

Holy crap - great grades. Where did you find those cards raw??

Regards,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>
    Holy crap - great grades. Where did you find those cards raw??

Regards,

Greg M. >>

De Oppresso Liber...lol

Jason
    Liberated you say? ...from GAI or SGC? image

...or oppressed in an undergraded PSA holder?

Very nice grades either way. Congrats!
    Ok, something new to discuss...Here's what I have for the top 5 HOF possible players at each position for the next 5 years...Some positions are really strong, and others are very weak. Count how many on this list you think will go in the HOF in the next 5 years...Your max is 20 because the 2 Seniors will likely take up 2 slots per year, not to mention coaches and/or commisioners that take up a slot. I've ranked them strongest candidate first in my opinion...

QB--Ken Stabler, Phil Simms, Ken Anderson, Randall Cunningham, Joe Theismann
    RB--Emmitt Smith, Jerome Bettis, Tiki Barber, Terrell Davis, Ricky Watters
    WR--Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, Art Monk, Tim Brown, Andre Reed
    TE--Shannon Sharpe, Todd Christensen, Ben Coates, Mark Bavaro, Steve Jordan
    OT--Willie Roaf, Gary Zimmerman, Jim Covert, Joe Jacoby, Tony Boselli
    OG--Bob Kuechenberg, Russ Grimm, Randall McDaniel, Steve Wisniewski, Chris Hinton
    OC--Dermontti Dawson, Mark Stepnoski, Kent Hull, Jeff Van Note, Jay Hilgenberg
    DE--Bruce Smith, Richard Dent, Fred Dean, Charles Haley, Chris Doleman
    DT--John Randle, Joe Klecko, Cortez Kennedy, Fred Smerlas, Michael Dean Perry (yes very weak DT crop..lol)
    LB--Derrick Thomas, Andre Tippett, Randy Gradishar, Kevin Greene, Robert Brazile
    CB--Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson, Darrell Green, Lester Hayes, Aeneas Williams
    S--Steve At-water, Leroy Butler, Donnie Shell, Kenny Easley, Joey Browner
    K/P/ST--Ray Guy, Gary Anderson, Reggie Roby, Nick Lowery, Steve Tasker

I come up with 29 I think are definitely worthy...Paring that down to my top 20 and this is what I come up with:

RB--Emmitt Smith, Jerome Bettis
    WR--Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, Art Monk, Tim Brown, Andre Reed
    TE--Shannon Sharpe
    OT--Willie Roaf, Gary Zimmerman
    OG--Bob Kuechenberg, Russ Grimm, Randall McDaniel
    OC--Dermontti Dawson
    DE--Bruce Smith
    LB--Derrick Thomas
    CB--Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson, Darrell Green
    K/P/ST--Ray Guy

Going even further to predict 4 for each class:

2008--Chris carter, Darrell Green, Derrick Thomas, Bob Kuechenberg
    2009--Bruce Smith, Rod Woodson, Shannon Sharpe, Art Monk
    2010--Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Gary Zimmerman, Russ Grimm
    2011--Deion Sanders, Willie Roaf, Jerome Bettis, Ray Guy
    2012--Tim Brown, Randall McDaniel, Andre Reed, Dermontti Dawson
    Very weak QB class coming up. Interesting you don't have 1 qb in the next 5 years. Who will be the next QB elected??

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!

<< <i>Very weak QB class coming up. Interesting you don't have 1 qb in the next 5 years. Who will be the next QB elected?? >>

I thought the exact same thing. Conceivably, the next QB could be Favre.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>

<< <i>Very weak QB class coming up. Interesting you don't have 1 qb in the next 5 years. Who will be the next QB elected?? >>

I thought the exact same thing. Conceivably, the next QB could be Favre.

Regards,

Greg M. >>

Agreed...If any go in it will be Stabler...After a few years of no QBs in the finals, I'm betting it helps Stabler's chances...Particularly as he gets closer to his last chance as a modern candidate...

Jason
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    you might have to add Sharper to the list of safeties.

tackles:564
    Asst: 164
    INts: 49 with 7 returns for TD's
    8 forced fumbles
    5 fumble recovery with 2 for TD's
    3 pro bowls
    a couple of all pro's as well
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos