Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Hey Gentlemen,

Just curious if anyone can give me their best guess as to the percentage of PSA9's that get resubbed that actually receive a 10? Is it worth it to resub some 9's in hopes of getting a 10?

Thanks,
    Doc
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Gentlemen,

Just curious if anyone can give me their best guess as to the percentage of PSA9's that get resubbed that actually receive a 10? Is it worth it to resub some 9's in hopes of getting a 10?

Thanks,
    Doc >>

All depends on the card. Some 9's are a gift and some 9's are 10's on another day. You need to also take into consideration you may damage a card too. I take it a card by card basis.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Gentlemen,

Thanks,
    Doc >>

As stated above, really depends on the quality of card you are sending in. I have gotten bumps from 9 to 10, both pop and resub as well as reviews. Some low dollar and some high dollar. Basically pick out your best and brightest PSA 9's and roll the dice. If you get one low pop bump out of 10, you will most likley have made your grading fees back and then some in value. For me, I don't pop any PSA 9's valued over $200, as it's just too risky and sometimes they will come back as PSA 8's, or even PSA 7's if you miss something. For those I do reviews.

As far as popping PSA holders, they are one of the easiest to pop, just behind SGC. If you are even coming close to damaging the card in the process, you should change the way you do it. I use a small screwdriver, one you would find in an eyglass repair kit. The tip is thin enough to fit in the gap along the edge of the card. I ONLY insert the screwdriver head along the top edge of the holder, above the PSA flip. That way, if you slip or something, you'll only damage the flip and not the card. Once there, you just rotate/turn the screwdriver so it breaks the seal along the top. Do this all along the top edge, then place the tip just inside the holder on top of the flip and lift up to pry the top piece of holder off. They peel off pretty easily 99.9% of the time. You can pop SGC holders the exact same way, and the gap along the edges is a little bigger which makes them even easier. It's the BVG/BGS holders that you run the big risk of damaging the card when opening.

Best of luck,
    Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    It's the BVG/BGS holders that you run the big risk of damaging the card when opening.

Or your hand as I have done on a few occasions with BGS!
  • Options
    Thanks for the Tunnell remark, Joe. Sometimes it's nice to raise the profile of a relative unknown. In fact, I must admit that until I began collecting vintage football cards last year, I had never heard of Emlen Tunnell. In fact, apparently I didn't even know how to pronounce his name until a couple days ago when I was watching some DVR'ed NFL Network programming. I thought it was pronounced "tunnel", like something dark you drive through. I guess it's "Tun-NELL".

In my opinion image, perhaps this set's hottest card for sale on eBay appears here. I expect that most have seen the full beauty. I think I'm smitten.

Isaacson knocked me off my #1 All-Time Eagles perch so I had to remove "#1" from my signature line at the appropriate spot.

Alright, at DaveMRI's request, here's the scan of my latest set pickup. It's not exactly my most treasured piece. However, among this set's later issues I like the look of '71s the most. Colorful and cartoonish without being over the top. Wooooo boy...full disclosure: gosh, I had never heard of Wehrli before last year either. image

• Options
    Nice looking Wehrli, well centered. Funny thing about him, you've never heard of him and I'll never forget his name. As a kid I collected complete sets and the 1973 Topps Wehrli was the very last card I needed to complete the 528 card set that year. It took me FOREVER to finally find that card. To this day I'm convinced it was a short print!!

Doc
  • Options
    I caught the tail end of Wehrli's career while becoming a fan as a kid in the late 70's early 80's. I remember him as a solid veteran DB presence, but not particularly regarded as a future HOFer. In fairness, this was not during his prime, but rather then end of his career. You would think though that upon his retirement he would have been heralded as a future HOFer as just about every guy that retires these days is called. I don't remember every hearing or reading anything of that nature. Was pretty surprised when he was enshrined in his last year as a modern candidate.

But hey, good for him. Too bad those 70's Cardinals teams couldn't do more with the talent they had. Wehrli, Larry Wilson, Dan Dierdorf, Jackie Smith..And a very underrated QB-Jim Hart. That is where Don Coryell made his splash as a head coach before moving to the Chargers (another team that should have done more with the talent they had).

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Nice Wehrli, Keith...I see you have some other new pickups that you need to post on here as well! Here is my latest:

Since I'm doing the Chicle set, this card serves a nice dual purpose.

Jasen
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    Selling the following PSA 10 rookies:

1995 SP Terrell Davis
    1997 SP Tiki Barber
    2000 SP Brian Urlacher
    2000 SP Jamal Lewis

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in anything.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    For anyone here who doesn't get the NFL HOF's emails, the following arrived today:

The Pro Football Hall of Fame’s selection process comes under great scrutiny each year by fans and media. It’s a welcome debate for sure as there are only so many spots open each year. Currently, our Board of Selectors is carefully and thoroughly evaluating the merits of 131 preliminary nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2010.

For the first time ever, we now have a forum for you to share your thoughts and opinions on who is worthy for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Our partners JCPenney and Van Heusen have created a website just for the fans!

Tell us who needs a spot in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The cut down to 25 semifinalists is coming Thanksgiving Weekend. So, don’t delay. Vote today at www.jcp.com/fans!

IMO this would make the most difference on keeping people in the cutdown to 25 (e.g., Cortez Kennedy, who I'll be pushing for).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    The fan vote has been out for a couple months now. If you look at the current results, you can see that they have essentially been deemed worthless due to someone stuffing the ballot box for Otho Davis, who is sitting at #5 in the voting right now. This is why fan voting never works. All it takes is one guy with a skewed agenda and you can render that voting useless.

If you feel the need to push someone, your best bet is to e-mail the HOF voters or set up a petition that you can forward to them. I can tell you that ex-players and owners make pushes of their own that FAR outweight anything that comes from the fans. And I am thankful for that. otherwise, we might see Otho Davis get elected before some far more deserving candidates.

Jason
  • Options
    Jasen C., that's a fine-looking Battles that you added there so congratulations on the new addition! '35 Chicles have that inherently great design, and you procured an example that appears to have nice, bright borders and probably some terrificly square corners reflected in the lofty NM-MT '8' grade. That's cool that it serves well in two registries for you. My Battles 7 won from the same Mile High auction rolled in this week. Thanks for sharing your scan.

If I had to choose another Registry Set to start today, it would undoubtedly be the 1935 National Chicle Football Set.

Another Chicle card that I won from the Mile High auction appears below. Once I saw this card offered, I was interested immediately. It's remarkable how bright this card design is compared to some other Chicles. Another thing that makes the Dutch Clark rookie card special and uber-cool is the fact that it's the First Card of the First Nationally Distributed Football Set. I guess the fact that this player also happens to be a HOFer and additionally is represented on a colorful card produces little wonder as to why it's immensely popular.

"Football cards are my fantasy football". Hmmmm...I might have to make that my new signature line. -Keith

• Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful Dutch!!! One of my favorite cards in my set is my PSA 6 I got at the national a few years ago.

Here is a game used uni from the Football HOF.....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    looks like Dutch's nice blue jersey has faded a bit over the years!!
  • Options
    Dave, thanks for sharing that cool photo of the Dutch Clark uniform at The Hall. As much as I like my new Dutch 7, I would trade it right now for that GU uni! image I checked your Registry Set to see your Dutch and it's attractive too.

There's one thing that I'm lost about with Dutch Clark. The reverse of his (beautiful) 1935 National Chicle card reads "...by great field goal kickers like Dutch Clark of the Philadelphia Eagles...". My cursory search led to no affiliation between Dutch and my beloved Eagles. Is the statement on the back of the card an (uncorrected) error or did Dutch spend time as an Eagle?

• Options
    The Portsmouth Spartans were the predecessor to the Detroit Lions.....I wonder if their colors were Blue and Silver like they still are today. That would explain the jersey color difference

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Here is my Dutch....I think I bought it from Rick...

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Portsmouth Spartans were the predecessor to the Detroit Lions.....I wonder if their colors were Blue and Silver like they still are today. That would explain the jersey color difference >>

--------------------------------------------------------
    Glenn Presnell is credited with choosing the Lions Honolulu Blue Uniforms. When he signed with the Lions after Portsmouth he was asked to pick a uniform from a bunch of different colored ones, and he liked the hon. blue and silver...and the rest is Lions history....

By the way.. he could be a potential future Senior HOF Inductee someday.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Hey Ryan, long time no see....checked out your photobucket items...NICE CARDS!!! are you still by me or have you officially relocated??? see you soon, believe Parma hosts Forge in December. al.
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Ryan, long time no see....checked out your photobucket items...NICE CARDS!!! are you still by me or have you officially relocated??? see you soon, believe Parma hosts Forge in December. al. >>

---------------------------------------------
    Hi Al,
    Yeah, I thought I might bump into you at a football game this past fall season. Thanks, besides my kids, the collection is my pride and joy. Of course my collection is not allowing much growth in the kids college funds! Yes, I am still by you.....not sure for how long though...with our schools situation. See you at the bball games!

Ryan
  • Options
    WOW, this thread has been going on for a long time!!
  • Options

<< <i>WOW, this thread has been going on for a long time!! >>

Yep, Football HOF RC collectors DO NOT PLAY! Many of us have been on the set on the Registry for close to 7 years now...

Jason
  • Options
    Well, I'm still not sure but I'm figuring that the Philadelphia Eagles reference on the reverse of the wonderful Dutch Clark card could be an uncorrected error.

<< <i>

<< <i>WOW, this thread has been going on for a long time!! >>

Yep, Football HOF RC collectors DO NOT PLAY! Many of us have been on the set on the Registry for close to 7 years now...

Jason >>

Sheesh, I didn't realize so many have been active registrants on this set for around 6-7 years. I see that JasP, Glenn, Dapcards, DaveMRI, VJ Steele, and Brian Dickerson all have - and that's just among the Top 20. Impressive fellas! Geez, am I a Johnny-Come-Lately or what? image

Does anyone care to opine on whether or not the #1 Set, Fight4oldDC, will ever attain a Set Rating of 9.00?
  • Options
    bump
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey Ryan, long time no see....checked out your photobucket items...NICE CARDS!!! are you still by me or have you officially relocated??? see you soon, believe Parma hosts Forge in December. al. >>

---------------------------------------------
    Hi Al,
    Yeah, I thought I might bump into you at a football game this past fall season. Thanks, besides my kids, the collection is my pride and joy. Of course my collection is not allowing much growth in the kids college funds! Yes, I am still by you.....not sure for how long though...with our schools situation. See you at the bball games!

Ryan >>

My son skipped football this year to concentrate on basketball. Most of the sophomore class also didn't play....believe my son said that only four kids from last years freshman team played this year....only good thing is that most are coming back as juniors so hopefully they will be more competitive...they like the new coach.
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone care to opine on whether or not the #1 Set, Fight4oldDC, will ever attain a Set Rating of 9.00? >>

It depends on how active he stays. I know of at least 3 cards that he did not purchase (more than likely due to price). (PSA 8 Luckman, PSA 8 Bednarik, PSA 10 Lenny MOore)

There may be others as well.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Sheesh, I didn't realize so many have been active registrants on this set for around 6-7 years. I see that JasP, Glenn, Dapcards, DaveMRI, VJ Steele, and Brian Dickerson all have - and that's just among the Top 20. Impressive fellas! Geez, am I a Johnny-Come-Lately or what?
    >>

Link to Football HOF RC set from January 2003.

I think this is the month the set went live.
    I was at 12 percent complete!!!

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Wow, only 170 cards needed back then! We've come a long way.

Doc
  • Options
    I've participated in the 1984 Donruss thread, this one puts that one to shame....image
  • Options
    I can't help but laugh everytime i see those old saved webpages from 2003..lol..i think i have the oldest, active still continuing set, with a publish date of 1/29/2003!

I started collecting the PSA graded HOF RC's back in 1999. So I hit my 10 year anniversary just a couple months ago. I've morphed and transitioned and made changes along the way, card in, cards out, buy/sell/trade...But regardless, my love for the set has not waivered. At this point I couldn't imagine not owning this set.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>I've participated in the 1984 Donruss thread, this one puts that one to shame.... >>

So....You gonna start this set or what? image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    That's funny.....I was @ 7% back then. Now I am over 90%. Just got a sub in today. A couple of upgrades for my sets.
    EXCELLENT 5 1952 BOWMAN SMALL 60 BILL McCOLL
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1955 BOWMAN 36 DICK STANFEL
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1964 TOPPS 159 JOHN HADL
    NEAR MINT 7 1967 PHILADELPHIA 130 DAVE WHITSELL
    NEAR MINT 7 1967 PHILADELPHIA 183 CHRIS HANBURGER
    NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1970 TOPPS 25 JAN STENERUD
    NEAR MINT+ 7.5 1970 TOPPS 72 HAROLD JACKSON
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1970 TOPPS 75 LEM BARNEY
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1970 TOPPS 75 LEM BARNEY T-B off a little on this one
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1970 TOPPS 95 RICH JACKSON
    MINT 9 2002 TOPPS CHROME 178 ALEX BROWN

I also sent in a 71 Charlie Sanders. Came back N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT. The wierd thing is I have another one I have sent in 3 times. Every time same thing minsize. So I send in another one I picked up recently and then this is what I get. Is this a common issue for 71's?

Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I've participated in the 1984 Donruss thread, this one puts that one to shame.... >>

So....You gonna start this set or what? image >>

I previously started and almost finished the set....look under al and sandy's sets....I had to retire it and then sold off the cards due to financial pressures...better known as childrenimage Hadn't checked for awhile but it's still 7th overall...I also had many contributions to the thread over the years, and still do chime in periodically. Best chance for a restart for me on this set would be in about 8 years when my son will be out of college and my daughter almost done.
  • Options
    Almost forgot....I'll leave the HOF Football Rookies set to Big Daddy!!! al.
  • Options
    It was announced last week that the NFLPA declined to renew Topps' license for football cards after this year. As you can imagine, this has the potential for a major impact on this set, with the proliferation of low-numbered, jersey/auto rookie cards predominant from other companies. Jason has noted in the past that, if nothing else, there would be a base Topps card that is unnumbered, non-jersey, un-auto'd that we could use as a player's RC for this set. Unfortunately, this no longer appears to be the case. While this will help cut down on the number of sets which have overrun the hobby in the last 10-15 years, I am of the opinion that this is a negative for the hobby, as it cuts out some of the more popular sets, including the hobby-staple base Topps set, the Bowman set and the Topps Chrome set. A hobby legend for 50+ years bites the dust.....feels kinda sad. image

Jasen
  • Options
    Yeah, that kinda sucks....the Topps chrome cards seem to be good cards to pick from. We will just have see what UD will have to offer. Luckily, we wont have to worry about that for quite a few years down the road....

Dave

PS....GO COLTS!!!!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    << Does anyone care to opine on whether or not the #1 Set, Fight4oldDC, will ever attain a Set Rating of 9.00? >>

It depends on how active he stays. I know of at least 3 cards that he did not purchase (more than likely due to price). (PSA 8 Luckman, PSA 8 Bednarik, PSA 10 Lenny MOore)

There may be others as well.

It is probably a very strong sign for the football card hobby that there's a number of strong buyers (not just a few) snatching up the very strong examples in the hobby. Great! I'm unsure whom the buyers of the Bednarik 8 and Lenny Moore 10 RCs are.

Dave, the Web Archive link that you provided to the 2003 incarnation of our set was terrific. I looked at it for a while. Thanks! It's remarkable how it's gone from 15 active sets to 100 active sets in just six or seven years. Stellar stuff. -Keith

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Guys, Just wanted to say hello, I have decided to start this set. I am building the Baseball Post War HOFers set, and have been following this thread for a while, and just seems like the time is right to add Football HOFers to my collection as well.
  • Options
    Matt, it's terrific to have you here! I checked out your entry point and I started you off by leaving a comment right in your set. You've got a nice start with good-looking 9s of Walter Payton and Joe Montana already. It ought to be great fun. I've enjoyed your high rate of activity in posting scans and comments on other threads. Welcome to the Cool Kids Club. Not that I'm one of the cool kids, but somehow they briefly relaxed their application criteria and let me in earlier this year. image

I recently bought about a dozen Type I (developed directly from the negative) vintage sports photos from a recent Legendary auction. All the photos bought depict upper echelon players from our set - Red Grange and Otto Graham. My favorite photo bought appears below. It actually happens to be an off-the-field photo rather than one from between the lines.

• Options
    I have a few cards from this set for sale if anyone is interested:

PSA 8 '63 Alworth
    PSA 8 '67 J. Smith (Dead centered)
    PSA 9 '70 Page
    PSA 9 '73 Langer
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    For anyone who may be interested, the new (JAN 2010) SMR MAG is now available online, and there is an article about our All-American "find" that details most everything, check it out:

http://www.psacard.com/smrweb/backissues/smr0110/55topps.chtml

These are the 7 different All-Americans from the HOF Rookie Set:

• Options
    A PSA 10 1 of 1 HOF RC up for auction....

Wonder what it will bring?

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Wonder what it will bring? >>

A lot more than it's really worth.
  • Options
    FYI for all

Saturday at 1pm.......NFL network

HOF narrows selection down to 33 finalist's. I already have my DVR set to record.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I thought it was 25 finalists?
  • Options
    From the NFL network site

Saturdays schedule.....See 1pm

Episode #2. The list of hopefuls is narrowed down to 33, as all eye a spot in the 2010 induction class

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Some drool-inducing '55 Topps All-Americans there, capped by that t-e-r-r-i-f-i-c looking Hutson! Thanks for sharing those here.

Yeah, I've got bids in on quite a few of those Heroes Of Sport auction cards. I'm leading a bunch of them too, which means almost exactly nothing with fifteen days to go. image

Dave, thanks for the reminder about the NFL Network's programming about the next Hall Of Fame class. My DVR will be set. I enjoyed the first part of the series a while back. For me, my "exclusivity" dream is that when I watch the last show in the series they'll pleasantly surprise me by changing their policy, tightening the criteria, and announcing that there will only be two inductees for next class. Indeed, that will be no more than a dream of mine. *LQTM!

*LQTM = Laughing Quietly To Myself. That's what someone is really doing when they write "LOL". image -Keith

• Options
    Anyone have an extra PSA 9 Ogden rookie?
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Since the thread slipped off the front page, I figured this would justify a bump...

The 25 Semi-Finalists were announced:

Cliff Branch, WR – 1972-1985 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders
    Tim Brown, WR/KR – 1988-2003 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders, 2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Cris Carter, WR – 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins
    Don Coryell, Coach – 1973-77 St. Louis Cardinals, 1978-1986 San Diego Chargers
    Roger Craig, RB – 1983-1990 San Francisco 49ers, 1991 Los Angeles Raiders, 1992-93 Minnesota Vikings
    Terrell Davis, RB – 1995-2001 Denver Broncos
    Dermontti Dawson, C – 1988-2000 Pittsburgh Steelers
    Richard Dent, DE – 1983-1993, 1995 Chicago Bears, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1996 Indianapolis Colts, 1997 Philadelphia Eagles
    Chris Doleman, DE/LB – 1985-1993, 1999 Minnesota Vikings, 1994-95 Atlanta Falcons, 1996-98 San Francisco 49ers
    Kevin Greene, LB/DE – 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams, 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers
    Russ Grimm, G – 1981-1991 Washington Redskins
    Ray Guy, P – 1973-1986 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders
    Charles Haley, DE/LB – 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers, 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys
    Lester Hayes, CB – 1977-1986 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders
    Rickey Jackson, LB – 1981-1993 New Orleans Saints, 1994-95 San Francisco 49ers
    Cortez Kennedy, DT – 1990-2000 Seattle Seahawks
    Art Modell, Owner – 1961-1995 Cleveland Browns, 1996-2003 Baltimore Ravens
    John Randle, DT – 1990-2000 Minnesota Vikings, 2001-03 Seattle Seahawks
    Andre Reed, WR – 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins
    Jerry Rice, WR – 1985-2000 San Francisco 49ers, 2001-04 Oakland Raiders, 2004 Seattle Seahawks
    Shannon Sharpe, TE – 1990-99, 2002-03 Denver Broncos, 2000-01 Baltimore Ravens
    Emmitt Smith, RB – 1990-2002 Dallas Cowboys, 2003-04 Arizona Cardinals
    Paul Tagliabue, Commissioner – 1989-2006 National Football League
    Steve Tasker, Special Teams/WR – 1985-86 Houston Oilers, 1986-1997 Buffalo Bills
    Aeneas Williams, CB/S – 1991-2000 Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, 2001-04 St. Louis Rams

Let the speculation begin... My guesses of the selections (not necessarily my choices) are in bold.
  • Options
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion