Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hypothetically-- which two dealers, if they joined forces, could dominate the numismatic marketplace

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
Some mergers work, and some don't. Putting aside general business issues or personality issues, which two dealers do you think, if they join forces, can truly dominate the numismatic marketplace (or at least a decent segment of the marketplace). For example, if Legend joined up with Mark Feld Numismatics, I think the merged firm could dominate the East coast/West coast market for very high eye appealing rarities and silver type. Such a merger would combine bravado with some good, home-spun folksy practices. Hypothetically, which two dealers (you can only pick two) would be a good match from a market point of view and why? Or is this really a hypothetical because any two coin dealers/market leaders are natural enemies, like a boa constrictor and a mongoose, and it would be impossible for them to join forces under the laws of nature?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    Me and whoever currently dominates!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought the Pinnacle team (with Feld, Winter, and Imhof still present) and Legend could clean up--if they could keep it together.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    After Legend announced adding auctions I immediately thought about what would happen if Legend and David Lawrence merged.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK I'LL PLAY,

US MINT + EBAY
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On second thought, it might be better to think of combining larger operations, like Blanchard and Littleton, rather than smaller boutique firms.

Or, Heritage can combine with itself. image
  • Options

<< <i>On second thought, it might be better to think of combining larger operations, like Blanchard and Littleton, rather than smaller boutique firms.

Or, Heritage can combine with itself. image >>

I was thinking boutique firms, but if we want to discuss larger firms, that is fine too. Of course, Heritage could merge with anyone it wants at will (sort of like the Animal House movie and the question-- "do you mind if we dance with your dates?" There is only one answer to that question).
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Hi Longacre! Interesting hypothetical, but I wonder why you specify "Putting aside general business issues and personality issues"? I assume you mean "conflicts"... because the business part (the "good, home-spun, folksy practices" in your example) and the personality part (the "bravado") are both pretty important to a firm's success!
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Russ and Marty.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Longacre! Interesting hypothetical, but I wonder why you specify "Putting aside general business issues and personality issues"? I assume you mean "conflicts"... because the business part (the "good, home-spun, folksy practices" in your example) and the personality part (the "bravado") are both pretty important to a firm's success! >>

What I meant was overlooking legal issues that might get in the way of a merger, such as regulatory issues with larger companies, etc., etc. The hypo is open to any and all suggestions. No limits. image
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    No one... no one can completely dominate every aspect of the business image However... 2-3 dealers merging could certainly dominate a niche market... for example, 3 Cent Silvers... Early Gold... that type of thing, with only a small number of collectors
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blue Moon Coins and Coin Vault
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Russ and Marty. >>

Be careful what you wish for.image

Joe

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    BigTomBigTom Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    Legends & PQ Dollars
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, I don't see enough of the coin market dominated by any pair of firms that would add up market dominance by just two firms.

Second, for a merger to work there must be the right chemistry between to the two firms. For example if one firm’s mode of business is helpful and friendly while the other firm is rude and obnoxious, except to a small group of well-healed customers, the partnership will be doomed.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BigTomBigTom Posts: 305 ✭✭✭

<< <i>........if one firm’s mode of business is helpful and friendly while the other firm is rude and obnoxious, except to a small group of well-healed customers, the partnership will be doomed. >>

Love it! Hypothetically speaking, of course.
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK I'LL PLAY,

US MINT + EBAY >>

Not a bad answer...
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about Ebay and the Coin Vault? Given some of deals I've seen offered at both places it's a match made in heaven. imageimageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Partnerships and buyouts in a cottage industry like coin dealing must be difficult because of the highly entreneurial aspect of this business, the under the counter and cash dealings ,the personal style of the participants, and the cyclicity of the market. That is why partnerships come and go as well as the managers changing shops. I could see buyouts in the auction areas more easily accomplished. Now having given my opinion, I confess to never having been a dealer or having worked in a the coin business. Not even a wannabe.
    Trime
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    You'd best hope Gates or the Google Twins never get hooked on dealing/collecting coins - either could buy every quality coin on the market at the blik of a check book.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭

<< <i>are natural enemies, like a boa constrictor and a mongoose >>

- these two animals live on different continents and never encounter each other.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Legends & PQ Dollars >>

image....image......image
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    john albanese and monaco
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No two dealers would dominate. Heritage became primarily an auctioneer over the past 10-15 years so that they no longer seem to want to dominate in the retail business.

However, I have always been intrigued by the possible combination of Leon Hendrickson and Blanchard. Interesting wholesale combination?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    If Q.D. Bowers retires to write--a merger of ANR with Legend with Laura Sperber/Kristine Karstadt as presidents ( & who do get along fine) could dominate the high end market. Working a joint auction would not only bring in their former customer's coins, but if they really do the photos well, newer customers would be attracted away from Heritage-Superior-Goldberg to some extent. With bigger combined cashflow from auctions, a bank credit line would cut into Rare Coin Wholesalers ability to dominate super rare material----
    --------------
    Heck they could even hire Madmarty, to run a weekly auction of moderns/no reserve lower cost stuff!image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    SFDukieSFDukie Posts: 618

<< <i>First, I don't see enough of the coin market dominated by any pair of firms that would add up market dominance by just two firms.

Second, for a merger to work there must be the right chemistry between to the two firms. For example if one firm’s mode of business is helpful and friendly while the other firm is rude and obnoxious, except to a small group of well-healed customers, the partnership will be doomed. >>

Bill that is one of the most humerous posts I've seen on the coin forum!
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If Q.D. Bowers retires to write--a merger of ANR with Legend with Laura Sperber/Kristine Karstadt as presidents ( & who do get along fine) could dominate the high end market. Working a joint auction would not only bring in their former customer's coins, but if they really do the photos well, newer customers would be attracted away from Heritage-Superior-Goldberg to some extent. With bigger combined cashflow from auctions, a bank credit line would cut into Rare Coin Wholesalers ability to dominate super rare material---- Now that would be something to have 2 knowledgeable women dominate in this industry!
    --------------
    Heck they could even hire Madmarty, to run a weekly auction of moderns/no reserve lower cost stuff!image >>

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Wouldl't want it as that would drive prices up and create a monopoly.
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

There are none.

They could make their presence known but would not dominate.

They could pick a certain series and have a dramatic impact on price levels.

Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bobby Hughes and Laura Sperber. There wouldn't be a single coin left for anyone else to buy....
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was already tried......back in 1983 when Ivy and Halperin joined forces. At the time they were arguably the 2 of the biggest players in the game. Now look at them. Don't know if you have anything that could quite duplicate that brain trust today. And of course, they do dominate the numismatic marketplace.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

Amazon plus, the U.S. Mint.

James at EarlyUS.com

On the web: http://www.earlyus.com
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 12:53PM

None whether read about here (some definitely thumbs down) and none on bourse as I see it as a entrepreneur business just like you can have only one head college football coach.

As far as which 2 have most combined capital could only guess. Like college football coaches (off /def playbooks) everyone in coin business has their own style, specialization, strengths on both sides of the ball (buying selling).

However, As far as op question there could exist - partnerships where you had the ultra wealthy collector / owner calling the shots (puppeteer) and the dealer handling his material (puppet). Somebody w tens of millions $ or more could probably do that - Sort of like a pro football owner / coach relationship. I have only seen one instance (here) where I have suspected that but none necessarily on bourse at shows.

US coins are not the only numismatic market - numismatics is worldwide and consists of both coins & currency - graded and raw. Further more whether a $ or $10,000 it all adds up.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

The US Classic coin marketplace is already thinly traded. I don't know how more concentration of sellers would benefit pricing or transaction efficiencies.

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok I bit on the old thread
    Martin

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS and Heritage

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 6:14PM

I don’t know that it’s possible to dominate the coin business without killing it in the process.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Martin said:
    Ok I bit on the old thread
    Martin

Some of the old threads are a lot more interesting and thought provoking.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Bobby Hughes and Laura Sperber. There wouldn't be a single coin left for anyone else to buy....

Bobby Hughes???

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

APMEX and JM Bullion

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 8:35PM

@PTVETTER said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Bobby Hughes???

Robert L Hughes was a real mover and a shaker. Based out of Cali. He used to have a strong internet presence with high-end inventory. He did very right by me, in purchasing one of my coins for what I paid for it, when I thought that I would takes a huge loss. He still sold it for an over $2,000 profit to a top ranking Registry guy! The man was the best at moving inventory!! He was a strong buyer too!! The smoothest and fairest transaction that I have ever been a part of. What on Earth is he doing these days??? I wish him all the best!! I wish that every dealer was like him!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

talk to me at PAN

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:

@PTVETTER said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Bobby Hughes???

Robert L Hughes was a real mover and a shaker. Based out of Cali. He used to have a strong internet presence with high-end inventory. He did very right by me, in purchasing one of my coins for what I paid for it, when I thought that I would takes a huge loss. He still sold it for an over $2,000 profit to a top ranking Registry guy! The man was the best at moving inventory!! He was a strong buyer too!! The smoothest and fairest transaction that I have ever been a part of. What on Earth is he doing these days??? I wish him all the best!! I wish that every dealer was like him!!

He has been with so many different companies over the past few years. Glad you had good transactions with him, there are those that have not based on bankruptcies. I think most get made whole but sure not smooth. Probably better he is working for others now.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blu62vette Yes, I did hear that. I guess that I was lucky at the time.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the advantage to the collector based upon these hypothetical consolidations?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Diversity is strength, imagine a merger of NGC and PCGS. We were a lot better off 20 years ago with more diversity and quality numismatic companies, one possible improvement has been cac. Teletrade was an excellent company, Spectrum, the "king of cash". Most mergers I have seen have not lead to greater consumer service and value. When companies get taken over by Ivy league hot shots who haven't put in the years of stressful work and service, companies often go downhill, some go out of business.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    Diversity is strength, imagine a merger of NGC and PCGS.

Were these two to merge you would have an overall loss of confidence in third party grading. This is a case where competition is an exceptionally good thing.

• Options
    BrettPCGSBrettPCGS Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think many people less familiar with Jason Carter and Carter Numismatics don't realize how big of a deal this was earlier this year. Like the Yankees acquiring Babe Ruth.

https://www.stacksbowers.com/News/Pages/PressReleases.aspx?ArticleID=stacks-bowers-and-carter-numismatics-join-forces

Brett Charville --- I work at PCGS

• Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭

@BrettPCGS said:
    I think many people less familiar with Jason Carter and Carter Numismatics don't realize how big of a deal this was earlier this year. Like the Yankees acquiring Babe Ruth.

https://www.stacksbowers.com/News/Pages/PressReleases.aspx?ArticleID=stacks-bowers-and-carter-numismatics-join-forces

A BIG +1 on this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file