Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What annoys you the most on E-Bay?

Comments

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Listings with emojis in the title.

• Options

My search for "PWCC" hasn't worked in a few days. Emailed Ebay to ask if something is wrong with my browser.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReedDACW said:
    As a seller, after declining offers of 50%, 60%, 70%, 75%, and 80% of our asking price from the same "buyer", them asking "what's your best price?" These never happen on low pop commons, they are always for 52T Mantles, Jordan rookies, high end wax, etc.

I know sometimes we reach on our prices, but for the most part, I think we price our items fairly and to sell. If a buyer recognizes our asking price is reasonable (evidenced by the last offer at 80%) why waste all that time by offering insulting figures?

I often hear people say "well it doesn't hurt to ask." No, it absolutely does hurt. Good first impressions are important. Bad ones could prove difficult to overcome.

Reed

Are you getting unsolicited offers of do you have "make offer" enabled?

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

@ReedDACW said:
    As a seller, after declining offers of 50%, 60%, 70%, 75%, and 80% of our asking price from the same "buyer", them asking "what's your best price?" These never happen on low pop commons, they are always for 52T Mantles, Jordan rookies, high end wax, etc.

I know sometimes we reach on our prices, but for the most part, I think we price our items fairly and to sell. If a buyer recognizes our asking price is reasonable (evidenced by the last offer at 80%) why waste all that time by offering insulting figures?

I often hear people say "well it doesn't hurt to ask." No, it absolutely does hurt. Good first impressions are important. Bad ones could prove difficult to overcome.

Reed

When someone asks me "what my best price is", I respond with 'as close to my asking price as possible.' I figure I'm putting the first price out there, it's their turn to make an offer. Why in the world would I tell someone...yeah I'm asking $100, I'd be happy with $90, but I'd really like to move it so I'd take $75. One of my favorite quotes I've heard on a forum (can't remember which one) was a response of "I'm not in the business of giving away free money."

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2021 5:58AM

@ReedDACW said:

Reed

Remember to always set an auto-decline amount in your BIN listings so you don't even see offers that you find to be too low.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

Here's something that annoys me about ebay... who in the world needs 5000 free listings for cell phones?? How is this even a thing??

• Options

For sellers ; can't stand no pictures of back side of card (raw especially), no response to questions, no response from offers....expires automatically, unreasonable shipping cost

For buyers; stupid people, crazy people, angry and impatient people; PEOPLE

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed in some auctions I've participated in against the "private bidder". It seems a tad annoying but maybe there's a legit reason for their identity to be withheld. Could someone clue me in on this? Please and thank you.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

it’s so easy for a clown to steal a image from vcp and list it for sale. some joker is doing this almost every day lol he got me a couple times.

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

This is not an ebay gripe, but something that annoys me about dealers. Dealers advertise free appraisals. When you show them cards, they will only give you an appraisal if they are interested in buy the cards. Its ok to waste my time, but not theirs.

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not specifically ebay-related, but I hate hearing dealers talk about grading in a derogatory fashion. I get it, you're old and possibly bitter about a third party holding your cards to an objective standard. But grading IS the accepted standard in this market, regardless of your feelings.

These dealers have every right not to like the concept of grading, but hearing it over and over again becomes really tiresome.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2021 4:21PM

@miwlvrn said:
    Here's a message I got from a winning bidder of an item I've been waiting for payment for a few days ($1,350). He has a feedback count of 2 total. We often joke about the concept in his message on this board, but I almost can't believe the text of this note from him that I will paste in with no edits:

"Sorry for the late reply. My parent's took away my laptop last night after I told them how much the card would cost. I need to wait for them to cool down before I'm allowed to buy anything again. I hope you understand sorry again for causing you inconvenience..."

Call EBay

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

@miwlvrn said:
    Here's a message I got from a winning bidder of an item I've been waiting for payment for a few days ($1,350). He has a feedback count of 2 total. We often joke about the concept in his message on this board, but I almost can't believe the text of this note from him that I will paste in with no edits:

"Sorry for the late reply. My parent's took away my laptop last night after I told them how much the card would cost. I need to wait for them to cool down before I'm allowed to buy anything again. I hope you understand sorry again for causing you inconvenience..."

Call EBay

There's nothing to be gained by that call, besides a waste of my time. I have to cancel the sale and then I don't get charged for Final Value Fees. It is not as though ebay can send someone over to the bidder's house and have them demand payment. The bidder is simply not going to pay, and there's nothing I can do about it. As long as I don't get charged for FVF's, it's time to shake my head about one more bidder to block, and then move on. But yes, ebay is full of shenanigans like this.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

eBay messages lowball offers on listings without best offer enabled. Always modern basketball. Annoying.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

At least it sounds original and not the same ol crap about their kid accidentally placing a bid.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

COMC shipping times.

Filtering out reprints.

Shane

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Here's one that hasn't been brought up. I've been deployed in the Armed Forces for almost a year. I notified them about 4 months before the deployment. I asked them if they could somehow basically freeze my listings as I would hate to simply lose about 2000 listings that I created. They said NO. I called them a month before deployment and asked if they could do something and I pay them a portion of my store subscription/they said NO. Nothing they can do for me. So every month I pay my store subscription and also reset my vacation settings as you can only do those for 30 days. I was more stunned than upset really. I thought they would help for sure. So my listings have been just invisible for many months. Some have them in watched items and email me from time to time. Oh well.

• Options

People who make ridiculously low offers, even when you’ve given them tremendous deals in the past.

Saying that they are sending a middle of the road card for $200 grading as that is some sort of justification for them lowballing you insultingly.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:
    Here's one that hasn't been brought up. I've been deployed in the Armed Forces for almost a year. I notified them about 4 months before the deployment. I asked them if they could somehow basically freeze my listings as I would hate to simply lose about 2000 listings that I created. They said NO. I called them a month before deployment and asked if they could do something and I pay them a portion of my store subscription/they said NO. Nothing they can do for me. So every month I pay my store subscription and also reset my vacation settings as you can only do those for 30 days. I was more stunned than upset really. I thought they would help for sure. So my listings have been just invisible for many months. Some have them in watched items and email me from time to time. Oh well.

can you go to “sell similar”, save that listing as a “draft” not publish it and should save all the pertinent info for you. then when youre ready, hit “publish” to make them live again? thank you for your service!

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:

You can simply end all listings. They will stay in Ended Listings until you relist them at some point in the future.

• Options

@blurryface said:

can you go to “sell similar”, save that listing as a “draft” not publish it and should save all the pertinent info for you. then when youre ready, hit “publish” to make them live again? thank you for your service!

In my experience, your drafts either expire after sitting there for 30 days or you at least have to re-upload your photo which is annoying.

• Options

@Mickey71 said:

You could mass edit your listing for some hugely inflated BIN price so nobody in their right minds would would buy it for that. Make it the same added amount across the board so you don't forget what you had it listed for originally. For example, if you have a card listed for $25 BIN, make it $5025. lol

Or you could set your vacation status for your entire deployment, so at least the buyer would be aware that they won't get their card for X amount of months.

• Options

@stevegarveyfan said:

You can simply end all listings. They will stay in Ended Listings until you relist them at some point in the future.

Ended listings disappear from your "My Ebay" page after 90 days.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@Mickey71 said:

Blurry,

Thank you for the support and kind words. I tried basically everything and there was no work around. All drafts, ended listing etc expire between 30-90 days. Certain drafts have # amounts also. Vacation settings can only be in 30 day increments. Luckily I'm performing duty on a post with internet and not in the field for long periods of time. I'm able to get on Ebay regularly and reset my vacation settings each month. Kind of a hassle but very do-ble.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeverSawMantle said:
    People who make ridiculously low offers, even when you’ve given them tremendous deals in the past.

Saying that they are sending a middle of the road card for $200 grading as that is some sort of justification for them lowballing you insultingly.

If you've given someone "tremendous deals", then there is no reason they wouldn't expect the same, or deals that are even more tremendous. If I try to push the limit by offering 80% of fair market value and that's accepted, I have no reason not to try 75%, 70%, or even 60% next time. Repeat until there is some resistance.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭

I can, too, get irritated when people try to get a deal. But then I have to step back and realize that I would do the exact same thing.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

One more for the list: sellers who try to nickel and dime their way into a petty couple bucks by underpaying shipping and then the item arrives w/ postage due. I received an item a couple days ago in a bubble mailer w/ $1.85 paid on it and also another $2.24 postage due in order to obtain delivery. When something like that happens, it sours the entire transaction regardless of the card. I know that theoretically if I got what I consider to be a good deal on a purchase, that the extra cash for delivery shouldn't be that big a problem. However, if you pay $4 for S/H and it shows up with postage due because the seller tried to save a couple bucks, how can you not be disappointed? This is not the first time that this has happened with my ebay purchases, though it is a rare occurrence.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    One more for the list: sellers who try to nickel and dime their way into a petty couple bucks by underpaying shipping and then the item arrives w/ postage due. I received an item a couple days ago in a bubble mailer w/ $1.85 paid on it and also another $2.24 postage due in order to obtain delivery. When something like that happens, it sours the entire transaction regardless of the card. I know that theoretically if I got what I consider to be a good deal on a purchase, that the extra cash for delivery shouldn't be that big a problem. However, if you pay $4 for S/H and it shows up with postage due because the seller tried to save a couple bucks, how can you not be disappointed? This is not the first time that this has happened with my ebay purchases, though it is a rare occurrence.

this seems to be happening more and more. whats even more frustrating is that my mail carrier can only take cash. i had to cough up a one hundred dollar bill to cover a $3ish underpayment. granted i got the change back the very next day. afterwards i started keeping a $10 bill in a jacket on the coat rack for easy access. have had to use it twice last month. other two times were amazon items though. never had a problem with this until this year though.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

That sounds like negative feedback waiting to happen.

• Options
    SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 197 ✭✭✭✭

Sellers who take forever to ship. I bought a video game 5 days ago and it hasn't shipped yet. I've sent 2 messages to the seller with no response. Seller isn't a noob either - has 4400+ feedback and 99.1% rating. It's only $15 but it's incredibly annoying. He must see Ebay's reminder to ship every time he logs on.

• Options
    KyserKyser Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

People that troll completed listings and try to back door deals after something has already sold.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2021 3:57AM

Ebay Customer SERVICE....... I feel like I am speaking with an EWOK from another planet. I bought a 7k card last Feb. and it got lost in the mail~ FEDEX.... customer signature was required and there was no signature recorded even though Fedex recorded it as delivered. Ebay Customer service was a no show for the 10 days or so that they make the buyer and seller work things out.... so what transpires between buyer and seller? Paranoia and toxic accusations of course .... the saving grace was when I just cut out Ebay altogether and went directly to my platinum Amex customer service..... I dealt with them only and 4-5 weeks later I was made whole as i sent them (AMEX) the 1 document from FeDEX that states no signature was left on a "must sign" delivery.... it made the difference.....And this was despite the fact that Ebay ruled in favor of the seller after they realized I was going above them to my credit card directly......... USE a credit card you trust to back you up. That 7k card was a 2001 Ichiro Bowman Chrome Refractor RC....I would much rather have that than my 7k ....for sure!

• Options

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    Ebay Customer SERVICE....... I feel like I am speaking with an EWOK from another planet. I bought a 7k card last Feb. and it got lost in the mail~ FEDEX.... customer signature was required and there was no signature recorded even though Fedex recorded it as delivered. Ebay Customer service was a no show for the 10 days or so that they make the buyer and seller work things out.... so what transpires between buyer and seller? Paranoia and toxic accusations of course .... the saving grace was when I just cut out Ebay altogether and went directly to my platinum Amex customer service..... I dealt with them only and 4-5 weeks later I was made whole as i sent them (AMEX) the 1 document from FeDEX that states no signature was left on a "must sign" delivery.... it made the difference.....And this was despite the fact that Ebay ruled in favor of the seller after they realized I was going above them to my credit card directly......... USE a credit card you trust to back you up. That 7k card was a 2001 Ichiro Bowman Chrome Refractor RC....I would much rather have that than my 7k ....for sure!

So did the card turn up? FEDEX is really bad about just tossing my deliveries at my door and not getting a signature. I would not as a seller ship FEDEX. You can end up losing a case like this even if the customer receives their item.

• Options

people holding their cards -taking a selfie with it or (sometimes includes a mirror) ----always has their spouse coming out of the shower naked or in their underwear or etc.

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2021 11:47AM

@thesouthdoesitagain said:
    people holding their cards -taking a selfie with it or (sometimes includes a mirror) ----always has their spouse coming out of the shower naked or in their underwear or etc.

Lol what?!? This comment needs an eBay link stat!

• Options
    edited September 18, 2021 12:59PM

@Jayman1982 said:

@thesouthdoesitagain said:

Lol what?!? This comment needs an eBay link stat!

i know what he’s referring to and i can guarantee you that it isnt gal gadot taking time outta wonder woman 3 to model .99¢ lamelo ball cards for ebay auctions. its more like “people of walmart” models. you have been warned. 😉

• Options
    edited September 18, 2021 3:24PM

not exactly the style thesouth was mentioning, but this is one of my all time favs that live on the same block. the pic, the price, the item location, the sale benefits a charity, the spams ranging from jordan to jobu. it really has it all. i just wish he had two of them so the twins wouldnt have to fight over it.

• Options

Ebay annoying things....... A bent corner on a beautiful card that's hard to see. With all the technology now.... It's like looking at a Blurry Ufo pic. That's when you know to stay away

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyers on a "OBO" item sending a message with an offer instead of sending it thru the obo window..... its a clever way to find out how an offer would be taken without being on the hook for the offer.

• Options
    CentauriCentauri Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

The card I am searching for is not listed. Very annoying.

• Options
    SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 197 ✭✭✭✭

For the second time in a month a buyer was somehow able to "purchase" one of my buy it now listings without paying immediately. At first I though I had made a mistake and forgot to check the "require immediate payment" box, but that's not the case.

I have no idea how Ebay lets this happen. When I purchase a buy it now, I am taken directly to the payment screen. The first "buyer" ignored all of my payment requests, then emailed me a few weeks later apologizing, saying he thought the payment had gone through.

• Options

Someone please start a thread of lame excuses sellers give for canceling orders after they get a better offer through messages. I can add a story or two a day. I promise not to disappoint.

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

I sent an offer to a person the other day; they immediately accepted it; 5 minutes later I get the message. "My bad, I have same exact card in same exact grade and thought someone made me an offer; please cancel." Needless to say I checked their ebay and guess what no cards for sale.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poor communication.

I recently offered on a way over priced card. I reached out and never heard back.

When it sold, it was for the same amount I’d offered. Had he countered me with 20% above what I offered, I probably move and take it.

Never responded. When I asked him what he got for it, he told me and I told him I thought he got a good price. Why make him feel bad, right? What good would that do?

But, yes, I wish people communicated better.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited September 22, 2021 7:04AM

I paid 600 for a card yesterday. This morning they marked shipped and refunded. "Notes from dkcmick
    i am so sorry it rained last night and my window was opened card got all wet omg im so this is awefull "

Best part is about 2 minutes after refund, they relisted for sale. +1 Block bidder list. My list of scammers and idiots is still free just DM me. It is update 2-3 times a day :(

• Options

@Kyser said:
    I paid 600 for a card yesterday. This morning they marked shipped and refunded. "Notes from dkcmick
    i am so sorry it rained last night and my window was opened card got all wet omg im so this is awefull "

Best part is about 2 minutes after refund, they relisted for sale. +1 Block bidder list. My list of scammers and idiots is still free just DM me. It is update 2-3 times a day :(

Are you allowed to leave negative feedback in cases like this?

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2021 6:48PM

This doesn't just "annoy" me.....it pizzes me off!

When there's an auction for an item that I REALLY WANT!; I check on it oh about 30 minutes before it ends, and then get into something else; and get so wrapped up in it, that I forget about the ebay auction. When I remember the auction and go back to it, I find that it ended less than 5 minutes ago, and went for a price that was lower than I would've paid.

This just happened to me twice in the last couple hours!

$#*&!!!!!

Steve

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

When I add a BIN/Best Offer item to my watch list and 15 minutes later I get a "discount offer" of 5% from the seller.