Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What annoys you the most on E-Bay?

My top pet peeve is people that don't say right from the top the card has a qualifier. Many times they post a small photo that you have to squint to see that is OC, PD or whatever. No where in their auction does it ever mention the qualifier, but they do quote the SMR as if it were NQ.

Comments

• If they dont list (OC), or whatever, in the description. I make it a point to remember never to buy from them.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Shipping fraud and bad shipping. Like one guy posted on the forum... paying $3 for shipping and finding it shipped in a white envelope with a 37 cent stamp on it, card being taped (in a penny sleeve) to a single 3x5 index card.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Ah, there are so many, but I'd have to go with sellers not responding to emails either BEFORE or AFTER the sale.

-Todd-
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭
    getting outbid by lawyer05 and carew4me!!!!
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    The (extreme) over use of the term "1/1", especially with cards that aren't really "1/1". For example: "Wow! Roger Clemens cut uniform #'d 22/50, same number as his uniform, 1/1!"
  • I hate searching for a "game used bat" and each auction is really for a game used bat CARD.
  • Keyword spamming.

"1971 TOPPS NOLAN RYAN BGS 8 NOT PSA"

clogging up my search for PSA cards.

• Sellers that don't take credit cards or Paypal.image

Ed
    email address: alohaet@hotmail.com
  • Oh Oh, I don't take PayPal. Just never signed up for it, and really don't care to. But I will take a check.
    Any more the one main thing that bugs me is the auctions that are 4 pages long just to sell one card.
    I have to spend all the time reading it to make sure that's what I'm really getting, and then try to
    figure out how much shipping is going to cost me. If I can't find out quickly what it really is, I just click
    the back button and go on to the next one.
  • auctions for 10,000 cards that are full of junk and one beat up Mantle card and then show 10 pictures of the same Mantle card and charge $175 for shipping.
  • Poor packaging!
  • jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    Fees
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I hate it when I dont get a direct answer to the questions I have. I ask the right questions as a person concerned about what condition item he is getting. My impression is that they dont answer the question directly because then they know I wont be interested in it. Sometimes they answer so ambiguously, it still does not tell me anything. I hate deception like that. It wastes my time.

For example: Does the PSA holder have any scratches on it?

Answer: The holder is fine.

If I dont get a direct answer, I dont risk bidding. Its as simple as that.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • worst part of ebay is not the real bad seeds...those guys eventually get theirs. it's those sellers that misrepresent the quality of their cards. selling raw cards and advertising them as mint when in reality any blind man from tibet could see that the card is no where near near mint. it's bad because at one point i actually tried buying raw cards off ebay....and the vast majority of my purchases were grossly overgraded.
  • 1 - Sellers who's only descriptive text is "see scan".
    2 - Music and animated graphics in the listings.
    3 - Sellers that only give their opinion of the grade (EX, EXMT, etc..) and fail to mention hidden problems like I, the buyer, am suppose to know that his opinion of an EX card means there could be a hidden crease.
    4 - Extremely long listings in LARGE fonts, forcing me to scroll 2, 3 or 4 times down just to get to the scan. The worst part about this is that usually 99% of the text in the listings is terms, self-promotion, and other stuff I don't care about until AFTER I decide if I might wanna bid. Sellers: Please put a short, concise description, with the scan showing up FIRST!.
    5 - The one thing though, that really irritates me is the multi-card scans people use, instead of 1 individual scan per listing. Yes, I realize it's quicker to scan 4 cards at once and just use the same scan for 4 listings, but YOU DO lose prospective bidders. I can't tell you how many times I've pulled up listings for a single card, and had to wait for all 4 cards in the scan to load because the one I am interested in is at the bottom of the scan. Usually I just get impatient and hit the back button though. There isn't a card on the planet that is unique enough, that I can afford anyway, to make me wait all day for a multi-card scan to load. There's always a similar card right around the corner that someone else is REALLY interested in selling.

Thanks for listening.

End of rant.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the thing that bothers me most is the abundant availability of great stuff.

My wife just chewed my ass over the Amex statement!

I'm not allowed to buy anything until the bill is paid. And that's gonna be a while!!!!

mike
    Mike
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Hey Southerncards -

In your eBay search if you put

"game used bat" -cards

it will cut down the crap and you'll get mostly just real game used bats - the -cards tells the search engine to not retrieve any listing that has "game used bat" AND the word cards in it.
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    What I hate are sellers who refuse to leave feedback until you do, even though as a buyer, I pay usually immediately after the auction closes. The seller then usually waits until you've left feedback before they will.
  • 1. poor packing
    2. bad decriptions
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Meg.
  • Winning 13 boxes of 2004 Sp Authentic Football and never receiving product or a refund. Too easy to become a victim of fraud.
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    1 - being gouged on shipping (although it almost never happens - I refuse to pay it unless it is a card I haven't ever seen offered)
    2 - as a buyer, not receiving feedback until I leave it first. I will never budge from my belief that my part of the transaction is completed once my payment has been received.
    3 - sellers who don't take PayPal. I understand if a seller is fairly new, but there are guys with thousands of positive feedback that don't accept PP. That would seem to be counterproductive to higher sales volume.
    4 - being outbid!
    5 - and to echo Mike, sometimes I don't look forward to the icy stare I get from my wife when the Visa bill arrives.

<< <i>2 - as a buyer, not receiving feedback until I leave it first. I will never budge from my belief that my part of the transaction is completed once my payment has been received.
    >>

How many Paypal chargebacks would it take to make you change your mind?

As a seller the only way I know a buyer is happy with a transaction is when s/he leaves feedback.
    Just found this. This guy needs to take up a less stressful hobby:

*** WARNING *** ...... If you decline to purchase INSURANCE, it'd your lost and I am not responsible for any LOST or DAMAGE item.

Terms and Conditions: Please read before bidding.

* No Personal Checks are accepted. If a Personal Check is sent, check will be returned to High Bidder and Bidders will be reported to eBay as Non-Paying for refund. Item will be re-listed. Absolutely No Exceptions!!!
    * If you choose NOT to buy insurance, please do not complain or threaten for refund.
    * The Insurance coverage will give you your money back only and NO REPLACEMENT of CARD(S) and/or ITEM(S).
    * Bidders with LESS than 5 feedbacks and any NEGATIVE feedback in profiles must e-mail me before bidding. OTHERWISE, YOUR BIDS MIGHT BE CANCELED WITHOUT NOTICE.
    * E-mails or questions that are sent through Check-Out will not be answered. Please wait until I send you an Invoice regarding the auction.
    * Your bid is a contract - Place a bid ONLY if you're serious about buying the item. If you are the winning bidder, you will enter into a legally binding contract to purchase the item from the seller. You should contact the seller to resolve any questions before bidding.
    * Discount on shipping fees will be given when buyer WIN multiple auction on the same day.
    * Due to a HIGH VOLUME of Non-Payer, I will need to get a payment within 7 Business Day. If you can not get me a payment within 7 Business Day, I need an explaination. Please don't wasted my time and money here. Thank You!
    * Bidding on my items mean you agree to my terms.

Item Description

You are bidding on a 1974 Topps Baseball Complete Set of 660 Cards + The Complete Topps Traded Series Set (44 cards) A TOTAL of 704 Cards .............. Overall average condition is Near Mint ............ Please see SCAN carefully for the condition of all cards ............ This is a very hard set to put together.

**** Due to a HIGH VOLUME of Non-Payer, ****

I will need to get a payment within 7 Business Day after AN AUCTIONS ENDS. If you can not get me a payment within 7 Business Day, I need an explaination. Please don't wasted my time and money here. Thank You!

If you can not view the picture, please Copy & Paste or CLICK the link below. Thanks again

http://www.geocities.com/kappncrnch2002/1974-baseballset.jpg

***** ATTN: BIDDERS WITH LOW ( LESS THAN 5 ) FEEDBACK RATING OR NEWCOMERS MUST ASK FOR PERMISSION BEFORE BIDDING ......... OTHERWISE, YOUR BIDS WILL BE CANCELED WITHOUT NOTICE !!!!! *****

FINAL WARNING ... If you decline to purchase INSURANCE, it'd your lost and I am not responsible for any LOST or DAMAGE item.

Shipping:

Winner pays $15.00 S&H Charges for material and packaging supply. (Insurance NOT included). The shipping fee stated is only applicable to the Continental USA. ABSOLUTELY NO Overseas and International shipping. Please e-mail for any questions regarding this auction. PLEASE CHECK OUT MY OTHER AUCTION. THANKS

Payment Method:

Pay-Pal is accepted. Thank you

If paying by Pay-Pal, please make sure Pay-Pal has your "Confirmed Address". Otherwise, it will delayed your item. This procedure is VERY IMPORTANT !!! Thank You.

Money Orders / Pay Pal / or Cash ONLY. Absolutely No Exceptions!!!
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    On one hand, people learn from their mistakes and make those incredibly intricate terms to cover themselves. On the other hand, you get the feeling that the above seller could only be a lawyer. image

One thing that ticks me off is describing a card that's in "excellent" condition. To a layman, 'excellent' means just that. To a card collector, it means a card with sizable defects.

• << <i>1. poor packing
    2. bad decriptions >>

That could be a good thing for a buyer sometimes.

Personally I dislike - NON Paying Bidders - these idoits have killed many of my auctions in the past.

The ebay fees.
    Most complete single player collection: ULTIMATE MARK BRUNELL COLLECTION
  • No scans. (what are you hiding?)
    Poor scans. (see above)
    Does not accept PayPal in any form.
    No refund policy. (is that what the previous seller did to you?)
    Ambiguous or wrong descriptions.
    Ambiguous answers to simple questions.
    Ambiguous grading on raw cards or no mention of hidden defects.
    "Gradeable" (does "trimmed" count as a grade?)
    "Guaranteed to pass PSA/DNA" (so do it first and get more money for it, right?)
    Keyword spam like "1/1" or "not PSA"
    Other keyword spam: e.g. a Chris Carpenter card found under a Pujols search, like
    this.
    Shillers, especially in private user ID auctions.
    Private user ID auctions.
    "Aftermarket" items. (could I pay for this with an aftermarket check?)
    Cards/items graded/authenticated by self-made grading/authentication companies.
    Graded cards that have had their slabs cracked.
    False or ridiculous shipping charges.
    Dutch auctions.
    Single packs "guaranteed unsearched".
    HUGE lettering and bells and whistles. (I guess the card couldn't sell itself)
    Graded "true" 1/1s. (sorry, but the grading multiplier does not apply in this case - get that through your coconut)
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    I don't like people that grab my email, after I win a card, and then add me to their great mailing list.

I also strongly dislike (and don't bid) when Sellers don't take Paypal. I think it should be required. Fees are part of life so incorporate them into your min bid!
  • smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭
    I agree with those that say no paypal bothers them the most. My paypal account has all my funds for card buying and having to write a check or money order is a major inconvenience. I only lowball if there is no paypal accepted.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Southerncards -

In your eBay search if you put

"game used bat" -cards

it will cut down the crap and you'll get mostly just real game used bats - the -cards tells the search engine to not retrieve any listing that has "game used bat" AND the word cards in it. >>

You could also add on all the various card companies

"game used bat" - card* -ud -upper -leaf -playoff -donruss -topps

etc.

Same suggestion to the guy who hates keyword spamming:

try searching on "PSA -not"

Tabe
  • Buyers who don't read terms completely and bid anyway, then they try and pay in a form that the seller clearly states he won't accept. Example: Seller states "Paypal BALANCE TRANSFERS ONLY to CONFIRMED addresses ONLY" yet there is always some clown who tries a CC payment through Paypal or tries to Paypal it using an account OTHER THAN THE ONE supplied to them, and themn the buyer has the nerve to blame the seller for NOT accepting his payment.

These people burn my hide and make me wanna reach through my monitor and strangle'em.image

Also, sellers who charge high shipping and DON'T USE THE MONEY to ensure proper packing, shipping, etc... I have no problem paying high shipping costs, and I factor them into my bids anyway, but when it isn't used properly, I get steamed.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    getting a response like this when asking why a US Priority mail shipment of a 150 dollar 132 card set costs 12.60 to ship from South Carolina to Ohio:

I dont know how it is calculated.....I use the calculator so people get
    the correct shipping....if it says 12.60 then I guess its 12.60 to ship..
    You didnt use the calculator before you bought the item so find out how
    much your total would be first...I always do that before I buy anything....

Thanks,
    Jeremy Jackson jackson201 on ebay

Can anybody prove that this is NOT the correct shipping??? the way he answered the question just seemed to TICK ME OFF- original question...how did they calculate this shipping???

loth
  • -Excessive shipping charges. When I use to buy and sell through classified ads (SCD for example), I don't remember it being such a problem.

The other day I paid $5 in shipping ($3 for the first item, $1 for the second and third) and I got a padded envelope with $1 postmark.

I like the seller and his accurate descriptions, a few dollars either way doesn't matter. But some guys just insult your intelligence with it....$7 for shipping for something you know will come in a 37 cent envelope.

-Weak feedback policies. Feedback was great a first....but business doesn't stand still...it evolves. Ebay has been in business for 10 years.....you'd think the data would be more customizable.

In addition, why are people allowed to be in business with 200, 300 negatives?
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    This just annoyed me this morning.

I went through the ebay checkout system and the message states "Seller does not have address on file. Please contact seller." So I send the seller an email asking for his address. He responds "I sent you an invoice, check there."

I went back to read and he placed his address in 5 lines of text in the invoice. Do me a favor, just file your address with ebay or when I send you an email, write back to me with your address.

Another one a bit off the subject, but I bought a card on NAXCOM. No communication from the seller, so I send an email a week later. The response was "This card is not in my inventory anymore. I contacted NAXCOM about the situation". But I have to file a dispute with NAXCOM to get the credit card charge back. The purchase price on the card was $230 but a similar card sold on ebay for $700 so my guess is the seller pulled the card.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Two things annoy me the most.

1) Feedback from a seller that I have bought from before does not count in my rating #? Why not it is still feedback, I know there is a total feedback # but that is not the
    number that shows up after my ID.

2) After I win auction and go to pay, there is the page were you can send seller a message, this is also were the sellers address is at. When I go to "printable version", the mailing address is not always there and then you can not go back to the other page were the address was it is no longer available. Why does the address not show up on the printable version?

Stingray
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Buyers who don't read terms completely and bid anyway, then they try and pay in a form that the seller clearly states he won't accept. Example: Seller states "Paypal BALANCE TRANSFERS ONLY to CONFIRMED addresses ONLY" yet there is always some clown who tries a CC payment through Paypal or tries to Paypal it using an account OTHER THAN THE ONE supplied to them, and themn the buyer has the nerve to blame the seller for NOT accepting his payment. >>

Technically, the buyer is in the right in the example you gave. According to Ebay, if you take Paypal, you must take ALL forms of Paypal:

Selling with Paypal

Tabe
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Stuff like this annoys me:

Roger Maris PSA 9 in title, card pictured is GAI

SD

edited: in all fairness to this seller I believe he simply made a mistake. looking at his other auctions he has used GAI and SGC where appropriate. Still Annoying but in this case it was not done in a devious manner. IMO
    Good for you.
    WinPitcher-
    I agree, that annoys me also.

• << <i> But I have to file a dispute with NAXCOM to get the credit card charge back. The purchase price on the card was $230 but a similar card sold on ebay for $700 so my guess is the seller pulled the card. >>

tdk7 - you don't really have to go thru NAXCOM. Since you paid with a credit card you can always go directly thru them with any dispute you have. It's usually quicker too.
    << image >>
    I was saving that as a last resort. I just wish dealers would keep their inventory up to date on NAXCOM. Believe me, if that credit doesn't show up, a letter will go to my credit card.
  • 1. All caps.

2. Poor grammar.

• << <i>

<< <i>Buyers who don't read terms completely and bid anyway, then they try and pay in a form that the seller clearly states he won't accept. Example: Seller states "Paypal BALANCE TRANSFERS ONLY to CONFIRMED addresses ONLY" yet there is always some clown who tries a CC payment through Paypal or tries to Paypal it using an account OTHER THAN THE ONE supplied to them, and themn the buyer has the nerve to blame the seller for NOT accepting his payment. >>

Technically, the buyer is in the right in the example you gave. According to Ebay, if you take Paypal, you must take ALL forms of Paypal:

Selling with Paypal

Tabe >>

Wow, looks like ebay really wants to see the sellers get screwed in this case. Looks like I'll no longer be offering Paypal as payment, just Postal money orders and cash from now on.

Edit: But then again, I can't tell you how many times I've seen sellers state they would not accept bids by potential bidders with less than X-amount of positive feedback, which I believe they also can't do, can they? But that don't stop'em.
  • Just a minor gripe...people who put a $1.00 bid (and no more bids after that) on something that they know is a $100 plus item. You mean you really think you're going to get a Mantle or Mays for just a buck? Unless there is some other legit reason I'm missing here.
    Always looking for 1996 Select Certified Football.

• << <i>Just a minor gripe...people who put a $1.00 bid (and no more bids after that) on something that they know is a $100 plus item. You mean you really think you're going to get a Mantle or Mays for just a buck? Unless there is some other legit reason I'm missing here. >>

Making a low bid can make it easier to track an item.
    Plus, maybe no one else on Earth will see the item and I'll get it for a buck. It could happen.
  • Sellers who apparently love scrolling and vomit 10 pages of shipping info, disclaimers, power seller logos, etc etc all over every auction. More than once. By the time you finish reading it all, the auction is already over...

For example:

War and Peace
  • And sellers, for example the one in my previous post, with comments/policies like this:

We are not in the business of leaving negative feedback. So, 100% postive feedback will ALWAYS be left for each buyer upon receiving this same gesture from the buyer and no time sooner. When it comes to feedback ratings, sellers are at a disadvantage to those buyers who think EBAY is a joke and do not realize the importance of feedback and the impact it has on our livelihood. We are in business to treat people / buyers honestly & fairly and will go to any length within our capacity to resolve any issues or problems that a buyer may have with a specific item purchased. In other words, if for some reason the buyer is not satisfied or receives an item not as described, we will work very closely with all individuals to resolve matters and provide top notch customer service. With this being said, there should never be any reason for buyers to leave a negative feedback and the same in return
  • Allowing NARU'ed bidders to keep opening up new accounts. I have been tracking one person in particular, and he has 5 current accounts plus over 30 NARU'ed accounts. I have been reporting him for over a month, adding a new account to the list continually. Ebay doesnt want to let anyone go that will bid up the final value fee they receive. My problem isnt with the ripoff sellers, but for the megamillion dollar industry that allows them to continue to operate. "Caveat Emptor" should not be allowed to be a blanket for an industry to hide behind while they take in millions of dollars, all the while turning a deaf ear and a blind eye to anything which is a problem.......
  • lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@Carew29 said:
    getting outbid by lawyer05 and carew4me!!!!

it took me 16 years to find this , lol

Glory Days

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2021 12:36PM

Bad sellers and buyers.

I stopped selling last year.

Good riddance.