Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What annoys you the most on E-Bay?

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

after the steiner revelation in the pwcc thread, apparently the possibility of being stalked and/or taken out by the higher brass.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    after the steiner revelation in the pwcc thread, apparently the possibility of being stalked and/or taken out by the higher brass.

LMAO

• Options

I collect cards of players from my alma mater.. many times , a player is no longer in the league, had a career that spanned a season or two and who’s cards should be worth $1.. but since they are PSA 10, they list them for more than $50. I make an offer for $10, I get a counter for $49 lol

• Options
    SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 197 ✭✭✭✭

When I forget to check "require immediate payment with buy it now" on one of my buy it now listings, and that happens to be the one time that someone decides to buy but not pay.

I ALWAYS pay immediately on a buy it now.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

No, this stuff isn't gettin' to me. The grader of death, the submission freeze, Fleer’s quality control in the early 1980’s, the crack-and-resubmit game, that doesn't bother me a bit. Or this hobby, either. Having to wade through the over-priced buy-it-nows, ebay taking every dime of my profit, star dingers, and shillers. Nah, that doesn't bother me. But you know what does bother me? You know what makes me really sick to my stomach? Is watching you stuff your face with those hot dogs. Nobody, I mean NOBODY puts ketchup on a hot dog.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say for me; Non-Paying Buyers

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

I hate sellers that use pictures at awful angles as if to mask the borders/centering of a card.

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

"MINT for its age"

Using the term "rare" when listing a 1986 Donruss Ron Guidry

• Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

I would agree with Non-paying bidders.

Another less annoying thing, is when sellers forget to change one of the item specifics in all their listings, and now my searches are cluttered with completely irrelevant items.

Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's interesting to note how many of the "problems" from sixteen years ago have been "solved" since.

• Options

Fees

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:
    It's interesting to note how many of the "problems" from sixteen years ago have been "solved" since.

Are YFKM... The issues on E-bay have done nothing but continue over the last 20 years, Either your FOS or I'm just missed that!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thedutymon11 said:

@daltex said:

Are YFKM... The issues on E-bay have done nothing but continue over the last 20 years, Either your FOS or I'm just missed that!

YeeHaw!

Neil

For example, there is no longer any debate about whether a seller will accept PayPal, optimistically grade raw cards, add ridiculously high shipping (to evade FVF), or demand buyers pay higher charges if they want guaranteed delivery. Still a ton of issues, but most of the ones that bothered people (at least on this forum) sixteen years ago have been solved.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

As I mentioned before, keyword spamming, using the word "set" when it's not even close to a complete set (remember I collect complete sets), key word spamming like "PSA ready" or "PSA 8 should be 9 or 10" or "[no name grader] comparable to PSA SGC BGS" Another super annoying thing is when they play ignorance "I am not an expert grader" and the like. Or how about posting a "make offer" but auto rejecting any offers below the asking price...then why did you bother putting in a "make offer" button??

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

The inability to remove specific listings from my search results forever.

Yes, that listing fits all of my search criteria. No, I will never want to buy that specific card.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

@stevegarveyfan said:
    "MINT for its age"

Using the term "rare" when listing a 1986 Donruss Ron Guidry

I came across a listing not too long ago where they said the condition was VG-MT....Uh, that's a pretty large range! lol

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭

I like when a seller is selling a raw box of either say wax packs in a wax box, or say cello packs in a cello box, and they take a total of say 10 photos !!!!!! 1 photo of the raw packs and 9 pictures of the box. When I see this I am always thinking the seller is hiding something. Please take 9 photos of the raw packs and 1 picture of the box you have that is deteriorating.

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭

Scammers with zero feedback scores who buy a card and pay immediately. They then file a returns claim a full month later and send back garbage and ebay allows it unless you fight tooth and nail.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

when e bay collects sales tax when your state doesn't have a internet tax and they are in no hurry to pay it back

• Options
    DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Wow so many things....but I'll concentrate on issues with sellers. I buy HOF football cards and I hate the description spamming of using HOF when a player obviously is not like Josh Allen for example. My other pet peeve is sellers putting just ridiculous prices for BIN entries and then adding or best offer. Need an example? Check out the 1977 Topps Dave Casper PSA 8 for $799.99 or best offer that is out there right now....geeeshh. Do sellers not look to see what others are asking for the same card they are trying to sell before listing it? If I'm buying a card for a HOF set I generally look to see what that card has sold for on ebay in the advanced search choosing sold listings as well as looking at the PSA price guide history and average. You can generally get a good idea what a card is selling for, most listings are double or more these days....hard to fill sets let alone buy a star card no matter what the population is.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Consignors who put stickers on “high end”cards and accompany that with a disclaimer that they are “not third party graders”. The only thing that’s worse than that is if they then shill the card. No wait - it’s worse if they “restore” the card, then shill it. No wait - it’s worse if they restore it, sticker it, shill it, then block you if you ask about it. No wait - what was the question?

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:
    I'd say for me; Non-Paying Buyers

Hey, I got two more...I just don't get it with Non-paying buyers

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

bad sellers or sellers that wont leave you feedback as buyer

• Options
    edited August 21, 2021 5:55AM

Oh here's one I've noticed a few times lately...sellers who sell complete sets...and the only picture(s) is the closed set box and don't show any of the actual cards. Like, what's the point? You might as well not have a picture at all!

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    FluxFlux Posts: 149 ✭✭

Constant & unnecessary changes.

• Options
    CrashingwavesCrashingwaves Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

The most recent one that has really irked me..... eBay charging a % fee to collect tax. I ship from Canada... have no idea what state taxes are but damn... some state taxes do add to the fees.

Question - When a US sellers ships to Canada using the GSP... do they pay a fee on the import taxes (federal taxes)? Or is eBay only adding the process % fee to state taxes?

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pop up ads. Every time I go to click on a new message , the screen drops and I click on some stupid advertisement. It freaking annoys me.

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pab1969 said:
    The pop up ads. Every time I go to click on a new message , the screen drops and I click on some stupid advertisement. It freaking annoys me.

Man, that IS annoying!

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭

@pab1969 said:

pop up ads send those on the Highway to Hell !!!!

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2021 6:33PM

@pab1969 said:

Use adblock plus and it stops them! Very few adds ever get through it on most sites.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slimies said:

I'll never understand why buyers care about a seller leaving feedback.

It's meaningless.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 things come to mind. Pet peeves about sellers, not necessarily eBay as a sales format.

1. Pictures of slabs taken at odd angles that hide centering issues, A "head on" photo or scan will do thank you.
    2. Cards priced at ridiculous levels, to the point it's obvious you don't want to sell the card. We research previous auction prices. "Hey, that card you priced at $7,800 has never sold for more than $600."
    3. Sellers who ignore requests to consolidate shipping costs when I'm buying multiple cards from his/her store.
  • Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2021 8:52PM

@JoeBanzai said:

@slimies said:

It's meaningless.

about 2 years ago i ran into a seller who was selling hockey printing plates but wanted his customers to have a 50 feedback or higher ... i had 40 at the time so i couldnt buy any of the plates.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

Holiday "rack packs".

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slimies said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@slimies said:

It's meaningless.

about 2 years ago i ran into a seller who was selling hockey printing plates but wanted his customers to have a 50 feedback or higher ... i had 40 at the time so i couldnt buy any of the plates.

That makes sense.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Easy......constantly having sellers make changes to their listings.

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Sellers who only post a picture or two without a description of the card.

• Options

@baz518 said:
    Holiday "rack packs".

Do we now know exactly the who and when of where those came from? I mean we all know they were repackaging of cards but I mean more specific.

WISHLIST
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2021 9:17AM

As I am more currently purchasing records you run into the same kind of things with cards so I'll give a visual example pulling from my collection of one I have owned for years (part of a collection bought many moons ago).

Take picture head on with flash. Doesn't look bad.

Take picture in direct sun lined up directly above but at a distance. Show half of cover. Crop out surroundings area. Again, doesn't look bad. You can see it has some slight issues and what some might call light ring wear (cover).

Reality when taking pictures using proper angles and direct light.

Amazing what actually pops out in proper lighting.

And that cover with light ring wear.

You sometimes will see in the description to look at the pictures to see condition and all they show is the album cover. Although you can gamble if the covers look to be in great shape it's never a given the album will be. Or they show just a picture of the records label but not of the actual vinyl.

Blurry photos are great and lets not forget taking pics in almost complete darkness (see that in cards as well).

You see this a lot for condition. Condition: Used. That's it. One picture of the cover or if in a lot, covers (usually half or less as they fan them out). But don't forget to look at picture for condition.

I've seen lines like not bad considering the age (again no details or pictures showing any bit of the record).

Obviously ask questions before purchase/bidding. But just like card sellers, people selling records have a habit of not answering questions. If they primarily deal in vinyl this should throw up a red flag if they never respond. In fact most times if it's a person that doesn't usually sell vinyl they tend to be very willing to answer questions and take additional pictures.

And just for the heck of it, my grading of the above record is:

Media Condition: Good (G)
    Sleeve Condition: Good (G)
    Notes: Plays better then it looks. Sticker on label side 1. Seam splits, ring wear and residue of something that had been stuck on cover. Plain inner sleeve.

**Good (G), Good Plus (G+)
    Vinyl

Generally worth 10-15% of the Near Mint value. A record in Good or Good Plus condition can be played through without skipping. But it will have significant surface noise, scratches, and visible groove wear. A cover or sleeve will have seam splits, especially at the bottom or on the spine. Tape, writing, ring wear, or other defects will be present. While the record will be playable without skipping, noticeable surface noise and "ticks" will almost certainly accompany the playback. **

• Options

Listings like this one! I was pretty excited until I clicked on it and looked at the photos only to find that it's OC. Would have been a heck of a deal had it not been OC.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363524239427?hash=item54a3bbb043:g:izcAAOSwFA1hLF2P

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Addition of taxes and deletion of eBay bucks.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    WinkWink Posts: 103 ✭✭

Deans Cards.....EOM

• Options

@Nathaniel1960 said:

When was the last time they ever made a change for the better?

WISHLIST
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Estil said:

@Nathaniel1960 said:

When was the last time they ever made a change for the better?

People seem to be generally more approving than disapproving of when ebay added the standard envelope as a tracked shipping option for low cost / low value items. I don't use them since I pretty much only sell graded, barely ever raw, and the items I do purchase raw are typically a little bit higher value than what is sent in those envelopes, so I can't really offer a personal opinion on them. But, that change was relatively recent.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Living in the Eastern Time Zone..... I am always having to add 3 hours to the time posted on my ebay page b/c they use P.S.T. .... I have missed plenty of auctions expiring over the last 20 years due to not factoring in the correct time.... How does EBAY Not have the capability to know what time zone I am in to correctly display MY TIME ZONE expiration? .

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@Barfvader said:
    As I am more currently purchasing records you run into the same kind of things with cards so I'll give a visual example pulling from my collection of one I have owned for years (part of a collection bought many moons ago).

Take picture head on with flash. Doesn't look bad.

Take picture in direct sun lined up directly above but at a distance. Show half of cover. Crop out surroundings area. Again, doesn't look bad. You can see it has some slight issues and what some might call light ring wear (cover).

Reality when taking pictures using proper angles and direct light.

Amazing what actually pops out in proper lighting.

And that cover with light ring wear.

You sometimes will see in the description to look at the pictures to see condition and all they show is the album cover. Although you can gamble if the covers look to be in great shape it's never a given the album will be. Or they show just a picture of the records label but not of the actual vinyl.

Blurry photos are great and lets not forget taking pics in almost complete darkness (see that in cards as well).

You see this a lot for condition. Condition: Used. That's it. One picture of the cover or if in a lot, covers (usually half or less as they fan them out). But don't forget to look at picture for condition.

I've seen lines like not bad considering the age (again no details or pictures showing any bit of the record).

Obviously ask questions before purchase/bidding. But just like card sellers, people selling records have a habit of not answering questions. If they primarily deal in vinyl this should throw up a red flag if they never respond. In fact most times if it's a person that doesn't usually sell vinyl they tend to be very willing to answer questions and take additional pictures.

And just for the heck of it, my grading of the above record is:

Media Condition: Good (G)
    Sleeve Condition: Good (G)
    Notes: Plays better then it looks. Sticker on label side 1. Seam splits, ring wear and residue of something that had been stuck on cover. Plain inner sleeve.

**Good (G), Good Plus (G+)
    Vinyl

Generally worth 10-15% of the Near Mint value. A record in Good or Good Plus condition can be played through without skipping. But it will have significant surface noise, scratches, and visible groove wear. A cover or sleeve will have seam splits, especially at the bottom or on the spine. Tape, writing, ring wear, or other defects will be present. While the record will be playable without skipping, noticeable surface noise and "ticks" will almost certainly accompany the playback. **

they gonna start grading albums now ?

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

they gonna start grading albums now ?

Well I was going to say nothing would surprise me as there is a company that grades and slabs DVD/Blu-Ray/VHS/Beta and just found this https://aagservices.org/ for records.

• Options
    SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 197 ✭✭✭✭

Waiting days for a seller to finally ship my item, then waiting as more days go by without a tracking update while it's between post offices.

I have one item currently (only $15 so not that big of a deal) that departed a post office on 8/17 and hasn't been updated since.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barfvader

this is the exact reason ive never buy vinyl online anymore unless it was for display purposes or the sleeve. dont even get me into ones claiming to be new and sealed. folks think rewrapping is bad in cards.

• Options
    ReedDACWReedDACW Posts: 39 ✭✭✭

As a seller, after declining offers of 50%, 60%, 70%, 75%, and 80% of our asking price from the same "buyer", them asking "what's your best price?" These never happen on low pop commons, they are always for 52T Mantles, Jordan rookies, high end wax, etc.

I know sometimes we reach on our prices, but for the most part, I think we price our items fairly and to sell. If a buyer recognizes our asking price is reasonable (evidenced by the last offer at 80%) why waste all that time by offering insulting figures?

I often hear people say "well it doesn't hurt to ask." No, it absolutely does hurt. Good first impressions are important. Bad ones could prove difficult to overcome.

Reed