Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1984 Donruss Baseball - the unofficial but legal thread

Comments

• Options
    Well, we finally caught the 1972 Topps thread at 2048 entries, and now only trail the NFL HOF'ers thread! image
    BrentR

1984 Donruss Basic/Master #1 100% 2008 Modern Set Award
    Cal Ripken Jr. Rookie Set 100%
    Ken Griffey Jr. Rookie Set #1T All 10-100%
    Randy Johnson Rookie Set #1T All 10-100%
    Frank Thomas Rookie Set #1T All 10-100%
    Sammy Sosa Rookie Set #1T All 10-100%
    Jeff Bagwell Rookie Set #1 100%
    1993 Finest Promos #1T 100%
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Well, lets keep going and kick some nfl'er message but
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    LET'S GO GET 'EM BOYZ!..................
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Visited a local card shop today and saw a couple of hand collated sets of 84D for sale for $60 each.
    I was rushed for time, so I did not have a chance to look through them for condition. What are some
    of the potential low pop cards that are difficult to find in 10 condition.

I have looked at past posts in the thread and know some to look for, but do not have access to the pop
    reports to see the current standings.

• Options
    I have mixed feelings about passing the '72 thread since I started that one. image

But, I have to say that I'm much more emotionally involved with the '84 Donruss set than the set from the year of my birth.

Brent, e-mail is going back to you shortly.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Piman... there are really a lot of low pop's left in this set, believe it or not. There are still well over 200 diff cards that have pop-5's or less. So, I'd say if you inspect a sample of about 50-60 cards carefully (about 10% of the set) and they look really good, you'd have a good chance of pulling at least some good low pop's, just by the law of averages. I doubt that many poeple would know enough about this set and the recent low pop craze to purposely put in poor condition low pops, but you never know I guess. I'll be heading to my local few shops over the weekend to see what I can find. And, I'll be hitting a card show for the first time in about 10 years next weekend as well.
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    Jim, I might have to bust open that last factory set that I have set aside (although, I might actually have two left) to see about those low pops. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Yeah Arny, I've been watching those on ebay lately thinking about picking up a couple. What would you say is a good price for one? I haven't been tracking them long enough to know.
    Jim G
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    I haven't tracked them lately. I know that I was picking them up in the $70-$110 range. The low end was when I was buying them in quantities of 3 or more.

I see that they've ended from $75 to $100 lately though. So, right around the range. There's someone with a "make an offer" and he has them at $119.95. So, you could probably end up getting that one for less.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    For those of you that would want to try a 'resub'....this could be a candidate. Nice centering on this Joe Carter RR.

Joe Carter Rookie
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    page turn
    BrentR

• Options
    page turn
    BrentR

• Options
    Thanks Arny - image
  • Options
    Way to go Billy boy!

I should've offered that myself! I didn't think he'd take it. Oh well, lesson learned image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Anry - As usual, it's a crap shoot. In thinking about this, it wasn't that long ago that kkpkrk was outbidding everybody (and had been for a few years) on Carter psa 10's, and normally you couldn't touch one unless you outbid him at around $450. What are they selling now for - less than half that? Seems like the tough Carters' been replaced by $400+ Rogers and other commons..........

Ain't this collecting stuff kinda crazy? Just when you think you've seen it all, something else mindboggling happens.
  • Options
    Well, maybe Ichirofan has some special powers. The two killer pop 4's I had up on ebay went for $22.02 each. I guess my luck just isn't all that great. Oh well.
    BrentR

• Options
    You can never tell on the bidding for any card.....I've watched over the last year or so the prices for Cal Ripken PSA 10's go up and down like crazy. Depends on who is logged in and bidding....just never know......
  • Options
    Nope... no magic here (unfortunately)image One of the biggest keys to realizing top $$ for these 10's is that the card must meet 2 criteria:

1) Upsala must need the card for his set
    2) Either PJPMint or one of a couple others willing to bid over $100 must also need the card

In my case, the Rogers was a no-brainer cuz it was a pop-1... they all needed it! Same general scenario with the pop-2 Bell. I did get lucky with the pop-4 Stenhouse because both Upsala & PJP needed it, as well as 1 other big bidder.

Given this, and that neither PJP or Upsala appear to have their sets on the registry, it's almost a crap-shoot knowing which pop-4's to pop-6's will go for big bucks. I've tried to do some tracking to help me out, but I'm sure that it's far from comprehensive. Either way, I would still sell every 10 I got back from PSA, but it would kind of be nice to have a general idea whether you're gonna get $20 or $200+.

Unfortunately for Brent, it looks like PJP didn't need either of these cards, which is why Upsala won them for so cheap. Still though, I'm a bit surprised that a couple of the other buyers didn't jump in for that price. I hope they are not starting to get intimidated by Upsala outbidding on (almost) every 10 that shows up.
    Jim G
  • Options
    I put an updated list of 1984 Donruss for sale on the BST board.

Arny, still no poppage on your submission? How many days has it been now?
    Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
    1960-62 Fleer Team Logo Decals Run
  • Options
    Hey guys... you see that psa-set-guy listed another #523 Speier 10? This after Upsala won the one he had up last week for $305. That means that PSG had at least 2 of the 3 Speier 10's in existance (must be nice). That guy does seem to get an amazing amount of 10's from this set now that I think about it. Anyway, we'll see what this Speier goes for without Upsala in the mix. The only other bidders on last weeks' Speier were PJPmint and (I think) Brent. Brent, if you don't bid on this one, it could end up going for $9.99. Wouldn't that be something... $300 to $10 in a week?!?!
    Jim G
  • Options
    Lol, yeah exactly. It will be interesting to see what that puppy goes for. I'll be watching...
    BrentR

• Options
    Spahn,

It's been over 60 days....still waiting. I had a big hold up at first as I sent in my sub to another collector and I sent them payment. Payment was delayed in some way and he sent me back the cards and the check which ended up saving me about $100 ($6 bulk vs $5 special :ThumbsUpimage by the time I 'resubmitted' them through Josh (envoy). So, I've got about 90 cards (which approximately 60 are '84 Donruss) waiting and waiting to be slabbed with 10s! image

I've grown numb almost at this point and I just hope that I don't blasted with a bunch of 8s or something. I expect a couple of potential 8s (or 8.5s) from some that I'm hoping will end up 9s like Bob Horner #535. But, the majority of the cards are PSA 10 shape. Most of those are upgrades on current 9s that I have in the set. So, we'll see how it goes.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Hang tight Arny, I had a submission that took almost as much time as you've experienced.....just curious if the buyer of the Kittle PSA 10 has paid yet. I'm still waiting on the payment for the PSA 9 Kittle that they won off me......I sent another reminder but am about ready to start negative feedback process......you'd think that they would at least answer my messages, even a Not Interested Anymore so beat it would be somethingimage
  • Options
    Upsala is bidding on the Speier. I'm not sure if he is trying to build a set or corner the market on '84's! lol
    BrentR

• Options
    yeah, I just saw that for myself! I did notice through my research that Upsala had not only bid on multiples of the same card, but had also won multiples as well. I didn't think too much of it cuz they were cheaper cards (all uner $20 I think) and I figured he just forgot somehow that he already had won them... like maybe they were in-transit or something. But, him bidding again on another Speier after he just forked out $300 for one last week? Amazing!
    Jim G
  • Options
    Looks like 4SC listed about 40 PSA-10's todayimage Yet another reason to hate those guys! Although, on the good side (for me anyway) looks like only 3 of them are low pops. Still, can you imagine how many they had to sub to get that many 10's? Although maybe they are one of PSA's "preferred" customers... if you know what I mean.

On another note... what do you guys think is a fair/decent price to pay for bulk lots of Mint condition 84-D commons? I'm trying to work out a deal with someone and it seems like he's high-balling me. I offerred him 2.5 cents each first, then upped it to 3.2 cents, but he's wanting around 4.5-5.0 cents per card. Thing is, he's sold similar lots for closer to 3 cents per card, which is why I think he's trying to milk me for more money. His premise is that Beckett low has these at 8 cents each... as if anyone actually pays close to what Beckett lists for commons! But maybe 84-D is the exception? What do you think?
    Jim G
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Page turn.....?
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>His premise is that Beckett low has these at 8 cents each... as if anyone actually pays close to what Beckett lists for commons! But maybe 84-D is the exception? What do you think? >>

Pay him $0.08 per card, but tell him you only want the mint and centered cards.
  • Options
    lol... yeah, I'd glady pay that if he could garuntee me they'd all be centered AND with 4 sharp corners.. but we all know that's not gonna happen. Maybe I'll tell him I'll pay hi 4.5 cents as long as I can return any cards with corner dings for a full refund of 4.5 cents per card. at 3 cents I'm willing to accept some crap, but 4.5 cents seems a bit steep for commons... even for our beloved 84-D!
    Jim G
  • Options
    I will never understand the great upsala. image
  • Options
    page turn
    BrentR

• Options
    page turn
    BrentR

• Options
    looks like it's dk kittle-time all over again. good grief.
  • Options
    Yeah, that one-feedbacker probabaly didn't pay and is now bidding up pjpmint again. Weird. Ebay should kick this guy off pretty soon. Has he paid you yet, Al?
    BrentR

• Options
    Looks like an affordable Joe Carter PSA 10, but it doesn't really look like a 10 to me. I guess it got the "4SC" treatment image

Joe Carter PSA 10
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    No payment to Al yet. I don't think he is going to pay....I also hope this isn't one of those bidders who likes to ring up negatives just for the heck of it......I would hate to lose my 100% positive to someone like this.....I sent reminder this week and so far no response. soon I'll be starting the process to get my listing fees back.

al.
  • Options
    Tried to fix the crappy scan on the 9 - this is the best I could do. If 4SC's is really in 10-land, the 9 belongs there also IMO.

imageimage
  • Options
    Bill, is that the Carter that I mentioned earlier this week? If so, that's definitely a better looking Carter! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arny - Yes it is. While it's pretty nice, I don't think it's a slam-dunk 10. T/B isn't perfect, and the left side seems to have a slight tilt. And that's only the centering aspect. Meanwhile my shop-vise is ready image
  • Options
    So Upsala won the other Speier. I really don't know what he's after. If he's building a set, he wouldn't buy duplicates. If he's not, then why? These cards won't be worth this much later when they are no longer low pops.
    BrentR

• Options
    Yeah, this baffles me as well. I understand paying really high prices for low-pop cards if you've got the extra money lying around, but why would he want multiples of some, yet be willing to let others go (like the pop-2 Bell I had up a while back) that he doesn't have yet? I could drive myself crazy trying to figure this $%*^ outimage He can't think that he can corner the market on low pops, then re-sell at even higher prices... can he? Maybe he's trying to put the #1 & #2 sets together? But if that were the case, I don't know why he doesn't even have one set on the registry yet.
    Jim G
  • Options

<< <i>..Yeah, this baffles me as well... >>

I think Upsala just likes kicking peoples tails at auctions. I offered him a card at $200 less than he won it for via auction.
  • Options
    lol, well if he wants the best set, he'll still have a challenge. It would take a long time and serious cash to buy over 600 10's at the prices he's paying. Hopefully we can keep him from being #1, or 2 for that matter.
    BrentR

• Options
    True enough... especially on the time aspect. It seems like he's only going for 10's, and there are still about 10 cards with zero 10's available to date. Add to that all of the pop 1's that you guys have in your sets (assuming you won't sell them to himimage and it will probably take years before he completes his set in all 10's. However, I really don't think money will be an issue for him. He's already spent well over $7,000 on his set for approx 250 cards. When the dust settles, I wouldn't be surprised if he topped $20,000 for the whole thing in 10's... maybe more considering all of the low pops he probably still needs.
    Jim G
  • Options
    Shoot, I'll be over $20K with shipping included with very few cards in the hundreds of dollars. His set is gonna cost a ton.
    BrentR

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Carter must get a lot of scrutiny. I thought this had a good shot at a 10.
  • Options
    a different day, a different grade? I've seen worse 10's than your 9.
  • Options
    yeah... not only that, but I think it's a well known fact (or at the very least, a heavily supported consiracy theory) that star/HOF/RC cards usually recieve more scrutiny than commons. My experience with 72 Topps supports this in that I have got several HOF'ers that were sure-fire 8's and they came back mostly 7's and a couple of 6's. When you compared them side-by-side with most of my PSA-8 commons from that year, they looked at least as good, if not better. The most frustrating has been my 72 Ryan. I originally thought it had a shot at a 9, but no worse than an 8. Sure enough, it came back a 7... twice! I wonder if I sent it in a 3rd time if it would get a 7.5?

Good point about the cost Brent. I think what Upsala ends up paying will exceed the $20k mark as long as competitors like PJP and a few others keep pushing him. Who knows how many more low-pops he needs, but at $100-$400 per card, that will add up real quick.
    Jim G
  • Options
    Arny, email sent
    BrentR

• Options
    Hi guys, any word yet on whether or not the person who sold the DK Kittle ever received payment? I haven't received the payment for the PSA 9 that I sold to the same bidder and it's closing in on two months....just my curiosity image