Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Today's mail day:
    You don't see these too often. Cards came with a shotwell candy bar.
    Not sure why its a 3...I don't see any major issues with it...no creasing???? hmmm....
  • Options
    my first red man. we'll see if i will continue on with the set.

• Options
    nice redman...looks great in the SGC holder
  • Options
    And great looking Gray Ghost to boot! Congrats a VG 3 is a nice grade, it has a wee bit OC cut I believe.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Two more for the set, with the new flips:

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Just got this Dennis Johnson on the mail today. Celtic great who passed away last year. A finalist for the Hall of Fame this year.

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Matt, I'm kinda surprised there's any Emmitt cards left out there that you don't already have.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Matt, I'm kinda surprised there's any Emmitt cards left out there that you don't already have. >>

Yeah, there's lots and lots of them....counting cards with my brother Charlie Babbitt

• Options
    Nice new addition Matt.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    More additions to my various Awards related sets...

Jack Sanford - 1957 NL ROY______________________________Jack Morris - 1991 World Series MVP

imageimage

Barry Zito - 2002 AL CY (and the last "Barry" in SF)
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Just rec'd the JJax back from PSA, Crossover from BVG4.5 -The Mick rookie is from a board member.

imageimage
  • Options
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Great Mantle rookie! And I love the Jackson...I hope to spring for one of those someday.
  • Options
    Nice Mantle.

Had a pretty large mail day, so while this is not the coolest card in the lot, it is interesting as the Moon jersey piece is heavily worn....and since it was slabbed before being put into packs, no worries on a middle man having worked on it.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Yet another addition to the Master set I'm working on. I already had an ungraded one but since I was able to get this for less then $4 I figured why not. Plus mine had some chipping on the edges which is characteristic of these foil Rcs.

2000 Collectors Edge Supreme Chad Pennington RC #'d/2000
  • Options
    Recent pick ups

Notice the mislabeled year, LOL

Drew Stanton XFRACTOR 1/25

1996 Finest sliver refractor
  • Options
    1977 Rack Pack GAI 9 from Baseball Card Exchange

The Bradshaw looks like a strong 8 / weak 9 IMO

• Options
    Got a few items in the mail today...

Wade Boggs Rookie

1959 Ernie Banks Baseball Thrills

And a couple of blue back beaters. I needed the Ashburn for my personal collection and the price was right. These will be going off for grading.

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭
    Back from PSA (thanks greg)
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - great stuff guys - there's always way too much stuff to comment on but will try later.

But - first off.

Ryan - your Grange card caught my eye - I've never seen it before - way too cool and looks way better than the 3 they assigned. Is the Shotwell a FB set? Are you doing the set or just specific 'type' cards?

Very nice.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    An addition for my 1955 set.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

You mean it's not the year 2489?

Marty, fill the mr fusion, we gotta go back to 2008 before psa creates a paradoxal disaster!
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

Finally got my 10 to go along with my 2 9's. Now I really want a Bowman Chrome 9 or 10 (probably a 9 price range)!!!!

And these two from my little prospecting of local guys. I love the Blue refractors!
  • Options

<< <i>Wow - great stuff guys - there's always way too much stuff to comment on but will try later.

But - first off.

Ryan - your Grange card caught my eye - I've never seen it before - way too cool and looks way better than the 3 they assigned. Is the Shotwell a FB set? Are you doing the set or just specific 'type' cards?

Very nice.
    mike >>

Mike-
    Shotwell was a candy company that included cards from a movie starring Red Grange with their candy bars. All cards are of Grange..football only. I have looked for a graded example of a shotwell for a while..I am trying to have at least one card from all of the vintage football sets. I am contemplating crossing it over to SGC...I agree the card looks nicer than a 3. The centering is off, but many of these are cut this way, so am a little curious as to the grade. I would love to build the set, but even raw examples sell for several hundred, so unless I win the lottery, this may be my only example of a shotwell.

Ryan

P.S. Bluemarlin love the Spahn.......buying that 55 Aaron has woke me up to vintage baseball OH NO!!!!! image
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Agreed, that Grange looks way better than the grade. The Galloping Ghost is on my regular search list and I can vouche for the fact that these Shotwells do not show up very often... very sweet score, BDB.

Aside from a few 1950 Bowmans for my set, I received another of the big names for my 1955 TAA set this week. It has decent centering for this release, but does have a slight slant to it unfortunately. I bid accordingly and was actually surprised to have won it.

Thought it was interesting that the 1955TT Knute appears to be based of the same photo as National Chicle used some 20 years earlier.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend and keep the scans coming!

Snorto~
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>
    Notice the mislabeled year, LOL
    >>

The year is 2489AD and SkyNet, the 21st century computer waging a losing war on humans, sends a Terry Bradshaw Terminator cyborg unit back in time to destroy the leader of the human resistance, John Connor, while he is still a boy.

Snorto~
  • Options
    Nice Rockne's there Snorto! image

Ryan, I love the fact that Vintage Baseball is in your thoughts now.....image
  • Options

<< <i>Nice Rockne's there Snorto! image

Ryan, I love the fact that Vintage Baseball is in your thoughts now.....image >>

Paul-Stop posting..darn it! I can't get the Perkies out of my thoughts either!!!!!!!!! image
  • Options
  • Options
    OK Why is it every time I click on this thread it wont let me view anything past my post of last night- 3/1 @ 9:01pm?

Freakin' aggrevating image
  • Options
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Love the 72 baseball set!

Robert
  • Options
    djspanndjspann Posts: 541

<< <i>Thought it was interesting that the 1955TT Knute appears to be based of the same photo as National Chicle used some 20 years earlier.

Snorto~ >>

Good point on the photo, Snorto. Rockne died in a plane crash in 1931 -- I wonder if there aren't very many other good photos of him.

Doug
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice Rockne's there Snorto! image

Ryan, I love the fact that Vintage Baseball is in your thoughts now.....image >>

Paul-Stop posting..darn it! I can't get the Perkies out of my thoughts either!!!!!!!!! image >>

Sorry Ryan, I figured I would also give you another look at the '55's!

• Options
    Perk.....I just can't stop staring at those triple D's!!!!!
    I would love to hold them in my hands..and stare at them all night!

I'm talking about your 3 Dodger cards...you perverts! image

Get your minds out of the gutter!
  • Options
    A couple I won last night:

This one is a pop of 16 with no 10s:

and just another common for the set here:
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought some Wichita Wrangler cards since they left town for Arkansas. Both Gordon and Butler played there in 2006 and are with the Royals now.

imageimage

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    Ryan, you must have packages coming in at least 5x a week huh! Great looking McElhenny!
  • Options

<< <i>Ryan, you must have packages coming in at least 5x a week huh! Great looking McElhenny! >>

LOL...not quite 5 a week...but sometimes it seems that way These were the first two I have gotten in since last Tuesday..so it was almost a week between shipments.....too long of a dry spell for my liking. Seriously though, I tend to buy in spurts....there will be a ton of vintage on ebay and I will buy something everyday for a week...but then ebay or my bank account dries up and I will go several weeks without buying anything. I have bought a bunch recently though..I feel a buying "moratorium" coming soon though.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ryan, you must have packages coming in at least 5x a week huh! Great looking McElhenny! >>

LOL...not quite 5 a week...but sometimes it seems that way These were the first two I have gotten in since last Tuesday..so it was almost a week between shipments.....too long of a dry spell for my liking. Seriously though, I tend to buy in spurts....there will be a ton of vintage on ebay and I will buy something everyday for a week...but then ebay or my bank account dries up and I will go several weeks without buying anything. I have bought a bunch recently though..I feel a buying "moratorium" coming soon though. >>

I took a mini vacation from Vintage, I started to find that nothing was jumping out at me like everything was before but now Im getting my interest peeked again so maybe I can post some pics here soon...

BTW- I am starting to find a little interest in some late 50's stars IE: Starr and Unitas...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I took a mini vacation from Vintage, I started to find that nothing was jumping out at me like everything was before but now Im getting my interest peeked again so maybe I can post some pics here soon...

BTW- I am starting to find a little interest in some late 50's stars IE: Starr and Unitas... >>

You cant go wrong with the late 50's stars either. Every once in a while, I will pick one up cheap like the McElhenny. That was only 11 bucks!

I'm looking forward to you posting some "vacation" pics of some nice vintage football cards soon. I have a bunch on their way to me...so this will be a busy week for me....but as I said before, I plan on laying low on buying for a few weeks after a few auctions end tommorow.
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭
    just picked this up the other day,gotta love a jordan auto!

J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    If I had that shirt, I'd have to try it on when I had the house to myself. Niiiice
  • Options

Inscribed with his record 1406 Stolen Base record, never to be surpassed in the sport again!

• Options
    DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
    Couple of things in the mail today:

New Ashburn for my collection... BVG graded with very nice eye appeal...

85 Dan Marino. I love horizontal format cards and you can pick up these 85s graded for very cheap...

• Options
    An excellent new addition to my Manny Ramirez rookie set. TOUGH French variation. Pop 5 in PSA 10.

• Options
    Another one for the set: