Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• To lazy to edit ... Like Kirk! Lower left was won last night:

There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ryan

Rock solid 7!

Where are you at with the set?

Very nice.
    mike >>

Mike
    Thanks. I'm just adding HOFer's to the collection. The only set I am building right now is the 48 Bowman.

High Chopper...What's the going rate on the Lemon jello rookie? I bet it isn't even close to an Orange jello rookie image
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Waterfield Ryan! Thats a few '52 Bowmans you picked up recently huh? Taking a break from the 48's?
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up 5 more pieces of Topps comic art - pen & ink which are on the back sides of baseball cards.

These are from the 90T "Big" card set - as handwritten - the top is Terry Pendleton and the lower Ron Darling.

In the world of proofs - these would be in line with "contact" proofs - simple mock ups for the card's production.

mike
    Mike

<< <i>

<< <i>Ryan

Rock solid 7!

Where are you at with the set?

Very nice.
    mike >>

Mike
    Thanks. I'm just adding HOFer's to the collection. The only set I am building right now is the 48 Bowman.

High Chopper...What's the going rate on the Lemon jello rookie? I bet it isn't even close to an Orange jello rookie image >>

On the 48B side - this one will hit an auction sometime this year?

Have no idea what it'll bring?
    mike
    Mike

<< <i>Nice Waterfield Ryan! Thats a few '52 Bowmans you picked up recently huh? Taking a break from the 48's? >>

Hey Paul...I figured that since you were laying low on the purchase scene recently, that I would swoop in and pick up some 52's too...you've picked up some awesome ones in the past year!

Actually, ebay has been kind of slow with 48 bowmans recently...so to feed my addiction...err I mean collection....I have been been picking up some odds and ends.
    Mike...thats an awesome Baugh! If you plan on selling it soon, I would suggest sending it in for reholdering to get rid of the old flip. I think the reholdering fee will me more than made up for in the selling price. As you know, many people buy the holder not the card...and some have the perception that older PSA labels are inferior.

That Baugh would be a keeper in my collection...why do you want to sell it?

<< <i>Mike...thats an awesome Baugh! If you plan on selling it soon, I would suggest sending it in for reholdering to get rid of the old flip. I think the reholdering fee will me more than made up for in the selling price. As you know, many people buy the holder not the card...and some have the perception that older PSA labels are inferior.

That Baugh would be a keeper in my collection...why do you want to sell it? >>

I bought the card on a whim back in 1994.

Greg Manning Auctions was running an auction at the National and I bid via phone the minimum but just for fun. I think it was $550.

Well I won 7 or 8 lots at minimum. I had talked to Steve Novella who was working for them at the time and he told me they were furious! They were coaxed into putting it on at the National and had no idea the action would be that lame - and neither did I?

I have no plans on doing the set and I could use the money to pick up another T3 this year since I have no budget for one at this time.

I'm having to also budget for my heritage set - the "Hunt for Heritage" is a fan favorite here - and besides my annual case - I'll be chasing down blaster boxes at Target for 2 months.

I can't let JoeStalin get all of them!!!

Thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • High Chopper...What's the going rate on the Lemon jello rookie? I bet it isn't even close to an Orange jello rookie

Bought the Gideon rookie for my Twins set! Don't know much about different flavors of jello!
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
    I wish I had that kind of luck! I have never bought from any venue besides ebay or shows...maybe I will try some other auctions.

I got a little lucky on my 48 Baugh pick up too. I got it on ebay the night that the Cowboys beat the Packers. I don't know if the game kept some bidders away, but I picked up a 7 that books SMR's for $500 for only 350. I was happy because I had put a minimum bid of $600...and I was ready to pay that much. Another Baugh 7 ended on ebay 3 days later and sold for just over $600. So I was happy.....but my luck doesn't touch the luck you had on that Baugh 8!

Here's mine:

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice Waterfield Ryan! Thats a few '52 Bowmans you picked up recently huh? Taking a break from the 48's? >>

Hey Paul...I figured that since you were laying low on the purchase scene recently, that I would swoop in and pick up some 52's too...you've picked up some awesome ones in the past year!

Actually, ebay has been kind of slow with 48 bowmans recently...so to feed my addiction...err I mean collection....I have been been picking up some odds and ends. >>

Odds and ends? HA HA! Your picking up some BLAZERS! I have been laying low untill the other night, I picked up a decent 52 Nommelini for $95 but thats been about it as of late- I will be trolling back for more soon enough! Not the best of centering but Ill take it...

I was eyeing that Nomellini too. Glad to see it went to you! Congrats.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Another for the set:

• WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Ugly cards in today's mail! image

1972 Puerto Rican Sticker HOF Ray Brown

1946-47 Cuban Los Reyes Del Deporte Joe DiMaggio

1946-47 Cuban Los Reyes Del Deporte Hank Greenberg
    Wondo

• KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    Picked this dude up last night. It screws up the average for my set but hey, it's a Mantle

Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Got a couple today:

Isiah Thomas Bowman chrome game used auto # to 25. Only downside is it is a sticker auto which I hate, but it is another addition to my NBA 50 greatest collection. It is a really nice looking card.

Also got Darryl Dawkins aka Chocolate Thunder from the planet Lovetron. One of my favorite NBAers and Sixers of all time.

• EstilEstil Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭✭
    Good grief those are some nice cards, DrJ! I'm sorry but with that Charlie Brown icon I just couldn't resist. image
    WISHLIST
    D's: 54S,53P,50P,49S,45D+S,44S,43D,41S,40D+S,39D+S,38D+S,37D+S,36S,35D+S,all 16-34's
    Q's: 52S,47S,46S,40S,39S,38S,37D+S,36D+S,35D,34D,32D+S
    74T: 37,38,47,151,193,241,435,570,610,654,655 97 Finest silver: 115,135,139,145,310
    73T:31,55,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,80,152,165,189,213,235,237,257,341,344,377,379,390,422,433,453,480,497,545,554,563,580,606,613,630
    95 Ultra GM Sets: Golden Prospects,HR Kings,On-Base Leaders,Power Plus,RBI Kings,Rising Stars
  • Had a pretty large mail day, which is typical on Mondays. Here are some of my favs from the lot....

Have been wanting this card since it came out...

imageimage

Have been slowly working on all the 2000 Donruss Preferred BGS graded sets, found this cool one of the Beckett site last week. 550 graded with only 7 graded 9.5.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
    Wondo

The Brown card is a beauty and I really like the DiMaggio card - I've never seen it before.

DrJ

Sweet Dawkins card - I like the way it's signed. I agree on the Thomas card - don't care much for the stickems! I understand why they do it - but I'ld rather they stop.

mike
    Mike

• << <i>

DrJ

Sweet Dawkins card - I like the way it's signed. I agree on the Thomas card - don't care much for the stickems! I understand why they do it - but I'ld rather they stop.

mike >>

I really dug the Dawkins card when I saw it on Ebay (it is # to 50). I think I actually got a good deal as a couple days after I got mine, one went for twice as much.

The sticker auto madness has to stop. UD has gotten the hint for the most part, but Topps has gone the opposite direction. I guess they figure it is cheaper to get the guy to sign a bunch of stickers in one shot and then use them on various product lines over the next few years. Also saves time in the production schedule.

J
  • getting close to getting this set done

Bob

That's an incredibly nice Brock! Great color.

Isn't that a "touch" card in the set?

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Awesome run of the 1952 Bowman grandes! Keep this up and we are going to have to start calling you BigDaddyPerkdog.

Snorto~
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    A nice action shot card for my set:

Wondo

Isn't the Brock the toughest 1969? Great card!
    Wondo

<< <i>Awesome run of the 1952 Bowman grandes! Keep this up and we are going to have to start calling you BigDaddyPerkdog.

Snorto~ >>

I could only hope! Big Daddy is my inspiration image
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Superb Duke card Drarin.

He's my favorite CF from the 50s era NY teams! That's right - not the Mick!

mike
    Mike
    Thanks Stone. After seeing some of Duke's later cards, I thought he should have started making western movies after he retired. He would have looked as cool in a cowboy hat as a baseball cap. image
  • Light mail day today. Only got this Bob Cousy auto for my NBA 50 greatest collection:

• alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭
    joe montana TTM auto in 11 days. Signed my homemade football card
    front

back
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Sweet card man.

<< <i>

<< <i>Awesome run of the 1952 Bowman grandes! Keep this up and we are going to have to start calling you BigDaddyPerkdog.

Snorto~ >>

I could only hope! Big Daddy is my inspiration image >>

LOL....those "perkies" always get me inspired!

Nice Snider....but just remember this...for every Bowman baseball card you buy=one less Bowman football card added to your collection!
    Another great Duke!!!

Super card Paul - as much as I like Snider - I don't have that card - I guess mainly since there's just too much to collect and he's not in my "focus" right now.

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Great Snider, Paul!

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • hofautos, your collection is amazing! I honestly look forward to what you post in this thread every day and drool over the cards I'll never have!

Keep it up man.
    Now we have a winner!!!

Great Aaron card! I love the guy!

Based on all the bad press - you may be looking at the true - homerun hero of the last century.

Did you pick that up one ebay or a pull?

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
    Wow, at first I thought that was a 54 Aaron! image
    Thanks for the comments guys! I have wanted that Snider card for some time now and finally landed it. Like Ryan said thats one less Bowman Football I can add to my collection image Oh well, I like a little variety- I LOVE the vintage football but also have a weakness for early to mid 1950's Brooklyn Dodger players!

And that is a GREAT Aaron card, regardless if its a reprint or not. I have a bunch of those type cards, the ones I will prolly never own, my favorite is a '54 Ted Williams Wilson Weiners card, figured I would spend a couple bucks on a mint reprint instead of a few grand on a fair example image

Edit- I didnt see that Aaron was an auto, my bad! SWEEEET card!

• << <i>Wow, at first I thought that was a 54 Aaron! image >>

I have the real one already (grin)...

to everyone else on the reprint auto thanks! ...in answer to the other question, i picked it up BIN on ebay

The "Real" one is a blazer! Great color, the SGC holder really brings it out nice.
    Wow, at first I thought that was a 54 Aaron!image

Wait a minute, it was a 54 Aaron!
    That card is outstanding, with bright, vivid colors. thanks for sharing.