Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would you leave your day job for a career in numismatics?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
Assume that you'll make no more or no less than you are currently earning.

And if your answer is yes, don't forget to mention where you live and if you would consider moving. You never know who's watching the boards!
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Yes, only if I could work for Russ!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    When I am ready to retire, yes. For now I am too close to a nice retirement to give it up. So do PCGS, NGC, and Heritage pay for moves from Europe to the US to work for them?
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Possible as for moving would there be any relocation assistance involved?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Being retired--I have to say YES!!

Won't move from Austin but would be happy to rep for someone part time.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    yes, but i've been unemployed for yearsimage
    don't know if anyone would hire me??
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    oh, the midwest
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Coin dealing is hard work and I'm soon going to be retired. Also, if I have to work dealing coins, the hobby stops being fun. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭
    Sure!
    Anybody in Boston need an accountant?
    I'm much better at accounting than I am at numismatics, that's for sure!

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes!!!

I've been making plans to leave my current job in about a year or so.....Just haven't figured out where yet.

Mid-life crisis, and I can't afford the Porshe. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    Well..... To be successful, I'd have to be able to sell all those coins I'd be buying, right? So, I already see a bit of a, um, profitability issue here. image
    Actually, I would really enjoy working as a cataloguer or researcher, but I'm content to leave the dealing to others.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    For my current salary and a job in the coin business, I'd move anywhere and I'd be 1,000% sure I'd have my wife's blessing. We're currently in Houston.

I'd do it for 40-50% of current salary, without hesitation, if I didn't have to move to a high-cost area and the benefits were at least marginal.

[Edit to add: I'm hoping for a "second career" before too long, once it's financially feasible. I'd rather find a second career I loved from age 40-60 than stick with a job I tolerate until 50 and then retire completely. For a long time, I thought I just didn't want to work, but the bottom line is that I think I'd like to keep "working" to an old age if I loved what I did.]
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Can I start at noon, go out for a 2 hour lunch and then take the rest of the day off?

I won't relocate though.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options

<< <i>Can I start at noon, go out for a 2 hour lunch and then take the rest of the day off?

I won't relocate though. >>

Only if I can be your supervisor----and get paid for my trouble!
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    Can I start at noon, go out for a 2 hour lunch and then take the rest of the day off?

That sounds like my job, but you can have it when and if I burn out and quit.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    I think numismatics works best for me as a hobby. I'd hate to get burned out from NEEDING to do it every day

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    YES!!!! This is a great hobby? Move, you would have to make it worth my while my OWN land and house with no mortgage, makes it purty nice where I live.......

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely, would love to.

If I could guarantee a steady comparable income, and have good health insurance.

Location doesnt matter as I would relocate for the right opportunity.

jim

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    No.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Nah.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy,

If I could make the same that I am making in the Navy, I would quit in a heartbeat. I like my job here, but I love coins.

I live in Hawaii, but would consider living anywhere. My wife would like California of course.

John
  • Options
    One thing people forget, no matter how much you love it, when you do it for a real living-its a job.

It's only a job if you LET IT be a job.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I'd take the plunge.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I would. And I don't mind traveling either.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    Yes, but would not want to relocate.
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image I'd be interested and I live in Virginia Beach, VA.
  • Options

<< <i>and you can't be pushy while they seperate you from your coins. >>

They can't seperate you from your coins!
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    You bet. I'll sign for a 5-7 year contract. Relocation? No problem, but the employer pays. The wife likes beaches. image
  • Options
    I'd rather own a liquor store with 1" clear glass between me and the customers---Drunks are nicer too.image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I would do it without question. I'd actually try to make 2 careers out of it. The ideal job to me would be a marketing position for one of the major grading companies. They all get a lot of business, but many of the marketing needs help.

The second part of it would be to bring numismatics to the schools. In many schools, money is a segment of the curriculum and on top of that, you can work in a great amount of significant history. Why they had what coins when and why did the metal change for a year or three. That really gets kids thinking about coins and money.

Midwest and yes, I would move for the right company.
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    A clear and definitive, NO!
    Trime
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything is more difficult than it used to be.

I'm still kickin' though.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    Yes, I live in Columbia, SC and would be willing to relo.

Dan
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask the wannabes, they got great gigs, they still have day jobs and play coins at night!

Or it could be that they work at their day job during the day and then work at their coin job at night.
    Remember during our last session Laura? We were working on tact.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    " a career in numismatics" is pretty broad.

I'll answer "maybe", depending on the tasks of the job.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have *the* most boring job in the world; I'm trying to get out of it and into Anthropology, but coins would be a dream come true. I live in the Bay Area, California.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be a change...image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

I'm working on a new venture that will help to further advance the numismatic world, so in a way the answer is "I'm in the process". I'm a business guy, a technologist and a numismatist...so in this new venture I hope I'll be able to fulfill the 3 things that I enjoy being involved in.
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    No. I love what I do for a living--that's why I chose it.
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    F**K NO!
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    When I retire I'll likely become a very specialized dealer and will do a bit of travelling for the shows with it. The primary reason I'd go about doing it wouldn't be for profit, but rather to preach the love that is only found in Holey Coins.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose I'd consider it, but I live in a town of 3,000 in a *county* of 25,000, THREE HOURS from the nearest US city with more than 40,000. We like it here, and God willing, we'll never have to leave. I think being a full-time coin guy here would be impractical.

Were it not for that, I'd be interested in being a grader or a catalog person. I'd have no interest in running a shop. Too many depressing broke people coming in to sell their rings & such. I wouldn't have the heart.
    mirabela
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, coins are a hobby to me and if I did it for a regular job, I'd probably get buned out. Hell as it is I get burned out about 3 times a year and consider selling it all and never looking back.

That would be a hell of an existence.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely not. I am fortunate enough to be doing something which suits my temperament, quirkiness, and can do well. I suppose if the money was there, I'd be up for doing research and write books, ie., maybe update the Overton book on Bust Halves, or update Breen's "Coin Encyclopedia."

But buying and selling coins for a living, not a chance.
    1) Selling implies dealing with the general public. This is difficult under the best of circumstances. Remember, the customer is always right, and as we know, many people in the coin business shall I say are 'difficult, and I am being VERY kind.
    2) As a CPA, I can tell you that the auditors to fear the most are those who deal exclusively with state sales tax. Pertaining to coins, state sales tax IMO is not difficult, but if you screw up, you will get nailed, I guarantee it.
    3) Travelling for business gets old, and Laura's comments re security and thieves should not be taken lightly.
    4) I get the impression that coin dealers always have their money "on the table." Ie., profits from the sale of coin one usually go into buying other coins. Inventory must constantly be turned over. That's tough.
    5) Lastly, if you screw up buying an expensive coin - ie., you didn't notice a scratch, fingerprint, etc., and paid strong money for it, you're going to unload it (see #4) at a large loss.

I think it would take all of the enjoyment out of numismatics for me. I'll pass, thank you.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    No.

I am not a coin dealer, I only play one on eBay. image

Joe.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    since you said that I would make as much as I do now, sure, but they can't afford me.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would end up hating coins and numismatics if I did it for a living. No way in Hell. image

Tyler
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah......I love collecting, and I’m afraid it would ruin it for me.

Similarly, I wouldn’t want to become a gynecologist, either. image

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file