Home U.S. Coin Forum

Shake, Rattle and Rock! A HepKitty giveaway! 1950's Style! Frankies baby, can you say 1953 S? WINNE

LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
Dig it cats!

The 1950's was a jumpin' era! The Kiddy-o's all accross the Country were Boppin' to a knocked out a beat, a new sound, far removed
from the Pop music of their parents...

The Cars being made were awesome and would one day go down as Classics, and in my mind the beauty of these machines with fins has NEVER been equaled, the Golden Age of the automobile! Imagine buying a brand new 1956 BelAir fresh off of the showroom.

And the Cats and Kittys..... Sideburns and Ducktails, Saddles and Poodle Skirts... Some of you were actually there and lived it and have many fond memories. Some like me refuse to let this awesome era die, as a 1950's lifestyle is my life. I get Crazy man Crazy!

And a very special coin was being minted, a large coin.... The Frankie!!! A everyday part of life in the 1950's! I have a special bond with this coin as it comes from the Fabulous 1950's! Good times Hepcats and Kittens! Good times always Roll with Lucille... Those that have met me personally know it....

I put together a little 1950's package of some goodies....... All you have to do to have a chance is to post to this thread, and if you would like, share anything on your mind about coins, this forum, the people on the forum, whatever it might be. I personally am very proud to be a part of this online community, the PCG US coin forums. We have some very special and unique members here.. We can get grumpy and be stubborn adults, but we can also love and help others...

Here is what the winner gets:

A PCGS 1956 MS64FBL Frankie that is brilliant blast white:

A raw 1953 S Frankie, this one has a strong strike, though it isnt FBL, but it is a nice coin with strong luster, notice the bold lettering on this coin and the detail in the upper bell area, and a strong pass and stow. This coin is a strong strike for a 53 s:

And two 1950's movies on DVD from my personal collection.

Shake, Rattle and Rock -1956:
It's "rock and roll vs. the squares" in this classic 1950s rock and roll film starring Touch (Mike) Connors as a deejay whose plans to open a teen music club meet with opposition from the stuffy town leaders. Cool teen dance and jitterbug scenes. Rock n roll by: Fats Domino, Big Joe Turner, Tommy Charles. Lisa Gaye, Sterling Holloway, Raymond Hatton, Douglas Dumbrille, Margaret Dumont.

Mr. Rock And Roll - 1957:
Alan Freed is Mr. Rock and Roll as he sets out to prove that RnR doesn't cause juvenile delinquency. Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Frankie Lymon and The Teenagers, The Moonglows, Lavern Baker, Teddy Randazzo, Clyde McPhatter, Book Benton. Many others. Classic 1950s rock and roll.

And I'll throw in some jumpin' 1950's cd's from Sun Records, the birth of Rockabilly!

Hopefully you cats will find this as a cool giveaway, 1950's HepKitty style!!! Get gone kids!

I will draw the name of the lucky winner probably this coming weekend, as I want to allow many to enter if they so choose to.
imageBe Bop A Lula!!
"Senorita HepKitty"
"I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter

Comments

• JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    imageimage <----------------- Me and Lucy imageimage
    -George
    42/92
  • hey Lucy! thanks for the chance!!!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Woo Hoo !!

Please count me in on your generous givaway !
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I image Lucy! Count me in! image
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, thanks for the opportunity.

Tom
    Tom

• MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Whoah daddy-o. Count me in, Miss...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Lucy!

I would have to agree that this "forum" is its own "community."
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Awesome giveaway! I've won too much stuff this year, so if you happen to pick my name, pass it on to a YN!

• This is cool.
    Please count me in.
    Thank you!
  • Seriously cool give-away stuff. The best music(& times) ever were growing up in the 50's-60's. Still hooked on the oldies music and always will be. And obviously a great forum with people you can count on to share their knowledge and make you laugh at times. And can be a bit grumpy at times.
  • PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    Count me in. Thanks!
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fifties were good for me...I was Born
    Count me in
  • wow...how very excellent......I thank you for this generous chance to add these to my Dansco album. You are the bees knees
  • New York Yankees World Series Championships of the 1950s...
    1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1956, 1958

1951 - Joe DiMaggio passes the torch to Micky Mantle.

1956 - Mantle wins AL Triple Crown

1956, 1957 - Mantle wins AL MVP

1951, 1954, 1955 - Yogi Berra wins AL MVP

Yes, the 1950s was one of many Yankees decades. Real cool. Count me in. image

Thanks Lucy!
  • dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Thanks lucy count me in and donate it to a YN if I win. image
  • Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    OMG! Now this is one Heck of a giveaway!

I'm in!

PURPLE!
  • HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    Cool giveaway

Please add Me.

What I love about this place is the feeling I know some of the people, through thread exchanges, pms or even just lurking.

A non-visual "people watching" experience.

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • I'm diggin' it!
  • nalamolly5nalamolly5 Posts: 671 ✭✭
    cool giveaway from the first lady of doo-wop!! count me in and thanks for the chance Lucy.

jose
  • DarkmaneDarkmane Posts: 1,021
    thanks!
  • LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image I'm with you girl! Born in 57image Can you Dig It! I agree this forum has a great cast of characters and I've enjoyed every minute of it! Awesome Give Away and Thanks for the opportunity!

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good deal Lucille! image

You're one of the ones who sees good in all and gives them a chance.

Rock on!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Cool giveaway, Lucy! I really like Franklins; I have a complete raw set in 64 or better (but not all with FBL), and 17 in PCGS slabs. Thanks for the opportunity!

Cartwheel
  • JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    Please count me in, Lucy. I never could resist a Frankie!

John
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    I love collecting coins ( For the solitude I find amidst the chaos in my home; The people here are often imitated but never equalled; A goal of mine is to get to a show and meet some of the people on here, when, who knows.) Cool giveaway, Lucy.image Hope to meet you one of these days.image

Edited to mention: When I first started my Frankie collection, Lucy, outta the kindness of er heart, sent me a 53-S to complete my collection. She's the GINCHIEST.image

Tom
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Hey Lucy,

I love the 53 Washy I won on your Ebay auction last week....great tone. Thanks for a chance at the giveaway.
    Gary
  • Very nice of you, thanks for the chanceimage
    "You don't need no gypsy to tell you why, you can't let one precious day slip by" G. Allman
  • xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    Enter me please Lucy.

If this community were Happy Days, I'd like to consider myself the Fonz (disguised as Richie). image

Who would be Ralph and Potsie? Other characters too?

edit: I mean Richie pretending to be the Fonz. I'm like most nerds who think they are the cool guy.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Fifties were great. My folks got married in 1951, my sister was born in 1954 and I showed up in February, 1956. I remember a few things from 1958 and 1959 (when I was 2 & 3), including:

1. my Joe Palooka Punching bag,

2. a wooden train set,

3. a neighbor (teenage kid) who raced up and down the streets in a black, souped up car from the 50's that had big fins and a loud engine and

4. finding a my first Frankie on the ground in a vacant lot next door to where my family lived.

I have always liked Frankies. They are big, silver, make that distinctive "silver sound" when flipped in the air. They had lots of purchasing power when they were made. They were around in circulation when I was a kid and a teenager and when I see one I take time out from the daily grind and stroll down memory lane.

Though many Frankies are down right ugly, you can always come across one that blows your "bobby socks" off, including Mint Set Toners; well struck, minimally marked, original skinned, blast white specimens; and my favorite................CAMDCAM proofs.

In conclusion, Frankies Rock.
  • I have a righteous pair of sideburns. I swear I'll bring them back.
  • nesvtnesvt Posts: 2,214
    ahh... the days of back seat bingo.

Cool giveaway from a cool lady. Count me in.
  • RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Wow Lucy...you're really cleaning out the cupboard with a nice selection of goodies!!

Drop my name into your fishbowl and tell Dick Clark I said hello.
  • BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    This is one time I'd better not put off until Saturday night!image
  • Cool.....you rock Hepkitty! This forum provided me with a fast education and saved me plenty of headaches as a newbie....there is a ton of knowledge for those who weather the storm and hang around and learn!!
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Enter me please Lucy.

If this community were Happy Days, I'd like to consider myself the Fonz (disguised as Richie). image

Who would be Ralph and Potsie? Other characters too? >>

Heh, Ralph mouth would have to be Russ, and Potsie probably madmarty!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice giveaway, Lucy. Parting with Frankies can't be easy to do. Thanks for being a member here.

American Bandstand went national in 1956 (broadcast from Phila., of course) and was a daily show until 1963. How would you like THAT schedule. Probably the first show devoted solely to music and the people that made it.

First song played was Jerry Lee Lewis' "Whole Lotta Shaking Going On". First guests were Billy Williams and the Chordettes.

I'm vintage 1954; not the greatest for cars, but they made groovy proof sets that year.image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • ecosecos Posts: 391
    Hello PCG Forum!
    I have been reading your posts for a few weeks now and decided I would speak-up on this one. Thanks LucyBop
    Growing up in the 90's was Squaresville compared to what the 50's sounded like!
    Allie Oop!
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    Lucy -

I missed the 50s the first time they came around, but luckily thanks to folks like you, I didn't have to miss them altogether.

You're right, the cars are great. A different model every year, acres of chrome, and of course those fins. The other day I was reading an article in an outdated magazine that talked about how in the last days of WWII, Harley Earl was allowed to take a team of designers out to see a P38 in a hanger, and how their experience with that plane informed the next decade of Cadillacs.

And you can hardly beat the music. I came of age in the 80s - 90s, when everyone was upgrading to CDs and dumping thier old 45s at the Salvation Army. Every weekend I would come home with a fresh stack - I taught myself to play guitar listening to Elvis & Scotty Moore, Bill Haley, Chuck Berry, Rick Nelson, Buddy Holly, Dion, & The Ventures. Great stuff indeed that I still enjoy listening to today.

And of course the appeal of the Frankie is undeniable. I think of it as sort of a cross-over issue, in that stylistically it is most similiar to the designs we have today, yet because they are big and silver and were only made for 15 years in the middle of this century, they will be forever belong to a time which happens to be of optimism and prosperity. The quintessential 50s coin indeed.

Thanks for having this give away - and definately count me in.

- Artists

PS
    My first Frankie was a 53-S. My Dad had saved it since childhood. I still have it. It's nowhere near as nice as the one you are giving away though.

<< <i>Hello PCG Forum!
    I have been reading your posts for a few weeks now and decided I would speak-up on this one. Thanks LucyBop
    Growing up in the 90's was Squaresville compared to what the 50's sounded like!
    Allie Oop! >>

Welcome to our family!!!!!

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • thanks for the giveaway Lucy! Every now and then the forums get hijacked by
    people who should know better, but it is nice to see the good people have
    stuck around to keep things happy.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • VetVet Posts: 1,513
    Very nice Lucybop. Please count me in. I was a kid through the 50s, don't really remember much about it.
    "Freedom of speech is a great thing.Just because you can say anything does not mean you should.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Count me in as a child of a child of the '50s.
  • Very nice, thanks for the opportunity
    count me in .thanks
    littlejohn
  • mtnmanmtnman Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    I'm still lost in the '50's. Super nice giveaway.

Thanks

<< <i> taught myself to play guitar listening to Elvis & Scotty Moore, >>

Scotty is awesome!!!! He changed music forever with his fabulous Rockabilly guitar with Sam Phillips using a slap back echo technique....

Scotty moore click here

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I was a little late for the fifties, but I like the music. I listen to the CD's Lucy gave me a while back and it was goodimage so I kazza'd a mess of 50's stuff and stream it most all the time.
    As for the cars, well, they were great for what they did. Plus if you dropped a wrench while working under the hood, you picked it up off the ground.image Now it seems its gone unless you can turn the car upside down. I miss the big motors and simple tune up. Now its, read the code, change the part, wonder why it cost so much.

Nice contest Lucy image I'll donate if I win also.

xxoo John
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    You know Lucy, this should be in the Giveaway Forum.image

OK, let me slap myself for you. SLAP!!!

Ouch!image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file