Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OK...Let's see if PCGS has tightened up.

homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
Hi Everybody,

Many have said PCGS has tightened its grading standards for 20th century issues. I have not seen any evidence of this. However, I'm willing to give it a closer look on your behalf.

For the next weeks, i.e. until June 1, I'll do a free Presidential Review for up to twenty coins. The coins have to be 1934 to date and they have to be graded between 5-17 and 6-1-05. Just call customer service and refer them to this post. I'll send everyone who does this a brief note on each coin and I'll post facts and figures after June 1. I'll give each coin an honest look.

Thanks,

David Hall

Edited to add:

This is 20 coins per person. You'll need to let me know which coins you disagree with and what you think the grade should be. Just tell customer service your comments on your coins when you make your review request. I'm not sure how this will be handled operationally, and customer service may be slightly perturbed with me on this, so please have some patience...but I will look at your coins.

By the way...this will probably be a lot of work. Some may thinking I'm just going thru the motions, however, I want to know what the real deal is with the grading and this is the way for me to find out.

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    David, what about utilizing some outside/independent help/source(s) to check it out?
  • Options
    solidsolid Posts: 2,975
    David,

You may be a busy guy soon (as if you weren't, already), but you're definately going the extra mile here!

Ken
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Interesting idea and a generous offer. I assume that is up to 20 per person requesting. I have a 12 coin modern invoice that arrived 12 May.... I suspect I will miss the window. (I would want my coins graded when the graders know the boss will be making sure they were not too tight!)
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good show!

But some clarification:

Is that 20 coins TOTAL, or 20 coins per person? (I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but it wasn't clear). image

Do you have a cut off for when they were originally graded?....or is that what the 5-17 to 6-1 dates were supposed to mean? (You don't want to get coins graded 5-10 years ago).

Just clarifying. (I don't have anything to regrade myself).
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Does this mean if they are in final verification (today 5/17), they were actually graded maybe a few days or a week ago it does not count?

Thanks

Brian
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Thanks a lot for the generous offer and willingness to look deeper. I assume you mean any graded between those dates, and since I have a submission which should be done in that time frame, I will be taking advantage of this. This is quite a surprise, and I'm impressed.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ you are up dude!

Tbig
  • Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    Nip it, nip it in the bud.
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

COOLimage

I just wish I had some of that NEW stuff.

Thanks anyway DAVE.

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    DarkmaneDarkmane Posts: 1,021
    too generous! i just dont hope you give in to a bunch of whiners =P
  • Options
    DarkmaneDarkmane Posts: 1,021
    of course im just kidding. i honestly think its a great idea and an accurate grade will be determined/supported
  • Options
    This kind of action is the reason PCGS will remain the number one grading service in the hobby. Kudos.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't take long for this to hit the page over across the street....

sheeesh! Some people need to get a life!

I guess things are so boring over there that some people need to be over here, basically hide, then run over there to post about things.

Ya know...I go there to read the board about 10 times a year (maybe that much) and can basically catch up on everything in that timeframe. I haven't registered over there. I haven't posted. But it is funny to see people that get banned here go over there and just pout and post all the bad things.
    Also interesting to see people who play "Buttkisser" over here, go over there and trash on things here.

Oh well, David, you have once again become the talk of the town.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I've got two modern submissions from 4/13 that should post pretty soon.

I think it would be great to get your input on some coins, but it is always possible my pre-1973 proofs could be embarassing image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    THANK YOU PCGS for addressing this issue raised on the boards! -cm
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    David Hall has been getting better and better in quickly nipping small problems before they become bigger problems in the last five years.

We are all learning. Even David Hall has not stopped learning.

PCGS is stronger for that.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    So, a coin I got back 10 days ago that I really think was a swing and a miss by a solid 2 points on a DCam doesn't qualify?

It has to be regraded within this time frame? Then I also need to be one of the 20 lucky people?

Or is it that if I send it back and call then it will get a personal look? I can't imagine sending a note to each and every person who responds to this offer. This could be a tremendous amount of work.

Should I also send it back in the slab or crack it out?? Should I assume I will also be paying the fees again? Does it need to be sent at a certain level, say, economy or whatever? Will economy get to the grading room in time?

If somebody is clearer on the exact qualifications could you please clear this up for me?

TIA
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    Coinhusker1Coinhusker1 Posts: 3,560
    For this to be effective, I think a number of coins recently graded should be sent in with a number of coins graded, say 12-18 months ago to get a meaningful sample.

For example, if Russ sent in 8-10 of his recent "no-CAM" SMS coins and 8-10 CAM SMS coins graded a year or so ago, that would be a meaningful evaluation. (I use Russ as an example, because he is one of the few who could probably produce such a sample).

I am skeptical that a random sample of 20 coins going to Presidential review will prove much, as there will be no point of reference coins, and the grading skills of those who send them in may be all over the lot.

• Options
    AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 573
    WOW,, What a great idea,, Talk about stepping up to the plate,, image
    Collector Of Indian Cents!
    Fly-In Club
    My PCGS Registry Sets
  • Options
    Now, does anyone question the effect of this forum on the coin industry?

Kudos to David Hall for addressing this "head on".

AlaBill
    ...AlaBill
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Good start, but 5/17-6/1 doesn't cover most of the people who have complained. I would like to see any coin, with the newer type of reverse slab (shown on the bottom in the attachment), be available for review (just limit the number to 1 or 2 per person).

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    KurtHornKurtHorn Posts: 1,382
    This place is amazing. The guy makes an honest effort to address our concerns. Is going to double check within a specified time frame and everyone that responds wants to make their own rules. Take it for what it is. Thanks David!
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    Sounds like a first come first serve deal here.

"Up to 20 coins"

Thats one hell of a gesture.

I have never heard "A Big Cheese" ever doing anything like this. It's mostly the crack of a whip.

PURPLE!
  • Options
    Does anybody think he is going to say they have tightened up? If he says yes and wants them to loosen the standards, won't you just submit more now so you can get them into higher grade holders? If he says they haven't,won't you cut submissions until they loosen up again? If he changes some grades, how many of you will resubmit under the presidential review submission? Looks like a ploy to get more money out of the collectors to me.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    This is what I've been waiting for, not that I have any coins to review. PCGS should be an independent TPG service with no vested intersest in the price of a coin rather the market is hot or soft or protecting the POP #'s. David could have ban people and deleted posts on the board as they came in but he didn't and he's now ready to look and address this issue, good job.image
  • Options

<< <i>This place is amazing. The guy makes an honest effort to address our concerns. Is going to double check within a specified time frame and everyone that responds wants to make their own rules. Take it for what it is. Thanks David! >>

No, the point Steve27 and I are trying to make is that without a point of reference, the free Presidential review offer will not directly address the concern over inconsistent grading.

I credit HRH with stepping up to address the issue. However, the result of the free review likely will be that 20 collectors with varying grading skills will submit 20 different date/series coins suggesting they are undergraded, and zero or one of the coins will change grade as a result, consistent with overall Presidential review results.

With "point of reference" coins, you should get one of two answers --- the coins graded a year or so ago were overgraded, or the recently graded coins were undergraded.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I'm impressed with the activism of PCGS's leader. Good job.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coinguy:

You looking for employment?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    TheRockTheRock Posts: 766 ✭✭
    Great Job, DH. Nice to see that you are looking into the issue and trying to resolve it if there is a problem.

"GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    The Rocks Collectables, LLC
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

• Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    Add me to the list of those impressed with this kind of action coming from the top gun. Too many times in business there's a very distant relationship between upper management and end customer. Nice!
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great.

I almost hope HomerunHall does find there was a problem, but in any case it will great to have an answer.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Obviously, it's 20 coins per person. Not 20 coins period, on a first come basis. If it was the latter , the sampling would not be large enuff to have any statistical relevance.

"Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Mr. Hall,
    I am impressed with your actions as the president to take time to interact and assist the end user. Very commendable and a very wise business decision.

Just my two cents,
    Ray
  • Options
    Well, I've got eleven Walkers in under Economy service right now; I'm expecting all 64's and 65's. They should be done before the end of the month. If there are any surprises, I may just take him up on his offer.

Cartwheel

P.S. And thank you, HRH, for your generous offer!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coinguy:

You looking for employment?? image >>

No. Just higher grades on his next submission!image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, for one, think David Hall is stepping up to the plate and doing the right thing.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    While I am in agreement with the kudos and think it's both a magnanimous and wise business gesture that gives me a little better feeling about PCGS, I still don't know where the one killer that I got back 10 days ago fits in.

Am I just stuck with it? I've only disagreed twice, by disagree I mean just flabbergasted by a grade. Sure, I've had a difference or two with close calls, that stuff happens. I'm talking about 2-3 points on the high end and I've been damaged financially on both of these. I am not going by just my grading skills either, but with a concensus of several people with hundreds of years combined in this hobby/business. Not to mention, I can lay the same coin down next to mine, PCGS slab from a couple of years ago and my recent low grade coin just blows away the other that is 2 or 3 grades higher, depending on which of the two coins I really feel were wrongly graded.

So, I still don't understand the details of this generous offer and no one yet has explained them in a manner which I can understand. I stated such above and no one has yet been able to answer my questions. Is it only the first 20 people who call? If so, I imagine I am already out of the running. Again, how does this affect a coin that came out of the grading room 2 weeks ago? For that matter, one that came back a few months ago just as people were beginning to talk about tighter standards.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options

<< <i>Didn't take long for this to hit the page over across the street....

sheeesh! Some people need to get a life!
    >>

PCGS vs. NGC

This is the numismatic version of the Yankees vs. Red Sox complete with rival fans on both sides!

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice gestureimage but we are talking about reviewing coins that have yet to be graded. Just to play devils advocate lets say the graders get a little loose for the next two weeks.

I sent a coin in for designation review downgrade 2 months ago. It came back with the same grade. The coin would never cross at NGC as it is bent. Can I send this in for review?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image Thanks Mr. Hall for taking some action to address the concerns of many here! I don't submit much but just love the knowledge and sharing of information about all that's coin related shown here. Actions such as these are why PCGS stays on "The Cutting Edge"! I'm sure you'll answer the follow up questions posted here. I'll be interested in the results. Thanks Again
  • Options
    David, what about utilizing some outside/independent help/source(s) to check it out?

This is the ONLY way to truly determine whether PCGS has "tightened up" or not. Independence is very important in matters such as this!
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I could see PCGS asking some of the more advanced dealers/collectors on this board to send in their coins for review. But if they open up checking all the coins graded in the last year everyone will send theirs back just to see if they get an upgrade and that's not too realistic IMO. image
  • Options
    My thoughts exactly!
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    The problem goes BACK and is not about coins that are in a given, present window of two weeks. I, for example, had 3 seperate submissions that all left here Mid-March and were back here Mid-April. One was a crossover, no problems there, but the other two sumissions were.

Those grades, I would sure appreciate Mr. Hall looking into. The coins were all sent in raw (cracked out 66s) . The troubling part is the grades came back 62, 65, 64 ,65, BB'd, 65, 66, 66. These were some of my best 66s, "shot 67s". The results speak for themselves.

I can do nothing with these and would very much appreciate being included in this Presidential Review. I had no idea that everyone else was experiencing similar problems. Something definitely is amiss somewhere with results such as this. I am wondering if perhaps the way I filled in the forms may have had something to do with the results.

Thank you. I applaud you for even thinking about taking on such a monumental task. We're talking about a LOT of submissions, Mr. Hall. image
  • Options
    Thank you David! image
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice offer. Thanks for answering the concerns.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    This offer from David pretty much confirms my suspicions that most of the complaints lately have been with modern (later 20th century) coins. I really haven't seen much difference in the way they grade 19th and early 20th century coins.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Very impressive offer HRH. I don't have any problems at the moment, but have been concerned with what others are saying. Thanks for stepping up to the plate.
  • Options

<< <i>Does anybody think he is going to say they have tightened up? If he says yes and wants them to loosen the standards, won't you just submit more now so you can get them into higher grade holders? If he says they haven't,won't you cut submissions until they loosen up again? If he changes some grades, how many of you will resubmit under the presidential review submission? Looks like a ploy to get more money out of the collectors to me. >>

This is the guy that started the thread across the street, right?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file