Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the coolest COIN RELATED item you own?

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy, where did you get the receipt..??

William Woodin was my great grandfather.

OK, I lied. I got if from the Ford Library auction. image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    < 4 of the first 5 trade dollars minted, with a letter from the director of the mint presenting them to a friend. Each has a numeral [2-5] hand scratched above the eagle's head on the reverse. >>

WOW imageimageimageimageimage

this however does'nt suprise me, im sure you could name a few more...

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    4 of the first 5 trade dollars minted, with a letter from the director of the mint presenting them to a friend. Each has a numeral [2-5] hand scratched above the eagle's head on the reverse.

TDN - Any interest in buying the number 6 coin? I'm sure I can arrange for it...

Andy Lustig

• Options
    A seated quarter obvese die for the 1878-CC quarter!
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Crito's icon quarter.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a few odds and ends that are coin related, but, the oddest thing is a 6" Lucite cube with a roll of 1969 Lincoln cents imbedded, which I received as a Christmas present from my parents back in 1969. I use it as a bookend now. ( I looked at each coin at different angles searching for the "famous '69 Double Die") . ( None were to be found image )
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shamika:

It's 1859 on the IHC. Here's another, this one a patriotic over a 1863 IHC. I'm trying to put together a date run - if you know of where I can get them, let me know!imageimage

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Does a 1964 redbook count?
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    The original prototype George Foreman Master Slab Cracker. The waste falls neatly into a built-in tray. No muss, no fuss.
    "Its a knock-out". image
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    A 4 x 4 inch b & w photo of a 1913 Liberty Nickel, the one owned by McDermott of Omaha sent to my maternal granmother, the individual who got me interested in collecting coins. On the back of the photo is written in blue ink (probably a fountain pen) a short note that now my grandmother has her own 1913 nickel. What a neat man McDermott must have been to do this.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    found this on a beach, its silver but they polished the back so you cant read anything....

I'd rather be driving a titleist

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a coin board produced by J.K. Post (sorry the image is cut off). This board and two others that I own were manufactured in 1935 and all are as crisp and clean as the day they were produced.

Post later sold the rights to manufacture these boards to Whitman which all of you know so well today.

I've only seen one other board from Post and it was in terrible shape. To own three in perfect condition is like a dream for me.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few other neat things:

A little oblong silver ingot by World Wide Coin Investments commemorating the Olsen [later Hawaii 5-O] 1913 Liberty Head nickel being the first coin to sell for more than $100,000 on Oct 2, 1972

An 1847 Seated Dollar planed and ornately engraved on the reverse "James P. Dubois Born Sept. 25th 1847 AT PHILA." He was the son of William E Dubois - Chief Coiner and Assayer of the US Mint from 1833-1878.

An uncirculated 1860 dollar engraved 'Emma W. Moses' above the eagle's head.

I used to have a white metal splasher of the Gobrecht dollar obverse and a copper splasher of the Gobrecht dollar reverse, but someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
  • Options

<< <i>I used to have a white metal splasher of the Gobrecht dollar obverse and a copper splasher of the Gobrecht dollar reverse, but someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. >>

Did the offer involve the barrel of a gun? I can't imagine parting with such an item.

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    imageI think I still have an old 1928 Coin Valuation Guide Book that was my grandfathers.
    Eddie
  • Options
    eddieal,

Welcome to the Forum and don't be such a lurker!

• Options
    imageThanks Shamika.
    Eddie
  • Options
    An 1847 Seated Dollar planed and ornately engraved on the reverse "James P. Dubois Born Sept. 25th 1847 AT PHILA." He was the son of William E Dubois - Chief Coiner and Assayer of the US Mint from 1833-1878.

TDN - THAT is WAY cool!!!
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    sammydabullsammydabull Posts: 380 ✭✭

<< <i>image >>

I Really like this, thats similar to the quarter i posted, never really thought i would see another like it....nice coin!
    I'd rather be driving a titleist

• Options
    the gobrecht-rittenhouse medal pictured in my avatar and sig image
    anita...ana #r-217183...coin collecting noob
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    A Morgan Dollar made with one side spring loaded, to open it. Inside of the coin machined to hold a picture.
    It's an antique.
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>envelopes William Sheldon used to store his coins (with notations) >>

Pistareen, that's really neat.

BillJones, I think I've seen that plaque in a book somewhere. What a prize! >>

Thanks, Shamika. I have really enjoyed that plaque too, but you have to be careful. Copies were made some years ago, and that was a totally unethical exonumisist dealer who was selling them for the real thing. I go caught in that scam, but only lost of few dollars after I had some less that pleasant exchanges with him. Still I'm sure that there are a lot of collectors who did get taken by this seller.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Not really worth a lot, but kind of neat.

Does anyone collect bank bags?

The Wegner ARRC Bingle Set

Looking for 1967 PCGS/NGC slabbed coins.
  • Options
    <<Does anyone collect bank bags? >>

GSAGuy collects Carson City Mint bags.

• Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>TDN, that's AWSOME! I recall something about the first 100 Morgan dollars ever minted being engraved as such (or something like that). Do you know the story? >>

It wasn't the first 100 ever minted, it was the first 100 minted in Denver in 1921. The engraving was done using a machine letterng template and it appears in the field area in front of Liberty's face in two lines that follow the curve of the rim. The inscription is "No X of the first 100 silver dollars coined at the US Mint in Denver." I first learned of these back in 1980 when #15 turned up in a batch of junk silver being scrapped and it was recovered and used for a story in Coin World. Only a few of these 100 pieces are known to exist today.
  • Options
    TopdollarpaidTopdollarpaid Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    Sweetheart Braclett

Randy Conway

Www.killermarbles.com

Www.suncitycoin.com
  • Options
    caitlincaitlin Posts: 858 ✭✭✭
    The only thing I have is an 8x12 picture of my pop1 beautifully toned 1916 ms68 buff I received from RCNH a couple yrs ago. I Had it framed and it nows hangs on the wall and of coarse my kids think I'm crazy.image
    A collector of high grade TONED BUFFALO NICKELS ,working on a PCGS REGISTRY SET.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The safe my great grandfather kept his coin collection in. A few of the coins... I used to have his 1954 Yeoman book too, but I don't know where that went. I've got the dollar bill that all my granddad's shipmates signed when he crossed the equator on the way to fight the Japanese, too.
    mirabela
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread and a lot of really cool items.image

I've got a 1982 bag for philly mint quarters in pristine condition and a collection of coins depicted on tokens and medals.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    The only thing I have is a leather bag/pouch that I was given with some coins that were my great grandfather's. It looks really old and says " compliments of Southwest Boulevard State Bank, 19th and Main Sts." I googled for the bank and did not find any information.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    NewmismatistNewmismatist Posts: 1,802 ✭✭
    (This post is from Rick Snow (EagleEye) Posting from a friends beach house)

I own the original wax models for the $3 Gold Piece. It's neat because it's an original work of art by Longacre. The reverse is similar to the wreath used on the Flying Eagle Cent and the obverse is similar the the Indian Cent, except for the different style headdress. It was sold in the Longacre sale 1870, of which I also own the bid book for this auction.

Rick Snow
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options

<< <i><< TDN, that's AWSOME! I recall something about the first 100 Morgan dollars ever minted being engraved as such (or something like that). Do you know the story? >>

It wasn't the first 100 ever minted, it was the first 100 minted in Denver in 1921. The engraving was done using a machine letterng template and it appears in the field area in front of Liberty's face in two lines that follow the curve of the rim. The inscription is "No X of the first 100 silver dollars coined at the US Mint in Denver." I first learned of these back in 1980 when #15 turned up in a batch of junk silver being scrapped and it was recovered and used for a story in Coin World. Only a few of these 100 pieces are known to exist today. >>

Thanks Conder101 for the followup.

• Options

<< <i> The only thing I have is an 8x12 picture of my pop1 beautifully toned 1916 ms68 buff I received from RCNH a couple yrs ago. I Had it framed and it nows hangs on the wall and of coarse my kids think I'm crazy >>

Of coarse they do and of coarse you are. image

• Options

<< <i>I've got the dollar bill that all my granddad's shipmates signed when he crossed the equator on the way to fight the Japanese >>

<< <i> The only thing I have is a leather bag/pouch that I was given with some coins that were my great grandfather's. >>

I love sentimental items. My son has the hand-made wallet that my great grandfather carried with him before he died in 1920.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Not nearly as cool as the others, but still a nice catch : $17.05 (ebay)

The oval black metal bank has a plaque in front , a coin slot on the side and a metal top carry handle. There is a keyhole in the base, alas no key. 3" high x 3.5" across, good condition, some flaking of the black enamel here and there.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Any new items to add?
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some years back I picked up a mold that was used in Colorado territorial days to make gold ingots. It was represented as having flakes of gold still imbedded in its surface.
  • Options
    btmoore9btmoore9 Posts: 352
    The only thing I have is my dads old coin collecting set from the early 50's. image. It's pretty cool but he just has pennies in it.
    Live like you were dying.
    -------------------------------
    Bridget
    ----------
    (My beautiful children!!)
  • Options

And I have a bunch of Max Mehl Rare Coin Encyclopedias 1930, 1932, 1934,

A Max Mehl price list #57

A Mex Mehl publication -- The Commemorative Coins of the United States 1937

A Wayte Raymond Price List 1939

The Standard Catalogue of United States Coins -- 1951

Max Mehl Auction Catalogue June 23, 1936 -- The Morse, Faelten and Todd Collections

Max Mehl Auction Catalogue November 7, 1944 -- Fred Olsen Collection and the auction of the 1913 Nickel

Watye Raymond -- The Silver Dollars of North & South America.

TPN
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is one for the Kennedy guys.
    imageimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a check signed by ANA founder George Heath and a fairly rare book from the 1890,s on 1794 cents.

Tbig image
  • Options
    I have a little bag of silver dust from the federal reserve, probably dated to when they traded the dollars for silver.
    There is nothing more powerful than the power of goodbye
  • Options
    I have Bing Crosbys 1974 drivers license.
    Removed from his waste basket by my mother in law.
  • Options

<< <i>I have Bing Crosbys 1974 drivers license. >>

I don't know how that is "coin related", but it is pretty cool. image

• Options

<< <i>I have a little bag of silver dust from the federal reserve, probably dated to when they traded the dollars for silver. >>

I remember you (or maybe it was somebody else) showing us this. One of the coolest things I've heard of in my opinion.
  • Options

<< <i> Some years back I picked up a mold that was used in Colorado territorial days to make gold ingots. It was represented as having flakes of gold still imbedded in its surface. >>

Any images to share? As an engineer with a metallurgy background, I'd love to see it.

• Options

<< <i> The only thing I have is my dads old coin collecting set from the early 50's. . It's pretty cool but he just has pennies in it. >>

It's funny... We all dream of a relative leaving us a collection of rare gold pieces or other super valuable coins, and yet it's really better when the items are of little monetary value such as the pennies you mention.

You don't ever want to be put in a position of being torn between keeping an item with sentimental value or selling it (i.e. your great grandmothers 10 carat diamond engagement ring). With the penny collection, you'll never feel any guilt in never cashing it in.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file