Home U.S. Coin Forum

What's the coolest COIN RELATED item you own?

ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
Anything goes!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Comments

• XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Are coins considered coin-related?

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 of the first 5 trade dollars minted, with a letter from the director of the mint presenting them to a friend. Each has a numeral [2-5] hand scratched above the eagle's head on the reverse.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I don't have anything really interesting. The card that came with my toned GSA is kinda humorous. It says that this coin was culled from the uncirculated category because of "excessive bag marks or tarnish".
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • 4 of the first 5 trade dollars minted, with a letter from the director of the mint presenting them to a friend. Each has a numeral [2-5] hand scratched above the eagle's head on the reverse.

That's pretty interesting. Any word on where the first coin went?
  • THIS IS NOT A SALES PITCH !

Link O Rama

it is kinda cool,just the history alone took a little research.
  • I have an ANA coffee cup.
  • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I have this... uhh.... V.D.B.

David
  • Oh, yeah, I have a very old circa 1847(not sure about the date at the moment) or so, "coin silver" pocket-watch presented to someone who retired or quit the railroad.
    I'll have to go look for it and take some photos.
    I had it repaired many years ago, so it actually works too.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    The original order form for my GSA CC Morgans:

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Original 1813 report from the director of the mint to the treasurer, listing the quantities of coins produced in 1812 (only 3 denominations that year: Cents, Half Dollars, Half Eagles) with balances remaining of gold, silver, and copper in inventory.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• was the GSA thing a sealed bid or lottery type thing ?

got some cool items here !
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    was this:

but now its in a better placeimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a quarter with a hole in it that I shot with my rifle.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• 1957joe1957joe Posts: 608 ✭✭
    I have a 1964 proof set made into a paper weight that was my grandfather's. It is really kind of cool!
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The slab is wrong. Know why?
    Larry

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A wooden box from the Denver Mint circa 1913 with obverse and reverse of a Buffalo nickel on each side. Used to ship coins?
  • wrong planchet ?
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Uhm... let's see here... diddilly... image
    -George
    42/92
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    koynekwest,

I'd like to see an image of that box.

<< <i> 4 of the first 5 trade dollars minted, with a letter from the director of the mint presenting them to a friend. Each has a numeral [2-5] hand scratched above the eagle's head on the reverse. >>

TDN, that's AWSOME! I recall something about the first 100 Morgan dollars ever minted being engraved as such (or something like that). Do you know the story?

LincolnCentMan,

Wasn't your item up for auction withing the last two years? I recall seeing that somewhere. Wish I owned it.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First place -

A Lincoln plaque by Victor D. Brenner that he did in 1907. Brenner showed Teddy Roosevelt a plaque like this when Teddy was posing for a medal and the Lincoln cent was born. Here's the plaque and Brenner's signature that is on it.

imageimage

Second Place

Obverse and reverse 1968-S Proof nickel coin dies with the collar and the date and mint mark still visible.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • GOLDSAINTGOLDSAINT Posts: 2,148
    Before the Spanish conquered, what is now Mexico, Aztec rulers and noblemen used nose plugs, ear plugs, and lip plugs for their coins. I have added this piece to my, Type Set of The Americas.

• PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I own the only Adam Eckfeldt autograph that I have ever heard of outside of an institutional repository. He endorsed the back of a check made out to him in 1841, three years after he founded the Mint Cabinet. I value it highly image

I collect more coin related things than coins though -- the boxes for high grade large cents that appeared on the cover of the 1985 Wyatt catalogue, envelopes William Sheldon used to store his coins (with notations), letters Breen wrote from a VA hospital in 1949, mockups for New Netherlands catalogues, that sort of stuff.

<< <i>envelopes William Sheldon used to store his coins (with notations) >>

Pistareen, that's really neat.

BillJones, I think I've seen that plaque in a book somewhere. What a prize!

• GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    who has the toilet seat of coins?

we need a pic of that here.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    " was the GSA thing a sealed bid or lottery type thing ?"

Sealed bid, you can see the amount of the overbid in the right-most column.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
    I knew that damn toilet seat was gonna show up sooner or later.

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a 1967 Redbook that I like to peruse from time to time when I am in one of those "I wish I had of" moods!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The original 1909 invoice/contract (from Capt. Haseltine to William Woodin, witnessed by Edgar Adams) for the two unique gold half union patterns.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

• << <i>I have this... uhh.... V.D.B.

David >>

GOD I wish I had that.... Interested in selling?

Thanks,

-Greg U
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!

E-mail GRU Coins

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a totally original 1938-1961 BU set of nickels in a Mehrig album... I think it's cool because every coin is toned (all very alike), and the fact that the coins have been together for so long...

Here's the best color in the set (albeit the worst strike--irony happens :funnyimage:

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    I have an old paper bag with U.S. Mint printed on it. From 1979 when I took a tour of the Philadelphia Mint. image
    Wayne
    airplanenut,

About 25 years ago I found a blazing mint state 1954-S Jefferson in one of the bank rolls my Dad use to bring me once per week.

It also had the same lousy reverse strike (0 steps). Thank goodness I kept it (still have it) even though I thought at the time the coin must be circulated.

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew that damn toilet seat was gonna show up sooner or later.

I could not resist--someone requested it. image
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    That 54-S Jeff is not only a "no steps", it's a "no porch"! image

Pistareen's, MrEureka's and many of the other contributions were very impressive, but we have yet to hear from njcoincrank.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

kranky,

What is it you know that we don't?

• image my digital camera I cant take good coin pix with?
    image my magnifying lens?
    image my safe?

Guess nothing. image

<< <i> That 54-S Jeff is not only a "no steps", it's a "no porch"! >>

It's wheel-chair accessible.

Wasn't your item up for auction withing the last two years? I recall seeing that somewhere. Wish I owned it.

No, definatly not in the last two years. I won it off of ebay a good while back, probably four or five years ago. I have posted a pic of it here a couple of times.

GOD I wish I had that.... Interested in selling?

Gregg,

Sorry man. It's tied up in "strong hands" for now. I dont know if it's replaceable. I'm sure it's not unique, but how many signatures could have survived? I think the dude died back in 1924. I wouldnt think that he was famous enough for many of his letters (probably what this came from... just guessing) to have been saved.

Right now, I have it in a dollar sleave... taped into the back of the dansco I use for one of my raw sets.

David
    LincolnCentMan,

What did you pay for it? I'm afraid to ask.

• There's some really cool stuff here!

I have these:

Original New York P & D rolls signed by board member and designer of the
    NY quarter, dcarr! He ran an auction when these came out stating that
    he would sign just ten sets.

And this:

3,750 plastic shell halves for our showcases (PCGS, NGC, Blank). Definately not
    in the same league as the other stuff shown here, but I think they are pretty cool.

The complexity of the injection mold that makes these is pretty amazing (with a
    pretty amazing price tag). image

Ken
    What did you pay for it? I'm afraid to ask.

About $280. I sent a PM to avoid posting what I paid here. I usualy dont like disclosing such in an open forum b/c people sometimes have issues with markups. Then I figured... heck, it isnt going anywhere... so what does it matter what I paid....

David
  • The signed NY quarter rolls kick ass!
  • Mossberg 12ga. shotgun, used for coin defense.
    $280 is nothing!

Great score!
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool stuff. Like the items posted so far. Andy, where did you get the receipt..?? WOWimageimage

I like CWT's struck over IHC's - here's one. It's coin related.....

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
    Lakesammman, can you make out the date?

I love CWT's.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file