Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where did you go to College and did you collect then?

I really enjoyed occupation thread so I had to start this one. Where did you go to college/school and were you collecting then??

Me: B.S./B.A.: Heidelberg '89
M.S. :University of Rhode Island '91

I collected cards back then.....what a waste of $$$

M.image

Comments

• Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    B.S Bus.Admin. Nebraska Weslyean Univeristy '80

M.Div. Oral Roberts University '84

I collected antique bottles. I still have them stored in boxes somewhere.
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    1957joe1957joe Posts: 608 ✭✭
    Cincinnati Technical College NOW Cincinnati State and I have been collecting since the age of 10 so YES!
  • Options
    B.S. University of Virginia '02

A.M. Harvard University '04

Been collecting since I was 7!!
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    University of Virginia '99

I catalogued auctions free-lance from a dorm room and wrote my major thesis (History and Religious Studies) on the development of In God We Trust on coins and currency -- does that count?? image

Nice to see another Cavalier here!
  • Options
    OneyOney Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭
    BA Harvard 87

I have been a collector since I was 12.
    Brian
  • Options

I completed my undergraduate work at Syracuse University. I then went to Medical School in Buffalo, NY, and that is when I started collecting high grade Lincolns. Back then (1980's), it was possible to chase these coins as many could be had for a few hundred bucks. I'm pretty sure I have told this story before on the boards, but I can remember bidding against Stewart for a 1913-P in 67RD(which was a pop 1 or 2 at the time). As we approached the $1000 I can remember thinking "this is crazy". Of course Stewart won the lot at, I think, $1100. You'd be lucky to buy that coin today at ten times that amount. It would be very difficult for a college student today to try to put together a Lincoln cent set in 65RD or better.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    B.S.C.S, Old Dominion Univeristy 1985. I wasn't collecting back then. I was too busy trying to avoid double secret probation.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    TayTayTayTay Posts: 465 ✭✭
    BBA University of Memphis '91

Been collecting since age 12, but not seriously until the last year or so, so I may have bought a few coins while in college, but I doubt it since most of the time I could only afford to have crackers and water for dinner image
    "What are you putting that tape on your nose for?"
    "Exactly."

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B.S. University of Delaware - 1971 - I thought that Indian cents and gold type coins were the greatest!

MBA Rutgers University – 1979 – Took 24 a credits a semester to graduate as quickly as possible and was so strapped for cash that I let my subscription run out on the Coin Dealer Newsletter. I never sold a coin to finiance my education or anything else, however. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    UC Berkeley - BS, MS, PhD - late 60's early 70's - interesting times. Didn't collect coins until early 90's.
  • Options
    B.S. Alfred University '98
    M.S. Alfred University '99
    Ph.D. Alfred University '02

I began collecting after the state quarters came out in 1999, so it was during my masters studies.
  • Options
    B.A. - University of New York at Albany - '02
    MBA - Central CT State University - Expected graduation next month!!

Started seriously collecting as a Freshman at Albany (I discovered Ebay), and now I'm in it way too deep to stop!
    Tim
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    BA Northwestern

MBA University of Chicago

I collected as a kid and picked it up again 5 years ago. Not in college. Who had the money then?

Greg
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BS - Oregon State Univ.
    MD - Univ. of Washington
    First year Univ. Alaska, Fairbanks
    Residency - University of Minnesota

Have been collecting since a kid but didn't have the money during the above 13 years to collect. I collect now!imageimage
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    University of Colorado

Coin collecting had to take a back seat to tuition.
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    clemson university .... we collected beer cans and window fans
    Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    RBB617RBB617 Posts: 497 ✭✭
    BA Purdue University '91
    MBA Northeastern University '96

I've collected since I was a kid, but from undergrad through the 2002 I only "collected" interesting coins from pocket change.
    Brian
  • Options
    B.A.- Wagner College
    M.S.- New York University
    J.D.- Brooklyn Law School

Edited to add- been collecting coins since '02. Collected other things before that...
    Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    B.S. Mechanical Engineering, 1988
    California State University, Long Beach.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Kentucky College of Technology
    University of Kentucky
    University of Louisville

Collected the entire time.
  • Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arizona State University - I still have over 1,000 beer cans I collected from back then. Coin collecting started just a couple years back.
  • Options
    gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    B.S. (Accounting) Queens College (NY)

Ph.D. (Economics) Tulane University

I started collecting when I was about 12. I still remember the thrill of occasionally finding an Indian head cent in circulation. My biggest delight was receiving a 1910-s Lincoln cent in change. In college and graduate school I was far too poor to collect anything but homework assignments. I began collecting again in the 1970's when I worked for Xerox in Rochester. The first auctions I participated in were the Gilhousen and Ruby sales conducted by Superior around 1973. I recall buying several pattern pieces for around $250 each. I later sold them for 10 times that amount in the 1995 ANA auction sale, when I disposed of half of my pattern collection. I still own the other half, consisting of half dollars and dollars dating from the early 1870's, which I acquired between 1974 and 1979.
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    BS - UCLA '89
    JD - USC '92 (The real BS)

Collected since I was about 7, with a hiatus for much of the '90s
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    BA-- UCLA Theater Arts

I didn't collect from about 15 to 28. I was busy rocking the free world.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BS, UCLA '90!

three bruins in a row!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    Louisiana State University (LSU) - AS in Computer Information Technology
    McNeese State University (MSU) - BS in Computer Science

I started collecting at the age of 12 when my Grandfater gave me a silver dollar for mowing their lawn. I've been hooked ever since.

I think I am addicted. I used by Tax return to buy 5 double eagles. ha ha.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    BS-Troy State University
    Computer Science
    J'har
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BS, Computer Science '79
    Western Washington University

Collected Indians back then, before I saw the light...

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Associates in Fine Arts with a Concentration in Multi-Media: Nauagatuck Valley Community College in Waterbury, CT
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Scarily similar to LakeSammman.

BS - Oregon State University
    MD - Oregon Health Sciences University
    Residency - University of Minnesota

Started collecting at about 9. Had a hiatus from about 12 to 32. Been going for a few years again.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    B.S. University of Michigan 1965 Math
    University of Michigan graduate school and teaching fellow.
    Didn't start collecting until 1973 when I met a numismatist at a bridge game.
    We've got a well educated group here.
    I'd rather be lucky than good.
  • Options
    BS, Mathematics, U.S. Naval Academy 1981 (Beat Army)

School of Hard Knocks 1981-present

Didn't collect in college...what money I had went to drinking beer and chasing babes on weekends when they let us out of the monastery...
  • Options
    Rutgers '82 B.S.C.S.

Like BillJones I went to Rutgers, unlike Bill I did sell all my coins image
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    UCSD started at age 10.
    Look like we got a lot of B.S. here.image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another Orangeman here. Syracuse University. Finance and Economics. I also collected beer cans. Literally. I would turn them in for the 5c deposit. Made $50 a week. Bought more beer. UMMMM Beer
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B.S. SUNY Stonybrook 2003
    Collected throughout undergraduate.

Currently in grad school out of the country, coin collecting on hold.
  • Options
    Cool Thread!

I saw you UC Bruin guys!

Isn't there anyone here from USC?image

BA - 1983 - University of Redlands (Go Bulldogs)
    AA - 1979 - Columbia Community College (Go Claim Jumpers)!
    High School - 1977 - South Pasadena High School (Drop out)image

Spent a lot time at Harvey Mudd, Cal Tech and at Pasadena City college while I worked for Vivitar Cameras out near Pico and Supulveda Blvd.

I have had little collections since I was a kid but only really got into the coins after college. Nothing like am involved with now though. While going to school in the middle of the California "Mother Load" county, I caught the gold bug real bad! I still have a placer claim up in the Sierras. I never went anywhere with out my pan!!!

Larry
    Dabigkahuna
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Univ. of Connecticut in '93.

I collected all throughout college. I used to go to shows, flea markets, and estate sales to cherrypick, then I'd sell my finds to buy Ramen. Just before I graduted I sold a cherried 1922 Plain to buy an interview suit.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    St. Thomas Aquinas Due to graduate spring of 2006 Social Science Major.

Coin collecting since ageof 6. been doing my best collecting work during my college life
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    barely made it out of High School and dropped out of college after 3 years studying Robotics.

I started collecting at about 13 years old with lincoln cents (1975) and there were LOTS of them still in circulation around here.

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    UCSD (Muir college)- B.S. Biochemistry/Chemistry 1997

Re-discovered coin collecting in 1998
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    UC Santa Cruz, 1986. While away at college my druggie brother stole my coin collection and sold it for drugs. I was out of the hobby for nearly twenty years....

...but I'm back, with a vengeance!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Korean Language training at the Defense Language Institute in Pres. of Monterrey and Pres. of San Fran. '86-'87)
    BA (Business) Univ of Washington '94

Nope...stopped collecting around 12 years old as I got rooked on things from Ron's Coin and Books in Yakima, Wa. Just started up again last year when my son turned 1 year old so that I could give him a "legacy" and have something to spend time with him on as my health (back mainly) is failing in some areas and I probably won't be able to be as "fun" for him to play with as he gets older image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    College & Medical School: Six-year BA/MD program at Univ. of MO-Kansas City. BA's in Chemistry and Biology.

Residency in Pathology: University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.

Began collecting around age 10 and had hiatus during college and residency. Didn't sell anything, but didn't have much besides a few proof sets and BU rolls Lincoln memorials and a few other odds and ends. Picked up more serious and expensive collecting in about 1989.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭
    BA International Affairs from (see icon)
    MA International Studies from University of Wyoming

Got into the business about 8 years ago...

chris
  • Options
    FragmentumFragmentum Posts: 174 ✭✭
    A&P, Helena Vo-Tech 1970, then avoided getting drafted by signing up.
    Collecting since early '80's.
    Collecting ASE's, Disney Dollars, high end for type set and other shiny objects with crayola colors...
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BBA, Cleveland State University, 1972

I started collecting at age 6 in 1955; haven't stopped since. While in college, I thought I might be spending too much on coins, but they sure helped when buying a house, but I kept and still have the best ones.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still in high school image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BS Central Washington University
    MBA Seattle University

Did not collect during Central years. My employer paid for my MBA, I collected extensively during this time. Coin collecting was a great stress reliever back then!
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Tom (MrDQ),

It is 2004 and there are still al lot of lincoln cents in circulation where I am....if you want some, just stop on over image

"....I started collecting at about 13 years old with lincoln cents (1975) and there were LOTS of them still in circulation around here.

------------------------

--------T O M---------"

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file