Home U.S. Coin Forum

Where did you go to College and did you collect then?

Comments

• ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan.

Didn't collect anything during that period - spent free time drinking in Susukino with young co-eds named Yuki and Noriko.

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who the heck revived this thread? But even with my MS from URI I am considering returning to the Michigan Institute of Aeronatics this summer for something new to study. TTT
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Associates Degree in Forestry from Wayne Community College in Goldsboro, NC. I started collecting when I was 15. No way could I afford to collect while going to college as I was taking every handout I could get.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CSUF BA- History and Political Science and a Secondary Education Credential that I never used... Started my Masters and quit to become a working class dog and I have never looked back. I collected coins among others interests

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• University of Houston - Civil Engineering, minor in math.

Collected since I was 11 and haven't stopped.image

<< <i>spent free time drinking in Susukino with young co-eds named Yuki and Noriko. >>

Also, except the names were different.image
    Keith
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valdosta State College (now Valdosta State University)
    Brunswick College (now Coastal Georgia Community College)

Majored in Art, English, and Drafting at various times. Never finished a degree in any of 'em.

And most of my college days were when I dropped out of numismatics (pretty much completely between my senior year of high school and my first marriage). I had started collecting coins in 1976 but dropped out between '84 and '91.

During my college days, what I really majored in was Dungeons & Dragons. That was fun and somewhat creative (heck, it's where my Lord Marcovan character originated), but overall it was a colossal waste of time and a big distraction from what I really should've been doing.

So now I'm almost forty and I'm still working as a waiter. Ah, well. I'm perfectly happy with that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Texas A&M BS Zoology 1974
    Un of Kansas BS Chem Eng 1980
    Wharton MBA 1990
    Harvard Exec Ed Manufacturing 1992

Collected coins during the KU days. Stopped then restarted in 1991.
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BS Chemical Engineering - University of Wisconsin - '76
    MBA University of Michigan - '82

Collected as a kid - restarted in 1989.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Currently attending
    University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire Still Undeclared, but leaning towards history and education.
    I'm a Junior
    Been Collectiong since I was 15 or 16.
    I'm currently 20 (21 in March)

Jeff
    I collect bits and pieces of everything
    or should I say I ACCUMULATE!
    I also dabble with the darkside image

Ive recently gotten more into currency, especially modern star notes
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    BS Electrical Engineering - CCYU, Taiwan- 1982
    MS Electrical Engineering - USC - 1987
    Ph.D Computer Engineering - USC, 1990

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    This post seems to reinforce the stereotypical view that coin collectors are a bunch of NERDS!

My sentiments exactly...nice to know I've found home.

B.A. - Accounting Kansas State University Mildcats

J.D. Florida State University Criminoles

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    I went to Indiana University (journalism) and, no, I did not collect then. Spent my money on the two Bs...
  • PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭
    BS - Chemical Engineering - University of Connecticut, 1995

Bust halves, baby!
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    B.S. in Computer Science, San Jose State University, 1988. My first big ticket (as in three-figure!) purchases were made during my college years.

I've been a collector since I was about six or seven years old.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    1996 -- BS -- Upper Iowa University -- Business Management

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Northwestern in Evanston, Illinois. Wish I had been collecting back then - but mostly what I had were gift coins (Kennedy dollars, Morgan Silver Dollars without regard to date or grade, that type of thing.)
  • atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    started college in 2001 will be in till 2006 or 2007. i think from the posts ive done im a very active coin collector
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wisconsin State U at La Crosse BS chem 1971 Ph.D. chem UW-Milwaukee 1975 Post Doc Iowa State Univ. 75-76 interested as a youngin but was dormant for a loooooong time.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • drdjadrdja Posts: 82 ✭✭
    BS: University of Wyoming (math) 1995
    Ph.D: “ (organic chem.) 2001
    Postdoc: University of Illinois at Chicago
    Collected during college: Silver proof sets, proof SAEs, and a few Morgans. Other College Coin Memories: I remember a coin shop in Cheyenne that had some nice original proof-like Morgans that I passed up on (that’s more of regret). In Chicago, I used to walk to work on nice days from Schiller down Dearborn Ave and would eventually pass Harlan Berk’s place on Clark Street just to peek in the display windows.
  • West Virginia University Institute of Technology - A.S. Printing Technology 1998
    West Virginia University Institute of Technology - B.A. Regents - Emphasis in Printing Management 2000

Need 12 more hours to complete Printing Management and Business Managment Degrees.

I didn't start collecting until my Dad handed down his collection to me.

Stacy
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    BS Electrical Engineering from Southern Methodist University.

Started collecting again after an eight year sabbatical in early 1981.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went to Case (full name Case Western Reserve University) in the early 1970's graduated with B.S. Accounting........ then an MBA two years later.

Ambassador Henry and Emory Mae Norweb kept my interest in coin collecting alive as they were my surrogate professors in Cleveland, Ohio.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

AS in Criminal Justice - Morris County College, NJ

Started collecting when I was about 6, stopped when I was about 12.

Started again when I was about 35.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• RRRR Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    B.S. Mathematics - Universrty of Arkansas
    M.S. Operations Management - Universrty of Arkansas
    J.D. Law - University of Arkansas
    School of hard knocks, going on 4 decades.

All a long time ago........ (g)

I did not collect during college, to answer your question, but collected before then and now.... total colleciton time, around 40 years.

RR

<html />
  • I attended Syracuse University for undergrad (B.A. Chemistry) and then went on to Medical School in Buffalo, NY. The year was 1988 and that's when I restarted my obsession with Lincoln cents. Back then, they could be had for a fraction of current prices. There were very few people putting together high end sets. It seems that whenever a high grade Lincoln came available, I was buttin' heads with Stewart for the coin. I managed to come away the winner on very few occasions. Man, those were the days...

Jack

Edited to add: Hey, I just noticed that I replied to this thread long ago. Basically, the same story-back in the good ole days battling my arch rival!!image
  • uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    Double Major:

BSBA in Accounting
    BSBA in Computer Information Systems

University of Arkansas Class of 1985

I collected coins from 9 until 15. Girls and real life kicked in. Then began collecting again when I was 38. I am now 41.

image Doug
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • BS Math and Economics, University of Nebraska, 1986

Collected Silver Dollars, Buffnicks, bought proof and mint sets every year.
  • BS in Soil Science at University of Wisconsin at Stevens Point - '93

The only coins I collected in college were from between the cushions in a friend's couch to pay for beer. They were just as poor as I was and it never added to much.
    "Don't talk like an ignarosis."

I specialize in Wisconsin currency! Looking for information on WI national banknotes. Census stands at 12,318 notes.

**"Wisconsin National Bank Notes - 2nd Edition" is out!!!" Only $20PPd!!!
  • DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭
    B.A. & M.D. at Yale ('66 &70). Had been collecting for 10 years prior to college and kept it up as best as I could while in school. Frequented local bid boards when you could get nice BU silver coins for less than a buck (including Franklins).
    Here's a unique way I've celebrated my educational background through the acquisition of an appropriate collectable 25 years ago:

Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....
  • B.S. and MBA - U. of Wisconsin
    PhD - Finance - U. of Massachusetts-Amherst (UMASS, aka "ZOO"MASS)

I didn't collect from about '72-'85 - In school and therefore, pretty much broke!

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Currently at CSU seeking B.S. in electrical engineering, B.S. in Mathematics, and B.A. in Economics. Will graduate in 2006. Been collecting since I was 12.
  • bosoxbosox Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭✭
    B.S. Civil Engineering 1975 U.S. Coast Guard Academy
    M.S. Civil Engineering 1981 University of Illinois (Champaign)

Go Illini - #1 Men's Basketball Team in Division 1A
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • I have my associates now, I am currently going for a Double major of criminal justice and history with a secondary education minor, and i started collecting when I was 20
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    BS, Physics, U of Houston
    MS, Biochemistry, U of Houston
    MD, U of Texas - Houston
    Residency in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, UT-Houston

Didn 't collect back then.
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '82-'84, 2 years Pre-Engineering, Moorhead State University, Moorhead, MN

'84 - '87, B.S. Industrial Engineering and Management, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND

'87 to present, "Rocket Scientist" degree, School of Hard Knocks, U.S. Navy, Civil Service

Started collecting in 1997, well after I was old enough to know better.
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    For me it was English Writing, Psychology, Communications from the University of Pittsburgh - 1985.

Went back to Pitt to receive my graduate certification in Elementary Education - 1992

I collected Franklins and Lincoln cents as a teenager but college put a halt to that. Jumped back into the hobby in 2000 and began collecting Washington quarters and Morgan dollars.
  • Northeastern University, Boston, MA
    College of Business Administration
    Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
    Major: Accounting/Marketing
    Date of Graduation: June 2002

The gold bug did not bite me until Dec 2003; first coin was a 2003 $5 AGE - ICG MS70. I had no idea what that little gold coin would do to my life. NOW I NEED A GOLD OR PLATINUM FIX, JUST SO I COULD GET OUT OF BED IN THE MORNING. That’s some hardcore stuff.
  • After bouncing from college to college (beginning with Univ. of Vermont in 1984) I got my associates degree in Computer Information Systems at New England Institute of Technology in 1996 at the ripe age of 30.

Notables at our commencement...

Buddy Cianci (then mayor of Providence)
    Elizabeth Dole (I gave her a big image since her husband was running against Bubba)
    US Rep. Patrick Kennedy
  • 09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Framingham State College, Framingham Mass. I have been a collector six I was 6.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UPDATE!!!!!

MIT class of 2009 image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • DarkmaneDarkmane Posts: 1,021
    colorado college class of '06. i started in *looks around* '05.
  • FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    BA - University of South Florida - Business/Spanish LIt
    MA - University of South Florida - Spanish Lit
    MBA - Ohio State University - Human Resources Concentration
  • Life's school of hard knocks - still attending! But a note that there are a lot impressive degrees from some fine schools here.
    steve

myCCset
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    College? What college? I didn't make it out of junior high school! image

I've been collecting since I was 7 years old, with just a few times where I lost interest for a while, but never for long.
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BA (AB, they call it) University of Chicago, English Lit., 1994
    Secondary teaching licensure, Cal State Hayward
    Currently 3 courses (and nobody knows how many years image ) away from MA in Curriculum & Instruction at Johnson (read "Podunk") State College, Johnson, VT

Collector since age 7
    Hiatus from buying & selling from sophomore year in HS to after graduation from college, though I would get my collection out of lockup to oogle it when I was home on breaks. Sold some of the better stuff (at the time) the week after I graduated so I could afford decent clothes & shoes to go looking for a job... I still miss my favorite unc 3 cent nickel <sniff!>
    mirabela
  • B.A. at University of Missouri Kansas City. Working on Masters at LSU.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though I already knew the announcement; way to go, Jeremy!image

I went through this entire thread and only noted two people who even attended one school in common with meimage

BS Chemistry: Rutgers
    MS Biochemistry and Molecular Biology: Columbia
    PhD Molecular Biology, Cellular Biology and Biochemistry: Brown

Edited because I'm an idiot and I forgot to add that I collected as a kid and then took it up again while at Columbia.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• mtnmanmtnman Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    Concord College BS in Business 1970

I have been collecting since I was 10 years old.
  • morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    American University
    Conn. Wesleyan University
    Yale University

My circ Morgans was complete in H.S.--- College I collected beer cans.image
    morgannut2
  • razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    Where did you go to College and did you collect then?

Glassboro State (Rowan College) 2003 & Yes, I collected.image

Tom
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file