Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would this 1793 1/2 cent certify? And what grade?

I've been looking for a 1793 1/2 cent in a low grade - a coin that would slab. Take a look at the coin below and let me know what you think (pretty subjective question only given a picture, huh). Your thoughts please........

imageimage
Craig
If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!

Comments

  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    It would slab at anacs, the reverse would probably keep it out of a pcgs slab.

    Fair 2 maybe.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, apart from the wear you couldn't ask for a nicer planchet in well-worn shape! I have a feeling that could slab at PCGS or NGC. I have seen far more problematic coins in their holders than that old beauty.

    Have you pulled the trigger on it yet?
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would bag at PCGS and NGC... ANACS would call it net PO-01 is my guess, as it has marginally AG details (no reverse)
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Definate bodbag at PCGS, NGC or ICG for the reverse damage.

    Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat example of a tough half cent. I own an ANACS P1 myself.

    Too bad about the reverse. I'm afraid ANACS would NET grade it. Still.....a nice piece.

    Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 25,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANACS: AG03 Details, Net FA02
    Any hint of a date and device detail on the OBVERSE awards this one AG'ish status in detail.
    The flat reverse (is there any detail at all? It looks like there may be a hint here or there) and the slight pit preclude PCGS and probably NGC from holdering it (unless it is from a famous Pedigree, of course. . .).
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146 ✭
    it may not need slabbing IMO.

    if its for sale then the buyers of these early coppers generally know what they,re looking at
    and may even prefer it unslabbed.

    the grades offered here are mostl likely pretty accurate. i,d say you just got a coin graded for free.
    not bad for just asking huh.

    image
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146 ✭
    can you imagine someone starting to drill a hole in it when another says` Hey Wait!!!! It could be a valuable coin.`

    Driller: Oh heck...How Vaulable?......image

    image
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    It looks funny to me: Too well struck, too well centered, too nice of a planchet, and no reverse. Is it a Gallery Mint copy?

    Tom
    Tom

  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭
    Any chance that "ping" on the reverse is a planchet defect? Quality control probably wasn't that good in 1793..... and there's no corresponding mark on the obverse (at least that I can see in the picture).
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    Craig, I believe that is damage on the reverse, as opposed to a "planchet defect" and that neither NGC nor PCGS would grade / holder it.

    As one option, however, you could get NCS to holder it as genuine, without assigning a grade.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭
    It looks like someone dinked it with a center punch. However, it is still a nice specimen. No ugly corrosion.
    National Register Of Big Trees

    We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Here is the obverse using auto levels in photoshop.
    image

  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    I like the bullet hole. Is that extra?
    DSW
  • Options
    Mark is right--NCS would be an excellent way to have it authenticated and detail level described. ANACS (economy) will authenticate and net grade it for you. NCS will cost more but be much faster. (I have a 1798 large cent in similar condition that I found and am real fond of--but wouldn't slab it--I'm holding out for an AG3/G4 for my type set.)
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say that it is Poor-1. You can't call it Fair-2 because the reverse is blank, and although some might argue that it is FR-2 because the date is readable.

    I don't know if PCGS would body bag it because of the little attempted puncture on the reverse. I don't think NGC would, and I know that ANACS wouldn't. I'd say that mark is certainly not a problem in this grade.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I still think it is a counterfeit, a Gallery Mint reproduction.

    Tom
    Tom

  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would have a decent shot at grading at PCGS, one area that there a little more liberal in is early copper, especially being a 1793. Grade should be around a Poor-1 IMO, I agree with Bill about the reverse, had it had a little more detail visible, It might would pull a fair-2.

    jim
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Braddick has it right on, in my opinion.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

    My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
    image
  • Options
    I'm not sure but tjkillian just might be right. There is something about that profile which has bugged me since I first saw it. It definiately doesn't match the obverse found on C-3 or C-4. It is similar to the obverse used for C-1 & C-2 but it just doesn't seem rght.
    The picture to the right is obverse of C-3 and the one below it is the obverse of C-1.

    imageimage

    image
    The cheekbone relief on the subject coin seems higher and positioned closer to the eye. Liberties fecial expression somehow seems "happier, bubblier, and more jovial" than that seen on C-1. Unfortunately I don't have a good picture of a GMM copy for comparison.
  • Options
    I don't buy the gallery mint theory. not enough to tell from a pic and one would leave a little more meat to get enough money to make it worth while. I think PCGS would slab it.
  • Options
    OK- Stupid question time. I don't collect these, so can someone tell me how much does this coin sell for? Would slabbing improve the selling price?
    Tim
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭
    Tsimmerdown, for a coin in FR02 (assuming that's the grade), maybe $1000 plus or minus. This coin appears to have a nice planchet with no corrosion or pitting (oops, excepty the reverse ping). Like you, I'm not familiar with early copper and I sure don't want to make a $1000 mistake!

    Condor, looks alot more like C-1 to me........
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    I noticed on Auction site today...."NO RESERVE"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file