Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

What's In A (User)Name?

I was asked by Rob Mcbride(Buckwheat)while setting at the registry luncheon about my user name,so I have to give credit to Rob for giving me the idea for this thread.I told him about my name and I started thinking about all the really diverse user names on our boards.Some are self explanatory and some I would never figure out.Take a minute to explain what your user name means to you.Here's mine:

My three kids in chronological order: Timothy=TI,Patrick=P,Emily=EM Hence TIPEM

I hope most of you will respond.It might give everyone an insight into your head(scary thought?)image

Vic
Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.

Comments

• Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    I can do this one. I derive Spacktrack from our local high school, Spackenkill, and my involvement with their track program. From that, you get Spacktrack.

I am often referred to here as SPACETRACK. It's always good to get the chuckle from it.
  • Options
    Drock1026

First name Derek: born Oct 26 th.
    simple enough- but when i first tried a username i think my first 4 were already in use!

Always collecting PSA 10 2001 Sweet Spot Baseball
    email me with card and price.
    drock1026@aol.com
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Alan Cowart (acowa)
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    Pretty simple.....

If you had a question about a Kellogg's card....where would you go ???

That's right !!

(I also had a crown I wasn't using...hee.hee....)

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    well...
    I am just very immature.
    simple.

imageimage
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    My name was inspired by a commercial that Rafael Palmeiro did, but I'm not a very good speller.
  • Options
    Tipem; its funny...I thought of starting this very same post myself after returning from the Nationals. Many registry guys asked me about my board name (RayBShotz).
    The Ray B is obvious (Ray Boehm)

The rest is a story. I'll try to condense for those who did not hear it at the show.

In the late 70's and early 80's (79 to 81') I frequented a lot of punk rock and new wave establishments. One particular establishment had a unique idea for checking ID and providing a gimmick at the same time. They had their bouncer drag you to an area where they had a camera set up, and were printing special ID's with your picture, DOB, and your name. Of course the name part quickly devolved into "come up with something more clever" than the next guy.
    Being somewhat quick on my feet at the time I wanted something that remotely tied back to me, but had a "punk" edge all the same.

the birth thereby of Ray B Shotz (rabie shots).

When I first signed in here there was a user name required and I am not quite as quick on my feet as I used to be. I am still not quite sure why I even remembered that ID name from a punk club in New Jersey some 20 years previous, or even why I thought of it at all...but that's what popped into my head at that moment and I ran with it.

Other user names for the record.
    RayB69Topps
    Ray Boehm
    aja4rayb = ebay user name

or just call me RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Oh yeah...the pine tree is a tribute to my new home state of Maine...lovin' it!
    RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    danandkatdanandkat Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Dan is me, Kat is short for Kathy my wife. And you get dananadkat.

Thanks
    Dan
    SF Giants from the 60's & 70's in PSA6-9. dwdominguez@hotmail.com

"Just when they think they got all the answers, I change the questions."
    -- Roddy Piper
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

Ray,

How about, You can call me Ray or you can call me Jay..........

Vargha,

THAT is toooo funny!!!, I just fell out of my chair!!!

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    Thanks for the credit,Tipem, but that was all your idea after I asked where your name came from.

When I was about 13, my hair turned very frizzy, and a classmate tagged me with that name at a summer camp. My high school friends still use it on the rare occasions I see them.

Buck
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    CARKIM= CARlos & KIMberly

not to creative but the wife likes the fact that I included her.

I made that name before my children were born, but I like the idea of trying to add them in some how.

Carlos
  • Options
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! My wife doesn't know that I'm buying cards again. I probably should tell her.
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Vargha,

Here is a tip that I learned about cards and your spouse. Show her the auction that end with a final price higher then expected. Even show her the cards that you list. But never show her the cards that you buy. If she finds some, tell her that you are about to list them on eBay and FIND A NEW HIDING SPOT. She love you for it in the long run.

Carlos
  • Options
    She was stunned to find out the amount of money I had spent building that 1951 Bowman set without her knowledge.
  • Options
    ydsotter

Yale Divinity School and "otter" has always been my nickname (last name is Ott, like Mel Ott)

It was my original ebay name and I created this account and my ebay account while I was in Graduate school at YDS,
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Best friend growing up was also named Eric so my middle initial got used quite a bit for I.D. purposes--Eric Jay to EJ. The 'Guru' comes from someone who has become a very close friend. When I first met him, he was having a real tough time with a few things and I kinda helped him through. As time went by, he stayed in touch with me as my career progressed, and a few years back--without notice--he walked into my office. He used the name Guru to describe me to the group in my office at the time, and they haven't let it go (no matter how hard I try to convince them I'm nothing special).
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    I use to wear really baggypants in my teens. Since I no longer wear them im x-xbaggypants. My last nane is Williamson and I'm a huge Raiders fan, Hence the Fred Williamson Icon.

Later,
    Pants
  • Options
    LJB17LJB17 Posts: 252 ✭✭

<< <i>and they haven't let it go (no matter how hard I try to convince them I'm nothing special). >>

Eric,

If it makes you feel better, I believe you when you say you are nothing special. image
    Looking for 77 cloth 9s and 10s.
    54 Red Hearts
    and now 64 Stand ups
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    my name is the actual name of a street in the center of MIAMI . it literally translates to 8th street.

i was looking for something that represented my Cuban heritage as well as my current life in the states, so i came out w/ the name of this street which cuts all across the from east coast to the west coast of florida (tamiami trail).. at one point in the 60's this part of the city where 8th street is located had a big concentration of cuban refugees and although its no longer populated by many cubans it still remians a great symbol of a better life for any cuban that comes to the USA.

the funny thing is that it actually took me a while to come up w/ my user name. my first choice was marlinsfan ...but for some bizarre reason it was taken!
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Mine is pretty simple. I collect the 1940 Play Ball set, hence "PlayBall".

Real creative, huh?image
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Basilone = John Basilone (my name).

Vargha was my inspiration.

John
  • Options
    SUPERPUNK813 - here is the breakdown.

SUPER= Anything thats SUPER is better than something thats not like SUPER size or SUPER sale.

PUNK= Id say i may be the only person in the world who is 29, collects graded sports cards and still listens to PUNK rock music.

8= I used to run demolition derbys all over the midwest (moslty Ill, IN, KY, TN and OH) and i always ran number 8.

13= My lucky number.
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I joined AOL back in 1996. I tried about 30 usernames and all were already taken. My son was watching cartoons on tv and the episode with Elmer Fudd hunting Bugs Bunny was on. Once Elmer said "Look, wabbit twax!", I tried it. Somebody already had it with 2 b's so I tried with 1 b and it worked. I stuck with it ever since, even on Ebay. Plus the chicks think it's cute. image
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Well,

When I first signed up here, I had trouble spelling both FRANK and BAKKA. So I found that FB was much easier. (Although I occasionally forget how to spell it as well!!!)
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    srs1asrs1a Posts: 398
    srs = my initials and first try at an aol account name... but it was taken.

So, if I can't be srs, then I'll be srs1...taken again.

OK, if I can't be srs1, then I'll try srs1a -- it worked. So, I'm srs1a on aol, eBAY and various message boards.
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
    While on an expedition in Zaire I came across these really amazing trees that the local tribes called "wayne trees". Anyways, I was amazed be them so I stood there and counted that there were 8,348 of these trees so that's how I got my name.image

Actually I have absolutely no creativity and the 8348 is a long distance password at work.image

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    mikeschmidt = my favorite player!

(also same first/last initials)
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    humm, I'll have to try and remember why I choose mine, it's been a while image
    www.LloydWTaylor.com
    Vintage Baseball Cards
    Sales and Ebay Consignment Service
    email
    Lloyd_Taylor_Vintage_Cards -- on Ebay
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Born and raised on the south side of Chicago and I'm a White Sox fan.
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    "thegemmintman" - I'm a guy that prefers PSA 10's image.
  • Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604
    MRC = my intials
    32 = My lucky number growing up and the number I always use as my powerball number.
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    Stump

Nickname form highschool football days. I was a runnng back built close to the ground 5'5" and my coach used to say I was tough as a stump to knockover. Hence my teammates starting calling me stump.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    riccaboni? My last name image

-Ian
  • Options
    Before ebay I used to set up at card shows and also sold vintage lunchboxes, golden age comics,1950's beer cans, ashtrays, and all kinds of other goofball items.
    I called my side business "crossroads in collecting" and later shortened it to just interchanges.
  • Options
    In addition to my baseball card love, I have enjoyed raising reptiles, especially snakes, most of my life, right up to present at the age of 51. I am a veterinarian, and in the early days some folks started calling me the 'Snake Dr.'

Tom H
  • Options
    While some might think Martin Dihigo is my name, hopefully most will recognize that he is one of the greatest players in the history of the game. A HOFer in the U.S., Mexico and Cuba, he was a dominant pitcher AND hitter, once leading the league in pitching and batting in the SAME YEAR!

It's my goal to have one of every card produced of him during his playing career (or shortly thereafter). I currently have cards of him produced in Cuba, Mexico, Venezuela, and the Dominican Republic. Many are the only known examples.

I became a Dihigo fan as a teenager in the mid-80's when my interest in the Negro Leagues was sparked by a 3 hour conversation with Lou Dials, a kind old man who played in the Negro Leagues and shared story upon story about great players I'd never heard of. He said Dihigo was the best ever.

-Ryan Christoff
  • Options
    riccaboni? My last name

That shows no imagination whatsoever. People like you should be locked up and put away!
  • Options
    Yup, I pegged Ian as a troublemaker from the first time he posted.
  • Options
    Yeahh....

We shoulda beat him up when we had the chance...
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Good Riddance- hardcore punk band that i like.
    189- just a number.
  • Options
    We couldn't. His mom would have kicked the krap out of us.
  • Options
    rbeatonrbeaton Posts: 631

<< <i>That shows no imagination whatsoever. People like you should be locked up and put away! >>

I agree! You should at least use your first initial. image

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options
    Oh yeah...

She was keeping a pretty close eye on us, wasn't she... (can't blame her though...)
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    I use 'tripoli' because when I was being born in 1962, my Italian grandfather was willing to pay my
    parents $100 if they would name me tripoli. For some reason, he liked the name. I guess he had visited
    Libya once before he emigrated to Canada. So it's kinda a family joke but it was unique on ebay and I
    have kept with it for other boards. My mother thought he was nuts at the time and $100 would have gone a long way back then.image
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.
  • Options
    gt - short for Georgia Tech, my alma mater (Go Jackets!)
    beaker - my fraternity nickname in college, mainly due to the fact that my last name is Baker and I majored in chemical engineering.
  • Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    Mine is very easy

boggs....Wade Boggs
    3010 ....career hits
    12...uniform # with his last team
    x
  • Options
    Luxurywines

I sell and collect fine wine ( my other very expensive habit).

I use it for my EBAY ID (Luxurywines@aol.com) as well.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    lol,

If I show up in Cleveland next year, should I bring a body guard? image Eh, I wasn't really fealing creative at the time and I just wanted to keep it simple. If I had a second chance, I would probably rename myself to "AlfisMyHero" or something similar. image Besides being an avid fan of sports cards and professional wrestling, I am a huge mark for Alf.

-Ian
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Mine is easy as well

Dave---first name
    mri--I am an mri technologist at indiana university hospital

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!