Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the most expensive coin you have purchased on eBay?

MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
For me, the most expensive coin is probably in the neighborhood of $250 or so. It was for a high-grade clad dime.

How about you: If you don't mind telling, how much is the most expensive coin you have purchased on eBay and what is the coin?

Mark
Mark

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    $480 for a MS-63 1908 No Motto $20 right before gold got super duper higher. I think it's still a good price for it considering where gold is.
  • Options
    I will never purchase an expensive coin thru ebay unless its from someone I already know and trust.

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    ANACS certified G06 1916-D Mercury. (paid a bunch, but it was a bargain).

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhhhhh...
    $30 maybe? If even...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    About ½ dozen in the $500 - $1000 range raw, but always from high feedback sellers with fair return policies. I'm nervous gambling more than that sight unseen, but never say never. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    a '56 FE in PCGS VF25 from IRAS4
  • Options
    1785 Nova Constellatio Pointed Rays PCGS MS63 BN. Pop 1/2 < 0 I paid a fair price. I own both!
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    Go to My Web Page (link below). All but one has been purchased on eBay.

Numonebuyer
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Highest on eBay was $351 for this one:

A couple others in the $300 to $350 range. But, mostly what I do on eBay now is try to cherry pick stuff cheap.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    An 1877 Indian head cent in Fine 12 (ANACS). I used paypal and it arrived in 3 days! A coin collector sold it. I checked his feedback. He had bought several hundred nice coins and had sold only this one. Then I saw he had just bought an 1877 cent in EF45 PCGS. I guess he didn't need that lowly fine coin anymore.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A MS65 Accugrade High Relief 1907 Saint bought by me for MS 64 money. That was back before I knew of this forum and all the wonderful things reported here about Accugrade. It has long since been traded and the purchaser I traded it to and I agreed it was fairly priced as a MS64. It really was a beautiful coin, but a coin like that not in a PCGS or NGC holder won't command a premium. By the way I see in this week's ANA auction that a PCGS High Relief 1907 Saint went for $35,000.00 Anyone here see it to know if it was special or if that is now the going auction price for an MS65?
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    if I have to pay for it $16800.00

everyone knows the coin

link to auction
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the most expensive coin I've gotten on eBay, an 1860-O Seated Dollar PCGS MS61, for $895. It was a coin I'd wanted for a long time. I knew that there were a lot of MS60-61 coins around, and that if I was patient a nice one (for the grade) would come along. I was NOT disappointed with this one. image

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    NGC VF20 $50 Assay octagon. It's now a PCGS VF20. Cost me $5500
  • Options
    $2200 for a 31-S Lincoln in 6RD, although I had a look at the 26-S ICG 65RD but sent it back.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Proof 66 DCAM Barber Half PCGS. It was the second time I bought the SAME exact coin....image

Bought it the first time from a local dealer. Sold it for a profit. Bought it again from Adrian off of ebay. Sold it again for a profit....

That coin was good to me....image

John
  • Options
    A half dozen or so in the $500 to $750 range.
  • Options
    RBB617RBB617 Posts: 497 ✭✭
    $99 plus $4.50 to DHRC to complete a short gold eagle set that I was trying to complete so that I could move on to a different set. It was a fair price, but I probably could have gotten a better price if I had been more patient or sniped someone else.
    Brian
  • Options
    $600 but it was on the BST board after it was on E-bay and didn't sell. I sold it a month later for $900image
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $2100.00 for the 1926S MS64FB Merc I have. Then it falls down to less than $500 for a couple of coins. Then a bunch of them for less than $100.

Most over $100 are bought from Web Sites (Various) or Heritage Auctions.

Ken
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    $410.00 , It was a common date $20 Lib in ANACS-45. I like to keep my Ebay per transaction exposure under $500 . I use Paypal for exclusively for my Ebay transactions and like to limit it to $500/coin/transaction.

Brian.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I bought a pair of PCGS PR70DC/MS70 2001-D Buffalo S$1 for $3500. I was nervous about sending that much money, but after some emails (and the fact he had feedback for delivering more expensive coins) I sent off my money order. And fortunately that deal went smooth.

I sold the MS70 for $1800 and the proof was in my Modern Commemorative Set which is now retired at number eleven (it was #1 when I sold it) and now has been upgraded to #1 this year by JB3. But after seeing the PR70DC Buffalo selling for $5,000 on eBay last month image I wished I kept it.

The most I ever got ripped off for was $700 for some Krugerands (along with 88 others from an eBay PowerSeller, who had to return to Brazil with his $100,000 to avoid prison).

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <---------------------------
    This Ike dollar. Bought it from SuperCoin on eBay. I forget exactly, but think it was around $500.00
    <---------------------------

peacockcoins

• Options
    1858 J-208 IHC pattern for $950. I don't typically do Ebay transactions over $500 or so, but I have had about 20 transactions with the seller so it was a safe transaction......
    Paul Fillmore
    ANA LM5200
  • Options
    About $1700 from a dealer I knew, and about $1400 from someone I didn't know.
    Being careful will go a long way towards not getting ripped off. I got ripped earlier this year on a Yahoo auction for $225, but since I had used a c2it payment on it, I simply had a chargeback issued on my credit card. C2it seemed to prefer to eat the chargeback than go after the guy committing fraud.
    Collector of Fractional Gold; gold tokens from Canada, California, Alaska & other states; gold so-called dollars, and other oddball stuff.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $600 for a "choice" image ANACS P1 Chain cent.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    $1860 for a NGC MS64BN 1914-D cent.

David
  • Options
    I bought a 1907 Cameo proof 66 Liberty Nickel from a dealer on eBay. That is one coin I regret selling.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A shade over $2400 for a 1893-S Morgan PCGS vf25. A couple 89-CC PCGS xf45 and a 96-S PCGS ms63 in the $1400 range.

In just a bit over a year a similar 93-S went for over $3800. HMMMMMM, shudda bought that roll of em.
  • Options
    $120 for a freaky toned MS63 CC Morgan from K6AZ ~ a great purchase image
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Most I paid on eBay was for an MS64 Lafayette dollar. But I'm not going to tell you how much I paid image.
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    1856 FE anacs au55, 7200.
  • Options
    $425 for a beautiful 185 BC tetradrachm from Antioch--Antiochos IV-- guaranteed from here to eternity by a very reputable dealer--2000 year old Greek silver is an experience to be savored. It provides an almost direct link to our early Federal coinage--when art mattered.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

1916 SLQ MS64FH from ebay id iras4, the person who I trust for 5 digits $$$.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    a $1600 BIN where the coin turned out to be worth twice the BIN priceimage
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    $730 for a 94-S Morgan in 63.

Hey, I see my image of the reverse of that toned Morgan has become popular! image
  • Options
    doopsdoops Posts: 498
    not really "from ebay directly" but bought 10-12g in stuff from a gent via ebay originally. his dad was one of walt disney's original partners early 50's. he knew nothing and poor photoing and describing led to a loss to him of 50 g or so on what we bought off ebay from him until we exchanged numerous emails about how his ahole was getting busted wide open. i even disclosed some of the snipe max's i had placed on lots that were going for 10-15c or less on the dollar with us as the winner. after countless exchanges of emails,phone calls,faxes and instructions on how to separate what into what category so we could "general idea" the collection of high/low we rcvd some 30 packages over 3 mos of all kinds of goodies from bust dollars,lots of early type through the 60's special mint sets bunch of bu rolls of dollars,halves and quarters and all kinds of mostly complete sets in between from a to z. we provided detailed supporting market info (bluesheets,greysheets and the grade possibilities of value between each),etc,etc. spent over 150g with him and made about an extra 75-80g in a 1 to 3 month period of wholesaling off the bulk dollars,type,commems,proof and mint sets galore from 36/up,bunch of 90% junk then slabbing quite a load of some very very nice hits. all by being fair and honest with the guy up front. even tried to get a slab the worthy coins,wholesale/retail the rest deal going with him but he preferred to do it without a whole lot of "doings" by shipping us several care packs a week so he could just be done with it. the guy is worth millions so it didnt matter he just wanted it all gone. that's how you do it.. before we began to deal direct one of the rips off ebay was a washington quarter set 32-64 less the 32d and 36d in wayte raymond holders since the 60's all with rainbow killer maximum toning we bought for $300+ because his pics looked like a circ set. fuzzy,blurry detail, but i could see through the pics,the wayte ramond cards and binder and was even gambling it on an esnipe at $2000. that set was a "wonder set" of washingtons and they all got ngc slabbed and turned into $25,000+
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carl, didn't I lead you to that coin?

The most expensive is in the $500-$800 range (cannot remember an exact coin). The most expensive coin I have ever bought came from a board member in an online transaction (very recently). My most valuable coin (a pop 1) was an online transaction, where I pulled the trigger based on an image from the lot. This was a dealer, and not an ebay nor auction sale.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    $1,000 for a 1872-S $10 gold in ICG AU-50; successfully crossed to PCGS AU-50.

Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    My most expensive eBay transaction:

1936 Mercury Dime PCGS PR64: $1,109.00

I normally won't spend more than $500.00 on a coin unless I can personally talk to the dealer and/or look at the coin in person. I still don't believe in sight-unseen trading for every coin. A 65 is not always a 65.
  • Options
    $372 + $5 shipping for a 1900 $20 in NGC MS-62. What a deal! The picture was kind of fuzzy so there weren't many bids. The coin turned out to be pretty clean for the grade. At the time, it should have gone $50 higher.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    1855 1/2 cent PCGS MS64RD $1250.00. A real beauty!!image
  • Options

<< <i>Carl, didn't I lead you to that coin? >>

dbldie55 you probably did. However my memory isn't what it used to be. Thanks!

I do remember looking at lots of Cameo Proof Liberty nickels from the 1900s. Very few of them had well frosted Vs. This one did. The good person I sold the coin to gave it to his daughter who is keeping the collection. Perhaps one day I will get it back.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    ct terc for 63 money that came back a 65image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    1995 W SAE $1200.00
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I wish I could have read this thread about 10 years ago so I could have invested in eBay. It seems like everyone, including me, has bought at least one item from eBay.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    $450 for a 1956 Type 2 Franklin Proof Half Dollar PCGS PR68DCAM back in March from R&I Coins to help fill my Modern Type Set.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1898 Barber half, PCGS PR63 CAM, ex-Benson, $1,063.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I bought this 3 years ago. It was in a NGC holder but I crossed it for my registry set.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have spent $750.00 Twice. Both coins were certified and I was sure that I could easily resell them for the same amount at any time.

Tyler

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file