Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it time to break this forum into two forums, a U.S Modern forum and a U.S. Classics forum?

This place is growing. I see newcomer's posts with great regularity. That is good in many ways....and bad.

The good thing is that it is a indication that something here is worth participating in, and it also is evidence that numismatics is alive and well......and growing (which is also good and bad.)

The bad thing is that this forum will possibly become more and more like a nursery where all the youngsters get their milk. I don't know about you, but discussing the relative merits of 1989 Unc Silver Eagles vs. the 1990 Silver Eagles is less than stimulating.

Youngsters need their own forum....i've already seen posts complaining about people who complain about PCGS being too tight. (By the way, not all tight things are bad. A loose bungy cord jumping harness is just one thing of several you might prefer tight.)

I think you don't necessarily need a 'dealer's' forum, but you might want to break it out into U.S. Modern and U.S. Classics forum. Newbies are generally attracted to moderns and once they've herniated three discs lugging their collection around, they start thinking about collecting something older than their TV.

Quite frankly, I like some moderns. My boy loves moderns (and classics, specially when i pay for them).

I just think that as everyone finds this place, it's going to decrease in its attractiveness to people (dealers and collectors) because it's like going to a party where there's one good looking girl and 25 guys. You have an objective and the 25 guys just get in the way.

adrian

Comments

• Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    I would vote yes for this!
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    How about a coin forum and a whining b*tching forum? image

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I do not think multiple forums are needed. The only aspect of the forum I haven't enjoyed are the new trolls who come in and disrupt the forum. Outside of that, I'm OK with things as they are.

Neil
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Adrian, That sounds like a first class idea. You make a coherent and

strong argument for splitting the Forum. I am totally in favor of trying

such an experiment.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    BIGDAVEBIGDAVE Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
    humm.. well i collect 1950 thru 1964 proof cameo's where do i fall modern or classicimage
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Modern.

For some subconscious reason, 1936 sticks in my mind as the cutoff date.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    adrian, I don't think you know what you have unleashed! Everytime I mention splitting the forum into a seperate modern and classic forum it creates quite a stir and then I have to lay low for a few days and answer all the nasty PM's image. mike image

• Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    image No, this is more of an open debate forum as well as coins. Maybe HRH can see about adding another forum for just that purpose, and you will probably see a low turn out or another lambasting of OT's again. This forum has variety and that's what keeps it going! Good, Bad, or Indifferent, it is entertaining from all aspects of the coin world!!image
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    I think each denomination has a different date when it becomes a modern in my opinion and this is only my idea of when the moderns start. mikeimage
      cents- after 1943
        nickels- after the buffalo nickel
          dimes- after the mercury dime
            quarters- after 1940
              Half dollars- after the walking liberty
                dollars- after the peace dollar
                  commemoratives- after 1954
                1. Options
                  wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
                  I prefer the idea of a dealer and a collector forum. Anyone can participate on either forum, but, it would (hopefully) end the collector/dealer clashes we see so often. I suspect Adrian might find the "dealer forum" discussion illuminating and he might accomplish his goal even with a dealer forum.

I am not strongly against Adrian's idea of a separate Modern and classic coin forum though. However, no one can ever agree what a "modern coin" is. Adrian mentions 1936 - so when I discuss my 1932 Wash quarter, I need to do it on one forum and when I discuss my 1936 Wash quarter, I need to do it on another forum - please make sure that doesn't happen!! image

Wondercoin
                  Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
                2. Options
                  I think way back in the olden days, the days before I joined, there were constant modern vs classic battles here. So the Registry Forum was created.

As to newbies I hope we keep getting more and more of them. As time goes buy newbies learn stuff and become (what?, oldbies?) established. Some old timers drift off. Such is life.

I am able to find interesting threads and avoid non productive ones. I'm happy with the way it is, though I do find myself wondering about those folks who frequent the open forum and the darkside... Maybe I'll poke my head in those places later...
                3. Options
                  FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
                  Co-existence is possible. I do believe this is the U.S.Coin Forum. Who knows a person just might learn something about pocket change that is collected. Or in another sense just maybe a seasoned collected just might be able to help one of the newer collectors. They are the Future of the Hobby I believe.

Ken
                4. Options
                  roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
                  Adrian, I don't think there is enough interest on the forum solely in
                  the classic area...yet. I would bet the number is 10 to 1 or higher in favor of moderns. And a decent # of those modern guys cross over and provide stimulating classic posts too.

I fear you would be the Maytag repairman with an occasional visit from maybe a few dozen hardcore classic types.

roadrunner
                  Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
                5. Options
                  There is a simpler solution, if you think about it....

Just create a forum dedicated solely to Morgan Dollars. That would seperate about 2/3 of the existing members, while still leaving a forum where "all US coins" could be discussed among the rest of us image

dwood

"France said this week they need more evidence to convince them Saddam is a threat. Yeah, last time France asked for more evidence it came rollin thru Paris with a German Flag on it." -Dave Letterman
                6. Options
                  wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
                  1936???? Ok, I guess I am willing to "herniate" all my disks for a couple of 1945 Mercs with full bands.
                  Divisions are never healthy for the hobby.

Adrian:
                  Everyone knows you love expensive coins, and thats great, but not everyone can afford them , I love expensive coins also. I love my 1916D in 64full bands just as much as I love my 2003 MS70 Gold Eagle.
                  So the question is this, if your son loves moderns, why would he need as separate forum, would it not be more convenient for him to learn about Seated dollars on the same board as he learns about Gold Eagles?

If you are offended my moderns, don't answer that thread?

Brian.
                7. Options
                  I thought this forum was to help and educate newbies on coin collecting. If you banish us to a different forum because you dont like helping us or looking at our photos we will not get any better at collecting coins. Newbies can't really give good advice because we are new to collecting and don't know the answers. You know you don't have to read every thread. If a thread does not have any interest to you pass it up, don't waste your time. I like to read all the threads and see all the pictures. That is how you learn. Don't banish newbies to a different forum or we will stay newbies forever. I collect toned coins. From Morgans to present. What forum would I fit in?

My opinion.

Lori
                8. Options
                  WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
                  I see no need for a split. The subject line usually indicates where the topic is going. Usually.
                  After all, even the illustrious Adrian Crane has been known to sell a "modern" from time to time.
                  Like the one I just bought from him. A 1962 Franklin half with some of the most unusual
                  and beautiful iridescent toning that I've ever seen on a Frankie. I don't consider it a modern,
                  but rather, a very cool looking coin that just happens to be younger than me.
                9. Options
                  mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
                  I too, have thought of this issue, my thoughts brought me to this, Levels of access.

What? Levels of access are you talking about Ray?

Well, let me elaborate before I go....lol.

OK, so as you stick around and contribute more and more to the forum, you eventually earn more options. Such as, accessing the Classic forum (Not developed yet) Lets use 5000 posts. So, your a jr and you can post in the jr forums until you it 5000 posts, at which point you can post in the Senior forums. Before your are a senior, you can only read the Senior forums....Just a though, I know there are a few things to iron out, but they can be worked out.

I kind of got the idea from a certain Mutual fund that requires up front of 50% of your investment image but the plan is, it keeps out all the short day trader investors and keeps all the persistant long term investors in.

It could work kind of the same way, the long time contributors to the forum will stay in, the short time contributors will pop smoke and move on.

I know, a few bugs to work out but this whole thread has promise in my opinion....BUT, I will be gone for the next 6 months to a year so why should you listen to me...lol.

tty all later,
                  Ray
                10. Options
                  How about different forums for each different series or, better yet, different forums for different dates of each series or for each different date/mint mark combination of each series. For example, I have zero interest in 1910-D Barber dimes but 1910-S Barber dimes are fascinating. image

Actually, a Modern and Classic forum would not be that bad of an idea, in my mind, but I still think there should be a general US Coin Forum also.
                  Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
                11. Options
                  LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
                  I still say we have a HepKitty forum un-censored and no holds barred!
                  imageBe Bop A Lula!!
                  "Senorita HepKitty"
                  "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
                12. Options
                  FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
                  Barbers Suck, dull design, hard to find Original, just a all around Dog. They should just be Forgot about Completely. image

Ken
                13. Options
                  boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
                  I see this as simply adding options. If we had seperate modern and classic forums it would not force me to choose one or the other. I would assume that I would have still be able to read and post on either forum. Whats wrong with additional choices?
                14. Options
                  lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
                  I see a disparity in the content contributed by forum members. Some members have a lot of knowledge to share, other members have a lot of knowledge to learn. I don't know how you separate the forum and satisfy everyone.

I do think that some members are not very discriminating about sharing their opinions, so we end up reading a lot of dribble, and that may lead some to think the forum is a waste of time. So, when it comes time to get an opinion on an imaged coin, we may get less of a response because some collectors spend less time on the forum because they know there is to much dribble to sort through.

So, maybe discouragine dribble is more important than separating out classic vs. modern.

Personally, I don't mind the dribble too much, but I must say, for every 1 post strictly on coins that is well thought out, there are ten other posts that are silly. I wish the ratio was more like 1:1.

I brake for ear bars.
                15. Options
                  RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
                  I think splitting the forums would work. Unfortunately, the percentage of of the overall posts which related to pattern would remain under 0.05%.
                16. Options
                  The modern forum would be the equivalent of a party where chicks run around like jello on springs. Loud music and fights prevail. Total
                  chaos and fantastic memories of stimulation and excitement are made. The parents are away. The keg breaks the bathtub upstairs and
                  water soaks the ceiling and it falls in. The stong odor of many burning joints pervades the air. A complete and total blast.

The classic forum is a 2 million dollar home where the members sit in sumptuous chairs made of calf in front of a stone fireplace.
                  The melllow buzz from a $200 bottle of wine creeps over their consicousness and they talk about things they have seen and their
                  memories of fantastic people they have known.

adrian
                  I am what i am.
                17. Options
                  I think with about 150 new members joining each weak some type of split is inevitable just to slow this place down a little. mike image
                18. Options
                  RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
                  I don't know about a "modern/classic" division, but dividing the forum into the "for's" and the "um's" sounds pretty good to me. image
                19. Options
                  ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
                  Guess I'll switch to moderns. image
                20. Options
                  I think splitting is probably a good idea. Everyone could still visit both forums as they wish. I don't collect many modern coins, but I still would likely visit their forum quite often.
                  Go well.
                21. Options
                  MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
                  The modern forum would be the equivalent of a party where chicks run around like jello on springs. Loud music and fights prevail. Total chaos and fantastic memories of stimulation and excitement are made. The parents are away. The keg breaks the bathtub upstairs and
                  water soaks the ceiling and it falls in. The stong odor of many burning joints pervades the air. A complete and total blast.

The classic forum is a 2 million dollar home where the members sit in sumptuous chairs made of calf in front of a stone fireplace.
                  The melllow buzz from a $200 bottle of wine creeps over their consicousness and they talk about things they have seen and their
                  memories of fantastic people they have known.

Why would anyone collect classics???
                  Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
                22. Options
                  Zerbe.....i gotta tell you, i like sumptuous chairs but i also never tire of chicks and loud music.
                23. Options
                  ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
                  I think appreciating loud music and chicks while sitting in a sumptuous chair is fine.

Edit: darn spell sumptuous wrong, lose your seat at the Big Table.
                  Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
                24. Options
                  Good point.

The problem is that at some point there will be too many people at the party.

Somebody didn't clean the weed well enough and seeds are popping and falling in between the cushions of the sumptious chairs.

One solution would be that you could have two US Coin forums organized by time of participation.

After you've posted for a year or two (something i haven't done) you can then begin to post at the Senior forum.

Anyone could visit the the Senior forum, you just can't post there until you've been a member for a predetermined period of time.

It would just thin things out a bit.

snake
                25. Options
                  boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
                  I like the idea of separate forums but I don't like restricting access.
                26. Options
                  FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
                  Adrian

I write this with trepidation as I certainly respect you as a fine numismatist and you bring life to this forum with your beautiful coins. I know what I am about to say here is a little harsh and is certainly out of my character on this forum as I try to participate in an unconfrontational manner. However, you have touched a nerve with me so I prepare for the "Flames".

Your post about splitting the forum for modern and classics is nothing more than a knock on the more inexperienced collectors. You disguise it as a suggestion to separate Modern coins from Classic coins but clearly your message is that you would prefer to not have less experienced collectors in your forum. I hope that was not your true intent, but clearly that is what is being conveyed. I have found in my short 4 years of collecting that I can catagorize most seasoned collectors into 3 profiles.

1. The True Numismatist. Knowledgeable and freely giving of that knowledge to all no matter how basic. Much of their joy is derived from seeing others grow under their tutoring. These are the people (heart & soul) who make this hobby work.

2. The Elitist. These are the folks that go out of their way to let every collector know just how smart they are and how little knowledge other collectors may have. It is an ongoing playground conversation of "I am better than you", or "don't bother me as I have no time for such drivel". Their motivations are many and usually self serving.

3. The Slab Hater. These are the folks that put down the slabbing companies at all times as well as those who use them. Often these are elitists as well(not always). I can only theorize that they do so because a) It now gives all collectors a more even playing field and they are unable to totally disadvantage their looked down upon inexperienced collectors. b)they have discovered that the coins they have collected over the years are not really the grades that they thought they were. And having such a high opinion of themselves they can not handle the conflict.

I might suggest to you that we divide the forum by these catagories. Based upon your post I might suggest that you may enjoy forum 2 - the Elitist.

Adrian, I do believe that you are a True Numismatist and belong in forum 1. However, your message here is out of character for you and as you can tell really kinda ticked me off.

Respectfully,
                  Fatman
                27. Options
                  Adrian, Why not just have thinner people posting. That would thin things out a bit.

Seriously, Adrian is looking ahead perhaps one year, when the numbers on the Forum start to become

difficult to manage. Success of a Forum bring its own special problems that need to be addressed

by management over the next year. I am not absolutely sure of the best approach, but Adrian is

correct in stating we are headed for a log jam in the forseeable future.
                  Camelotimage
                28. Options
                  Adrian, I think thinning things out some would be good but not by the amount of time spent here. I think by the topic would be best so collectors could discuss thier coins of choice with others of the same interest. mike image
                  1. Options
                    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
                    Well, one observation I would make Adrian, is that this past week many threads almost became living representatives of what a Dealer/professionals forum would be like, and I don't think they aquitted themselves any better than the average collector.

I can well imagine when the big guns are taking aim at each other it is distracting to have to worry about civilians (aka collectors). But to me, I believe this forum was started as a "come one, come all" forum, directed at the coin collector. I believe it should stay that way.
                    I also believe if all the dealers just got to sit around in the rarified air, and discuss coins and business among themselves, they would
                    miss out on tremendous opportunities to have their world's expanded.

I understand your fears about this place growing too big, and the general content being watered down to the point of being almost worthless. But, for now I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt, hope for the best and slog on ahead.

If from this forum, the idea for a new forum was born, which operated on different principle and was designed and refined for use by a select group... than that's fine. But, I think it should be a new forum. And probably not connected to CU.

Clankeye
                    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
                  2. Options
                    The current infrastructure is just fine. The "people" perspective sometimes needs adjustment, but as a group we manage, try to change and move on. Not everyone believes that no marketing is the only bad marketing.

Anaconda,

By the way, I may be an exception to your rule. I actually started out in classics, stayed there for quite a few years (Morgans, Peace, seated stuff, Mercs etc.) and then jumped over to join with moderns (not neglecting the classics). I belong to the collect and let collect society.
                    My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??
                  3. Options
                    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
                    I think your coming around to the crux of the issue.

It's not so much modern vs. classic. It's "I just posted my first ebay auction" or the like.

There needs to be a threshhold criteria to participate. Your are either a established participant whom everyone knows is qualified (grandfathered in) or you take a class to learn the ropes.

This class could be short. The most important lesson would be how to use the "search engine" so one could realize their "original thought" has already been posted 50-100 times.

Personally, I like the current mix. I only collect small cents 1856-1909 but I enjoy learning about other series and would find it cumbersome to monitor several forums.
                    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
                  4. Options
                    Fatman:

I enjoy conversing with educated people. I also like to eat hotdogs.

The problem is, i don't want to hang out at the elementary school or at the slaughterhouse.

adrian
                  5. Options
                    I think having three forums would be great, too. A Modern, a Classic and a Hybrid which would be for people who like both.

6. Options
                    PLONK
                    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle." Plato

....... bob**rgte**
                  7. Options
                    Splitting the forum into two or more would only discourage the newbies, in my opinion. Are there MAJOR problems with this forum? Nope. Minor problems, yes, just like any family has when they all get together in one place at the same time.

Folks, please remember, you have free will and choice. For goodness sake....skip the threads that you do not like! Respond in meaningful ways to the ones you want to contribute to. Why is it so hard?

The good the bad and the ugly is all good to me.

I agree with Fatman.
                  8. Options
                    Educated people. I wonder where one might find such an elusive animal.

We have school educated, street educated, experience educated, and those rare people

who are born with an inherent or genetic ability to synthesize education from observation

and self taught knowledge. We have educated people who are rather stupid in most things

and we have people with no advanced education who are the smartest people around. Finally ,

we have educated people who are both book smart and common sense smart. Lots of choices

here folks, take your pick. Its the bell curve of the intersection of knowledge versus wisdom..
                    Camelotimage
                  9. Options
                    Good point. I'll chew on that.
                  10. Options

<< <i>How about a coin forum and a whining b*tching forum? image >>

What he said!image
                    Roy

11. Options
                    Sounds to me like your the problem! Do you know what kind of example you just set for young collectors? WAKE UP! If you dont like Moderns, TOO BAD!
                    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
                  12. Options
                    If I read correctly, this says U.S. Coin Forum! My thought is that if someone posts about a U.S. coin, then it is proper. Or do you need some SPECIAL TREATMENT!!!! ...........Ken
                  13. Options
                    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
                    I do not have time to read all the posts, so here are my suggestions:

How about dividing the classics forum into gold, silver, and copper. Perhaps there are indivual series that warrant their own forum (Morgans come to mind), And then maybe an additional forum for general coin issues that are relevant to all collectors (ie. show reports, PCGS is too tight/loose, so-and-so dealer is good/bad, and general coin commentary).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
                  Emoji
                  Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
                  Drop image/file