Quick CACG Market Thought

Comments

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

@winesteven said:

@ProofCollection said:

@winesteven said:
    Ken - PCGS says when they do a "Regrade", they crack it out of the holder so the graders treat it as a raw coin, then assign a grade. That grade will not be allowed any lower than the original grade, BUT the key point is that when it goes in the brand new holder, regardless if the grade is the same or higher, it gets a NEW cert #. Your photos above have the same cert number, even though the photo is new. That leads me to believe they did a Reconsideration, which RETAINS the SAME cert #.

Steve

I do believe on a reconsideration, if they do change the grade you get a new cert number.

Absolutely NOT true! I've been playing the Reconsideration game for years, as the coins I submit have CAC stickers, and it's so much easier getting CAC to automatically reapply their sticker to a coin that gets a plus added to the whole grade if the cert number remained the same. Without exception, EVERY time I got an upgrade, the cert number remained unchanged.

@DeplorableDan , you are incorrect as well. On the very rare occasion when I would get an upgrade of a whole grade via Reconsideration, the cert number also remained unchanged. However, in that case, getting the CAC sticker reapplied is NOT automatic, as CAC has to then determine if the coin is solid at that new higher whole grade!

While I often "hedge" many of my comments, no need for that in these two cases.

Steve

What you say makes sense. Getting old is tough, I have had a few successful reconsiderations but it's been a while and I could have sworn it resulted in a new cert but I must have destroyed those brain cells already. Thanks for the info.

Welcome to my world regarding losing brain cells, lol. I'm 73.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@DeplorableDan said:
    I stand corrected! As you can tell, I don’t have much experience jumping to the next grade via reconsideration 😅.

Not many of us do. My experience is it's EXTREMELY tough to get to the next higher whole grade via Reconsideration. While not easy with a Regrade, my sense is that is an "easier" route, but still tough.

I jumped a full grade on a Recon once, and surprisingly it was from a blue/modern holder, not an OGH. That was cool, although what I was really hoping for was a PL designation, which it didn't get. I also lost CAC approval in the process, as JA did not sticker it at the new higher grade.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@winesteven said:

@DeplorableDan said:
    I stand corrected! As you can tell, I don’t have much experience jumping to the next grade via reconsideration 😅.

Not many of us do. My experience is it's EXTREMELY tough to get to the next higher whole grade via Reconsideration. While not easy with a Regrade, my sense is that is an "easier" route, but still tough.

I jumped a full grade on a Recon once, and surprisingly it was from a blue/modern holder, not an OGH. That was cool, although what I was really hoping for was a PL designation, which it didn't get. I also lost CAC approval in the process, as JA did not sticker it at the new higher grade.

If you liked the coin, who cares? I made a cash and trade deal for this "1861 Confederate Restrike half dollar" knowing full well that it had flunked at CAC. The money I had in it after the deal made the transaction reasonable, and I liked the piece.

Bill, I love the coin and it's still my type example ($20 Lib). At the time, I was hoping to have my entire 12-piece gold type set CAC approved, although it wasn't a big enough deal to put a max grade on the PCGS submission. I have plenty of non-CAC coins and coins I acquired knowing they had failed, including the centerpiece (and single most expensive item) of my collection.

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2024 3:11PM

@winesteven:
    Steve - I think grading guru & grading navigator are BOTH correct!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Below are CACG results for coins summited for grading that were not authenticated or holdered? Can someone explain, based on this limited sample, why a submitter's coins were returned in bodybags? Some were submitted knowing there were problems but wanting them slabbed as genuine.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe because CACG does not issue coins in details holders?

At any rate, if I had these coins, I would not have bothered to submit any of them except for maybe the Trade Dollar because counterfeits a such a problem with those pieces.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:
    Below are CACG results for coins summited for grading that were not authenticated or holdered? Can someone explain, based on this limited sample, why a submitter's coins were returned in bodybags? Some were submitted knowing there were problems but wanting them slabbed as genuine.

CACG holders some 'details codes', but not others.

Reference: https://www.cacgrading.com/doc/cac-grading-details-code-breakdown/

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

At any rate, if I had these coins, I would not have bothered to submit any of them except for maybe the Trade Dollar because counterfeits a such a problem with those pieces.

CACG loves to slab coins in Details holders.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

@BillJones said:

CACG loves to slab coins in Details holders.

Good to know. I don't have any CACG holders. I saw a couple at Winter FUN, but the prices were high. The coins were PQ for the grade assigned, but not THAT PQ.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@MetroD said:

@VanHalen said:

Thank you. That is good to know. I did not realize a coin that's polished, has graffiti, has been mounted or has any other of the numerous problems listed would not be authenticated at CACG.

That is food For thought when submitting to CACG for authentication. Be ready to receive bodybags in return for your grading fees. The above submitter lost $200. I guess it could have been worse.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all due respect to our host, but I am a single buyer and am buying coins, not holders and the attendant grading opinions of others. Sure, the stinking herd will follow marketing propaganda pretty reliably. But I don't care if the coin is in a stickered or not PCGS or NGC, a CACG, ANACS, or ICG holder. The merits of the coin is ultimately 90%+ of what matters. Registry gamers probably differ with me intensely. So be it.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

I have had some coins upgrade after I sold them - I usually find that out when I look through old submissions.

• Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@Proofmorgan said:
    My self disclosed bias is collecting early gold with significant price deviations between CAC and non CAC coins and >also being a niche participant of this form.

What "early gold" coins do you collect ?

Draped and Capped bust gold QEs and HEs

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

I had a very lucky shot with just getting 4/4 of my key Lincolns crossed over. I went with that route rather than just stickers due to the summer special where you don't pay as much if they don't make it. But now I need some kind of sticker on the CACG holders, CMQ perhaps? They are all MS. ;)

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭

Obviously, CAC and CACG matter depending on the coin...inflection points regarding price....and the pop census at each level where the price moves bigtime.

I'm sure CAC/CACG is more forgiving with a Saint at MS-63 than MS-67.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jefferson nickels with poor/weak strikes, coins with missing details such as missing hair details and missing or weak in detail Monticello windows, etc; coins should not be allowed in their CACG Registry sets ......but guess what....it's already happening!
    So much for all their touting that they'll have higher stricter standards! I really hope this is something they overlooked. Go look into it yourself. This is all I can say.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:
    Jefferson nickels with poor/weak strikes, coins with missing details such as missing hair details and missing or weak in detail Monticello windows, etc; coins should not be allowed in their CACG Registry sets ......but guess what....it's already happening!
    So much for all their touting that they'll have higher stricter standards! I really hope this is something they overlooked. Go look into it yourself. This is all I can say.

Leo

Just because you place more emphasis on strike than CACG (and many others do) doesn’t mean they’re not strict in their grading.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:

Leo

It appears you’re mixing up two separate concepts - CACG strict grading standards, and coins allowed in their Registry. Their Registry is available to all collectors of coins in holders of CACG, PCGS, and NGC. This makes their Registry widely available. It doesn’t mean they agree that all of those coins are solid for the grades on their labels, and it doesn’t detract from the grading standards they have for coins residing in CACG holders!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:

Leo

Sounds like that would be the Jefferson Nickel Full Hair and Full Windows designation only set.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does the coin inside have anything to do with it ?

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Good to know. I don't have any CACG holders. I saw a couple at Winter FUN, but the prices were high. The coins were PQ for the grade assigned, but not THAT PQ.

Er, inflation? Even the cost of PQ coins are going up.............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Any CACG even out there at decent price? My high offer or bid - 10 pct behind CDN bid.

At last show attended guy had some but so overpriced at first thought it some kind of joke. People actually pay that?

Yes, people tend to pay up for coins that are truly nice.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@Cougar1978 said:
    Any CACG even out there at decent price? My high offer or bid - 10 pct behind CDN bid.

At last show attended guy had some but so overpriced at first thought it some kind of joke. People actually pay that?

If it makes any sense cougar, I paid 2x more than I would for my gold cac norris in ms60 than I would have paid for a typical ms61 without a sticker.

Not unexpected. That’s what it takes to buy premium coins.

• Options
    Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@Cougar1978 said:

If it makes any sense cougar, I paid 2x more than I would for my gold cac norris in ms60 than I would have paid for a typical ms61 without a sticker.

To clarify for those that need it, I believe what you’re saying is the reason you paid that is because: a) that coin demanded it and b) the market simply demands a premium for CAC’ed coins and you feel comfortable knowing you’ll retain or increase your investment?

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2024 6:10AM

Confession: I paid 1.25 to 1.30 CAC CPG MV just to have a few early on (advertising display) but down the line unless really have to have / super deal been there done that for that particular inventory class.

As far as somebody else acquiring them it’s their money, hobby; have fun.

Please update your will it CAC / CACG stuff I like seeing how that turns out. Keep them coming. It gives me something more positive than the doomsday blogs on u tube. Do you have a WW3 plan? Very bullish on bullion right now.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@DeplorableDan said:

I’d blow that one out on the Bay, Dan. Looks like it turned in holder. Invest in something better. ;)

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is an interesting message from a somewhat prolific seller. I sold a proof Seated coin in a CACG. I disagree with his opinion, maybe he was throwing some misdirection, anyway I think it's too early to make out any definitive trends yet.

• Options
    Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@Cougar1978 said:

To clarify for those that need it, I believe what you’re saying is the reason you paid that is because: a) that coin demanded it and b) the market simply demands a premium for CAC’ed coins and you feel comfortable knowing you’ll retain or increase your investment?

Sure, much less of the latter than the former, but I wasn’t really trying to make any profound statements. It was an attempt to make Cougar try to think introspectively for once, but I’m confident it fell on deaf ears.

Hence my, “to clarify for those that need it.” 👍🏻😉

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    BeattyBeatty Posts: 17 ✭✭

what ever happened to buying the coin and not the holder?

I have seen ugly coins in all the TPG holders. To me eye appeal is the most important factor. To me an eye popping coin with a hairline or small nick is mush nicer than a bland coin that is technically better.

I have seen plenty of bland coins in holders or with CAC stickers.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Beatty said:
    what ever happened to buying the coin and not the holder?

I have seen ugly coins in all the TPG holders. To me eye appeal is the most important factor. To me an eye popping coin with a hairline or small nick is mush nicer than a bland coin that is technically better.

I have seen plenty of bland coins in holders or with CAC stickers.

No one has said otherwise. This point doesn't need to be made as it is a counter to a point no one has made.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@VanHalen said:

so will they sticker a PCGS/NGC details coin if it is an approved type of details?

• Options
    edited June 16, 2024 7:00AM

@davewesen said:

so will they sticker a PCGS/NGC details coin if it is an approved type of details?

Sorry, I do not know.

Hopefully, someone else will post the answer. :)

Edited to Add:
    I just conducted a QUICK search on GC.
    There are over 1K "details" coins currently available (i.e., auction and 'buy now').
    Found several 'details' coins holdered by CACG, but 0 stickered by CAC.
    Based on this, I am going to speculate that the answer to your question is no.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

@asheland said:

@Relaxn said:
    I believe CAC stickering has become a moving target... I believe they have become very inconsistent with the stickering.
    I believe this is being done to drive collectors who want the stickers to put their coins into CaCG holders. Had a gorgeous 10$ Indian in a rattler not sticker as well as an old holder 10$. I did not believe they deserved stickering just because of the old holder but becauelse they are significantly under graded.

I have been a huge CAC fan but in the last 12 months feel like the stickering has become blatantly inconsistent.

Just my random 2 cents... aka
    Frustrated in Texas

I have seen that also, I’ve kept it to myself, but you completely nailed it. I have seen it both ways, nice stuff being rejected for sticker and then stuff that’s just awful with the sticker, it’s drastically changed my opinion lately.

Often a coin a collector thinks is PQ for the grade is actually silently net graded for a problem the collector simply can’t recognize

Or is willing to overlook...

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Confession: I paid 1.25 to 1.30 CAC CPG MV just to have a few early on (advertising display) but down the line unless really have to have / super deal been there done that for that particular inventory class.

As far as somebody else acquiring them it’s their money, hobby; have fun.

Please update your will it CAC / CACG stuff I like seeing how that turns out. Keep them coming. It gives me something more positive than the doomsday blogs on u tube. Do you have a WW3 plan? Very bullish on bullion right now.

IMO, "money" is eclipsing "hobby" very quickly.
    "SEEMS" that people are trying to "collect" ....status... via coins. :/

• Options

@davewesen said:

@MetroD said:

@VanHalen said:

The Devil is in the Details! >:)

No, CAC does not sticker coins that are not straight-graded. o:)

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would believe numbers 1-4, not #5. You don't get what you got by being lazy
    Nice! :)

• Options

@VanHalen said:

@davewesen said:

@MetroD said:

@VanHalen said:

Is it written anywhere?
    I'd sure like to know if that's true
    Also
    What is PCGS/NGC approved type of details?
    I know of no such list

• Options

@alaura22 said:

Is it written anywhere?
    Also
    I know of no such list

PCGS: Holder vs. No Holder (click "No Grades");
    NGC: Details Grading, and Reasons to NOT Encapsulate.

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@VanHalen said:

@davewesen said:

@MetroD said:

@VanHalen said:

Is it written anywhere?
    Also
    I know of no such list

From CAC's website: If you wish to see whether your third-party graded coin meets or exceeds CAC standards for the grade, submit to our stickering service.

A third-party graded coin must be in a straight-graded holder. Details holders from PCGS and NGC are not graded, they have been authenticated as genuine and may have an estimated "details" grade on the label.

• Options

@VanHalen said:

@alaura22 said:

@VanHalen said:

@davewesen said:

@MetroD said:

@VanHalen said:

Is it written anywhere?
    Also
    I know of no such list

From CAC's website: If you wish to see whether your third-party graded coin meets or exceeds CAC standards for the grade, submit to our stickering service.

A third-party graded coin must be in a straight-graded holder. Details holders from PCGS and NGC are not graded, they have been authenticated as genuine and may have an estimated "details" grade on the label.

Thank you

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file