Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Quick CACG Market Thought

124»

Comments

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2024 4:58AM

I know one guy going the other way - cracking CACG here and there get higher grade somewhere else / make money.

Not something I would do, spend money on - he’s real sharp hobbyist in that area, just picking off in and outs he sees.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    I know one guy going the other way - cracking CACG get higher grade somewhere else. One of his angles making money,

I’m sure that’s happening due to the presumably more conservative nature of CACG grading. I would think more than one person is doing that. However, I’ve also heard that the CACG holders are super difficult to crack open, so one does risk damaging the coin.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2024 4:44AM

Have never tried crack one of CACG holders but believe that would be a difficult operation. Perhaps they (experienced modeler) practiced on the sample slabs then arrived at right mix surgical tools (vice, saber saw, modelers hammer, pliers) / procedure in fine tuning that skill set.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

By now, I have seen hundreds and hundreds of CACG coins, and certainly thousands of certified/stickered coins. As much as most commenters seem intent on being in one camp or another, I feel like CACG grading is scarcely different from that of NGC or PCGS.

That being said, I own zero CACG coins right now, but not because of bias against them - I just haven't happened to land on a coin that I need in one of their holders.

CACG coins are just like CAC-stickered coins. That means problems on coins that would make them fail at CAC don't make it into CACG.............. I have seen 100s and 100s of all, seen a lotta dogs in other TPG holders, but very rarely when they are stickered.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Having 3 out of 5 downgraded would not be for me. Can’t make any money that way. Can you specify minimum grade on form with them? Even then increase in MV vs grading costs can be iffy (positive result). Our offense based on positive yardage not pitch back then lose yardage.

So every play is a QB sneak...

• Options
    edited June 30, 2024 10:03AM

Nope - West Coast offense lol

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2024 12:53PM

@winesteven said:

@Cougar1978 said:
    I know one guy going the other way - cracking CACG get higher grade somewhere else. One of his angles making money,

I’m sure that’s happening due to the presumably more conservative nature of CACG grading. I would think more than one person is doing that. However, I’ve also heard that the CACG holders are super difficult to crack open, so one does risk damaging the coin.

The one CACG coin I cracked out was actually pretty easy. I liked how the holder stayed intact as I separated the front and back, but perhaps it's all in the method. But really, no more or less effort that PCGS or NGC holder.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

@winesteven said:

@Cougar1978 said:

The one CACG coin I cracked out was actually pretty easy. I liked how the holder stayed intact as I separated the front and back, but perhaps it's all in the method. But really, no more or less effort that PCGS or NGC holder.

For those that do crack out coins (not me), that’s good news. The little I had heard was contrary to that, but again, a limited sample. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 450 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't met a slab yet that can survive the vice method.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:
    I haven't met a slab yet that can survive the vice method.

https://www.instructables.com/NiChrome-Hot-Wire-Cutter-for-Acrylic/

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@PerryHall said:
    I think the point that @FrankH is making is that expensive trophy coins aren't immune to market corrections.

Very few Trophy Coins appreciate at even competitive levels to stocks over the long term. For many of the ones I've time-tested, it seems to be about 5-7%. The recent Bass 1850 Proof Liberty Head DE was the exception as it was purchased before the price of gold rose in the 1970's at about $2,000. It returned about 12% a year until it was recently sold.

When applying for a coin asset based line of credit for my bank, I showed them actual prices realized that proved the ultra rarities did exceptionally well over time vs a diverse stock index. I like to think of it as they will do as well as the 2nd most successful investor who desires them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file