Home U.S. Coin Forum

My addiction to Liberty Seated Quarters

CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently completed a 108 coin set of Liberty Seated Quarters after falling just short of completion twice in the last ten years. I checked my files, and I was stunned to find out that I've owned 441 different certified LSQs in the last ten years! Thought it would be fun to post some of the coins I've owned one year at a time starting with 1838. I'll go in order and try to post daily. Please post your examples.

Doug

PCGS AU58 CAC - purchased from GFRC in 2017.

PCGS VF25 CAC - purchased from GFRC in 2019.

PCGS XF45 CAC - purchased from Liz Coggan in 2022, the current coin in my set.

Wish I still owned the AU58!

«1345

Comments

  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Crepidodera I like the VF25 CAC. There's a lot to like in all of those coins.

    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This should be an exciting thread!

    Beautiful, scarce coins!

    “I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

    My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

    https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

  • scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Great idea! How did you pick your current set coins while selling the previous ones? Or did you restart the series every time?

  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Crepidodera said:
    I recently completed a 108 coin set of Liberty Seated Quarters after falling just short of completion twice in the last ten years. I checked my files, and I was stunned to find out that I've owned 441 different certified LSQs in the last ten years!

    I had to comment here ... counting for vacations, that's almost one per week ... for 10 years!

    B):p:D

    The first step is admitting ...

    Congratulations!!


    “We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

    Todd - BHNC #242
  • CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @scubafuel said:
    Great idea! How did you pick your current set coins while selling the previous ones? Or did you restart the series every time?

    I sold my two previous sets in 2018 and 2020 and started over. When I started over, I would repurchase coins that I had sold to friends as a start, usually 25-30 coins.

  • CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pursuitofliberty said:

    @Crepidodera said:
    I recently completed a 108 coin set of Liberty Seated Quarters after falling just short of completion twice in the last ten years. I checked my files, and I was stunned to find out that I've owned 441 different certified LSQs in the last ten years!

    I had to comment here ... counting for vacations, that's almost one per week ... for 10 years!

    B):p:D

    The first step is admitting ...

    Congratulations!!

    Yes, I'll admit my obsession, I'm impatient and probably suffer from OCD.

    Doug

  • CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice @Mr_Spud!

  • CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Don, that's an awesome 1873-CC

  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I see alot of crusty coin in here, wtg all 👍

  • semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Crepidodera said:
    I recently completed a 108 coin set of Liberty Seated Quarters after falling just short of completion twice in the last ten years. I checked my files, and I was stunned to find out that I've owned 441 different certified LSQs in the last ten years! Thought it would be fun to post some of the coins I've owned one year at a time starting with 1838. I'll go in order and try to post daily. Please post your examples.

    Doug

    PCGS AU58 CAC - purchased from GFRC in 2017.

    PCGS VF25 CAC - purchased from GFRC in 2019.

    PCGS XF45 CAC - purchased from Liz Coggan in 2022, the current coin in my set.

    Wish I still owned the AU58!

    Lovely coins!

  • semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @rhedden said:
    1838 PCGS AU53 CAC purchased from GFRC.

    Very choice and attractive!

  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Wonderful series with images that really capture the difficulty in finding SLQ dates with the look.

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice assortment Eddi!

  • CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice Freddie!

  • winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2024 8:06PM

    Hey everyone who has not caught on. @Crepidodera is too nice so say anything, so I’ll take the heat by being the bad guy:

    HIS INTENTION IS TO GO SLOWER, WITH HIM POSTING HIS WONDERFUL COLLECTION, PAST AND PRESENT, ONE YEAR AT A TIME. WE THEN POST OUR COINS ONLY FOR THOSE SAME YEARS AS HE DOES.

    Thank you. Please hold your tomatoes, lol.

    As of now, 1838, 1839, and 1840.

    Steve

    A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

    My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The only 39 I've ever owned. VF35.

  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2024 10:59PM

    My current 40-o no drapery. VF35

  • CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Great coins everyone! @rhedden, I'm sure there will be many more former coins posted.

  • CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭✭

    1841 quarters today.

    PCGS VF30 - purchased in 2014 from Hallmark Rare Coins.

    PCGS XF40 CAC - originally purchased from Brian Greer in 2018, repurchased from GFRC IN 2021. An under-rated date.

    PCGS VF35 CAC - purchased from GFRC in 2015.

    PCGS XF40 CAC - purchased from GFRC in 2019.

    PCGS XF45 CAC - purchased from GFRC in 2023, the current coin in my set. I like both of my old coins better than this example.

    Please post your 1841 quarters.

    Doug

  • fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2024 8:28AM

    Some 1840's Philadelphia quarters are sleepers and tough to find nice except maybe 1843, 1845, 1847. Surprisingly 1848 feels quite available however, 10-15 years ago it was not.

    Here is my p62 DDR. It could easily been graded 58 with a little knee friction.

    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice 1841 quarter Freddie!

  • fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Gee you almost had a grading set going there.

    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • EddiEddi Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @rhedden, you mention that "1840-O ND - the single most common "O" mint Seated 25c".
    This is interesting. I always thought it is the other way around, i.e, the 1840-O With Drapery is the most common.

  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Eddi, it may be that my brain has lumped the two 1840-o issues together. PCGS population report shows 348 pieces in all grades for the ND and 181 pieces for the WD, but it's hard to account for uncertified examples in low grade. One thing for certain is that you will find more 1840-O Seated quarters listed on Ebay on any given day than any other "O" mint. There are scads of them available in low grade and/or with problems.

  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @rhedden said:
    @Eddi, it may be that my brain has lumped the two 1840-o issues together. PCGS population report shows 348 pieces in all grades for the ND and 181 pieces for the WD, but it's hard to account for uncertified examples in low grade. One thing for certain is that you will find more 1840-O Seated quarters listed on Ebay on any given day than any other "O" mint. There are scads of them available in low grade and/or with problems.

    I agree, the 40-o ND is far more common the the WD.

  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I need to catch up.

  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Some more.

  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Caught up. Some are decent looking, some are ugly. All are lighter.


  • marmacmarmac Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

    I've only got 2 holdered examples, seeing all these great coins raises a little regret that I sold a few memorable coins off.


  • retirednowretirednow Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice trend ... looking forward to seeing all your other years.

  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

    VF30

    VF35

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file