Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

WHO IS BUYING THE 2024 MORGAN & PEACE SILVER DOLLARS

HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 17, 2023 12:59PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Now that all the 2023s have been released who is looking forward to acquiring the 2024s ? For me I believe 2023 is a one and done. Bought one of each in PCGS 70 for my collection and two of each of the uncirculated and proof for the grandkids. They are beautiful coins but I don't plan to buy them annually. I think they should lower the mintages next year to better equal what the demand will be as I believe the flippers will mostly pass them by.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

Comments

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2023 9:09PM

You might very well be correct, but recent history suggests they will take the opposite approach. Hell, the simple fact that these were not a one and done in 2021 suggests they are taking the opposite approach. The fact that they went beyond original finishes, to DCAM proofs and reverse proofs in 2023, suggests they will take the opposite approach.

They are not going to risk a fiasco like 2021, where they under produce, have a bunch of pissed off customers, and create a windfall for a fortunate few in the secondary market. The new model includes taking care of the Big Boys, letting them make their money through bulk rate TPG submissions, and also satisfying retail demand through subscriptions. To the extent that demand exists.

They made their best guess as to demand, and came pretty close this year, notwithstanding the pooh-poohing here ahead of each and every release. 4 out of 6 coins sold out, with total sales exceeding 1.5 million coins at around 4x intrinsic value.

Expect proof mintages to be reduced, because they did not sell out at 400K. Expect the other mintages to remain the same, because they did sell out. If you are correct and there is less demand next year, that will be reflected in failures to sell out, and reduced mintages in future years. Don't expect them to go back to 2021 on spec, because it's not going to happen.

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

I like them and will continue buying.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭

I plan on collecting all of the varieties in 2024. I will probably buy 3 of each variety.

• Options

@NJCoin said:

Expect proof mintages to be reduced, because they did not sell out at 400K. Expect the other mintages to remain the same, because they did sell out. If you are correct and there is less demand next year, that will be reflected in failures to sell out, and reduced mintages in future years. Don't expect them to go back to 2021 on spec, because it's not going to happen.

Well looking at the mint website, it lists the mintage for 2024 Morgan and Peace proof to be 300,000, which is up from 275,000 for 2023. The reverse proof mintage for 2024 is 262,500, which is up from 250,000 in 2023. They do not list the 2024 mintage on the 2024 Unc. at this time.

• Options

Corrections on 2024 mintages
    Proofs are 300,000 down from 400,000. Uncirculated stays at 275,000 and the reverse proofs are up to 262,500 from 250,000. That is a strange number but as always subject to change by next year.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

@HATTRICK said:
    Corrections on 2024 mintages
    Proofs are 300,000 down from 400,000. Uncirculated stays at 275,000 and the reverse proofs are up to 262,500 from 250,000. That is a strange number but as always subject to change by next year.

This shows they are doing EXACTLY what I said they would -- matching mintage to perceived demand.

RPs were the easiest sell out, so they are bumping up the mintage a little. So much for everyone who predicted they would languish after all the subscription cancellations.

The problem here is everyone is looking at everything through the prism of a quick, easy, lucrative flip. That's not this. And, if the Mint has anything to say about it, that is probably gone forever.

Some people actually want to own the coins, or are happy with very modest flips. That's who the Mint is now catering to.

• Options

I received my PGCS 70 Reverse Proof set and it was flawless and beautiful.
    Not like so many slabbed 70 coins with obvious defects visible to the naked eye. For that reason I will no longer gamble on getting a 70 coin in a 70 slab. I will pause buying until something very special is issued.

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:
    I received my PGCS 70 Reverse Proof set and it was flawless and beautiful.
    Not like so many slabbed 70 coins with obvious defects visible to the naked eye. For that reason I will no longer gamble on getting a 70 coin in a 70 slab. I will pause buying until something very special is issued.

You are 100% correct on “gambling on getting a 70 in a 70 holder”; both major grading services are loose on the 70s early on and tighten up later. This has been the case for many years. Personally I have returned two 70s (modern gold) to the sellers for exchange due to obvious “hits” in the obverse fields that should have never passed for a 70.
    First experience with the newest service out there; I have not had the experience of 69s passing in 70 holders. They seem to be more strict.

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should really get some dies sent over to the old Carson City Mint. Or at least switch up which facility is producing these each year.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not me.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Methinks a glut is nigh.

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2023 11:40AM

Hmmmm...

o:)

BST references available on request

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2023 12:52PM

The idea of a modern revival of these series is a good thing and should continue. It should be expanded to more series.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    Not me.

+1

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not I

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I'll keep buying them. After the fiasco of 2021 (yes, I did get three of each, but it was annoying to work through the crashed Mint website), they did an excellent job of adjusting their quantities, and allowing subscriptions, so that the only pain is paying for them. But that's a small portion of what I have spent on coins this year, so I'm not particularly bothered by it. And I think they're pretty.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me it will be the 2023 coins and done. I wanted them for type, and I also wanted to have the Peace Dollar design fully struck.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I like the design and the quality of the coins. I am still missing the 2021 CC raw and will buy next year. I plan on getting about 3 of each design going forward.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got all of the Peace Dollars this year, and only the reverse proof Morgan.
    Not sure on the 24’s to be honest.

Initially not planning to get them, but maybe I’ll change my mind.

I hadn’t planned on the 23’s but ended up getting them.

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

I’m in. I have all the 2021’s, the 2023’s and I have subscribed to one each for the coming years. I believe this is the beginning of a long term series and we have the opportunity to get in on the ground floor.

You probably won’t be able to quit your job and live on flips, but you can assemble a nice affordable collection and have them all.

• Options
    SametsSamets Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

I think I'm in. Hopefully our hosts will start a registry set so a few thousand of us can be all tied for the 1st place!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't gotten any since inception, aside from picking up a couple of them for a customer who was looking.
    Of course, I picked them up on eBay, where I can buy four old silver dollars for the price of one new silver dollar from the mint. :confused:

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Haven't gotten any since inception, aside from picking up a couple of them for a customer who was looking.
    Of course, I picked them up on eBay, where I can buy four old silver dollars for the price of one new silver dollar from the mint. :confused:

Careful..... lest you offend HoneyBucket.

Hmmmmmm...

😉

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not buy the 2021 or 2023 issues and will not buy the 2024 issues. I do not own any Morgan or Peace Dollars, I collect other coins, United States and Canada.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erscolo said:
    I did not buy the 2021 or 2023 issues and will not buy the 2024 issues. I do not own any Morgan or Peace Dollars, I collect other coins, United States and Canada.

I've got a few Morgan (1878-1921) and Peace (1921-1935) dollars and calling it good. No plans to buy any fancy-priced commemorative dollar pieces in 2024.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 244 ✭✭✭

I will get them. May be low mintage that everyone is looking for since most seem to be out. I get them for my collection and not to flip, don't get anything else from the mint normally.

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the 2023 dates, but I'm not buying anymore.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2023 11:23AM

Do not even dream of flipping the 2024 reverse proofs. Did not sell out this year and they are minting an additional 12,500 sets for big guys in 2024. The mint will milk this cash cow. :D

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭

If the 23’s drop significantly in value by next year , I definitely won’t buy any 24s from the Mint. May purchase 70s when they also drop in price to keep the series complete.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny this should come up, today I cancelled all my Morgan & Peace Dollar subscriptions.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not I. I prefer the originals. Can't ponder the roads the new ones traveled,mint to your house. Unlike the older ones there is more history to the original versions.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not had any interest in nor have I bought a single one of the "new" morgan dollars. I will be following that same line and will have no interest in buying a 2024 version.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

I liked this set for an example of each finish for a type set. Now that I have them, there is no interest from me to have any more.

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

No more for me. I purchase types only in my old age.

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2023 4:35PM

@HATTRICK said:
    Do not even dream of flipping the 2024 reverse proofs. Did not sell out this year and they are minting an additional 12,500 sets for big guys in 2024. The mint will milk this cash cow. :D

What do you mean "did not sell out this year"? I am on the website right now, and they are not available for purchase. The only 2023s currently available are the regular proofs.

They are making an additional 12,500 because they expect to sell them, not because they expect to add to the pile of unsold inventory. I get that reported sales are less than 250K, and I don't know why, but they are indeed sold out, if sold out means they are not available for sale from the Mint at original issue price.

• Options
    edited December 27, 2023 2:37PM

Depends on how you see it. To me a sell out is when the maximum published mintage is sold. The mint not having them available for sale is not a sell out to me. The mint is not even calling it sold out.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Want load up on some.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2023 8:48AM

@HATTRICK said:
    Depends on how you see it. To me a sell out is when the maximum published mintage is sold. The mint not having them available for sale is not a sale out to me. The mint is not even calling it sold out.

Fair enough, but to me, a sell out is when something is no longer available for sale, with no promise that it ever will be again. People are speculating as to the fate of the returns, but there were a lot of them, and a lot of time has passed with them not being made available.

Why so many returns, and why have they fallen off the face of the earth? There might be something we don't know that will either cause them to be destroyed, or returned where they came from without ever being made available to the public. Maybe some kind of accounting or inventory glitch, and they will magically just be added back to the count some week.

Yes, "sold out" has a very specific meaning to the Mint, and months typically pass before unavailable items are officially designated as "sold out" by the Mint. The 2024s might very well turn out to be terrible flips (that is certainly the Mint's plan with all new releases now), but saying the 2023s did not sell out when they have been difficult to obtain from the Mint since shortly after noon on the day after they went on sale is just not an accurate representation of demand relative to available supply.

If it does turn out that they only sell 200K 2023s, you can rest assured people will get excited as that fact drives secondary market prices higher, and that will only feed demand for 2024s as people hope for a repeat.

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

I’ll buy a set already slabbed. No more gambling with buying from the mint for me.

• Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭

I will continue my single subscription. I have the complete set so far plus a few Carr's. They are pretty.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this year and was not overwhelmed, will not continue.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are likened to 1923 Peace
    No one wants them
    I shouldn’t have bought 2023 = 1922

No is my answer.

• Options
    edited January 3, 2024 7:19PM

Based on my limited knowledge it appears to me that the secondary market on the 2023s is dying a slow death.
    Please post any info you have on the how they are holding up price wise at this point.
    actual sales not "pipe dreams" please.

I see that a forum member has posted on his buy/sale thread "CLOSED DUE TO NO INTEREST"

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m still undecided on the 2024 Proof peace but all the others I’m a no. I like the peace proof the most and that would be the one I may continue. I never collected Morgan’s so no real interest going forward.

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

I'm done with these.

• Options
    mlittlemlittle Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

I probably will buy the 2024 uncirculated Morgan and Peace dollars but most likely will not buy the proof, rp. Got all six for 2023 and that will be enough.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2024 12:41AM

Somebody else will be buying.
    Not me.

If I was going to spend any money on coins, it would be for older- original Morgans and Peace dollars, not this new stuff that has no unique characteristics.
    I purchased one of the 2021’s and that was it for these.

Nothing against them. They’re very well done. Just not my thing.
    I like old stuff.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

I’m out, with so many millions of the originals out there, I’d rather have one with some character marks.

If I want modern bullion it has to be much closer to spot pricing. Lots of beautiful stuff out there with very little premium.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file