Home Sports Talk

How is OJ Simpson not the greatest back ever ?

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:
    can we just say that not only was Jim Brown the greatest RB of all time,

Anyone can say it just like I will say Sanders is the best ever

BRONKO NARGURSKI!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@Darin said:
    1. Jim Brown
    2. Barry Sanders

Brown averaged 104 rushing yards per game over his career and Sanders if you round it off averaged 100.
    Those are the only two guys who could have put the all time rushing yards record out of reach if they didn’t retire at 30 years old.

IF Marion Motley was given the ball as many times as Emmett Smith, he would have had 25,131 yards!

GOAT

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barry Sanders picked up rushing yards in the same manner that Eddie Gaedel picked up walks. Give a dog the football and he'd rush for 1,000 yards a game.

😉

@dallasactuary said:
    I do think it's impossible, since it's a team game. The Browns were a very good team, top to bottom, and I don't see how you can dive down and figure out how much that helped Jim Brown. Had he played for the Cardinals instead of the Browns, what would his stats have been? I'm pretty sure they'd have been impressive, but I don't know if he'd still look like the GOAT or not.

All that said, if you made me pick a GOAT RB, I would pick Brown.

Jim Brown was unstoppable! He would have been just as good with the Cardinals!

That being said.......he was no Marion Motley.

edited October 20, 2023 8:18AM

I've got Payton at #2, even though in my opinion he was heavily on the juice, which in my opinion may have led to his untimely death.

Don't forget that Payton was a good receiver as well coming out of the backfield.

The #3 at RB for me is a really tough call. I've got a blanket over around six or seven names.

@4for4 said:
    We had 11 guys on defense make the Pro Bowl that year 😂

OJ made them look like high schoolers. 😂

Sorry 😠
    Rams gave up fewer points then us, but no one else😎

The reality is that not only did OJ Simpson have the greatest single season rushing, he also has the greatest single game rushing.

Where do you get your facts?

Simpson is #6 in single game rushing yards.

He's #8 in season yardage.
    Adrian Peterson had more yards and equaled OJ's yards per carry in 2012.

This goes a long way into me understanding your thoughts on Bradshaw.😁

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I've got Payton at #2, even though in my opinion he was heavily on the juice, which in my opinion may have led to his untimely death.

Don't forget that Payton was a good receiver as well coming out of the backfield.

The #3 at RB for me is a really tough call. I've got a blanket over around six or seven names.

I have never heard this about Payton. It would not surprise me in the least. Do you have any sources about payton on PED?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• 4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2023 9:40AM

@JoeBanzai said:

@4for4 said:

Sorry 😠

The reality is that not only did OJ Simpson have the greatest single season rushing, he also has the greatest single game rushing.

14 game season.

Single game against Pittsburghs defense in Pittsburgh in the 70’s.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

BRONKO NARGURSKI!

@4for4 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@4for4 said:

Sorry 😠

14 game season.

>
    >
    AP had more yards and the same average per rush. I would say his year was better.
    >

Single game against Pittsburghs defense in Pittsburgh in the 70’s.

>
    >
    Hmmmmmm, might have to give him extra credit for doing it against the Steelers. Don't know if that elevates him to #1, but that's a fair point.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon I made a comment I deleted yesterday. I'm sure some people saw it. I respect you for saying something where you see fit. I've called out people here before. I've also been called out.

If we only rooted for teams with squeaky clean athletes, we would have no teams to root for.

There's a lot of Jim Brown love. He was known to be a very bad person. Etc.

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

I have never heard this about Payton. It would not surprise me in the least. Do you have any sources about payton on PED?

Nope just my opinion, the way I've seen videos of him doing "super-human" type practices and performances which in my opinion could only be done using the juice.

"died of cancer that was a complication of his rare liver disease." Depending on the individual's DNA, the juice eats away and destroys the body in all sorts of various ways. Certainly rotting out the liver is one of those ways.

Combining all that, and again, in my opinion, I have no doubt that Payton was a juicer and quite a bad one. All that being said, I judge him at #2 based on what he did on the field.

Probably he's still a top 10 or 20 RB without the juice. With the juice he's #2. That's the Faustian pact a player makes when doing those injections. Greatness in return for a shorter life span, in some cases, much shorter.

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

Nope just my opinion, the way I've seen videos of him doing "super-human" type practices and performances which in my opinion could only be done using the juice.

"died of cancer that was a complication of his rare liver disease." Depending on the individual's DNA, the juice eats away and destroys the body in all sorts of various ways. Certainly rotting out the liver is one of those ways.

Combining all that, and again, in my opinion, I have no doubt that Payton was a juicer and quite a bad one. All that being said, I judge him at #2 based on what he did on the field.

Probably he's still a top 10 or 20 RB without the juice. With the juice he's #2. That's the Faustian pact a player makes when doing those injections. Greatness in return for a shorter life span, in some cases, much shorter.

Interesting take. I cant say i can disagree with it. I think many people would be shocked if we really knew what went on with our favorite athletes.

I have had similar thoughts about other athletes and what it must have taken to accomplish many of their feats.

@thisistheshow said:
    @doubledragon I made a comment I deleted yesterday. I'm sure some people saw it. I respect you for saying something where you see fit. I've called out people here before. I've also been called out.

If we only rooted for teams with squeaky clean athletes, we would have no teams to root for.

You're right about Brown. The details are out there, so I'm not going to regurgitate it. Suffice to say that Brown has had a number of problems involving his behavior. Some of it towards women which to me is unacceptable.

Two guys get in a fight, hey that's male business - LOL. However a guy laying a hand on a woman with violence is never acceptable.

Brown did a lot of good things though which shouldn't be ignored. Such as being a champion for inner city kids to get a good education, stay off drugs, etc.

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

Interesting take. I cant say i can disagree with it. I think many people would be shocked if we really knew what went on with our favorite athletes.

I have had similar thoughts about other athletes and what it must have taken to accomplish many of their feats.

Jim Bouton's book "Ball Four" exposed at least some of it. I'm not sure if it was the first book to do that, but it probably was the widest read. Particularly about the use of amphetamines on those famous Yankees teams when he was a pitcher there in the 1960's.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think OJ was the best runner of all time; but he was great. Also, Marcia Clark was the worst prosecutor of all time. Kind of like a reverse GOAT. She completely messed the whole trial up. She was not qualified to be the lead prosecutor and basically an embarrassment to the legal system. The public has actually been nice to her over the years buying her books and stuff. Just awful.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭

How about Adrian Pederson in his prime?

@Mickey71 said:
    How about Adrian Pederson in his prime?

I thought he had a shot when I was watching him with the Vikings, two knee injuries and missing most of a season when he hit his kid too hard eliminated the possibility.
    IF he had played an uninterrupted career, he would have had a chance. He averaged 4.9 ypc and 95 ypg while in Minnesota.
    Not a good blocker and pass catcher, but when he got in the open, he was GONE!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not give Simpson credit for anything, period.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

I think it is ok to separate the man from the athlete in discussions like this. I have read stuff about jim brown and everyone knows all about OJ. These guys were great athletes, but i think for us, that is where it should end. On field stuff only

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2023 5:58PM

@thisistheshow said:

Thanks buddy, but Jim Brown is a saint compared to OJ Simpson, this is something on another level, I suspect most people here haven't seen the crime scene photos up close in detail, if you have then you would understand why I get so pissed when people mention OJ and "great" in the same sentence. What he did to Ron and Nicole is pure evil, I don't care if Nicole cheated on OJ, there's no justifying it. You look at those photos up close, you'll never see OJ as great in any way period, he deserves lethal injection for what he did to them. I can't do this anymore buddy, I'm not going to be talked to like a child about the forum rules, and I can't be a part of a forum where people sit here and call OJ great and talk about his wonderful accomplishments on the field, this is something I really take personal, I've followed this case from the very beginning when OJ got off the hook and Johnny Cochrane looked over at Kim Goldman and said "gotcha" right after the verdict was read, as she sat there in tears, all the way to when OJ got busted for robbery in Las Vegas and even though his case in Las Vegas had nothing to do with the murders, the Goldmans still showed up in court everyday in Vegas, 14 years after the murders, because they needed some kind of justice for Ron, to see his killer put away behind bars. This thread truly pisses me off, you look at those crime scene photos up close in detail, how OJ trapped Ron in that little area, went into a frenzy, and stabbed him over and over, 20 times, and Nicole laying there in a curled up after OJ stabbed her over and over and then cut her throat, blood everywhere, I'm disgusted that anyone could think that OJ is even human. I'm sorry buddy, but I got to leave this place for a while, can't be around this place right now, I don't know when I'll be back, take care.

@craig44 said:
    I think it is ok to separate the man from the athlete in discussions like this. I have read stuff about jim brown and everyone knows all about OJ. These guys were great athletes, but i think for us, that is where it should end. On field stuff only

I would like to take this opportunity to agree with you, we have been butting heads a bit lately.

I've heard rumors about Brown and of course we all know about OJ.

In discussing their accomplishments, I think we can set aside their off field issues.

I make the exception with Pete Rose and the juicers though, they're actions damaged their respective sports during their playing days.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

missing most of a season when he hit his kid too hard eliminated the possibility.

He beat his child with a weapon.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@craig44 said:
    OJ was a great RB though...

His 1973 MIGHT be the greatest single season ever by a RB.

2000 yards in 14 games.

The year that he put up 2053, Barry had exactly 2000 yards over the last 14 games.

You know, @4for4, aka @Goldenage, I have a real problem with being scolded like a child about the forum rules, you start a thread about a double murderer that got off the hook and expect people not to get upset about it, let's talk about his glorious achievements on the field and separate that from the fact that he damn near decapitated his wife and savagely butchered a young man in the prime of his life. You want to know why this thread upsets me so much? Just go over to Google images, type in "Ron Goldman crime scene", and have a long look at what you're great running back did to two human beings. Screw OJ, screw this thread, and screw this forum, I'm done here.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2023 4:25AM

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

BRONKO NARGURSKI!

Where you going with the Bronco Nagurski in caps lol

You posted it twice lol

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭

Jim Brown may or may not have had anger issues that lead to some negativity. However, he later in life would go into prisons to talk to troubled men. What a great role model.

On Walter .......he was a work out fanatic. I seriously doubt he ever did anything unhealthy.

Of all the backs in the NFL he was clearly the best race card driver.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

I just looked and saw that a PSA 10 autographed OJ Simpson rookie card recently sold for $999.

The 1962 Topps set "Civil War News" is quite popular among card collectors and worth good coin in high grade. Some of those cards depict very bloody war scenes.

PCGS graded coins from the Nazi era can also fetch high prices, and we all know what the Third Reich was all about.

The fact is that for some inexplicable reason, human beings are fascinated by notorious figures in history. May not matter how heinous was their behavior, and OJ is no exception.

A number of boxers are infamously known for their violent behavior outside the boxing ring. Those such as Jake LaMotta, Mike Tyson, etc, have had well publicized incidents. Yet collectors enjoy collecting their cards, photos, and memorabilia.

War collectibles are very popular. Items such as genuine Civil War swords can be extremely valuable and we all know what swords were used for. Hint, it wasn't for roasting hot dogs on an open fire, although thinking about it, perhaps they were used for that purpose as well - LOL

edited October 21, 2023 7:09AM

@doubledragon said:
    You know, @4for4, aka @Goldenage, I have a real problem with being scolded like a child about the forum rules, you start a thread about a double murderer that got off the hook and expect people not to get upset about it, let's talk about his glorious achievements on the field and separate that from the fact that he damn near decapitated his wife and savagely butchered a young man in the prime of his life. You want to know why this thread upsets me so much? Just go over to Google images, type in "Ron Goldman crime scene", and have a long look at what you're great running back did to two human beings. Screw OJ, screw this thread, and screw this forum, I'm done here.

I see you have a problem with following rules because you’re still not following them.

many are enjoying a good discussion here

Here’s your thread where somebody brought up Hitler and did you freak out on them ? No you didn’t. Yeah, OJ was SO much worse then Hitler.

Someone says Hitler can be the GOAT of fame in your thread and you say nothing. I say I don’t like OJ the person but keep it a sports related post and you bring in non sports input and lambast a guy who killed two people out of jealousy, yet you say absolutely nothing about a guy who killed millions with worse torture then OJ used. 🤔

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12900140#Comment_12900140

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

edited October 21, 2023 6:53AM

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

I would like to take this opportunity to agree with you, we have been butting heads a bit lately.

I've heard rumors about Brown and of course we all know about OJ.

In discussing their accomplishments, I think we can set aside their off field issues.

A voice of reason

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

@JoeBanzai said:

@Darin said:
    1. Jim Brown
    2. Barry Sanders

Brown averaged 104 rushing yards per game over his career and Sanders if you round it off averaged 100.
    Those are the only two guys who could have put the all time rushing yards record out of reach if they didn’t retire at 30 years old.

IF Marion Motley was given the ball as many times as Emmett Smith, he would have had 25,131 yards!

GOAT

I never saw Adrian Peterson that much. Except at OU I think. Heck of a back.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon i appreciate anyone who creates a stance and is willing to get fired up to defend it. yours truly just did it not too long ago. so i applaud you. but with that said, i'm quite certain that no one who has participated in this thread thinks much of O.J. as a human being. i personally think he does nothing more than steal oxygen at this point. but the moment i log in here i'm able to compartmentalize my thoughts with the intent of strictly talking sports. if we culled all of the reprobates from every sports discussion, truthfully we probably wouldn't have much to talk about. granted, very few -- if any -- have ever done what O.J. did, but there are a litany of extremely bad apples who play the sports that we discuss.

O.J. will get his. he was able to run in bodily form and miraculously evade accountability, but his soul will never be able to hide.

this forum never fires on all cylinders when you're not around. here's hoping you decide to stick and stay.

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

doubledragon . If you really like this forum you should not leave because you disagree with a topic or posting. I have not yet visited your Taylor Swift posting. I can't stand Taylor Swift so I stay away.
    I come here to get away from the stresses of life and try to relax by reading and sometimes posting. I know sometimes some
    of us get irritated on here and I'm sure we all have even irritated someone at one time or another on here.

I feel on this forum that the good very much outweighs the bad and negativity . Most all of the people on here are very good people and when you have so many different opinions on one topic there is bound to be trouble at one time or another.

For the good of this forum lets all try to get along just a little better.

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

BRONKO NARGURSKI!

You posted it twice lol

Attempt at humor. Failed.

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

BRONKO NARGURSKI!

You posted it twice lol

Attempt at humor. Failed.

I gave you an lol 😆

I love DD I've talked to him multiple times in the past about trying to get him to not walk away and it seemed to help but it's been a common theme for him to say he is leaving, like I said I love the guy but I'm starting to think that maybe the commitment to be here and post might be a nuisance to him and a little push is all he needs to walk away IDK

Again I love him and don't want him.to go but he is his own man.

Me personally I rarely get annoyed by anything here but there are stretches where I just don't feel it and a few days away helps, maybe DD will be back maybe not but I certainly hope he does what's best for him.

@doubledragon Love ya bro 🍻

DD - I hope you come back.

Tell ya what. With our avatar bet, when the Eagles beat the Cowboys on November 5th. if ya come back, I'll knock one hour off the time that you are required to use an Eagles avatar.

IE, the bet punishment begins shortly after the game is over and extends to kickoff time of the next Cowboys game. So let's say the next Cowboys game starts at 4:00. You would thus be allowed to change back to your own avatar at 3:00, one hour early.

Come on, you can't get an avatar bet deal, better than this anywhere on the planet.

@doubledragon said:

I hope you decide to continue hanging around here buddy. This place is definitely more fun when you are around!

@craig44 said:

@doubledragon said:

I hope you decide to continue hanging around here buddy. This place is definitely more fun when you are around!

I just checked the Vegas odds. The over/under on DD coming back is November 4th.

I just bet all i have, house, car, money, stocks, mutuals, etc, everything including my cat Fluffy, on the under.

Knowing DD, he will come back on November 5th just to aggravate me. 😆

@craig44 said:

@doubledragon said:

I agree DD. I’m stepping away for good. This is my final entry. No more 4for4. Come back and enjoy the forum. ☮️

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

I want to announce that if the Phillies get into the World Series and lose, I'm gonna need to step away from the forum for a few days.

This is because my computer screen will be thrown out the window, broken, laying on the driveway. My TV set will be broken from throwing my cellphone thru the screen. And my cellphone will be broken from throwing it thru the TV screen.

I won't be able to drive because my car steering wheel will be broken from banging on it when I got into the car to go to the store to buy a new computer screen, new TV set, and new cellphone, as well as plastic wrap to cover up the broken window in case it rains. 😐

@stevek said:
    I want to announce that if the Phillies get into the World Series and lose, I'm gonna need to step away from the forum for a few days.

This is because my computer screen will be thrown out the window, broken, laying on the driveway. My TV set will be broken from throwing my cellphone thru the screen. And my cellphone will be broken from throwing it thru the TV screen.

I won't be able to drive because my car steering wheel will be broken from banging on it when I got into the car to go to the store to buy a new computer screen, new TV set, and new cellphone, as well as plastic wrap to cover up the broken window in case it rains. 😐

I think this is a reasonable and measured response to ones team losing the big game/series.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a person does is the best evidence of who a person is.

OJ Simpson has a spot reserved for him in Hades.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

dude i did all this yesterday

so weird

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

@galaxy27 said:

@stevek said:

dude i did all this yesterday

so weird

Nobody ever said being a sports fan was easy.

I remember as a kid, sort of looking down on folks who instead enjoyed pursuits such as bird watching or tending their flower garden.

Now I admire them. 😆

@4for4 and @doubledragon

How about no drama and both of you guys just avoid each other and have fun posting sportstalk?

It's real easy to just not respond to someone who annoys you and don't click on their threads?

I'm sure there are posters that don't like me and ignore me, I couldn't care less and the last thing I'd do is just quit over it lol

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    it's not worth it. but it's easy to lose sight of it when you're talking sports. and especially if you're playing them. i think everyone here has participated in at least one sport since they've been alive, thus each and every one of us is firmly aware of competitive juices and what they're capable of.

i'll be the first to admit i lost sight of it with @1951WheatiesPremium not too long ago and ultimately said some regrettable things that he didn't deserve. so for that i publicly apologize. i was very much in the wrong, and everyone -- including him -- needs to read those words. but again, it happens. not excusing it, but it can and does happen when sports are involved.

for crying out loud, Rory McIlroy was on the verge of disemboweling Patrick Cantlay's caddie at the Ryder Cup a few weeks ago, and that's something i never thought i would witness in 5 lifetimes. they have since made amends and all is well now.

that should always be the case here, too.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@4for4 said:

@doubledragon said:

I see you have a problem with following rules because you’re still not following them.

Here’s your thread where somebody brought up Hitler and did you freak out on them ? No you didn’t. Yeah, OJ was SO much worse then Hitler.

Someone says Hitler can be the GOAT of fame in your thread and you say nothing. I say I don’t like OJ the person but keep it a sports related post and you bring in non sports input and lambast a guy who killed two people out of jealousy, yet you say absolutely nothing about a guy who killed millions with worse torture then OJ used. 🤔

First of all, still scolding me over the forum rules? How long did it take you to track that thread down? That thread was two years ago, I ignored a lot of crap back then, but as time goes on I have become more inclined to speak my mind, I am well aware of who Adolf Hitler is and what he did, I probably know more about the crimes and atrocities of Nazi Germany and the Third Reich than anyone here. The death camps, Auschwitz, Treblinka, Belzec, the gas chambers and crematoriums, the concentration camps, the death marches and burial pits, the final solution, I know how evil Hitler was. When I first saw this thread, I gave my opinion and was content to leave it at that, but you had to scold me about the forum rules and that added a bit of fuel to the fire. Look @4for4, I don't want you to leave this place and I hope that you'll stay, I know how much you enjoy the forum, I'm done arguing about this, I'm letting it go. I'm going to take a break from this place for a while everyone, I'll continue to run the forum NFL picks contest because I always finish a job, but I think it's best if I take a break for a while.

@doubledragon said:

@4for4 said:

@doubledragon said:

First of all, still scolding me over the forum rules? How long did it take you to track that thread down? That thread was two years ago, I ignored a lot of crap back then, but as time goes on I have become more inclined to speak my mind, I am well aware of who Adolf Hitler is and what he did, I probably know more about the crimes and atrocities of Nazi Germany and the Third Reich than anyone here. The death camps, Auschwitz, Treblinka, Belzec, the gas chambers and crematoriums, the concentration camps, the death marches and burial pits, the final solution, I know how evil Hitler was. When I first saw this thread, I gave my opinion and was content to leave it at that, but you had to scold me about the forum rules and that added a bit of fuel to the fire. Look @4for4, I don't want you to leave this place and I hope that you'll stay, I know how much you enjoy the forum, I'm done arguing about this, I'm letting it go. I'm going to take a break from this place for a while everyone, I'll continue to run the forum NFL picks contest because I always finish a job, but I think it's best if I take a break for a while.

Well, I am glad you are not done here DD. I also hope you dont stay away too long. It is football season, and that is the best season on ST!