Home Sports Talk

How is OJ Simpson not the greatest back ever ?

4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Yes, I don’t like OJ the human being. That said……….
1- He played for Buffalo and in Buffalo.
2. He averaged over 5 yards a carry for three seasons. One year he reached 6/carry.

He did not play on great teams I don’t believe.

Forum members on ignore
Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
daltex

Comments

• 4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Keep in mind that guys like Jim Brown, OJ, and Earl Campbell didn’t last long because the game was so brutal pre-1980.

Be careful when comparing.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take a look at the crime scene photos of what he did to Ron and Nicole, I could care less about OJ's worthless career or his worthless life for that matter.

edited October 19, 2023 3:30AM

@doubledragon said:
    Take a look at the crime scene photos of what he did to Ron and Nicole, I could care less about OJ's worthless career or his worthless life for that matter.

We all love you DD, but these are the forum rules listed above.

It’s a place to discuss teams, players, and games. Says nothing about personal lives, even though I’m not a fan of his either, but we should only discuss his games here.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

I believe OJ is like Barry Sanders in that he never played with a hall of Famer in Buffalo.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2023 4:01AM

OJ had 5 great seasons, that pretty much sums it up as to why he isn't

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was gonna take a stab at this question, but decided not to.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, I can talk about OJ's football career without the "other" stuff creeping in.

That said, the reason OJ is not spoken of as the greatest RB of all time is because Jim Brown is the best running back of all time.

Period.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

edited October 19, 2023 5:07AM

OJ was a great RB though...

His 1973 MIGHT be the greatest single season ever by a RB.

@craig44 said:
    Ok, I can talk about OJ's football career without the "other" stuff creeping in.

That said, the reason OJ is not spoken of as the greatest RB of all time is because Jim Brown is the best running back of all time.

Period.

I’d be crazy to debate this statement, but does it matter that Jim Brown ran behind 2 HOF linemen (should be 3) and OJ played behind a very average O line ?

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    OJ was a great RB though...

His 1973 MIGHT be the greatest single season ever by a RB.

2000 yards in 14 games.
    But, it always comes with a but. I watched his entire career. The Bills would be down 28-3 and they still would run Simpson. Padding stats or just no trust in Joe hang your head Ferguson.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:

Period.

I’d be crazy to debate this statement, but does it matter that Jim Brown ran behind 2 HOF linemen (should be 3) and OJ played behind a very average O line ?

possibly, but how do you quantify that? The only thing we can quantify is the statistics. if you look at the 2 players stat sheets, you will see unparalleled dominance by Brown every season he played. the only season he didnt lead the league in rushing was one where he had a injured arm and could not carry the ball as he normally did, so most of his rushes went to one side of the field.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭✭

IMO J Brown isn't even debatable. Joe Delamielleure HOF was on the OL. Also a few very good OL such as Reggie McKenzie.
    I was able to watch OJ's whole career. I rank Walter Payton much higher.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

@jay0791 said:
    IMO J Brown isn't even debatable. Joe Delamielleure HOF was on the OL. Also a few very good OL such as Reggie McKenzie.
    I was able to watch OJ's whole career. I rank Walter Payton much higher.

are you saying you rank Walter "much higher" than Jim Brown?

Woah, woah, woah.
    Hold the phone here !!!
    😇

In 1975 the Steelers were 12-2 and beat Dallas 21-17 in the Super Bowl thanks to Terry Bradshaw 😎

One of losses that year was AT HOME to Buffalo 30-21.

OJ Simpson had 227 yards on 28 carries. Please show me where Jim Brown or Sweetness ever did that against the leagues best defense.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

edited October 19, 2023 7:10AM

We had 11 guys on defense make the Pro Bowl that year 😂

OJ made them look like high schoolers. 😂

Sorry 😠
    Rams gave up fewer points then us, but no one else😎

The reality is that not only did OJ Simpson have the greatest single season rushing, he also has the greatest single game rushing.

No. I’m not saying he was the greatest ever. But I am saying he had greatness that has never been equaled.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

@4for4 said:
    We had 11 guys on defense make the Pro Bowl that year 😂

OJ made them look like high schoolers. 😂

Sorry 😠
    Rams gave up fewer points then us, but no one else😎

The reality is that not only did OJ Simpson have the greatest single season rushing, he also has the greatest single game rushing.

yes, he had a fantastic season and a great game. to say that one season and one game makes him better that Jim Brown is just not accurate.

Brown played 9 seasons, led his league in rushing 8 times. the 1 time he didnt he was playing through injury.
    I wont list all his black ink or awards, you can look them up yourself. lets just say his body of work is significantly more impressive than OJ's or Walters.

Simpson being better than Jim Brown doesn't cut it with me.

No matter how ya slice it, Jim Brown is better than OJ Simpson.

Those are some killer stats posted about OJ, but still do not equate to the greatness of Jim Brown.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Simpson being better than Jim Brown doesn't cut it with me.

I see...

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

@stevek said:

No matter how ya slice it, Jim Brown is better than OJ Simpson.

...what you...

@stevek said:

Those are some killer stats posted about OJ, but still do not equate to the greatness of Jim Brown.

...did there.

@galaxy27 said:

@stevek said:

...did there.

I was just trying to execute my points about Jim Brown the best I could.

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is impossible to identify a GOAT at any position in football, but in assembling the list of nominees Simpson absolutely has to be on it. Simpson had the same enormous disadvantage that Gale Sayers (also on the list) had; he played for a terrible team and he was the focus of the defense on virtually every play. What little success the Bills had was due primarily to Simpson.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

@stevek said:

...did there.

I was just trying to execute my points about Jim Brown the best I could.

I suggest you check with bronco2078
    if you wish to leave this thread.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought OJ finishing with the Bronco. ;)

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago I watched a lot of his highlights, as I never saw him play live. I remember thinking he was probably the best runner I had ever seen.

That being said, his career doesn't look to me like the GOAT career.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember an interview with Merlin Olsen, where he was asked "who was better? ".
    Merlin said he remembers a couple of plays against these two, one where he had Brown lined up perfectly and slammed into him full force, turning his entire side momentarily numb, he looked up, expecting to see Jim tackled, but what he saw was Brown 10 yards down field with a couple of guys trying to bring him down being dragged, seemingly effortlessly by Brown.
    He continued, saying he also remembered having O.J. trapped on the sideline once, no where for Simpson to go, and when he went to tackle him, he just wasn't there, again running down field but instead of dragging guys, making them miss.
    His answer was a question "how do you say who was better?".
    I would say for their careers Brown was quite a bit better.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I was gonna take a stab at this question, but decided not to.

That was a cutting comment. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

It makes me sick that we're even discussing this piece of garbage like he's a part of the human race, you start a thread about OJ Simpson and you better be prepared to deal with harsh responses, because he evokes that type of emotion. I've followed this very close over the years, I've read a book on the murders of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson, seen the crime scene photos, read the coroners report, listened to the families in interviews talk about what this has done to them on a day to day basis, about how the pain has ripped their hearts and souls apart, how they live with this shit every day. I don't care if OJ rushed for 100,000 yards, he will never be anything but a worthless piece of crap. What he did to two innocent people off the field is the only thing anyone should ever remember about him, because brutally murdering Ron and Nicole makes anything he did on the field irrelevant, it's what defines him as a person. I strongly suspect that if OJ had done this to someone you all loved or cared about, then you all wouldn't be so quick to gloat about how he's the greatest anything of all-time. And quite frankly the jokes being cracked in this thread make me sick. If the mods want to ban me then fine, go for it, hit me with your best shot, I'll survive without the forum.

Some sharp points have been made throughout this thread.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys are BAD.😁

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@doubledragon said:
    It makes me sick that we're even discussing this piece of garbage like he's a part of the human race, you start a thread about OJ Simpson and you better be prepared to deal with harsh responses, because he evokes that type of emotion. I've followed this very close over the years, I've read a book on the murders of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson, seen the crime scene photos, read the coroners report, listened to the families in interviews talk about what this has done to them on a day to day basis, about how the pain has ripped their hearts and souls apart, how they live with this shit every day. I don't care if OJ rushed for 100,000 yards, he will never be anything but a worthless piece of crap. What he did to two innocent people off the field is the only thing anyone should ever remember about him, because brutally murdering Ron and Nicole makes anything he did on the field irrelevant, it's what defines him as a person. I strongly suspect that if OJ had done this to someone you all loved or cared about, then you all wouldn't be so quick to gloat about how he's the greatest anything of all-time. And quite frankly the jokes being cracked in this thread make me sick. If the mods want to ban me then fine, go for it, hit me with your best shot, I'll survive without the forum.

Boy oh boy - some people will do anything to get out of an avatar bet. 😉

All kidding aside - I don't disagree with anything you said about OJ. But whadayagonnado? There's brutality out there that's infinitely worse all the time throughout the world. If we absorbed too much of the news each day, we might be afraid to get out of bed in the morning.

My view is that sports talk and coin & card collecting, is a nice escape from all of that nonsense. While being great fun at the same time. Even profitable as investments and such.

Sometimes humor, even dark humor to me makes everything out there a bit more tolerable as we go through this journey called life. 🙂

with all the years that have passed, I can now separate OJ the man and OJ the stat sheet. I do understand those who cannot, as what OJ was charged with was just terrible.

I well remember all the goings on and the trial back when it happened. what a circus that was. I remember they cut into the rockets/knicks finals to show the white bronco chase.

crazy times.

@dallasactuary said:
    I think it is impossible to identify a GOAT at any position in football, but in assembling the list of nominees Simpson absolutely has to be on it. Simpson had the same enormous disadvantage that Gale Sayers (also on the list) had; he played for a terrible team and he was the focus of the defense on virtually every play. What little success the Bills had was due primarily to Simpson.

who has more black ink as a RB than jim brown? he dominated his peers to a degree never seen before or since. You think it is "impossible" to identify him as the Goat RB?

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do think it's impossible, since it's a team game. The Browns were a very good team, top to bottom, and I don't see how you can dive down and figure out how much that helped Jim Brown. Had he played for the Cardinals instead of the Browns, what would his stats have been? I'm pretty sure they'd have been impressive, but I don't know if he'd still look like the GOAT or not.

All that said, if you made me pick a GOAT RB, I would pick Brown.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.

Two things:

1. When choosing a GOAT NFL player, all defensive players are eliminated from contention. This is because from pee wee league football to the NFL, the smartest, strongest, best athletes, etc, overall are always on offense. Yea I get it, Butkus, Lawrence Taylor, etc, were great players, but cannot be overall GOATs.

2. When talking about Brady as the GOAT, with me he's the GOAT QB, not the GOAT player. On my list, the GOAT NFL player is Jim Brown.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

OJ Simpson was great. Jim Brown IS the greatest of all time.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2023 4:45PM

I don't feel like stirring the pot. Lol

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Franco Harris is the best post-season Running back of all time :)

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited October 20, 2023 1:11AM

@doubledragon said:

Have you ever heard of a jealous husband losing his mind because his beautiful wife was cheating on him ?

This is a sports talk forum so I shouldn’t be addressing your non-sports related post, but thought you may be unaware of this.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3643014/amp/CONFIRMED-Nicole-Brown-Simpson-DID-affair-OJ-s-best-friend-Marcus-Allen-detailed-diary-Simpson-threatened-kill-wife-saw-one-month-death.html

There were men and women hung in America for this when our country first began, and women to this day in other countries. It’s a very horrible thing to have happen.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

Please let’s refrain from discussing anything that is not sports related.

Let’s “keep it on the field “ please.

Why come to this place and have to read about the murder/suicides related to cheating, when we can just talk about sports instead.

😊

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭✭

Craig
    I mean Jim Brown is undebatable as the greatest of all time (player IMHO).
    Payton was better than OJ. Walter was a complete back. OJ is in the top 10 for sure.

Jim Brown was the better actor also. Just ask Raquel Welch.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    Craig

:D

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

@jay0791 said:
    Craig
    Payton was better than OJ. Walter was a complete back. OJ is in the top 10 for sure.

Jim Brown was the better actor also. Just ask Raquel Welch.

Not sure if it was mentioned or not, but Brown could have set more NFL records if he didn't retire early due to a money dispute with the cheap owner, and an offer to star in movies. I think the "Dirty Dozen" was his first movie, and it's a great war movie with Brown having a key role.

Simpson also was in some movies. Although never on the same "movie star" level as Brown was.

can we just say that not only was Jim Brown the greatest RB of all time, but also, the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame regards him as the greatest Lacrosse player of all time...

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Jim Brown
    2. Barry Sanders

Brown averaged 104 rushing yards per game over his career and Sanders if you round it off averaged 100.
    Those are the only two guys who could have put the all time rushing yards record out of reach if they didn’t retire at 30 years old.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    can we just say that not only was Jim Brown the greatest RB of all time,

Anyone can say it just like I will say Sanders is the best ever

@4for4 said:
    Please let’s refrain from discussing anything that is not sports related.

Let’s “keep it on the field “ please.

Why come to this place and have to read about the murder/suicides related to cheating, when we can just talk about sports instead.

😊

So do as you say and not as you do?

Because dude that was fairly bizarre after your previous post. 🤔

DD by the way you keep being you love ya man but don’t get too angry at these guys they seem to be good ole boys 🍺