Options

Very unhappy .

124»

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

@marcmoish said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Will the OP unbunch his panties? Will the seller take the "opportunity" to tell there side of the story? Will there be a fight in the schoolyard at 3:30? Will the Mods close this thread? Stay tuned for the next episode of Soap. :p

for those that remember 20 years ago, this would have been great material for @clankeye and his great tales.
    I so miss those times.

Cool B)

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

If, and that's a huge if, the details are as the OP claims, I might have some sympathy.

But I've learned from prior threads that critical details are tough to get from him.

Could it be that the seller required payment (cleared funds) by a certain date, and the buyer didn't comply? (Just speculating on my part).

In any case, what can the rest of us do about it. It was a private deal on the BST. :/

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nexlevelnmx said:

@CalifornianKing said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@airplanenut said:

@lermish said:
    Should we expect any additional information to be slowly dragged out of you over the next several days?

Oh look, the next clue!

So he didn't actually purchase it. He expressed an interest and then didn't complete the deal.

To the OP, there is no sale to money changes hands. Again, this could be a learning experience for you. But, like your ebay thread, it looks to be headed for another pity party.

At first I thought "oh that sucks, he better get his money back".

But if you don't pay, it's not yours. I can understand being upset if you were assured they'd hold it for you (and even then, they have no obligation to do so unless you paid a deposit).

It had been paid that is the point.

Technically, it isn't paid till the payment goes through. Your payment was pending.

• Options
    OKCCOKCC Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

@jayPem said:
    I often get a pop up window here asking me if I want to read this forum in English or Arabic... considering making the switch.
    🤔

I get one that asks English or German. Could be good for practice.

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    If, and that's a huge if, the details are as the OP claims, I might have some sympathy.

But I've learned from prior threads that critical details are tough to get from him.

Could it be that the seller required payment (cleared funds) by a certain date, and the buyer didn't comply? (Just speculating on my part).

In any case, what can the rest of us do about it. It was a private deal on the BST. :/

THIS!! I also want to have sympathy for the OP, but previous posts the past few months have caused him to have this kind of response. And honestly, he needs to understand it was caused by him, and not us. Details lacking and inflammatory posts cause this, which is only the original poster. I tend to feel that sympathy is warranted here, but because of the lack of details from the beginning and his own style, he has figured out somehow to destroy his reputation at eBay, and this forum.

I do enjoy the entertainment of these threads, but if the OP is serious about making a business and such in coins, I have not seen a worse way to do it. I am at the point where he might think we are just Internet jokers and not the actual marketplace for selling and building a reputation. If he is trying to make a business and wants to do it right, there is still a chance, but the red flags are so severe at this point, I’m not sure if it is recoverable.

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    nexlevelnmxnexlevelnmx Posts: 335 ✭✭✭

I have been extremely busy hence why I havent been extremely perfect in the details..

• Options

It hasnt been fair..

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you do those crazy motorcycle flips and stuff?
    Cuz if you've been extremely busy doing that then I can understand how all these coinbiz details might get put on the back burner...
    🤘

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am reminded of a time I made a full asking price offer on a toned Peace Dollar on the BST, unfortunately I was too late and the seller had made a deal with someone else. Well about a month or more later I get a PM from the seller saying the deal fell through and that the coin was now available on GC. I was confused as to why he didn't contact me before going to GC to accept my previous offer but then felt it was a good idea to tell me about it being auctioned.. oh well. I did bid on it but I think it ended up selling for about twice what his asking price was here. Was I irritated? At the time maybe a little. Am I angry about it? No, I don't actually even remember who it was but I'm glad they made a nice profit on it.
    I know it's a completely different situation, but I am reminded of it nonetheless.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nexlevelnmx said:
    I can show pm

Don’t tempt us with a good time 😎

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

"But I've learned from prior threads that critical details are tough to get from him."
    And yet he has linked to the seller's thread and explained at least some of the transactions but seems restricted due to the nature of private messages. OTOH, the seller answers NOTHING.
    Hence, default award to the flawed buyer.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dhikewhitney said:

Barberian wrote "Maybe it was an honest mistake, maybe the seller figured out what they had IDK, but I'm willing to give the seller the benefit of the doubt unless presented with evidence to the contrary."

Since someone further up thread wrote twice ("The guy that he tried to buy it from has commented in this thread and could shed some light on this. Just sayin"

Since the seller was apparently on this thread and did not testify, I have to give greater weight to the complainant.
    A cherrypick gone awry seems the most likely explanation.
    Greed, which is what I abhor about coin collecting and dealing.

I abhor citing the wrong person.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@dhikewhitney said:

Barberian wrote "Maybe it was an honest mistake, maybe the seller figured out what they had IDK, but I'm willing to give the seller the benefit of the doubt unless presented with evidence to the contrary."

Since someone further up thread wrote twice ("The guy that he tried to buy it from has commented in this thread and could shed some light on this. Just sayin"

Since the seller was apparently on this thread and did not testify, I have to give greater weight to the complainant.
    A cherrypick gone awry seems the most likely explanation.
    Greed, which is what I abhor about coin collecting and dealing.

I abhor citing the wrong person.

Mea Culpa; the credit belongs to the upgrade (@UpGrayedd) and not the barbarian (@Barberian ) :smile:

BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭✭✭August 22, 2023 9:54PM
    @UpGrayedd said:
    I could be wrong, but reading between the lines it appears that the OP had a potential cherrypick that went south. Maybe it was an honest mistake, maybe the seller figured out what they had IDK, but I'm willing to give the seller the benefit of the doubt unless presented with evidence to the contrary.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

Can always say no

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭

@nexlevelnmx said:
    I did fulfill them
    I fulfilled every single obligation

But what does this have to with me not getting what I paid for.

now I haven't ready all the juicy coin gossip in the next three pages, but so far, I'm calling it for seller who was waiting 2 weeks for paypal. That's way too long and smells fishy. I think OP took too long to pay and the seller sold it to someone else because they thought they weren't going to be paid.

• Options
    edited August 24, 2023 3:17AM

Could be but it was a freakin echeck and I dont know what took paypal that long but it was an estimated time and it cleared. The seller knew!!

I fee like crap, but my site is up lol

• Options
    edited August 24, 2023 7:26AM

@tcollects said:

@nexlevelnmx said:
    I did fulfill them
    I fulfilled every single obligation

But what does this have to with me not getting what I paid for.

now I haven't ready all the juicy coin gossip in the next three pages, but so far, I'm calling it for seller who was waiting 2 weeks for paypal. That's way too long and smells fishy. I think OP took too long to pay and the seller sold it to someone else because they thought they weren't going to be paid.

The buyer paid but the e-check didn't clear immediately.

• Options

Correct..

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a cliff note version of this thread...

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2023 7:12AM

@habaraca said:
    from link looks like seller knew it was a 123 R5

If I was the seller and figuring out who the buyer was, I would just cancel the transaction out of pure fear of having to deal with buyer...
    case in point he offered me $130 for my 1828 123a.... so I just RAN in opposite direction.........................

Phil, I've got $150.

:)

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:

@habaraca said:

If I was the seller and figuring out who the buyer was, I would just cancel the transaction out of pure fear of having to deal with buyer...
    case in point he offered me $130 for my 1828 123a.... so I just RAN in opposite direction.........................

Phil, I've got $150.

Not so fast.

$160

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2023 7:26AM

@pursuitofliberty said:

@habaraca said:

Phil, I've got $150.

Not so fast.

$160

Phil, you promised me a good deal on your next coin. $120

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jacrispies said:

@pursuitofliberty said:

@habaraca said:

Phil, I've got $150.

Not so fast.

$160

Phil, you promised me a good deal on your next coin. $120

clicks ignore jacrispies

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options

@burfle23 said:

OP bought a coin on BST.
    OP paid via PayPal F&F with an e-check.
    There was a delay in the e-check clearing.
    In the meantime, the seller sold the coin to someone else.
    The seller refunded the OP.
    The OP is upset that the coin was sold when he had a purchase in process.

• Options

Correct
    So i want something good to come from this

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RYK said:
    It is threads like this that really make me wonder how some people can make it through the normal day, with the usual daily disappointments, obstacles, missed opportunities, glitches, etc.

My wife tells me this everyday when I leave the house

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@burfle23 said:

OP bought a coin on BST.
    OP paid via PayPal F&F with an e-check.
    There was a delay in the e-check clearing.
    In the meantime, the seller sold the coin to someone else.
    The seller refunded the OP.
    The OP is upset that the coin was sold when he had a purchase in process.

If this is true, it makes me wonder about the ethics of the BST seller. If this was an eBay seller I bet the forum would be all over the seller.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2023 8:14AM

@nexlevelnmx said:
    Correct

Well that’s why you have the free u1 slab offer with any u1 purchase. That’s as good as it’ll get from this thread.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m still waiting to find out about the motorcycle flips…
    It really just comes down to that for me.

• Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭

@ajaan said:
    If this is true, it makes me wonder about the ethics of the BST seller. If this was an eBay seller I bet the forum would be all over the seller.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), we do not know the seller’s version of this transaction.

Joe.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UncleJoe said:

@ajaan said:

Unfortunately (or fortunately), we do not know the seller’s version of this transaction.

Joe.

Not sure I would want to add to this train wreck if I were him...

Thanks for boiling it down for me @jmlanzaf ; this one is like running through a maze blindfolded.

Seems like a timing issue without any other "facts", and the buyer was made whole financially? Maybe the OP just needs a hug for his "something good"...

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nexlevelnmx said:
    Correct

If you are looking for a happy ending you would have better chances getting a massage. :p

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

Technically, it isn't paid till the payment goes through. Your payment was pending.

This really sums this up nicely.

To be technical, the op started the payment process. Why he chose an echeck... I mean we all know checks take up to 2 weeks to clear right? So technically he didn't pay for it until it cleared. Could it be argued that by accepting the echeck an agreement was made to complete the purchase? I'd say yes. But unless the seller specifically said he would wait for it to clear, then that was an assumption by the op.

Next, apparently the op sold the coin before the check cleared, and then refunded the money.

Do I blame the seller for 'making a mistake' as the op reported he was told? No... 2 weeks is a long time to wait and remember who he sold what to whom (yes I know there is message history etc). If they don't buy and sell regularly and keep good records, it can be difficult to keep track. Additionally the op mentioned something about a secretary or some such... When you have multiple people touching the coins, that leads to even more chances for error. I literally wrote a spreadsheet to keep track of my coins after a time.

In the end, whether mistake or getting a higher offer, either way ultimately the op hadn't executed on the payment. The seller did not receive payment until 2 weeks later. Was it the right thing for the seller to do? I'd say likely not. If it was an honest mistake, hey it happens. We will probably never know unless the seller pipes up, which he would probably be wise not to as the op has already proven to be... Less than forthcoming let's just say.

Ultimately the op was made right by the refund. No he didn't get to make a lot of money off a rare coin, and that can't be evaluated or replaced. So the only remedy is the refund. He has been made whole. There is nothing left to do by either party.

And, as others have pointed out this thread is ripe for locking by the mods as it breaks a primary rule here if not bashing others, companies or people.

• Options

Very good
    Although we did agree for it to get cleared..

This discussion has been closed.