Home Sports Talk
Options

The official 2023 New York Jets season thread

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

After that historical poor performance yesterday from the Giants, perhaps some former Giants fans will gravitate towards the Jets?

I noticed today on Ebay, every seller of Giants memorabilia was offering it for one cent, free shipping. 🤣

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    After that historical poor performance yesterday from the Giants, perhaps some former Giants fans will gravitate towards the Jets?

I noticed today on Ebay, every seller of Giants memorabilia was offering it for one cent, free shipping. 🤣

Yes, that's probably because the Giants have already been eliminated from playoff contention, better luck next year.

“There’s not enough money in the world to pull a man off the canvas when he has fallen face first, or to make him keep punching through a waterfall of blood and bone-dead exhaustion. That comes from somewhere else, some place deep and feral, where money has no meaning.” - William Dettloff

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

We've seen this movie before. The Jets get an old quarterback from Green Bay. He fails.

The Jets get another old quarterback from Green Bay. You fill in the blank.

When Jordan Love is almost ready to hang it up in 10 or 12 years, he might like some time, for big bucks, in the Big Apple too.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

my body is so ready for this game tonight!!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really???????? Rogers is out already!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

yup, that didnt take long.

• Options

Wow! The cart just pulled up to the medical tent and hauled Rodgers off......

• Options

Looks like an ankle problem - C'mon Rodgers - suck it up! Retape and a shot - should be ready to go by the second half! :D

• Options

is it bad? they carted him out from the tent. almost looked like a high ankle sprain or something

• Options

I hate to see Rodgers injured, I know I poke fun at him a lot, but I actually like the guy, and hate to see him injured like that, the season will be a lot less fun without him, I hope he's ok.

“There’s not enough money in the world to pull a man off the canvas when he has fallen face first, or to make him keep punching through a waterfall of blood and bone-dead exhaustion. That comes from somewhere else, some place deep and feral, where money has no meaning.” - William Dettloff

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I hate to see Rodgers injured, I know I poke fun at him a lot, but I actually like the guy, and hate to see him injured like that, the season will be a lot less fun without him, I hope he's ok.

I agree. I never like to see a player injured. I hope he is back quickly

• Options

@craig44 said:

@doubledragon said:

He's pretty tough, I've seen him play with rib injuries before, of course the ankle is different though with mobility and being able to move around, hopefully it isn't too bad, the forum needs him!

• Options

On the play he was injured, it looked like his left ankle kind of snapped, I hope it's not broken. Here's a photo of him, he's going to get x-rayed, you can see him on the cart far left, he's wearing a black air cast on his left ankle.

• Options

yeah, i was looking at the replay. I hope he didnt pop the Achilles.

• Options

officially out for game

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    On the play he was injured, it looked like his left ankle kind of snapped, I hope it's not broken.

Reported as: Xrays ruled negative - so not broken

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@doubledragon said:
    On the play he was injured, it looked like his left ankle kind of snapped, I hope it's not broken.

Reported as: Xrays ruled negative - so not broken

That's great news, I guess we'll have to wait and see how bad it is, but I'm reading he's definately been ruled out for the rest of the game, so here we go, I'll be following this very closely.

• Options

Ok, a Harvard surgeon has taken a look at the footage of the injury and had this to say:

"Aaron Rodgers injury appears to be either Lisfranc foot injury, ankle sprain or possibly even Achilles. Similar mechanism to JK Dobbins."

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@doubledragon said:

It's never a bad time to say...there was one QB who was ultra dependable and durable, always playing through pain and injury as well as going to any length to prepare his body.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    We've seen this movie before. The Jets get an old quarterback from Green Bay. He fails.

The Jets get another old quarterback from Green Bay. You fill in the blank.

When Jordan Love is almost ready to hang it up in 10 or 12 years, he might like some time, for big bucks, in the Big Apple too.

If Jordan love makes it a decade it would be absolutely shocking

• Options

Zach Wilson with a 35.9 QB rating at halftime. Looks like it's gonna be a very long season for Giants and Jets fans.

Oh well, at least New York fans have the Yankees and Mets to look forward to in the playoffs. Ooops.

Whoever said that piling on NY fans couldn't be fun? 😉😎

• Options

officially out for game> @thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@doubledragon said:

It's never a bad time to say...there was one QB who was ultra dependable and durable, always playing through pain and injury as well as going to any length to prepare his body.

you know that there has never been a thread that I couldnt throw in a nod to my Tommy...

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Ok, a Harvard surgeon has taken a look at the footage of the injury and had this to say:

"Aaron Rodgers injury appears to be either Lisfranc foot injury, ankle sprain or possibly even Achilles. Similar mechanism to JK Dobbins."

oh man, none of those sound good. I guess the ankle sprain would be the one to hope for. at least he would be back this season. I am afraid he blew the Achilles. at his age, that could be a career ender.

• Options

I'm guessing high ankle sprain. Back before mid-season. 🤷

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

hate that for A-Rodg, but Jets fans have absolutely nothing to worry about

• Options

I was just perusing Jets fan discussion online. They are throwing out names...Brady has been mentioned a few times.

No, Brady is not going there

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I was just perusing Jets fan discussion online. They are throwing out names...Brady has been mentioned a few times.

can you even imagine

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

I agree - not a snowball's chance of Brady going to any team, let alone the Jets.

Stranger things have happened, but that would be a shocker.

• Options

With everything that happened tonight it's hard to believe Jets are in a position to win

• Options
    edited September 11, 2023 8:14PM

@Steven59 said:
    With everything that happened tonight it's hard to believe Jets are in a position to win

But at the same time, as I type this it's going into overtime, and the Bills threw threw three picks plus had the fumble. So it goes both ways.

• Options

Wow

• Options

Congrats to the Jets for snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.

But how does a team like Buffalo only score 3 points in the entire second half, and those 3 points were on a last second long field goal to tie the game? I guess at halftime, the Bills figured they would phone it in from there.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough injury for Rodgers, but his backup Josh Allen did play extremely well for the Jets.
    Same ole Josh…….

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insanity

• Options
    edited September 11, 2023 8:36PM

And even though I really can't stand Rodgers I hope he is ok

• Options

If you are a Jets fan, obviously the win feels great. Reality, when it sinks in, will not be sweet. Josh Allen played like rookie Josh Allen. He gave you every opportunity, and you needed them, because the Jets without Aaron Rodgers look like the same old Jets, albeit with an even better defense than last ear. Which I'm sure makes it very frustrating for Jets fans to see Rodgers go down. And as for the Bills...they have the tools.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perk, I’ve never really liked him either but I did want to see what he could do with this jets offense.
    I’ve heard how hard he’s worked ever since he joined the jets so I feel bad for him.

• Options

they're saying he probably tore his achilles and is out for the season

MRI today (Tuesday)

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    they're saying he probably tore his achilles and is out for the season

MRI today (Tuesday)

Again....wow!!

• Options

It'll be interesting to see if the Jets make a play to bring in someone else to start at QB. The team seemed promising with defense looking good as well as the skill guys. Personally I do not have faith in Wilson.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

It'll be interesting to see if the Jets make a play to bring in someone else to start at QB. The team seemed promising with defense looking good as well as the skill guys. Personally I do not have faith in Wilson.

i suspect they'll give stifler's mom's boyfriend another looksie since he did kinda sorta lead them to victory in relief with the help of 19 Bills turnovers

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

I know right, no chance of Brady going to the Jets, that's just a silly suggestion. No, he'll take this season off, get rested up, and head to the Dolphins next year, muhahaha!

• Options
    edited September 12, 2023 2:59AM

Well, I am surprised by last night's turn of events, Rodgers goes down and the Jets still managed to get the win. Concerning Aaron Rodgers injury, Jets head coach Robert Saleh said last night that "Concerned with his Achilles, MRI is probably gonna confirm what we think is already gonna happen. So prayers tonight, but it's not good," Saleh said. I'm hearing that they think it's a torn Achilles and he could be done for the season.

• Options

This seriously sucks, what am I going to do without Aaron Rodgers?

• Options
    edited September 12, 2023 3:20AM

@Darin said:
    Perk, I’ve never really liked him either but I did want to see what he could do with this jets offense.
    I’ve heard how hard he’s worked ever since he joined the jets so I feel bad for him.

I had the Jets winning that division, now obviously it's probably the Bills or Miami, I wasn't all that high on the Bills going into this season, I said it a few times that I believe they will regress a bit, but the Dolphins are an undisciplined team with an atrocious Defense so who knows.

If the Pats play like they did in quarter 2, 3 and 4 they could actually be in the mix now

• Options

@stevek said:
    Zach Wilson with a 35.9 QB rating at halftime. Looks like it's gonna be a very long season for Giants and Jets fans.

Oh well, at least New York fans have the Yankees and Mets to look forward to in the playoffs. Ooops.

All the money in the world spent and nowhere to go.

This shows that the late George Steinbrenner and his GM, Cashman (aptly named) were brighter that folks gave them credit for being. Like so many sports organizations, throwing money at a team does not automatically produce a winner.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

just got up and heard the news. Buf found a way to lose the game and its looking like we will be without Arod this year.

I wonder if Rodgers will come back next year or call it a career. I have heard Achilles rehab is brutal for an athlete.

• Options

Could Josh Allen be the next Cam Newton, big name but washed up before anyone realized it?

• Options

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

All the money in the world spent and nowhere to go.

This shows that the late George Steinbrenner and his GM, Cashman (aptly named) were brighter that folks gave them credit for being. Like so many sports organizations, throwing money at a team does not automatically produce a winner.

I've seen that a number of times in the business world, whereby an owner's son takes over the family business, and runs it into the ground in various ways, usually thru incompetence.